• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF: Best and Worst TEKKEN

Zukuu

Banned
Please explain to me how Tekken 4 is one of the best games in the series.

As someone who has clocked in over a thousand hours in T4, it's simple: It's simple. And by that I don't mean easy or anything, but it got around the biggest problem the franchise has: Clusterfuck. Every character has the SAME moves, often copy-and-pasted in every new game, plus a few on top. You have literally thousands of different moves in the games, since more and more characters join the roster and they bring back every god damn fighter almost every game. T4 was the last fresh start in of the franchise, where you had a truly "new" game and experience. Since T4 every Tekken has basically been the same. Just with more added stuff to a point where it's bloated beyond saving, if they don't pull another T4.
T4 actually cut back moves, added new, changed animations of existing ones, changed moves altogether and even changed whole fighters and their fight style. The small roster also allowed for an extremely good insight into every fighter and every fighter played entirely differently. I admit that the roster was too small, since there were no DLC or patches, but rather start small and add a few (ala SF4, even tho there are too many fighters now as well), than to add 50 right away.

Also had the best gameplay along with T5. The level and character design were also the best in the entire series. Paul's ending (and costume) were top notch. I watch it occasionally to this day. The goofiness was turned down, which worked much better imo. Now everything and everyone is a joke. ´

T4 was basically "refined". It was a rough diamond. By far not the "worst". T5 is a step up from T4 in almost every way, but in some points into the wrong direction.

edit: And don't get me started on how they fucking removed features that were in T4, like the combo-recorder.

neshcom

Banned
Tag 2 is far and away the best. The most characters, customization options, the soundtrack was killer and had custom tune support on PS3, and Jun was brought back.

Worst might be Tekken 5 for the ridiculousness of Jinpachi.

Zukuu

Banned
Tag 2 is far and away the best. The most characters, customization options, the soundtrack was killer and had custom tune support on PS3, and Jun was brought back.

Worst might be Tekken 5 for the ridiculousness of Jinpachi.
Jinpachi's ending is one of the best tho. "Seems no one was able to stop me... *cries a single tear of blood*... *Get's consumed by the devil gene and wrecks havoc*
He WANTED to be stopped. I love that motivation.

gnomed

Haven't played TTT2 or T7 (obvs).

I'd say best is Tekken 4 and worst is Tekken 6.

With Tekken 4
- the story lines were taken somewhat more seriously and led to some awesome dark moments
- Story mode felt more like a story mode with intros and such
- the roster was focused, cut to 19 (I believe)
- not much in the way of stupid characters, even Mokukin was replaced with Combot. Only usless character was Violet (Lee)
- no projectile attacks
- they stuck to their guns and characters who were dead were actually dead
- the music was pretty tight (though that's never been much of a problrm)
- combo record feature in Practice mode, Practice mode itself seemed significantly beefed up with move demonstrations etc
- the juggles felt a lot more grounded and not too insane
- Grab moves were kinda fun and helped alleviate walled stage punishing, as was daft shit like kicking people through telephone boxes

Then came item moves, bound combos, breaking floors, an overpopulated roster, rage meter, stupid characters galore, projectile moves, cheap shit like Jinpachi and Nancy, T6's 'story mode', and any semblance of grounded story was thrown out of the window. Yeah.

Totally agree. Infinites and other malarkey aside, I really enjoyed the attempt to evolve like VF3. But damn if I didn't enjoy Tekken 5 when it released. IMHO, I think the series has gotten to bloated for its own good. Somehow I lost interest in TT2 and actually thought Tekken Revolution played better barring the F2P stuff.

consoul

Best: T3 and T5:DR.
Worst: Revolution and T6.

I land firmly in the pro Tekken 4 camp.
The one criticism consistently levelled at Tekken is that it's the same shit over and over. T4 changed things up and was widely despised for it. I appreciate the restraint it showed. T4 pared back the roster and presented a small set of diverse characters with new moves. The level design had a real sense of space, and the art and music were top notch. The tone of the game was serious for the most part, as opposed to the cringeworthy, zany self-mockery the series more often resorts to.

Blind hate for BR is amusing. IMO Top 3 Tekken games should not be debatable.

Tag 2, BR, & DR.

Secret best Tekken game is Tag 2 1v1 though.

Markitron

Is currently staging a hunger strike outside Gearbox HQ while trying to hate them to death
Of what I played, Tekken Tag Tournament. It being the only decent PS2 launch game probably helped though.

That had to be the worst launch lineup of all time.

entremet

Best: T3 and T5:DR.
Worst: Revolution and T6.

I land firmly in the pro Tekken 4 camp.
The one criticism consistently levelled at Tekken is that it's the same shit over and over. T4 changed things up and was widely despised for it. I appreciate the restraint it showed. T4 pared back the roster and presented a small set of diverse characters with new moves. The level design had a real sense of space, and the art and music were top notch. The tone of the game was serious for the most part, as opposed to the cringeworthy, zany self-mockery the series more often resorts to.
Forgot about Revolution. What a waste.

once characters stopped having individual themes the series felt a little less personal to me, but TTT2 is still an embarrassment of riches to any fan, so much great content, and I can even pull in as many of those character themes as I can fit in the stages!

IKizzLE

Best: Tekken 3 and Tekken 5 DR
Worst: Tekken 4 and Tekken 6 Vanilla

Heard T7 is pretty bad too, haven't played it yet though.

ps3ud0

Best is T3/TTT for me

Worst is when Tekken went full on juggler. Absolutely hated on the recent Tekkens because of it.

ps3ud0 8)

sasuke_91

Best overall has to be TTT2. It's my most played game and the only one I invested more than 1.000 hours in.
T6 is also really great and should be number 1 for those who prefer 1vs1.
T4 is the best in terms of story and atmosphere.
T3 was the highest leap in terms of gameplay and innovation and also introduced some of my favourite characters.

