• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon's Dogma online | Import OT | Black Bars be gone!

Dang, still sounds like a step down from Vanilla & Dark Arisen. I loved how dense the environments were in those games. I could visit the same place 5 times and find new secrets on each venture.

Vanilla DD was dense with items that were generally useless and not worth taking the time to stop and pick up. Dark Arisen was actually great, though. It really rewarded exploration with BBI gear and macabre idols. I can't count the number of times on BBI I would think "hmm... wonder if I can get over there..." and then I could! And I might have gotten some mysterious new equipment!

The problem is that you can't really translate that to a MMO.

Kalentan

K64b.png
M64b.png
N64b.png
O64b.png
P64b.png

Kalentan

Oh yeah, I'm going to bed now... I got class in a few hours. After class and food I shall get back on and check the guild to see if we got any applicants. :)

Kalentan

But I mean... with all the menus, quest objectives and all that being unreadable, sounds like it'd be nearly unplayable, or a pain in the ass.

Not everything, but some are translated on the webites in the OP.

The menu's are really easy to navigate, if you played FFXIV, it's really similar to it. Down to even the character status page. Quests for the most part are really straight forward, it's only some "personal" quests that become a bit tricker. I found most "World" quests to tell me exactly where to go and what to kill.

After a bit of playing it, you just begin to go into a groove and able to play just fine with the occasional look up for what something is in English.

Stimpack

But I mean... with all the menus, quest objectives and all that being unreadable, sounds like it'd be nearly unplayable, or a pain in the ass.

It's not as bad as you might think. There's somewhat of a bare bones fan translation patch out there, and a lot of RPGs follow the same basic structure. Hell, a lot of MMOs most certainly follow the same basic structure. Plus, what one person thinks is "a pain in the ass" is another person's idea of entertainment. Look at all the people who think the Souls games are a pain in the ass, right? In some ways it's an adventure in itself where you have to puzzle out the meaning of things. For most, though, I would say it's more of a sneak peek, in the hopes that one day it'll find its way over to our neck of the woods.

Finally Online!

CNz60zlWoAAhUx6.jpg

and just before bed time. xD

Feel free to add my PSN so we can group together easier. PSN - RanmaBelmont

See ya later in the day, DDO GAF!

Just read this on gamefaqs, thought it was funny seeing how so many westerners are trying to play it with VPN's.

Is he right or wrong?

Japan has a very high quality network system and foreigners come in with their long distance sub par connections and not even speaking the language just ends up annoying them and diminishing their game experience more than anything. In a lot of online games, Japanese players simply want nothing to do with foreign players because of lag and the language barrier.

Won't all these slow ass obese western connections and language barrier put off Japanese players and hurt the business model in the long run as it has a negative impact on the experience?

stoic-lemon

Neo Member
The story is giving me Destiny deja vu, at the least the very start. It's fun so far. I won't be on much, but if you see Micks Pizza, give me a wave.

Kalentan

Okay so apparently between 4 AM and 11 AM, somehow the guild/clan was disbanded. Anyone want to come to channel 13-0 and join the new clan as soon as I make it? Assuming you're level 10 and have it unlocked.

Edit: Actually the clan might be there but there have been reports of issues.

Kalentan

Hey guys! When you click on someone, this is what it's saying:

Clicking on a Player
----------------------
Player Profile
Send Player Party Invite
Send Tell
Friend Request
Invite to Curve? Chat
Black List Registration
Follow/Autorun

Pop

Hey guys! When you click on someone, this is what it's saying:

Clicking on a Player
----------------------
Player Profile
Send Player Party Invite
Send Tell
Friend Request
Invite to Curve? Chat
Black List Registration
Follow/Autorun

Thank You

I'm trying to piece together as much as possible.

So I got my pawn, but still couldn't make parties. Figured out that you need to do Seneca's quest to unlock parties. She's right outside the chamber where you turn in the pawn quest and she'll have the quest once you get your pawn. Just throwing that out there because I was confused myself.

Just saw a level 11 bow in a shop that would double my damage output... for 12,600 gold. On the one hand, that's all the gold I have after like 5 main quests and a bunch of side quests. On the other, I do remember shops being the best place to get new gear in early-mid DD. Decisions decisions.

By the way, does anyone know how to change your pawn's gear? It doesn't seem to be an option in the "Pawn" menu or the usual equipment menu.

Just saw a level 11 bow in a shop that would double my damage output... for 12,600 gold. On the one hand, that's all the gold I have after like 5 main quests and a bunch of side quests. On the other, I do remember shops being the best place to get new gear in early-mid DD. Decisions decisions.

By the way, does anyone know how to change your pawn's gear? It doesn't seem to be an option in the "Pawn" menu or the usual equipment menu.

If you go to your pawn list it will be the third option when you click on their name. For some reason that one lets you change their gear, but not just viewing it through interacting with them.

Kalentan

Anyone else having issues with Proxy servers on PS4? When I do "test connection" it loads just fine, but when I try to do anything it says connection to the server has been lost.

Stimpack

Anyone else having issues with Proxy servers on PS4? When I do "test connection" it loads just fine, but when I try to do anything it says connection to the server has been lost.

