• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 5 is a glitchy mess

Piers

ViIQQIK.gif

Pro strats

Driw3r

Unconfirmed Member
Pro Skater 3 is one of my favorite games ever. Shame to see downfall of this series. But about PS HD, it was decent imo. I had good time with it. Yes sure, gameplay compared to PS3 was clunky and slow, and there were glitches too... But when I get used to it, different gameplay not glitches, it was ok. It's wasn't acceptable to call it PS HD because it played so different, and quality to other PS games was inferior, but it wasn't crap.

What comes this game, i am not going to touch this. Sad.

Grinchy

Banned
This game's release made me go back and play Tony Hawk 3 as well. It's a damn fun game. I've almost completed it again, but I definitely miss things like spine transfers and stuff. I might start just going back through some of the last good TH games now.

Tahnit

Banned
something needs to be done about game publishers putting out broken games. Enough is efuckingnough. It seems they are not even testing games anymore. More and more broken games are being released than ever before. And it really seems no publisher gives a flying fuck. There needs to be a complete redo on how the video game industry works. Publishers need to be taken to task for releasing products that simply are broken glitchy messes. Im sick of this shit.

gossi

something needs to be done about game publishers putting out broken games. Enough is efuckingnough. It seems they are not even testing games anymore. More and more broken games are being released than ever before. And it really seems no publisher gives a flying fuck. There needs to be a complete redo on how the video game industry works. Publishers need to be taken to task for releasing products that simply are broken glitchy messes. Im sick of this shit.

Normally, journalists would be the force that holds publishers to account. But in the games industry, journalists are largely treated.. Differently. A GAF poster once said to me they're not journalists, they're hobbyists. That was the moment I realised this industry largely has no backstop.

In my mind journalists should be looking into the behind the scenes of this game to see what went wrong, and publicly asking questions about how acceptable it is for $60 games to ship like this. In Europe it isn't even legal - faulty goods, including games, can be returned, and shouldn't be sold. But the industry just does it anyway, no questions asked.

Trojan X

Banned
An absolute disaster. I wouldn't be surprised if a penalty had to be paid out and 9 times out of 10 it end up being the dev paying.

Lol at this hyperbole. There are maybe a handful of games that are even close to being this broken for this gen. A game with a word of mouth so poor will have equally poor sales. Speak with your wallets and for gods sake, settle down.

Garlador

Lol at this hyperbole. There are maybe a handful of games that are even close to being this broken for this gen. A game with a word of mouth so poor will have equally poor sales. Speak with your wallets and for gods sake, settle down.
Nah. We've gotten more broken and glitchy games than are acceptable by big-name companies. We could use a bit more people with fiery indignation.

Besides, "speak with your wallet" doesn't work when a large majority don't discover a game is fundamentally broken until after they buy it. Steam refunds are great for this now on PC at least.

itf56

Anybody who own this know if it got patched, as promised by the publisher?

Not yet as far as I can tell. Anyone know when the patch is due or are they just abandoning it to the wolves?

It's bad, but not as bad as people would have you believe, incidentally.

i bought this game knowing it was a glitchy mess, im a skateboarder so i needed the fix, but there are a few more things that are grinding my gears so to speak...

-lack of regular footed characters
-stupid characters like lil wayne, that cartoon dude and tmnt (seriously lil wayne is the worst 'skateboarder' in history, but hes better at it then rapping imo, stupid appearance)
-the inability to switch tricks whilst in a trick with button presses like the previous games, ie: grinds & manual tricks
- some missions are hard, but only because of the glitchiness and nothing else
-crap music
-levels look like barren wastelands of patheticness

dreamfall

Man I wonder if the last gen ports have the online lobby connectivity shit. It's not saying much, but it'd be a better game without it.

gossi

The whole game install on X360 is 1.8gb.

Edit: and if the description is right, it doesn't include the extra free levels or patch they released to fix the game.

Necro900

The whole game install on X360 is 1.8gb.

Edit: and if the description is right, it doesn't include the extra free levels or patch they released to fix the game.

