• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Narcos |OT| There's no business like blow business - Netflix - *spoilers for S1*

Status
Not open for further replies.

jett

D-Member
This show was great. It's straight-forward, but that doesn't stop it from being hugely entertaining. It moves at a breakneck pace, almost never a dull moment. Only problem I had was that Moura's never really nailed the Spanish language and his Portuguese was fighting to get out with every line. He did really good job though all things considered.

But I didn't think it was gonna be a multi-season show. As such I was disappointed when it ended at episode 10. :p

edit: it would actually be pretty great if they move on to another subject after they're done with Escobar.

Montresor

I can't remember if this is an Episode 8 or Episode 9 spoiler, but last night I saw a scene that was so unbelievably awesome that I immediately stopped Netflix, left my house, and then walked over to my brother's place to show him.

That scene is:
Carillo and some vigilante police officers capture Gustavo, introduce the vigilantes' back stories, then torture Gustavo for information on Pablo, and then, the moment that triggered my mini-wave of euphoria was when Gustavo started laughing and hysterically threatening to kill all of them, their wives, their families, etc... and then bam - quick cutaway interrupting Gustavo's tantrum and showing him good and dead

I can't remember if this is an Episode 8 or Episode 9 spoiler, but last night I saw a scene that was so unbelievably awesome that I immediately stopped Netflix, left my house, and then walked over to my brother's place to show him.

That scene is:
Carillo and some vigilante police officers capture Gustavo, introduce the vigilantes' back stories, then torture Gustavo for information on Pablo, and then, the moment that triggered my mini-wave of euphoria was when Gustavo started laughing and hysterically threatening to kill all of them, their wives, their families, etc... and then bam - quick cutaway interrupting Gustavo's tantrum and showing him good and dead
I liked the scene but maybe I've been spoiled by other stuff as I didn't find it anything special. It worked to emphasize that these people are fucking violent psychos though.

Tomohawk

Just finished the show, really love the opening and show was enjoyable overall, but don't really find the two DEA agents that interesting.

vpance

Were the 2 DEA agents based on real people?

Good to hear its been renewed. Every episode has been real quality stuff.

I really enjoyed this show.

I was hoping they would do a new Narco each season but it doesn't seem to be the direction they're going in.

vpance

The picture in the opening of the American with the mustache seems to be of the real version of the guy.

Ahh.

I'm guessing they didn't need to take many liberties with the story and the characters since the real life events are compelling enough already.

Yup, they were both consultants for the show as well.

Daniel Pena (real life) talks about it here: DEA agent Javier Pena talks about his role on Netflix's TV show 'Narcos'

Thanks, will read after I finish up the last 2 eps.

StMeph

Watched 1-10 over two days. I enjoyed it, overall, but I feel like they could have cut out a lot of the narration and segments of cutting in real/then footage of the original people, especially when they have actors who duplicated several versions of the events or props, like the Escobar mugshot.

SPOILERS
He says he didn't see any of the shooting in real life, but in the series he was there when they kill Gacha. Huh. Guess it makes for good TV.
They're gonna take certain liberties with "based on a real story" drama. In this case it's something relatively minor.

DeviantBoi

Already renewed for a second season!

This is how I would love for the series to go:

1. Medellin Cartel
2. Medellin Cartel / Cali Cartel
3. Cali Cartel / Gulf Cartel
4. Gulf Cartel / Sinaloa Cartel
5. Sinaloa Cartel / ?

We've seen the connection between the Medellin and Cali Cartels. The Gulf Cartel in Mexico was buying drugs from the Cali Cartel. And when the leader of the Gulf Cartel was arrested, the Sinaloa Cartel (led by Joaquin "El Chapo" Guzman) rose to prominence.

You can also throw in the Zetas there. They were the militant arm of the Gulf Cartel, but then betrayed them.

Then if in 3-4 years, Chapo Guzman has been captured or killed, that's how you end the series.

Moff

SPOILERS
He says he didn't see any of the shooting in real life, but in the series he was there when they kill Gacha. Huh. Guess it makes for good TV.

doesnt that refer to him not being present when the show was shot? because the question the sentence leads to is about him speculating how they might portray escobar on screen.

