• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Apple TV |OT|

Sorry if old, but french resurrected studio Eden Games (V-Rally, NFS Porsche, Test Drive Unlimited) will provide a racing game for the launch of Apple TV : GT Spirit. It will be also avaiable on iPhone, iPad and Android later.

Teaser

chadskin

Plex is coming to the new Apple TV.
“There is no question we will be able to offer Plex on the platform. There are multiple ways to go about it, based on the tvOS SDK we now have access to. We are now evaluating the best path for Plex and will begin work in earnest once we have evaluated the options. The ability to access great and proven iOS frameworks on the device is great for developers like us -- we know the stuff is solid and will perform really well. Our goal is to enable people to enjoy Plex on the hardware platforms of their choice, and there is no doubt this will be a top platform for us.”
http://www.itworld.com/article/2982961/hardware/exclusive-plex-is-coming-to-apple-tv.html

No timetable for it yet, though.

sdornan

Is there any reason at all to get the 64GB Apple TV over the 32GB one? Apps are size-constrained and almost everything is streamed from the cloud, so what would you really use that extra 32GB for?

Is there any reason at all to get the 64GB Apple TV over the 32GB one? Apps are size-constrained and almost everything is streamed from the cloud, so what would you really use that extra 32GB for?

Games. Even if they're size constrained unless you want to be downloading, playing, deleting, downloading new, playing, deleting, downloading the first one again, etc (similar to "cleaning the fridge" on a Wii) then you'd just get the bigger one and not worry about it.

RBH

Which MacBooks are compatible with AirPlay on the new Apple TV?

Tried to find a list of compatible devices on the website and wasn't successful.

I imagine at some point Apple will increase the size limit on apps but you'd probably still be ok with 32GB for a while.

Always on Siri for one
App Store apps

Unlocking 4K with firmware update ?

Siri isn't always on. It's activated by hitting the button on the remote. Also Siri isn't processor intensive. Siri's processing is handled on the server back end. The device just relays the audio data.

Also, apps aren't a requirement for TV OS to run. The question was about TV OS being put on to ATV3. You can easily do all the Siri functionality and leave out the app store.

So the only thing that might prevent it is the amount of transparency and visual effects depending on the impact of performance.

i never get the one thing that I want in any streaming device (sans consoles), GBe ports. I mean I can get them on the cheap ass Raspberry Pi but not on this or the Roku or the Nexus player. And before you say I don't need it, I will call bullshit as i have GigaPower internet service and smartjacks in my house. I'm tired of unnecessary bottlenecks.

Raistlin

i never get the one thing that I want in any streaming device (sans consoles), GBe ports. I mean I can get them on the cheap ass Raspberry Pi but not on this or the Roku or the Nexus player. And before you say I don't need it, I will call bullshit as i have GigaPower internet service and smartjacks in my house. I'm tired of unnecessary bottlenecks.
Unless you plan to transfer files to it over your LAN (which you can't do until it's jail broken), why would you need it?

Raistlin

What are you talking about ?

http://www.trustedreviews.com/opinions/hdmi-2-0-vs-1-4

4K is capable on 1.4 . The only thing it cannot do is 50 or 60 fps like 2.0 does. 1.4 allows 4K at 24 fps which is the movie format most people have known before .

It cannot do HDR movies like hobbit in HDR and games at 60fps but it can do all tv and movies
All 4K services require HDCP 2.2 as part of their contracts with the studios

Terrell

Looks to have potential. Lack of 4K is problematic, but only if they plan to maintain the same upgrade cycle they have in the past. If they are actually moving to annual, or at the very worst bi-annual upgrades, they should be able to bring it when it's needed for a larger chunk of the market.

Like I said earlier, when Apple signs 4K content into the iTunes Store, 4K TVs drop in price and bandwidth caps aren't total bollocks for most of the world's population, then it will be a thing. Until at least 2 of those 3 barriers are lifted, we're stuck at 1080p.

My biggest question is who's going to make apps for it? Will we see Apple competitors on here? For example, no Vudu and no Amazon would be no buy.

