• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[Mafia] NX Launch Night |OT| Back of the Line!

Darryl

Banned
Tim messed up his spreadsheet but someone did actually vote for Karkador before he voted for himself. I have no clue if Darryl is watching in any form but if you see this post, how do you feel about your vote on Karkador? Planning to keep it there?

No I just wanted someone else to take the hot seat and low and fucking behold it worked like a charm. Jesus. I skimmed so far but I am pretty sure Kark is running the same complaints that I am having with day 1s. They can be a total waste if people aren't smart about it. These overly aggressive intros by themselves I think favor lynching PRs, who are going to be cautious like mafia yet without support

NqdWvJ4.jpg

Sorian

Banned
Unless he is mafia, he has just as much information as we do right now.

Barring masons of course.

No I just wanted someone else to take the hot seat and low and fucking behold it worked like a charm. Jesus. I skimmed so far but I am pretty sure Kark is running the same complaints that I am having with day 1s. They can be a total waste if people aren't smart about it. These overly aggressive intros by themselves I think favor lynching PRs, who are going to be cautious like mafia yet without support

So how would you like to be smart about day 1? Shall we sit in a neat circle and discuss our feelings for the day?

Ourobolus

Banned
Blarg, what's your opinion of Salva?

As for masons, true. But that doesn't really give him much either - just who NOT to lynch rather than a target.

Sorian

Banned

As for masons, true. But that doesn't really give him much either - just who NOT to lynch rather than a target.

I like to always pretend that Blarg's riddles will lead me to a magical place. I know they aren't actually coming from a place of all mighty knowledge. He seems to less chatty than usual though. Is this the legendary scum Blarg?

Real talk: What do you want to do today?

What are your thoughts on Kark's roleclaim and lightning rodding?

You agree with him about being smart, yet it's the opposite of a smart play from any standpoint.

Darryl

Banned
What are your thoughts on Kark's roleclaim and lightning rodding?

You agree with him about being smart, yet it's the opposite of a smart play from any standpoint.

I don't think it's a smart play. It's a dumb play, let's take a look at the enablers who are actively allowing a self-claimed townie to off himself.

I don't think it's a smart play. It's a dumb play, let's take a look at the enablers who are actively allowing a self-claimed townie to off himself.

Enablers? Lol?

Let's back up for a second. I'm not going to get into crazy metagaming here, but Kark is an experienced player. Why would he purposely out himself, a move which most everyone has agreed really dumb?

Portrayed character's feet are partially cropped off despite the available space, background is featureless yet sorely lacks transparency, references are noted and appreciated but overall aesthetic is roughly executed to the detriment of its potential appeal.

image.php

4/10

Ourobolus

Banned
Enablers? Lol?

Let's back up for a second. I'm not going to get into crazy metagaming here, but Kark is an experienced player. Why would he purposely out himself, a move which most everyone has agreed really dumb?
That's where I'm confused.

1) he's telling the truth, and he's just lowered the available mafia night targeting pool by one
2) he's lying, but town, and is making himself a martyr despite being a power role
3) he's lying, but mafia, and is purposefully making himself a target hoping we don't call his bluff

None of these situations are ideal.

Sorian

Banned

At this point, you don't think we basically have to call the bluff? I have a hard time believing we can move on with him, he's dead weight or scum.

Was I supposed to choose the blue pill?

Blue pill.

I already took the blue pill. Sorry man.

1) he's telling the truth, and he's just lowered the available mafia night targeting pool by one
2) he's lying, but town, and is making himself a martyr despite being a power role
3) he's lying, but mafia, and is purposefully making himself a target hoping we don't call his bluff

4) He's a Jester, Tim laughs

Yes, all 3 situations are garbage, This is a stupid play just to make a point about lynch vs. no lynch. Something else is going on.

1) after all the shit we've with people getting called out for role calming early, you think it's at all likely Kark would legit claim?
2) possible, but dumb because of this reaction we've had
3) I feel like Kark is probably the kind of player who instead of going into the compounded bluffs, will just take the simplest logic then allow us to turn our heads around trying to figure out what he was thinking or how many levels of reverse psychology there are. I'm not falling for it.