Manu

doesnt that refer to him not being present when the show was shot? because the question the sentence leads to is about him speculating how they might portray escobar on screen.

Oh yeah.

Stupid English and its words with many meanings lol

mantidor

Watched 1-10 over two days. I enjoyed it, overall, but I feel like they could have cut out a lot of the narration and segments of cutting in real/then footage of the original people, especially when they have actors who duplicated several versions of the events or props, like the Escobar mugshot.

In an interview with the director he said that they included real footage because they feared viewers wouldn't believe what happened was real because of how crazy that period was, so they wanted to make sure people realized this really happened.

I'm up to episode 5 and it seems to me they have keep a very faithful account of most things specially related to dead people. People who are still alive have been completely changed and they have taken crazy liberties though, like the journalist. I think the reason is obvious.

you are so beautiful.

Why are you talking to yourself? :p

Watched it all. One of the better Netflix series as well.

Seems minor but, I absolutely loved the fact that everyone spoke Spanish and the people who spoke English it made sense for them to speak English, i.e. the Americans since a lot of shows may have something take place in like Japan but everyone in Japan speaks English constantly instead of Japanese.

Enjoyed the real scenes included as part of the story as it gives more gravity to everything to show the views "No this crazy violent shit was actually happening." Some of my favorite parts of the shows are just hearing the narrator describe the events going do so that it was clear to the viewer what was going on. They really were impressive in showing just how corrupt the government and police were as part of the storytelling.

Looking forward to the second season.

Every now and then I had to check some of the crazy stuff that went down really happened and most of it did. And even crazier stuff that really happened wasn't even in the series !

Mark Bowden's book Killing Pablo describes how Escobar had a bomb planted on the military plane that flew the real life Colonel Carillo and his family to Spain, set to go off at a certain altitude.
They got tipped about the bomb when already in the air and the pilots had to fly back as low as possible.

And the Colombian government had huge problems getting the special forces to Escobar's prison. Planes that would fly them in suddenly had no fuel, pilots or were under maintenance and once finally on the ground and underway in trucks the regular army troops have them false directions back to the airport.
The amount of pull Escobar had was just incredible.

The assault on La Catedral was kind of cathartic as those thugs that had been killing defensless people all those years now got stomped hard.

justjohn

Have to say not quite enjoying it. It's becoming a slog just trying to finish it. Like someone else said the main actor playing the American DEA agent is not that interesting. The acting is a bit iffy as well.

Slacker

Seems minor but, I absolutely loved the fact that everyone spoke Spanish and the people who spoke English it made sense for them to speak English, i.e. the Americans since a lot of shows may have something take place in like Japan but everyone in Japan speaks English constantly instead of Japanese.

That's not minor at all IMO. I think the series would have been all but ruined had everyone used accented English talking to each other. I'm really really glad they resisted that temptation.

D

Deleted member 309291

Unconfirmed Member
People complain about Moura's accent, but to me the worst offender is Luis Guzman. Its almost like he has an speech impediment. I couldn't understand a single word that he said. Moura learned spanish for his role, put on an acceptable paisa accent and mannerisms given the circumstances. And yet Guzman can't even vocalize properly. It just screams laziness to me.

mantidor

Every now and then I had to check some of the crazy stuff that went down really happened and most of it did. And even crazier stuff that really happened wasn't even in the series !

Mark Bowden's book Killing Pablo describes how Escobar had a bomb planted on the military plane that flew the real life Colonel Carillo and his family to Spain, set to go off at a certain altitude.
They got tipped about the bomb when already in the air and the pilots had to fly back as low as possible.

And the Colombian government had huge problems getting the special forces to Escobar's prison. Planes that would fly them in suddenly had no fuel, pilots or were under maintenance and once finally on the ground and underway in trucks the regular army troops have them false directions back to the airport.
The amount of pull Escobar had was just incredible.

The assault on La Catedral was kind of cathartic as those thugs that had been killing defensless people all those years now got stomped hard.