That's going to be entirely dependent on them. Amazon has, to my knowledge, so far refused to be on Apple TV themselves and not due to Apple not wanting it there, primarily due to disputes over how Amazon Instant Video purchases made through an Apple TV app would be subject to Apple taking a share of the transaction as though it were an in-app purchase.

Another side question for me personally is regarding that replay feature. Other competitors have this to some extent (usually app specific), and I love it on my WMC DVR. It is incredibly useful to have the subtitles pop up for a few seconds on a replay.

The thing is all of those devices have a dedicated hard button, which is what makes using the feature so nice. There is no button here. Have they confirmed whether a gesture will active it? If not, "What did she say?" is exactly the sort of over engineering shit people whine about Apple for. Sure it's a nice optional method to do a replay, but if that's the only way it's terrible, over engineered crap. Makes what would be one of this product's best features (assuming it is system-wide) mostly useless in the real world. :\

I believe it's a way of being able to distinguish between backtracking with rewind for something missed visually and specifically going back because you didn't hear something. Some people don't want the subtitles when they step back, sometimes they do. There are only 2 ways around it: one is a setting where every time you rewind within a certain time range, the same effect occurs, which doesn't resolve the issue of subtitles becoming something mandated into rewind and simply frustrating a new handful of people; the other is a purpose-built button on the remote, which also ends up a frustration for people who want that simple jump-back feature without the subtitles (and working through that with more settings is more over-engineered than anything you could accuse Apple of) and if history teaches anything in this regard, that's how TV remotes have become bloated with buttons in the first place and Apple doesn't want to give a reason to promote purpose-built button features that will be requested ad nauseum and end up with a Harmony remote. That seems to be part of the point of putting Siri on this thing in the first place.

Old yes. It's just a standard IR remote. New, highly unlikely. It's a bluetooth remote.

Actually, it's Bluetooth AND IR. IR would be required for the volume functions to work with all televisions, and the remote's spec say IR is still present.

Daniel B·;178237808 said:
Ditching the D-Pad, in favor of a touchpad, is possibly a terrible idea for navigating core TV style apps, as when navigating to an item of interest, such as movie / tv thumbnail, you typically move the selection one item at a time, which is entirely natural with a D-Pad, unlike a touchpad. That's assuming the touchpad doesn't mimic a D-Pad, by registering top, bottom, left and right presses.

The touchpad seems to operate much differently than on Apple's capacitive devices, as they demonstrated with the fact that you can swipe or you can get the swipe motion to come to a dead stop by not releasing your thumb, unlike with iPhone and iPad which still has the scrolling sort of "float" under your thumb and any directionality on release causes further scroll.
There's also the number of times that Eddy Cue's slides got ahead of him because he was accidentally touching the touch pad on the remote, which tells me there likely is single-tap digital direction inputs, as well.

Just read that some of the Siri search stuff (such as show me films with actor x in) is exclusive to iTunes at launch and won't be able to search Netflix etc, major bummer.

Considering the contract hoops involved, I can't say I'm shocked. But it's really in all of their benefits to sign up for that, so they don't potentially end up being the only one who isn't at that party. It's also likely in part due to the APIs that these companies haven't had access to yet that are required to turn the function on and have it fully tested.

Honestly, they could have released the old box with Siri support and kept it $99. it would have been a great seller. But its twice the cost now with no 4K support and entirely reliant on subscriptions.

It makes it a difficult purchase.

No, I really don't think they could have. If their target is for Apple TV to be as snappy and responsive as it was on stage, stronger hardware was a necessity. The A5 in the old model was NOT going to cut it, since it barely cuts the mustard now when it comes to responsiveness. And if they were going with a new chip to make that happen, they might as well be using a modern chip that they fabricate for other devices to capitalize on current fabrication lines. That alone was bound to raise the price in and of itself. Couple that with an also-needed RAM boost from 512MB to further facilitate faster response, and the fact becomes an inevitability.

Siri isn't always on. It's activated by hitting the button on the remote. Also Siri isn't processor intensive. Siri's processing is handled on the server back end. The device just relays the audio data.

