• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LEGO |OT 4| EVERYTHING IS AWESOME!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Edit: Did anyone pick up the Lego Ideas Exo Suit? It looks pretty sweet, even though I'd have liked it to be more colorful. Worth picking up?

I thought it was amazing. One of my favorite sets from last year behind the mini cooper and Parisian restaraunt. It's so unique compared to anything else Lego, the detailing is great, its awesome to see green classic space figures, everything about it is great. Only flaw is that it's a little fragile, some of the greebly bits tend to fall off, but that was never much of an issue for me. I definitely recommend it.

Ponn

Banned
Lego store manager confirmed Wall-E delay. He said it was unknown when it would hit now.

But, they had the Halloween seasonal set in, so I left with that and Airjitzu Temple, and a small PAB cup. They let me fill it with parts from the build a model stuff. So I have TONS of eyes now. :)

I have no idea whats going on with Wall-E now. It sounds like its going to be a clusterfuck to get now on top of it probably being a popular set for the holidays.

So what's gonna happen with all those wall e sets toys r us are selling right now? Crazy expensive EBay prices? But yeah I really don't see why they're delaying it if it's really because of the loose neck issue. Theyd basically have to change the design which I'd imagine would be a huge delay, long enough to miss the holidays.

Rootbeer

Banned
Lego store manager confirmed Wall-E delay. He said it was unknown when it would hit now.

But, they had the Halloween seasonal set in, so I left with that and Airjitzu Temple, and a small PAB cup. They let me fill it with parts from the build a model stuff. So I have TONS of eyes now. :)

Can you confirm they didn't have the Thanksgiving set? Hearing conflicting info on when it is available. I heard it might be Sept 1st.

Can you confirm they didn't have the Thanksgiving set? Hearing conflicting info on when it is available. I heard it might be Sept 1st.
They didn't have Thanksgiving but expected it. They seemed surprised they didn't have it. I had to ask for Halloween as it was behind the register on the floor.

Fishlake

Edit: Did anyone pick up the Lego Ideas Exo Suit? It looks pretty sweet, even though I'd have liked it to be more colorful. Worth picking up?
I have that. I really like it, it is very unique. I didn't find it very fragile but perhaps I'm just careful.

For Wall-E I think changing the head to a technic beam joint, that works on the y axis, could be done to prevent the weight shifting on the sides. You might need to reinforce it though as that head looks heavy. I think I would approach it that way and sacrifice the turning on the top of the neck. You could also probably change the base of the neck to allow for x,z turns. This does lose some expressions though so it is not perfect.
Thinking more about it, I'm not even sure this would work.

ghostmind

Wait, which Ant Man set? I have the one with Antony and the 3 figs - there was another?

No, that's the one.

If your set came with 195 pieces, its the revised version, if it came with 183 its the original.

You would have to count the pieces though, because they didn't change the count on the box.

chidrock

This is the second time this year that LEGO's had to recall/delay. What's going on TLG?

Did they adjust something on the Exo-Suit, or was that just someone's own adjustment to make it more stable?

I remember they had to change something on the space shuttle a couple of years ago too.

Rootbeer

Banned
No, that's the one.

If your set came with 195 pieces, its the revised version, if it came with 183 its the original.

You would have to count the pieces though, because they didn't change the count on the box.
what all is different? I have the set... guess I better count my pieces.

WillyFive

dsc00142.jpg
dsc00073.jpg

Finally got some new Legos! I was a huge fan of Bionicle during the early Toa Mata and Bohrock days, so I couldn't resist when I saw the new Lewa and Kopaka on clearance. It was a total joy to build these, props to Lego for their new Action Figure parts system. It looks very different from Technic, but at the same time feels like classic Lego. I love how pose able they are, they are fantastic for displaying and stop motion. In fact, it got me motivated to play around with them and make a really short stop motion cartoon out of the toys:

It was a nightmare trying to pose the old Toa Mata, but I was able to make the new ones do back flips and everything.

wetwired

I've seen people post here in Australia who have already picked them up! is this bizarro world?

I will sort and count tomorrow, but I got a ton of eyes and 1x1 round chrome tiles today. Tons of green bow pieces as well.

Edit: Wetwired, many in USA got Wall-E as well. I know my TRU has some already on a truck on the way in. I wanna try and snag one before the supposed recall. It will be a nice collectors item.

Edit: Wetwired, many in USA got Wall-E as well. I know my TRU has some already on a truck on the way in. I wanna try and snag one before the supposed recall. It will be a nice collectors item.

First came the misprinted "sheild" piece from the BTTF set, followed by last year's "Artic Batman". I'm beginning to think it's just an annual tradition to recall a set.

I was cleaning up a thrift store haul tonight and came across this grey piece. I know it isn't LEGO, but it is ringing a hell of a lot of nostalgia bells for me. Anybody know what it's from? I remember slotting a bunch of flat bars into those nubs but have no idea what building set it came from.

Toxi

Banned
dsc00142.jpg
dsc00073.jpg

Finally got some new Legos! I was a huge fan of Bionicle during the early Toa Mata and Bohrock days, so I couldn't resist when I saw the new Lewa and Kopaka on clearance. It was a total joy to build these, props to Lego for their new Action Figure parts system. It looks very different from Technic, but at the same time feels like classic Lego. I love how pose able they are, they are fantastic for displaying and stop motion. In fact, it got me motivated to play around with them and make a really short stop motion cartoon out of the toys:

It was a nightmare trying to pose the old Toa Mata, but I was able to make the new ones do back flips and everything.
Awesome animation. Glad to see you enjoying the great new Bionicles.

ericb!

Neo Member
I was cleaning up a thrift store haul tonight and came across this grey piece. I know it isn't LEGO, but it is ringing a hell of a lot of nostalgia bells for me. Anybody know what it's from? I remember slotting a bunch of flat bars into those nubs but have no idea what building set it came from.

That's a Construx piece.

Ponn

Banned
Well with this Wall-E fiasco i'm thinking of not even placing an order for Sept. Seems better to just hold off till Oct. and place a couple orders for multiple holiday trains to make a big train for my winter village.

It is... wait what do you mean D:

Money Pit
noun
an ongoing drain on financial resources, such as a house in frequent need of costly repairs or improvement.

In terms of LEGO, improvement means you need to add more to your modular street until you run out of space or money.

A small DC 2016 tidbit:

Cycle Chase has Batman and Harley on motorcycles, and Firefly flying.

Sounds like it will be the modern version of Harley with the CMF Zombie Cheerleader hair.

Very happy they are doing different versions of Harley. LEGO needs to do some variations with Spider-man.

2016 Star Wars set news (via Hulk_Smash on Eurobricks):

The Carbon Freezing chamber is just stair and a platform, but does have Boba, and an Ugnaught (with frozen Han).

Hoth Attack has Rebel Troopers and a Probe Droid.

Microfighter Ghost has Hera, Tie has Pilot, Wookie ship has Wookie, AT-DP has pilot.

Battlefront Rebels battle pack has a speeder and 4 Rebels, one of which is a Rodian.
Battlefront Empire battle pack has 4 Stormtroopers, and a vehicle/weapon.

Every time I think I'm almost done with OT Star Wars sets, they come up with something else.

Marvel 2016 info.

Avengers Space Mission: Captain America Spacesuit Variant, Captain Marvel, Hyperion, Iron Man Spacesuit Variant, and Thanos Big-fig.

Iron Skull Submarine Attack: Red Skull, a Hydra goon, a Scuba Iron Man, and Cap, who is captured in a cage, the sub itself is kinda of like a scaled down version of the Force Awakens landing craft.

Racers: Red Skull vs Cap, Spidey vs Goblin (which looks to be a different one then in the juniors set) and Hulk vs Ultron.

At least three "Civil War" sets.

