• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

British Law; Right to 30-day refund becomes law today 1st Oct (includes games)

Fishlake

I hope that Briton is big enough of a market to change the industry with this move. Granted, I can't remember the last vastly broken game I bought.

Taramoor

Well if it only applies to things bought after the 1st that would explain why Tony Hawk was in such a hurry to get out the door.

So I could claim a refund on MGSV because it didn't ship with the Online? Or because of the dodgy FOB servers?

While this is great in theory, it will be open to abuse unfortunately.

well, the online was announced to not be included before the game came out. So, I definitely wouldnt say that. But I couldnt access FOB's until like a week after the game came out on xbox one. While returning a game for that reason is dumb imo, I could see people trying that

I wrote my masters of Law dissertation on this subject so this area interests me quite a bit.

Its a very interesting area as digital goods have never been considered 'goods' under the regular legal definition so they have been outside the statutory remedies. This has made it very difficult to claim for defective digital goods in the past but the act has finally rectified this situation.

I won't go into too much boring detail but what this means for us as gaming consumers is that certain standards must be met by digital goods from now on, or the traders will be liable under new statutory remedies. Digital games must be of satisfactory quality, with the definition of satisfactory that being which a reasonable man would determine as satisfactory. However, if traders specify that there is a specific deficiency this will be taken into account and they may not be in breach. This covers things like early access games, but the key to the exception is that the deficiency must be made specific. It is not enough to simply say 'early access, may be problems'.

Another interesting point is that digital games will have to meet the satisfactory quality standard at purchase and also following updates to the game. So if a game launches fine but is then made unsatisfactory due to a later patch it will fall below the standard and the trader will be made liable.

Talking about patches, there is no implied right for traders to modify content or release patches, this must be included in the contract of sale as a clause (remember this one indiegaf)

When it comes to remedies they are not as strong as they are for physical goods. There is no short term right to reject, which in physical goods means that you can get a full refund within 30 if the content does not meet the satisfactory quality. The idea behind this is that it is not possible to 'return' digital goods. As you would imagine this is quite confusing for consumers so many traders have introduced their own short term right to reject, most notably steam.

The statutory remedies available for digital goods that are not of satisfactory quality are :

1. Repair/replacement
2. Reduction in price if the first remedy is 'impossible' or not done 'within a reasonable time' or would cause 'significant inconvenience to the consumer'

As you can see these are very ambiguous and it can be very difficult to see when these are met. The lack of a set number of repairs is also a bit confusing, in goods law the trader is limited to only one repair/replacement before a rejection of the goods can occur. In digital it is theoretically unlimited. Can you imagine if developers/publishers were limited to one patch to fix a broken game and lift it to satisfactory quality? Additionally the reduction in price is vague and essentially allows the trader to determine a sum to reduce the refund by for the consumer's use of the game.

These are statutory minimums and many big traders will undoubtedly offer better and simpler terms (like valve and apple already have) but it will be interesting to see how Microsoft and Sony will react to these changes.

If you have made it this far thanks for reading and I hope I didn't bore you guys too much.

You buy an app for organising your music and photos, but when you start to use it,
you find that it has a bug that causes it to delete your music and photos.
Assuming you can show that the damage was caused by the app itself and that the
damage would not have arisen if the trader had used reasonable care and skill, the
trader would be liable to either repair the damage (by recovering the music and
photos) or to make an appropriate payment to you to compensate for the damage.
The trader can choose which remedy they offer.

I think this one will prove contentious between software makers and consumers. Data corruption bugs are bad but fairly uncommon and it puts publishers on a financial hook to compensate the affected client. Sounds like something bigger devs will just buy insurance for and something smaller devs have to hope never, ever happens to them.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Who determins what is considered faulty, or not up to snuff? The retailer? A board posting approved "consumer alerts"? What if you say it is faulty, but a retailer said, "this is the first we heard of this"?

Seems it can be either abused, or just not enforced until a class action is brought up.

So it's literally just Gamestops old return policy where all you have to do is make up some bullshit about glitches or corrupted saves and you get your money back? Surely this won't be abused at all.