Also, apps aren't a requirement for TV OS to run. The question was about TV OS being put on to ATV3. You can easily do all the Siri functionality and leave out the app store.

The current Apple TV on shelves can barely do streaming playback fast enough for most people. But having the A5 in the old model sift through multiple subscription services for the same data and produce that data together as quickly as it does in the demos? Yeah, that would NOT happen on a current ATV3. Not in your wildest dreams.

Remember how well the Siri beta on iPhone 4S was able to interpret your voice? How long it took to interpret what you said before it called the server for information? Part of that is still attributable to the horsepower that the A5 chip provided.

So no, this fantasy that Siri is doable in any appreciable way on the current ATV needs to stop. You could theoretically make it work, but it would be 4S levels of terribad at doing it and not come close to how it performed on stage or in demos with the new model.

That's going to be entirely dependent on them. Amazon has, to my knowledge, so far refused to be on Apple TV themselves and not due to Apple not wanting it there, primarily due to disputes over how Amazon Instant Video purchases made through an Apple TV app would be subject to Apple taking a share of the transaction as though it were an in-app purchase.

They could just do it like their normal iOS apps: no purchasing, purely playback

Terrell

They could just do it like their normal iOS apps: no purchasing, purely playback

Without the storefront data, though, Amazon would be excluded from Siri's service-wide searches. Amazon would end up basically being an island unto itself, and Amazon users would notice and not bother. Which is likely what Amazon would prefer to be the case, to get people to buy a FireTV instead.
And even with the current Apple TV, I think Apple was mandating accessibility to the entire service provided on that device.

wachie

nowhere NEAR to the degree needed on a personal device. Remember, the Apple TV is a living room device. It means in most cases, multiple people will be using it simultaneously. Which either means multiplayer games (though I'll believe it when I see it), or watching TV. So does it need multitasking? No I don't believe a common use case will be a family watching Walking Dead, and then shrinking that down to picture in picture to buy something on Amazon. Arguably out of every computing device in the house, Apple TV is the LEAST in need of multitasking, as it's the device most likely to be routinely single tasking.
Gaming .. pause game, launch Netflix app, pause movie, launch HBO etc. On top of the Siri capabilities and what not, especially Siri presenting you information on multiple overlays and you keep sorting through Siri's results. I'm not even sure if you watched the keynote.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
Without the storefront data, though, Amazon would be excluded from Siri's service-wide searches. Amazon would end up basically being an island unto itself, and Amazon users would notice and not bother. Which is likely what Amazon would prefer to be the case, to get people to buy a FireTV instead.
And even with the current Apple TV, I think Apple was mandating accessibility to the entire service provided on that device.

Why would Amazon be excluded from search results if it's playback only? They have Prime content that would be searchable, like Netflix
Hell, they could even have pages up for all the digital movies they offer, with a little "Buy/Rent on Amazon.com!" Thing instead of an actual purchase button

dallow_bg

nods at old men
There are BT harmony remotes. I'm sure you'll be able to pair to the ATV at some point and use it sans touch screen and Siri.

Somnid

I don't expect Amazon to play ball initially, while they like their services on everything they also do not like being subservient to either Apple or Google or paying them any sort of margin. Rather, I'd expect that they drag on support until they find a clever workaround. Meanwhile they have their own box that they'll want to push where they get to collect 30% on apps. Amazon/Prime Video absence will be a huge blow to AppleTV in terms of adoption because it's the #2 streaming service. There's no reason why they need to contribute to AppleTV growth especially when they have a big advantage in the space right now.

Guys apps aren't limited to 200 megs. 2.2GB is the real limit. And 20GB is the max the app store will host for an app.

http://www.imore.com/how-new-apple-tv-uses-demand-resources-host-great-apps-and-games

I don't think anyone truly thought the apps were limited to 200MB if they read the links. It's clear that the limit was 200MB for the download package and anything else would need to be downloaded on demand. That on demand aspect though is still a huge deal, especially for something like games. Currently iOS doesn't do that for other platforms, so it will be interesting to see how much this impacts things. On demand asset asset loading planning isn't a trivial thing to do, especially if you're doing it over the Internet.