Given that modern shows now love to go for shock value I'm surprised they didn't go for it as well by showing the more sordid details that are very well known.

For instance it is known traffickers used dead babies filled with cocaine to transport it, babies obviously didn't raise any suspicion.

Also one of Escobar's henchmen, Popeye, said that Escobar had a thing for virgin girls and while at the Cathedral he would get him 11/12 years olds for him to rape and then he would kill them. Popeye is not anywhere close to be a bastion of truth but such thing happening there wouldn't be at all surprising.

I haven't got to the cathedral part of the show but from what I've seen I don't think the series would go there.

People complain about Moura's accent, but to me the worst offender is Luis Guzman. Its almost like he has an speech impediment. I couldn't understand a single word that he said. Moura learned spanish for his role, put on an acceptable paisa accent and mannerisms given the circumstances. And yet Guzman can't even vocalize properly. It just screams laziness to me.

"Pueltolicans" have problems with their "r"s. :p

The accents are all over the place, Non native speakers are for sure having an easier time with the show fortunately.

Just watched the first episode. I really liked it but every time Pablo Escobar is on screen, I can't help but see Dr. Gonzo in Fear in Loathing in Las Vegas.

PIF79Ej.jpg

About 8 episodes in, and I'm definitely loving it so far, but I always wonder for these types of shows, why can't they get a more authentic cast? As in, cast mostly Colombians for Colombian roles instead of Mexicans/Puerto Ricans. Especially since they went to the effort to (apparently) film the entirety of the show in Colombia? It's just a small complaint, but my Colombian family has been railing on the casting the entire time we've been watching.

The Game of Thrones (female) fan in me loves Pedro Pascal's presence though. <3

Yeah this one of those times where I'm glad I don't speak the language. I was actually really happy they went with subtitles instead of English the whole time. The only problem I have is I don't feel the DEA agent is necessary. I actually don't mind the narration so much. I'm glad it was renewed for a second season. Netflix officially is easily the best TV content provider right now. HBO better step their game up although show me a hero was the best thing I've seen on TV this year

harSon

Banned

Isn't it because he's Puerto Rican?

Finished it today. Definitely looking forward to season 2. And I don't remember what happened in real life so I'll be going in ignorant.

I hope those that speculate with actual history will use spoiler tags for those like me!

mantidor

About 8 episodes in, and I'm definitely loving it so far, but I always wonder for these types of shows, why can't they get a more authentic cast? As in, cast mostly Colombians for Colombian roles instead of Mexicans/Puerto Ricans. Especially since they went to the effort to (apparently) film the entirety of the show in Colombia? It's just a small complaint, but my Colombian family has been railing on the casting the entire time we've been watching.

The Game of Thrones (female) fan in me loves Pedro Pascal's presence though. <3

As a colombian at least I'm glad there's a huge colombian supporting cast, the guy who played Moncada did a fantastic job for instance, and so did the rest to be honest, ex-president Turbay was "eeeh" but overall they helped bring the authenticity the show was advertising.

xxracerxx

Don't worry, I'll vouch for them.
Finished it today. Definitely looking forward to season 2. And I don't remember what happened in real life so I'll be going in ignorant.

I hope those that speculate with actual history will use spoiler tags for those like me!
Avoid this thread. Real history is not a spoiler.

Tugatrix

Finished,
I totally get the criticism about not getting the whole story, it's fair, they could have very well tied up Escobar this season given the real story and follow season 2 with just Cali Cartel story which might be much more interesting given their level of sophistication in real life

Wait how are they gonna do a second season based on Escobar? Looking on wikipedia
there was very little time between the end of this season and his death

The Giant

Banned

Spoiler tag actual history? That's a first.

Moff

finished it and loved it, it's my favourits netflix show so far

only thing I didn't like was everything that dealt with the private live of the DEA protagonist, it just felt made up and forced.

finished it and loved it, it's my favourits netflix show so far

only thing I didn't like was everything that dealt with the private live of the DEA protagonist, it just felt made up and forced.

Around episode
nine
was when I really started to like his character.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom