• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Uncharted The Nathan Drake Collection gameplay

dan2026

After the latest disappointing mess the was the Dishonored remaster, I am really for some decent ports of last gen games.

Watched it on my phone but I'll check it out properly tonight. Scrubbed up really well though; if you didn't know any different it could pass for a new current gen release.

Just because you refuse to believe it doesn't make it less true.

Why waste resources on redoing the U2 multiplayer and U3 multiplayer and have both lobbies only half full while waiting ages to get a match going. The U4 beta should be enough for people.

Some people need to build a bridge and get over it.

I'm not overly broken up about the exclusion of multiplayer from the collection, but the U4 beta isn't much of a consolation prize. I'll gladly be wrong about this, but how long is it realistically going to last, a week, maybe two? After that it's back to waiting a few more months for U4 to release. That might be enough for some people, but i'm sure it won't quench the thirst of long time fans of Uncharted mp. Hopefully MGO will tide me over until U4 comes out. :)

I'm guessing they will want to get the beta out in october/november, certainly before black friday, because i can see some people holding off from buying the collection until the beta is underway and if that takes too long the price will have dropped significantly by then. Eric Monacelli also seemed to hint that it will come out before the end of the year in the Gamespot stream.

Multiplayer would have been a waste and their reasoning is reasonable.

As far as the 60 frames comment, I get what he was saying because from a viewer's POV, sometimes it can look fast forwarded. He wasn't saying that that was the case here, he was asking if they were worried about that and unless I'm remembering wrong, I thought they even brought that issues with aiming and animation could arise if it wasn't done right. Valid points.

I just can't wait to replay the atmospheric original with polished visuals, holy shit!

Harmen

Is there any particular reason why the PS4 version is consistently more dark and less colourful?

It isn't consistently darker, it depends on the lightning. Some previously dark spots are now pretty clear.

The colors are indeed toned down a bit in places. I think it is to lean a tad towards a more natural look and accomodate for more details (less brightness). See this gif from page 4 and look at the red paint. Also look at the pillar, it looks darker because the shadows and it puts more emphasis on the details.

ccjipi0.gif

I think it looks great. It is not like the forests in the games will look like Fallout now, for example. The variety in shadows and smaller details in colorpatterns are more clear this way.

lol at people worrying about the colors, all this work thats going on to change 3 games, and the thing and the most some people are worrying about are the colors? LOL The game looks very good. 1080p 60 fps....not 30.

I cant wait to see the updated versions of these!

Yup, Uncharted 3 pretty much blows away a lot of games that are on current-gen consoles; you could easily mistake it for one.

Also the fourth screenshot makes me want an open world Uncharted game, idk why lol. It looks like a city you could visit in an open world game; very detailed and dat draw distance on PS3 hardware is very impressive.

gamerMan

Yes, they did not change much of geometry.

As was said in gamespot interview, BP sat with ND and they looked at all games and found spots where old games looked most rough, and they worked hard on upgrading those spots. Some of those spots were geometry-based, but most were not.

I agree, but it is obvious that the character sports more geometry. Even with the low video quality, it is easy to see Nate's hair has a lot more geometry than the previous game.

There is nothing too dramatic in terms of lighting and level geometry. Everything still has an angular look. The geometry and lighting on the level look untouched for the most part except for maybe an additional light here and there. There are no drastic changes in the quality of the lighting which I would have like to see. However, the ambient occlusion on the character model is now a lot more accurate than before. Although it doesn't look next gen, these Uncharted games still look amazing.

Most of the changes are because of the texture bump. It looks nice but I am pretty sure that Naughty Dog must have built high resolution maps for everything and scaled them down to fit into Ps3 memory. This is what was done in the Last Of Us Remaster.

For people who have never played Uncharted, this looks like a great way to play the series and a great way for people to get their hands on the multiplayer beta.

Huggers

So excited to play these again. Uncharted 2 is one of the best games of all time. Definite day 1 purchase for me.

LastNac

Yup, Uncharted 3 pretty much blows away a lot of games that are on current-gen consoles; you could easily mistake it for one.

Also the fourth screenshot makes me want an open world Uncharted game, idk why lol. It looks like a city you could visit in an open world game; very detailed and dat draw distance on PS3 hardware is very impressive.

I don't know about that.

thelastword

Banned
So it seems we can have great IQ and framerate.

What a concept.
What a concept indeed. I've seen some really good looking 60fps games this gen, it's just a shame when we get sub 30fps ports of last gen games or even badly developed new releases like RE-R2, Remake etc..