I had to try multiple proxy servers until I found one that worked. A lot of them load up fine, but refuse to let you enter the game.

Been playing and the game is a blast. Some of the personal quests in the starting area is too hard for me to figure out. Also can I have a party of my friend, his pawn, my pawn, and I?

BadWolf

How are you guys liking the game? How's the F2P model?

Viable to play it for free or is paying for microtransactions a necessity?

Awesome game. I have no clue how the free to play mechanics factor into it. I haven't hit any barriers in the game yet that might be blocked by f2p stuff

I had to try multiple proxy servers until I found one that worked. A lot of them load up fine, but refuse to let you enter the game.

Yeah you just can't pick a Transparent proxy, has to be elite or anon.

Basically, I had to try 4 different proxies, and eventually they'll disconnect.

It sucks, but it's the only option we have on PS4 right now.

Stimpack

Yeah you just can't pick a Transparent proxy, has to be elite or anon.

Basically, I had to try 4 different proxies, and eventually they'll disconnect.

It sucks, but it's the only option we have on PS4 right now.

Yeah, I had a hunch it had something to do with that, but I didn't investigate further. Thanks for the heads-up!

vilmer_

Combat is fan-friggin-tastic. I'm slowly trudging along with my Shield Sage.

Also, the character screen is pretty much identical to FFXIV.

Stimpack

Combat is fan-friggin-tastic. I'm slowly trudging along with my Shield Sage.

Also, the character screen is pretty much identical to FFXIV.

Is there something I'm missing with the shield sage? So far I'm just juggling mobs with my shield, and that seems like the extent of what I'm capable of. It's also frustrating, because I only get the two hits in before he's up in the air and I have to chase after his just to hit him again.

I've thought about changing to fighter instead, but I don't know, I like the big shield. Mystic Knight was my go-to in Dragon's Dogma, but that does not appear to be an option here.

Yuuichi

I'm getting this setup now, if people want to play with someone who's ok at Japanese (and I like the game enough to stick around).

Oh okay thanks,i'll wait for more information about the Assassin and will check the Seeker class too.

I was mistaken, the "Assassin" is the Seeker lol

Just read this on gamefaqs, thought it was funny seeing how so many westerners are trying to play it with VPN's.

Is he right or wrong?

Won't all these slow ass obese western connections and language barrier put off Japanese players and hurt the business model in the long run as it has a negative impact on the experience?

There are definitely people who feel that way, but this is honestly more due to quality of netcode (or lack thereof) and necessity of complex communication. In a case like this or Monster Hunter Frontier for example, where the gameplay is more action focused, it doesn't seem like it would be an issue. Add to that the relative effort needed to even get in and enjoy the game, and you have a somewhat filtered base. Personally, I feel like IP blocking this and Frontier are bad business decisions in the current market

Back online! Had to try a few different proxies (all elite) before one would load the status bar in the launcher, but good to go.

Anyone want to play?

Kalentan

Anyone elses level incorrect at the character select? It says I'm level 7 but I'm 10.

Also anyone else take forever to initally load in?

Edit: I remade the clan since no one joined yet. It's now called GamingAgeF with GAF as the initals. Originally it was GAF with the initals of GAF.

Edit 2: I'm in Channel 13-1 in the Bar on the top most left of the city. If you go now, I can accept those. :)

Chemo

I have a couple of questions, if anyone has a moment... got the client downloading now (PS4). I guess as long as I have a proxy going, it's fine to just use my normal PSN username, right?

Also, the PSN seems to just stop working when I try to connect through proxy servers, does that just mean I'm trying ones that don't work at all, or is it generally just a connection nightmare all day everyday with proxy servers?

Really want to get this to work and have no access to a PC for gaming. Thanks so much in advance for your time~

Kalentan

I have a couple of questions, if anyone has a moment... got the client downloading now (PS4). I guess as long as I have a proxy going, it's fine to just use my normal PSN username, right?

Also, the PSN seems to just stop working when I try to connect through proxy servers, does that just mean I'm trying ones that don't work at all, or is it generally just a connection nightmare all day everyday with proxy servers?

Really want to get this to work and have no access to a PC for gaming. Thanks so much in advance for your time~

You need to find a Elite or Anon Proxy in order for it to work. Also you need to use your Japanese PSN, you cannot use your western one.

Chemo

You need to find a Elite or Anon Proxy in order for it to work. Also you need to use your Japanese PSN, you cannot use your western one.

Hey, thanks. Yeah, I tried an anon one, but I just didn't have any luck. Seems like people have to try a few to find one that does the trick... we'll find out if I can make this happen after the client finishes in a few minutes, heh.

Really appreciate the response. I have no knowledge whatsoever about this kind of stuff, thought maybe the JPSN account was only needed for the download. Thanks again!

docbon

Made a discord server for us to get together and chat / organize.

Not sure if the invite thing is on a per channel basis, or if it just gives you access to the whole thing. Made multiple voice / text channels for groups though. The voice activity setting is disabled in the general voice channel to maintain sanity.

Quote this post to see it.

Top Bottom