The current Apple TV on shelves can barely do streaming playback fast enough for most people. But having the A5 in the old model sift through multiple subscription services for the same data and produce that data together as quickly as it does in the demos? Yeah, that would NOT happen on a current ATV3. Not in your wildest dreams.

Remember how well the Siri beta on iPhone 4S was able to interpret your voice? How long it took to interpret what you said before it called the server for information? Part of that is still attributable to the horsepower that the A5 chip provided.

So no, this fantasy that Siri is doable in any appreciable way on the current ATV needs to stop. You could theoretically make it work, but it would be 4S levels of terribad at doing it and not come close to how it performed on stage or in demos with the new model.

I've never used Siri on a 4S. I was merely going based on the fact that the iPad Mini, which also uses the same CPU as the ATV3, has Siri. So I'm assuming that since it's functional there, it should be possible in the ATV3. Maybe you limit some of the things it has to do, but I'm still not quite convinced you couldn't do Siri on an ATV3.

There are BT harmony remotes. I'm sure you'll be able to pair to the ATV at some point and use it sans touch screen and Siri.

The problem is the Harmony Remote won't have the microphone built into it, so you'd need to grab the ATV remote anyway.

Plex is a killer app for Apple TV for me.

But if it's "Plex pass" only... sorry Plex. Not interested.

I understand everyone needs to monetize, but paying a subscription to stream my own movies over my own bandwidth is just not something that's going to happen.

Seems like everything is Plex Pass only these days.

I think both PS4 and Xbox One are both like that. I still use it via my phone and Chromecast.

Terrell

Why would Amazon be excluded from search results if it's playback only? They have Prime content that would be searchable, like Netflix
Hell, they could even have pages up for all the digital movies they offer, with a little "Buy/Rent on Amazon.com!" Thing instead of an actual purchase button

Because, as stated at the end, there may also be factors like Apple wanting the whole service experience on Apple TV instead of being drawn out to another device just to buy something. That seems to be how they operate. Even Netflix concedes to this, to my understanding, that any Netflix subscription that was purchased through Apple TV gives a cut to Apple.

And it's really a waste of resources to have all your storefront data made available and updated just to be in the searches without monetizing it on the device itself. The return rate on it would be abysmal.

I've never used Siri on a 4S. I was merely going based on the fact that the iPad Mini, which also uses the same CPU as the ATV3, has Siri. So I'm assuming that since it's functional there, it should be possible in the ATV3. Maybe you limit some of the things it has to do, but I'm still not quite convinced you couldn't do Siri on an ATV3.

Oh, you can. It would just be balls, that's all. And I said as much. The original iPad mini wasn't exactly stellar in its use of Siri either.

It's a difference between "doable" and "actually good, fast and worthwhile in 2015". When it's clear that one of Apple's goals is to have one of the most - if not THE most - snappy and responsive set-top boxes on the market.

Oh, you can. It would just be balls, that's all. And I said as much. The original iPad mini wasn't exactly stellar in its use of Siri either.

It's a difference between "doable" and "actually good, fast and worthwhile in 2015". When it's clear that one of Apple's goals is to have one of the most - if not THE most - snappy and responsive set-top boxes on the market.

Sure, but wouldn't that criteria be applied to the ATV4? Apple has shown in the past that they'll upgrade legacy hardware with functionality and a new OS even though that upgrade should not have happened based on performance. Every time there's an OS upgrade, the lowest end platform usually has people complaining. So it's pretty normal for Apple to do this.

Terrell

Sure, but wouldn't that criteria be applied to the ATV4? Apple has shown in the past that they'll upgrade legacy hardware with functionality and a new OS even though that upgrade should not have happened based on performance. Every time there's an OS upgrade, the lowest end platform usually has people complaining. So it's pretty normal for Apple to do this.

I think that, in this particular circumstance, Apple wants some distance between ATV3 and ATV4. They want to take it out of "hobby" status that dogged the previous models.