Syntsui

So it's literally just Gamestops old return policy where all you have to do is make up some bullshit about glitches or corrupted saves and you get your money back? Surely this won't be abused at all.
I imagine you have to prove the problem exists. Which won't be hard to do with neogaf/YouTube existing. If you can't prove the product is defective, you won't get your money back.

dan2026

So example.

I am an ignorant consumer who bought Tony Hawks 5.
I take it home and find it is a buggy mess of a game.
I then take it back to the store describing it as such.

How do I prove it? Do I have to prove it?
Can the store argue against it?

Impotaku

Wonder how many games will magically not get released in the EU now this law is in effect. Devs won't want to take that risk of all there sales been refunded when they release unfinished games & keep quiet about it then act all innocent when the shit hits the fan & then promise they will work on a patch.

Slavik81

You buy an app for organising your music and photos, but when you start to use it,
you find that it has a bug that causes it to delete your music and photos.
Assuming you can show that the damage was caused by the app itself and that the
damage would not have arisen if the trader had used reasonable care and skill, the
trader would be liable to either repair the damage (by recovering the music and
photos) or to make an appropriate payment to you to compensate for the damage.
The trader can choose which remedy they offer.
I think this one will prove contentious between software makers and consumers. Data corruption bugs are bad but fairly uncommon and it puts publishers on a financial hook to compensate the affected client. Sounds like something bigger devs will just buy insurance for and something smaller devs have to hope never, ever happens to them.
This bit sounds worrisome. It's not a good way to protect data, and it seems like a big liability for small developers.

All storage will eventually die. Often suddenly and without warning. If you're not willing to spend time and money on backing up your data, then you're treating your data as if its worthless.

Will be funny if games like Tony Hawk still launch as is in the US but get massive delays in the UK or get their UK release cancelled altogether.

IvorB

The Withcher 3 is an interesting example.

Many people on here and elsewhere claim the framerate issues render the game unplayable. Many others do not.

If a game has a primary SP campaign and a conpromised MP, or a single part of that MP doesn't work perfectly to the consumer's expectations (e,g. Framerate in 64-player Conquest in BF4), are there grounds for refund?

I assume there's a quango associated with this because games are far more complex items than most consumer goods and 'faulty' can be a deeply subjective opinion in relation to gaming.

Good law tho, and it needed to be passed.

Well the general principle around these types of protections has been that the product should be fit for the purpose that it was purchased. So any feature of a product that outright does not work should be adequate grounds. For something like frame rate it could be more tricky but would probably come down to whether there was a reasonable expectation (implied or stated) that the frame rate would be a certain way and whether it was reasonable to suggest that the product was not fit for purpose due to the frame rate. It's all well and good to say that a particular frame rate makes something unplayable for you but whether that would be found a reasonable position by the courts is another matter.

popo

So example.

I am an ignorant consumer who bought Tony Hawks 5.
I take it home and find it is a buggy mess of a game.
I then take it back to the store describing it as such.

How do I prove it? Do I have to prove it?
Can the store argue against it?

The store either agrees or not. If not then you would have to take it to the ombudsman. The question being - is it worth the retailer to go to arbitration or would they just refund. Better than before when small claims court was your only recourse.

Fascinating stuff. Always interesting to hear the legal perspective.

Who gets to decide what a reasonable man thinks though?

The purpose of statutory remedies is that the traders/consumers will self regulate and come to the correct conclusion themselves. This decision is therefore decided between the consumer and the trader based on the circumstances. If the trader unreasonably disagrees then the consumer can take the issue to the ombudsman for that industry (these are the people who ensure that the industry is regulated correctly and running accordingly) who can then issue fines against the trader.

milanbaros

Member?
Ombudsmen are generally very hesitant to side with the company in any industry in the UK. The retailers will likely just take the customers word for it.

kitch9

Banned
I hope that Briton is big enough of a market to change the industry with this move. Granted, I can't remember the last vastly broken game I bought.