The only bad Tekken game I can think of is probably Tekken Revolution. Being f2p might be an excuse though.

MattXIII

Best: TTT2, massive cast and perfect mechanics

Worst: T4, small cast and busted mechanics - gotta love Yoshi's beetle look tho

I feel all mainline Tekken games were great at their time of their release, with Tekken 4 and Tekken 6 feeling like the weakest

Dunno why, but i get the feeling Tekken 7 won't be well received.

I really don't like the reallly juggler focused Tekkens, so...

Best: T3 based on gameplay

Worst: T6. Really T1, but I consider it like Dynasty Warriors 1: ignore it.

But I am VERY pro-Tekken 4. If not for the imbalance and other botches, it would be my favorite. It's my favorite in everything but gameplay.

Best is Tekken 3, at the time ot came out it was a revolution in 3D fighting games.

Worst is Tekken 1. If you have actually played it, you know what I'm talking about.

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
T5 and TTT2 get my vote for the best.

T2, 3, and TTT1 for nostalgia.

T1, 4, and 6 for the "eh" category.

lupinko

Best: TTT2, massive cast and perfect mechanics

Worst: T4, small cast and busted mechanics - gotta love Yoshi's beetle look tho

I feel all mainline Tekken games were great at their time of their release, with Tekken 4 and Tekken 6 feeling like the weakest

Dunno why, but i get the feeling Tekken 7 won't be well received.

I dunno, with the money I've spent on Tekken 7 so far, I could buy a PS4, MGSV, SF5 preorder and Bloodborne.

Best: Tekken 3, TTT

Worst: Tekken 4

Great first post. Hilarious that the best entry in the series (Tag 1) was followed by the worst entry in the series (4).

4 was ass. Jin Kazama cleaned the floor with everyone else from the cast, walls were a crappy concept, juggles were a mess. No thanks. This game might have one of the most unbalanced character rosters in a fighting game to date.

higemaru

Best Tekken: Tekken 5: DR. Well-balanced, very pretty, incredible PSP port, great roster.

Worst: None of the ones I've played have been really "bad". Tekken 1 is probably the weakest.

MattXIII

I dunno, with the money I've spent on Tekken 7 so far, I could buy a PS4, MGSV, SF5 preorder and Bloodborne.

That's quite the endorsement.
Hopefully the console release of Tekken 7 is stacked with content and the inevitable version update like TTT2 on consoles.

I will weep if Tekken Tunes is no more.

Best: Tekken 3, TTT

Worst: Tekken 4

GIF-Agree-I-agree-Have-to-agree-GIF.gif

DarkTom

My favorite is Tekken 3. Replaced in his time, it was absolutely amazing. But once Tekken 5 was out there was not a lot of reason to go back to 3 except the ball mode. Now with Tag 2 Wii U there is no reason in my opinion to play any other tekken game except if Gon is your favorite character ever.

The worst is Tekken 4 for me, it's the only one I played and didn't like. The first one is hard to play today but I played it at the time of its release so I can say it was cool for its time.

ajb1888

Banned

Wow

7 looks fun and should at least be the best game graphically; I'm curious to see how well it is received once it hits consoles.

Bloomers

As someone who has clocked in over a thousand hours in T4, it's simple: It's simple. And by that I don't mean easy or anything, but it got around the biggest problem the franchise has: Clusterfuck. Every character has the SAME moves, often copy-and-pasted in every new game, plus a few on top. You have literally thousands of different moves in the games, since more and more characters join the roster and they bring back every god damn fighter almost every game. T4 was the last fresh start in of the franchise, where you had a truly "new" game and experience. Since T4 every Tekken has basically been the same. Just with more added stuff to a point where it's bloated beyond saving, if they don't pull another T4.
T4 actually cut back moves, added new, changed animations of existing ones, changed moves altogether and even changed whole fighters and their fight style. The small roster also allowed for an extremely good insight into every fighter and every fighter played entirely differently. I admit that the roster was too small, since there were no DLC or patches, but rather start small and add a few (ala SF4, even tho there are too many fighters now as well), than to add 50 right away.

Also had the best gameplay along with T5. The level and character design were also the best in the entire series. Paul's ending (and costume) were top notch. I watch it occasionally to this day. The goofiness was turned down, which worked much better imo. Now everything and everyone is a joke. ´

T4 was basically "refined". It was a rough diamond. By far not the "worst". T5 is a step up from T4 in almost every way, but in some points into the wrong direction.

edit: And don't get me started on how they fucking removed features that were in T4, like the combo-recorder.
This is a great post. Tekken 4 really dared to keep things fresh in Tekken. Unfortunately, Tekken 5's "bring everyone and their old moves back, streamline the arenas and costumes" approach stuck a little too well.

Anoregon

The flight plan I just filed with the agency list me, my men, Dr. Pavel here. But only one of you!
I haven't played enough Tekken to have a worst, but I remember having a lot of fun with 3.

ajb1888

Banned
Everything after T5DR has been Tekken's experimental phase

Add _____, take it away in the sequel and try _____ instead

I feel some might say they haven't been experimental enough. I dont personally mind the same characters, or that many Tekkens play similar (they're great fun) but I could understand that some want something that feels entirely fresh and different.

Top Bottom