With iOS upgrades, they want users to have the maximum value on their product for as long as they can stomach how slow the new features operate. With television, there's different consumer expectations that need to be met, and a slow chug isn't something people want in exchange for more functionality (it's part of why most people hate their DVRs so much, for example). This is made abundantly clear and simply delineates Apple's new plan for the product line thanks to ArsTechnica's write-up on the new ATV4:

More than anything, it's reminiscent of the media browsing experience on modern game consoles, which use their relatively powerful CPUs and GPUs to drive similarly smooth interfaces.

if you're watching a demo, it's easy to appreciate how well Siri is implemented here. Unlike on the iPhone and iPad, there's not a wait between hitting the button and waiting for Siri to come up, and, if you're watching something, Siri doesn't automatically pause it.

So it's reminiscent in speed to gaming console set-top performance and achieves something with Siri on ATV4 that no other Siri device yet has: not freezing everything it's doing to operate. I'd say good luck getting that to happen on an ATV3. And compromising by pausing the video to get Siri running likely falls under that "different customer, different expectation" scenario.

It's also a marketing thing, to make a clear distinction and a clear break from the bargain-bin parts Apple TV we have been previously given.

Add all of that to the fact that Siri would work like absolute balls on ATV3, since it would likely be a heavily-downgraded version that couldn't operate in tandem with video playing, among other things that may need cutting, and it's pretty clear why that's not happening.

ATV3 was discounted to move excess produced units out the door and likely won't survive the winter. They want the "hobby" device dead, and ATV4 to be a more prosperous future for them in the living room space. Simple as that.
You and others may argue that it's too much for the price, but meanwhile, people are buying $1000 iPhones, so... I don't see a price tag under $200 and something that has more staying power for meaningful software updates than the previous generation somehow being as big a deterrent as it's being made to be. I dare say this new model will handily outsell previous generations of Apple TV.

I think that, in this particular circumstance, Apple wants some distance between ATV3 and ATV4. They want to take it out of "hobby" status that dogged the previous models.

With iOS upgrades, they want users to have the maximum value on their product for as long as they can stomach how slow the new features operate. With television, there's different consumer expectations that need to be met, and a slow chug isn't something people want in exchange for more functionality (it's part of why most people hate their DVRs so much, for example). This is made abundantly clear and simply delineates Apple's new plan for the product line thanks to ArsTechnica's write-up on the new ATV4:

So it's reminiscent in speed to gaming console set-top performance and achieves something with Siri on ATV4 that no other Siri device yet has: not freezing everything it's doing to operate. I'd say good luck getting that to happen on an ATV3. And compromising by pausing the video to get Siri running likely falls under that "different customer, different expectation" scenario.

It's also a marketing thing, to make a clear distinction and a clear break from the bargain-bin parts Apple TV we have been previously given.

Add all of that to the fact that Siri would work like absolute balls on ATV3, since it would likely be a heavily-downgraded version that couldn't operate in tandem with video playing, among other things that may need cutting, and it's pretty clear why that's not happening.

ATV3 was discounted to move excess produced units out the door and likely won't survive the winter. They want the "hobby" device dead, and ATV4 to be a more prosperous future for them in the living room space. Simple as that.

Fair enough, but if they want it dead, why not kill it then? They're still having it out there along side ATV4.

Terrell

Fair enough, but if they want it dead, why not kill it then? They're still having it out there along side ATV4.

Rather not have dead stock to write off, perhaps? They may be cheap to make, but a dollar is a dollar, and Apple likely pumped a bunch of A5 chips out to make them before closing the production line.
The few people who don't give a shit about the new features will buy them up until they are sold out and then it will be quietly faded out of existence, much like the iPod classic was.

Van Owen

Banned
Plex is a killer app for Apple TV for me.

But if it's "Plex pass" only... sorry Plex. Not interested.

I understand everyone needs to monetize, but paying a subscription to stream my own movies over my own bandwidth is just not something that's going to happen.

Most the time you can just buy the app for one device for $5, which seems fine to me.

Top Bottom