If it becomes a problem for devs and pubs games will simply be launched weeks later over here.

mdubs

Banned
Bioware is lucky this isn't 2012 otherwise they would have gotten thousands of returned copies of Mass Effect 3 from the broken ending. I didn't like Watch Dogs story either so I suppose I would have returned that plus it was buggy enough, too bad hope this comes here soon!

Sounds like the UK is babying its resident. This will cause far more problems than it solves and could hurt te economy.

Or it won't make a damn difference. We'll see.

Protecting consumer rights is "babying" people?!

Bioware is lucky this isn't 2012 otherwise they would have gotten thousands of returned copies of Mass Effect 3 from the broken ending. I didn't like Watch Dogs story either so I suppose I would have returned that plus it was buggy enough, too bad hope this comes here soon!

I don't think you'll be able to return a game because you didn't like the ending. This is to give consumers recourse against faulty goods which do not work as advertised.

Tak3n

Banned
In the UK companies almost always cave when they learn you are heading to the ombudsman...

I once got refused a chargeback request from Halifax bank over some unauthorised work carried out by a garage (I had to pay as we have the most horrendous law in the UK where garages can keep you car legally until you pay)

after they refused I said I would be taking it forward to the ombudsman... 10 mins later my phone rang, and got offered a instant full refund from the bank!

They work and work well :)

What defines broken? Ass Creed Unity was a mess, but it still played.

Also, does this cover false advertising? Because the number of times we've had to wait until release to discover some feature they showed or talked about a a year or two ago was cut.

Lastly, what is to stop MS/Sony/Nintendo being assholes and banning your account for forcing a refund through ombudsman?

BokehKing

Banned
Sounds like something that will be abused by gamers

It will be exploited and abused. Games that are not broken will be blown out of proportion by peopl who feel the game is broken to them.

Drive club & Mcc = broken

Batman on PC - broken

Not like destiny or halo 5 because you bought into the hype - no refund, gtfo with that

I can see people trying to get a refund on fallout4 due to the usual Bethesda bugs and writing a 8 paragraph rant about gamers rights

Tak3n

Banned
What defines broken? Ass Creed Unity was a mess, but it still played.

Also, does this cover false advertising? Because the number of times we've had to wait until release to discover some feature they showed or talked about a a year or two ago was cut.

Lastly, what is to stop MS/Sony/Nintendo being assholes and banning your account for forcing a refund through ombudsman?

nothing, nothing at all... you can have all the laws in place but if a company wants to be a dick, they can...

What it does is give the consumer a weapon.

Mindwipe

Fascinating stuff. Always interesting to hear the legal perspective.

Who gets to decide what a reasonable man thinks though?

Negotiation, then the independent arbitrator, then ultimately a small claims court for individual claims or a higher court for a class action.

In the UK companies almost always cave when they learn you are heading to the ombudsman...

I once got refused a chargeback request from Halifax bank over some unauthorised work carried out by a garage (I had to pay as we have the most horrendous law in the UK where garages can keep you car legally until you pay)

after they refused I said I would be taking it forward to the ombudsman... 10 mins later my phone rang, and got offered a instant full refund from the bank!

It depends on the sector, but for banks at least they have to pay for the ombudsman costs regardless of if they win, so if they don't think they're setting a horrible precident it's almost always cheaper for them to give you the money back regardless of their opinion on the merits of your case.

Steph_E.

well it looks like we mis-read it and now the decision lies with the consumer, you have now have a right to refuse that repair/replacement and get a refund

You have been able to reject physical goods and demand a refund for several years in the UK. Under the Sale of Goods Act 1979: "To get a refund on a faulty item, you need to reject it and return it within a reasonable time after purchase - usually three to four weeks." - this is a direct quote from the "Which" consumer rights website.

Steph_E.

I imagine you have to prove the problem exists. Which won't be hard to do with neogaf/YouTube existing. If you can't prove the product is defective, you won't get your money back.

I don't think quoting heresay evidence from GAF or Youtube in court will do much to sway a judge, if it went that far!

IvorB

Yeah in practical terms dealing with the Ombudsman is a long, drawn out process and best avoided. I've been through it a couple of times and it's not really cool. Best bet is to threaten them with it and hope for the best.

Top Bottom