Let's kickstart those 25£ (nobody in their sane mind would pay that amount for this game) to show the world how crappy this last gen version can be

Green Yoshi

Don't wanna stand in the shoes of the Bomberman: Act Zero developers. Would be devestating to lose the "Worst Xbox 360 game" achievement that late in the lifetime of the console. ;-)

It is out for Playstation 3, too. And there it's still called Tony Hawks Pro Skater 5.

https://store.playstation.com/#!/de...er-5/cid=EP0002-NPEB02319_00-TONYHAWKPRO5BUND

The port was done by Fun Labs in Bucharest, Romania:
https://twitter.com/Robomodo/status/676885250367209473

This developer ported Prototype 1+2 to PS4&One earlier this year:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fun_Labs

J_Viper

Don't wanna stand in the shoes of the Bomberman: Act Zero developers. Would be devestating to lose the "Worst Xbox 360 game" achievement that late in the lifetime of the console. ;-)

It is out for Playstation 3, too. And there it's still called Tony Hawks Pro Skater 5.

https://store.playstation.com/#!/de...er-5/cid=EP0002-NPEB02319_00-TONYHAWKPRO5BUND

The port was done by Fun Labs in Bucharest, Romania:
https://twitter.com/Robomodo/status/676885250367209473

This developer ported Prototype 1+2 to PS4&One earlier this year:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fun_Labs

So this version could be even glitchier than the PS4/XB1 versions? That sounds impossible.

I also noticed the devs did that Men in Black game in 2012 which was critically panned like bad by movie tie-in standards. And I think the PS3/360 versions were based on the Wii game too.
This sounds incredible, I just have to see this trainwreck in action

John from Digital Foundry, please...

Valkrai

I'm broke but I'd love to throw myself into suffering if anyone is willing to scrap together for the last gen port.

I am curious to see how it is regardless because that $30 price tag looks better than the 60 at launch.

lord pie

Was watching the IGN review when I noticed this

vLgAwPP.gif

The hell is going on down there.

So I realize this was asked months ago, but I can explain what is going on here.

To me, it appears that at some point during the rendering of the ocean waves, the pixel shader being used is performing an operation that is producing a non-finite output - either an +/- infinite or NaN ('not a number' - or undefined). The easiest way to do this is to do a divide-by-zero (which is really easy to do...).

When converting a value for display output (clamping 0 to 1 range), a NaN will always ends up as zero - hence the black output pixels.

This would explain single black pixels in the output, but how to explain why it is producing giant black boxes of the same size?

Well, the trouble with NaN's/Inf's is that they propagate everywhere. Pretty much any calculation that has a NaN will result in a NaN. For example, NaN multiplied by zero is still NaN.

So the explanation for why there are these giant black boxes is actually pretty simple: the game has a bloom filter, which is trying to blur the bright pixels a certain distance. As soon as the filter hits a NaN pixel, it propagates to all pixels in the bloom filters range. The filter will be running in two passes (horizontal and vertical) blurring a fixed number of pixels distance - hence giant black squares of identical size.

So long story short, it's crappy shader logic in the wave effect's pixel shader producing a bad output, which is then getting 'spread out' by the bloom filter.

You can sometimes see a similar thing happen in other games, rocket league for example.

Green Yoshi

This sounds incredible, I just have to see this trainwreck in action

John from Digital Foundry, please...

Everytime someone says "Activision stands for quality" at the shareholder meeting somebody should yell "And Coca-Cola stands for healthy living". ^^

Nowise10

I got this game as a gift for my birthday and have been playing it for the past days, and I gotta say...Its really not that bad. It doesn't have the same magic as previous titles, but the core game still feels like a Tony Hawk title, and I haven't experienced any glitches yet.

I think the games biggest fault was the graphics style, and some of the maps so far feel pretty void of life. But I was expecting much worse with what i saw online.

Warxard

Banned
I got this game as a gift for my birthday and have been playing it for the past days, and I gotta say...Its really not that bad. It doesn't have the same magic as previous titles, but the core game still feels like a Tony Hawk title, and I haven't experienced any glitches yet.

I think the games biggest fault was the graphics style, and some of the maps so far feel pretty void of life. But I was expecting much worse with what i saw online.
The recent patch made the game much better performance wise, but the damage's done etc

Omg. We need a comparison of what's worse out of all the versions so I can grab the absolute worse one down the road when it's cheap.

Top Bottom