Fireblend

Banned
Sorry I couldn't post much after earlier today, I spent the rest of the day outside and just got back home.

Anwyay, about Kark's offer, I don't think we should focus on that just yet - I'm more worried about what it's being used for than about the offer itself. One minute we were having a useful lynch vs. no lynch conversation and the next Kark's made the discussion be about himself. I also don't think it's healthy at all to have such an easy target on day 1 - it will greatly devalue future reads if today had a "free target" for people to pile onto that will be useless for other people to contrast against future actions.

Also, even though I couldn't have posted more, it feels to me like day 1 is very "meta strat heavy", and I don't have much mafia experience to draw upon or a character reputation to maintain like Blarg, so I don't feel like me giving more than these sort of impressions would enrich the conversation. I don't think random prodding counts for much.

Sorian

Banned
Also, even though I couldn't have posted more, it feels to me like day 1 is very "meta strat heavy", and I don't have much mafia experience to draw upon or a character reputation to maintain like Blarg, so I don't feel like me giving more than these sort of impressions would enrich the conversation. I don't think random prodding counts for much.

You're reading too much into it. We are all flailing. Come flail with us, based on the rest of your post, you seem to understand why it's important.

Sorian

Banned
Alright, I'm going to go to bed but I'm going to highlight some names (a lot of names in all honesty).

cabbeh, TheGoddamn, roytheone, Fireblend, Burbeting, Lone_Prodigy, Blargonaut, RetroMG

So 8 people there, a majority of the thread, and only 2 out of those 8 have posted since Kark's little stunt, and only 1 out of those 2 mentioned Kark's little stunt. I don't expect everyone to shimmy in while I'm sleeping because that would be too convenient but I hope to hear from all of you soon. Not only do I want to hear thoughts on the Kark situation but I want to hear what you make of other things that were happening before Kark turned on his lightning rod and what you think about how people have reacted to it.

Palmer_v1

Alright, I'm going to go to bed but I'm going to highlight some names (a lot of names in all honesty).

cabbeh, TheGoddamn, roytheone, Fireblend, Burbeting, Lone_Prodigy, Blargonaut, RetroMG

So 8 people there, a majority of the thread, and only 2 out of those 8 have posted since Kark's little stunt, and only 1 out of those 2 mentioned Kark's little stunt. I don't expect everyone to shimmy in while I'm sleeping because that would be too convenient but I hope to hear from all of you soon. Not only do I want to hear thoughts on the Kark situation but I want to hear what you make of other things that were happening before Kark turned on his lightning rod and what you think about how people have reacted to it.

Don't use highlight tags. I think it's how they search for votes, sometimes? Just better to keep the red text specifically for actual actions and results.

cabot

Burbeting, roy and I are europe timezone, so as you all decided to have at it, we were all dreaming about electric sheep.

Kark. Kark, Kark, Kark. Can't say I'm entirely sure of the play here, as discussed, I don't see any particular benefit from it, and if anything it comes off as a bizarre way to make a point about no lynch. I'm in the 'believe lynching from the off is useful' camp, so I'll go for one. I'm not quite settled on calling Kark's bluff yet.

Why not? Because Blarg is here, and all I've seen are photos, random numbering, and fish gifs. I may be dreaming for an impossible happiness, but I'd like some real substance from him before I switch my vote barring no other craziness happens.

Karkador

Banned
Under the assumption that you are telling the truth, you've directed all conversation away from scum hunting to instead GUARANTEE that we are discussing one of our own.

I disagree that the conversation has been directed away from scumhunting. Just read what people are saying, or perhaps not saying.

Darryl

Banned
At this point, you don't think we basically have to call the bluff? I have a hard time believing we can move on with him, he's dead weight or scum

I don't know what you should do. I just know that it isn't organic feeling and I can't get reads off it. He could be playing any level of fuckery. Get him close to an eviction, than he claims PR and forces a no evict. Who knows?

Darryl

Banned
Why not? Because Blarg is here, and all I've seen are photos, random numbering, and fish gifs. I may be dreaming for an impossible happiness, but I'd like some real substance from him before I switch my vote barring no other craziness happens.