I don't get why LEGO is doing a great job on variety with Marvel sets and not so much with DC sets. It's like they do the opposite between DC and Marvel. With their "anchor" minifigs, DC they vary Batman, but Marvel they only have 1 Spider-Man (Peter Parker).

Got my X-Agents earlier in the week. I think the package says "Toy Pants". They're great minifigures but I wish I got wetwired to sign the back of the printed card.

He'd probably sign it "Burnt Water".

dsc00142.jpg
dsc00073.jpg

Cool! I didn't realize you did that until someone commented on it.

How long did that animation take you?
What software do you use to do the green screen?
I've been toying with doing some stop motions, but it seems like a huge time commitment to do something decent.

willp2003

Did they adjust something on the Exo-Suit, or was that just someone's own adjustment to make it more stable?

The only thing that was a bit unstable was around the shoulder area, but someone suggest putting a 3L bar through it to help hold it together. The other mod I copied from someone was to change the arms from using barrels back to the original design.

Well with this Wall-E fiasco i'm thinking of not even placing an order for Sept.

This is such a storm in a tea-cup :lol

The head definitely spins too freely at certain angles but honestly, it's not going to affect your enjoyment of it at all because you wouldn't display it at those angles - he has to be looking up for the weight to be distributed wrong and it's just not a natural position to display him at. And even then he still looks forward unless you push his head to the side to unbalance it!

I can see why Lego want to "fix" it, but it's definitely a fine model even as it is.

Fumoffu

Neo Member
Hey LEGOGAF,

Thought I'd share some of my sets:

P2Hd5pV.jpg

WrmmGXp.jpg

Had to break down some of modulars and MCU sets this week to make room for the new TFA sets in my apartment. Can't wait for them -- MF and X-Wing is a must for me, might wait for the Tie fighter and snowspeeder to go on sale first.

I agree that for most of us this won't be a problem as it will be a display piece, but for kids for want to wheel it round, you'd be a bit unhappy with his head whizzing round.

I don't think it'd take long for a kid to realise they should just wheel him around by the head if that was a big problem though.

Obviously if people want to wait for the "fixed" version that's fine, but I'm pretty happy that I've got him now, he's fit for purpose as far as what I want hom for =)

mrklaw

MrArseFace
They have not had a recall since 2009, I doubt this is going to get one because as others have said it would have to be a complete redesign.

A review of the set with the issue at around the 2 minute mark.

When was the problem with the shuttle set? I don't think they recalled, but they sent parts packs out to people to strengthen the set. Maybe they could do the same with wall-E? I'd gladly have the set and then just have Lego send me a couple of pieces rather than skip what looks to me like one of the sets of the year.

taoofjord

Hey LEGOGAF,

Thought I'd share some of my sets:

Had to break down some of modulars and MCU sets this week to make room for the new TFA sets in my apartment. Can't wait for them -- MF and X-Wing is a must for me, might wait for the Tie fighter and snowspeeder to go on sale first.

Awesome sets! Also, that poor Detolf! :)

Book 2 of Sydney Opera House complete. There's no specific wow moment, but lots and lots of clever geometry taking care of the angles of the pier and the walls. Well, one rather cool moment is when you set up the back walls (the glassed back of the opera and theatre) and they stretch from a hinge, across a jumper plate and connect to a slightly tilted 2x2 turntable.

And boy is this thing solid. At this scale, it basically becomes a question of engineering to make the connections hold up. After sliding the two baseplate sections together and adding just a few tiles on top, you can pick up the entire thing by the middle bars and wield it as a shield!

Hedera

Is this Wall-e situation going to affect the release date on the online Lego Shop? Anyone know? It still says "Coming Soon on 1 Sep 2015".

D

Deleted member 10571

Unconfirmed Member
First came the misprinted "sheild" piece from the BTTF set, followed by last year's "Artic Batman". I'm beginning to think it's just an annual tradition to recall a set.

It's Construx :)

Remembering all the glow-in-the-dark spacey stuff fondly

WillyFive

Cool! I didn't realize you did that until someone commented on it.