Can't wait for texturezilla Uncharted 2 in 60fps
Uncharted 1 had the best textures, there's a part in one of the later chapters in UC1 that never got eclipsed for textures imo, even some of the early chapter, some scenes are coming to mind atm.......It will be nice to see on my tv the improvements in all games.

Many persons thought that only UC1 got an overhaul, but it appears UC2 and UC3 got some heft updates and improvements to geometry as well.

looks like after god of war 3 lazy port sony has learned somehting
GOW3-R is not what you call a lazy port, a lazy port is doing absolutely no improvements to textures and lighting or anything significant and still running sub 30fps, well that's the lowest anyway, there are different scales.

GOW3-R could be better agreed, they could push the improvements a little more like Bluepoint/Naughty is doing, but it is a very well done remaster regardless. It's a fluid 60fps at 1080p. Better AA, better models, they could have done more with textures and geometry etc...but as a remaster If Redux was an A, I'd give it an A-

Looks like AO has been scaled back, or even gone in some cases.
Don't do like DF on this, darker looking halos don't always translate to better quality AO.

I'm not sure that'd be a good idea. You can tell that they are a company that sets high standards for themselves, but they're lack of any original IP kinda speaks that these guys don't really care to create. They want to ensure that any task given to them will be of the highest quality and there's not really anyone better. The only comparable Port-house I can think of is Nixxes.
Bluepoint is amazing so is Nixxes, but Hexadrive is the best. After what these guys did with ZOE2 (doubled the framerate, improved textures and lighting, implemented AA, improved resolution) and after what they did with Okami on PS3...?, They really need to be heralded as having the edge over those two. Bluepoint and Nixxes are not far behind, but Hexa is on the throne.

I cant stand motion blur. I hope we can turn it off.
Hope they give an option, just like I hope they give would give options for unlocked framerates in many 30fps games.

Looking at the videos, it seems as though the enemies are not bullet sponges anymore. Has then been fixed as well? If so, this is a no brainer to add to my collection.

To be honest I wish they had just used Uncharted 2 MP and imported the maps from 3 and created a single new map from the island of 1.

That said the Uncharted 4 MP Beta is awesome and I really hope its lasts for months up until Uncharted 4s release.

Test the shit out of it.

I cant wait to see the updated versions of these!

Can't believe how great that game still looks. There's something about the desert area that is so impressive. I think it's the lighting. I hope they don't change the colour of that area too much in the remaster.

DieH@rd

Banned
I agree, but it is obvious that the character sports more geometry. Even with the low video quality, it is easy to see Nate's hair has a lot more geometry than the previous game.
Characters are a different story. Those are now cutscene models.

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism
Looking at the videos, it seems as though the enemies are not bullet sponges anymore. Has then been fixed as well? If so, this is a no brainer to add to my collection.

UC2 has always been this way. The bullet sponge narrative just got way out of control. This particular demo might be set on easy, but in any case, these enemies can be killed with 3 shots in the normal game.

UC1 may still have more spongey enemies; we haven't seen those tweaks in action yet.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick

This is how Uncharted games always are. I still have no idea what most people are talking about with bullet sponges, outside of the huge armored guys. If you have a pistol or something, you need headshots but they kill instantly.

Revven

This is how Uncharted games always are. I still have no idea what most people are talking about with bullet sponges, outside of the huge armored guys. If you have a pistol or something, you need headshots but they kill instantly.

Really feels like people are just bad at aiming and blaming game balance or some other player error making people believe it's the enemy's health to down them and not their skill level.

I can understand Uncharted 1 feeling that way because the enemies actively dodge your bullets (seriously the AI is good in UC1, better than UC2 in some cases) but the later games only can feel that way with armored guys. In which case you need to do a headshot first then shoot their head and they're down. It makes sense armored guys would take a lot more body shots to down them because you're chipping away at their armor (UC2 even visibly shows pieces of armor coming off as you shoot them iirc).

Alas, no matter how much people say it's not true there's many more that say it is and continue the narrative that these games are full of enemies that live forever. :|

BeforeU

Oft hope is born when all is forlorn.
Man I can not fucking wait to play Uncharted 2 again. Its been almost like 4 years since I last played it. I remember I was in first year university and bought it used from EBgames Canada.

Played it once, then created a new PSN account and played it again for the trophies. So pumped. People who will be playing this for the first time are in a real treat.

I don't think it would be. The Last of Us and Uncharted's combat is different in terms of flow . If you say for the cover mechanics, I'll agree.

Top Bottom