I think he was calling launchpad a flip-flopper because he jumped from evicting me to evicting Kark. That is a contribution, even if it exists only within my own head.

cabot

I think he was calling launchpad a flip-flopper because he jumped from evicting me to evicting Kark. That is a contribution, even if it exists only within my own head.

Trying to understand someone via third party is exactly what I want in a game of Mafia.

Oh wait, no it isn't!

roytheone

Jesus, can you guys let us Europeans sleep in peace for once WITHOUT doing something crazy? Anyway, my thoughts on the whole Kark situation:

I actually do see where Kark is coming from. We are probably going to lynch a Fun aligned player today, so going for damage control and lynch somebody that we are pretty certain of isn't a PR isn't the worst idea in the world (and I am pretty certain Kark isn't a PR, or else putting himself on the line like this is incredibly stupid). However, I do not like the way he is doing it. There were plenty of discussions going on in this thread ( about day 1 lynch, about batsnacks kinda weird way of posting, about quick votes to try to prod people etc.) and we have still quite a bit of time in the day. So why did he came out with this so incredibly soon on the day? Sure, how people react to this will give us reads, but if he waited an extra real life day with this we would also get those reactions, plus we would get reactions of more people on the other subjects. Now this whole Kark thing is going to dominate the conversation for the rest of the day, which is unfortunate, especially considering some people have yet to make a real on topic post.

So I am actually not against Kark his "damage control" plan per se (though I do want to add that damage control should not focus purely on PR VS no-PR, a very good no-PR player can actually be more valuable to us than a PR player), but I do find his timing to be a bit.......weird.

roytheone

Also, I do not like that Kark seems to want to make the lynch discussion solely about damage control. I am OK with Damage control if there are two potential mafia on the chopping block and I think one of them would be a bigger loss for Fun if he flips town (for example because I think he is a PR or a very good player), but solely voting for someone because of damage control with no other reason is a weird thing to do. Damage control can be part of your reason to vote/not vote for someone, but it should never be the sole reason.

VOTE: Blargonaut

He hasn't posted since the game has started, and hell, I want to see if I am responded with via a riddle.

Oh don't worry. I am 100% certain I will regret this

sorry Sorianchan

¬_____¬

>:E

happy, roy?

Trying to understand someone via third party is exactly what I want in a game of Mafia.

Oh wait, no it isn't!

brb on a train

Weekend has been hectic, with a work conference and now my girlfriend is ill. I'm going to be able to post tomorrow, I hope. All the trains are broken in my country.

The Karkador thing has derailed the conversation, perhaps according to plan. The speed at which this thread is updating as a result is almost overwhelming. The side effect is that D1 is even more useless than usual; who's going to sift through all of this?

Can someone tell me why Karkador would want to derail day 1 discussion? As in, what other reason besides being mafia could Kark have for making a role claiming and lightning rodding?

A lot of people seem to be unsure here, so let me make it simple. Whatever Kark was thinking when he made that post, it was 100% anti-town. Whether it was foolishness or malice, we'll find out when he flips, but this is an experienced player. Don't take that for granted, because you will regret it.

I'd also like to point out who has decided to white knight for Kark:

Ignores my legitimate responses, pulls out something insignificant and uses it as evidencd. I voted for you to pressure you, I said it. Karkador made a very telegraphed and unnecessary play early on, so I targeted him in earnest. I don't know if it's against me or for Kark, but Darryl is worth keeping an eye on.

Sorry I couldn't post much after earlier today, I spent the rest of the day outside and just got back home.

Anwyay, about Kark's offer, I don't think we should focus on that just yet - I'm more worried about what it's being used for than about the offer itself. One minute we were having a useful lynch vs. no lynch conversation and the next Kark's made the discussion be about himself. I also don't think it's healthy at all to have such an easy target on day 1 - it will greatly devalue future reads if today had a "free target" for people to pile onto that will be useless for other people to contrast against future actions.

"We should totally ignore this wild and unnecessary play and instead focus on lynching someone randomly."

Uh-huh.

I disagree that the conversation has been directed away from scumhunting. Just read what people are saying, or perhaps not saying.

Karkador always seems to be more focused on trying to point out what we're doing wrong as opposed to trying to justify his actions.

Top Bottom