How long did that animation take you?
What software do you use to do the green screen?
I've been toying with doing some stop motions, but it seems like a huge time commitment to do something decent.

The actual animation part took me like one or two hours; but the entire thing took me a weekend to do, from building the sets, finding my old camera and getting it to work, making the special effects, etc.

The software I used was Sony Movie Studio, this one here: http://www.sonycreativesoftware.com/moviestudiope

I don't have a green or blue screen, so I shot the Legos against a wall with no features (the same one in the photo), and chroma keyed that color out. It worked well with these specific Lego sets (although if you look closely the white parts became transparent).

Stop motion, like any sort of animation, takes a while to do; but it's worth it once you have something completed.

And book 3, making the bigger upper section. Indeed, the sails were interesting, mostly because of how they are connected, but the actual build was rather dull. I'm figuring out how to use the curved slopes for other stuff later though. The neatest sections were the ends of the building with the huge glass walls, and the small multi-angled part that fills in between the sail parts.

I'm probably gonna sit this wall E situation out until the final 'revized' version comes out, hopefully it's less than two months from now.

I really don't see how they can fix the rotation problem without making the head stationary. There aren't many ways to get things rotating on an axis like that besides a technic pin.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
I'll be a few different pieces and almost certainly available from Lego customer services for free for existing customers. They sent me a much bigger parts pack for the shuttle reinforcement for no charge and no need to send the original back. Buy and enjoy.

Oh man, I think I have the LEGO bug. All because someone posted about LEGO in the off-topic forum a week ago and I was directed here. I haven't even received a set yet (I've ordered the Ecto-1 and Pirates Chess) and I already have these grand plans for future builds.

I eventually want to do a pirate ship MOC. I'm thinking of buying the Sea Cow for parts and building experience/techniques, but I will have to supplement this with more parts. LEGO pick-a-brick will meet some of these requirements, but is there a good site that sells unique parts not offered there. I saw a lot of stuff through third-party vendors on Amazon, but I wondered if there was a better option.

I think I am already in too deep. Thanks for any tips.

Oh man, I think I have the LEGO bug. All because someone posted about LEGO in the off-topic forum a week ago and I was directed here. I haven't even received a set yet (I've ordered the Ecto-1 and Pirates Chess) and I already have these grand plans for future builds.

I eventually want to do a pirate ship MOC. I'm thinking of buying the Sea Cow for parts and building experience/techniques, but I will have to supplement this with more parts. LEGO pick-a-brick will meet some of these requirements, but is there a good site that sells unique parts not offered there. I saw a lot of stuff through third-party vendors on Amazon, but I wondered if there was a better option.

I think I am already in too deep. Thanks for any tips.

Bricklink. You can buy individual parts from sellers there. Each seller has a page and you can browse through their catalog. Once you chose your parts you fill out an invoice with the seller and as soon as they send you an email you can pay through PayPal. Make sure to only buy from highly rated stores though to avoid messed up pieces. Only thing is that you have to be careful which parts you choose and from who because shipping can add up if you buy from, say, 7 different sellers. Gotta keep the amount of sellers you're buying from low.

Also Lego digital designer is great. You can digitally construct out your builds there, create a parts list and order the parts through bricklink. I do this cause I'm not willing to tear down sets I like and I don't want to buy two of them cause that's way too much money.

Bricklink. You can buy individual parts from sellers there. Each seller has a page and you can browse through their catalog. Once you chose your parts you fill out an invoice with the seller and as soon as they send you an email you can pay through PayPal. Make sure to only buy from highly rated stores though to avoid messed up pieces. Only thing is that you have to be careful which parts you choose and from who because shipping can add up if you buy from, say, 7 different sellers. Gotta keep the amount of sellers you're buying from low.

Also Lego digital designer is great. You can digitally construct out your builds there, create a parts list and order the parts through bricklink. I do this cause I'm not willing to tear down sets I like and I don't want to buy two of them cause that's way too much money.

Cool, I'll check it out. Thanks for the tips.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom