• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GameTrailers Top 20 NES Games Part 1

higemaru

ew, that port of Ghosts 'n Goblins is terrible. List seems fine otherwise. Would like to see more Shatterhand love.

Timu

I can't take anyone seriously if they say Zelda 2 is a bad game. I legit can't respect their opinion on anything
Most people hate Zelda 2 so there's that.=p

I liked Zelda 2, but I hate some of the design choices and odd difficulty balance.

fvng

So you don't respect Miyamoto's opinion. Got it.

lol, you think that's going to change how I feel about the game? He didn't say it was a bad game, he said he wishes he could have done some things differently. Nice distortion though. Zelda 2 is awesome

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=moYBnx8Gxy0

http://www.gametrailers.com/videos/720gqk/gt-countdown-top-20-nes-games---part-1--20-11

They're only putting 20-11 for now

20. Bionic Commando
19. Tetris
18. Kirby's Adventure
17. Duck Tales
16. Ghosts n' Goblins
15. Metroid
14. Final Fantasy
13. Castlevania III: Dracula's Curse
12. Contra
11. Zelda II: Adventure of Link

20. Okay
19. Way too low, yes it had a bigger impact on Game Boy, but still.
18. Also too low.
17. Decent placement.
16. Also decent.
15. WAY too low.
14. Okay
13. Okay.
12. WAYYYYY too low.
11. HAAAAAHAHAHAHAAAAA.

If the top 3 isn't Mega Man 2, Legend of Zelda, and SMB3 this list is invalid.

Actually, I'll just do what I think the list should be (based on 20-11)

10. River City Ransom
9. Super Mario Bros. 2
8. Mega Man 3
7. Ninja Gaiden
6. Castlevania
5. Mike Tyson's Punch-Out!!
4. Mega Man 2
3. Super Mario Bros.
2. Legend of Zelda
1. Super Mario Bros. 3

tuffy

Did Miyamoto actually say it was a "bad" game? I thought he said they "could have done more with (it)."
The closest is from an old interview:
Shigeru Miyamoto said:
It was my idea, but the actual game was developed by another team, different people to those that made the first game. Compared to Legend of Zelda, Zelda II went exactly what we expected… All games I make usually gets better in the development process, since good ideas keep coming, but Zelda II was sort of a failure…
Superplay said:
So that’s why the third game looked like the first one?
Shigeru Miyamoto said:
Exactly. We actually see A link to the Past as the real sequel to Legend of Zelda. Zelda II was more of a side story about what happened to Link after the events in Legend of Zelda.

The notion that he thinks it's a "bad" game seems to be total fiction. And even if he did, appealing to authority isn't a very convincing argument about what makes it bad.

woopWOOP

Pretty solid list so far.

But I guess they're going for memorable rather than being good, because Ghosts 'n Goblins on NES is pretty lousy, aside from the kickass music that made me pop it in and play it a lot anyway.

Also kinda odd Zelda 2 is so high. I don't mind, it's the only Zelda I liked enough to finish, but it's usually the 'black sheep' people like to shit on. I'm betting there's a couple of past GT videos that do just that.

Also also, Ducktales 2 is exactly like Ducktales but with better polish and more features. And Bermuda Triangle music >>> Moon theme

Pretty solid list so far.

But I guess they're going for memorable rather than being good, because Ghosts 'n Goblins on NES is pretty lousy, aside from the kickass music that made me pop it in and play it a lot anyway.

Also kinda odd Zelda 2 is so high. I don't mind, it's the only Zelda I liked enough to finish, but it's usually the 'black sheep' people like to shit on. I'm betting there's a couple of past GT videos that do just that.

Also also, Ducktales 2 is exactly like Ducktales but with better polish and more features. And Bermuda Triangle music >>> Moon theme

Well that's the thing with "samey" sequels, especially ones released very late. By virtue of not being the progenitor of the engine and style, being better simply isn't good enough to be more well-liked and well-remembered.

Sevyne

Know what game belongs on anyone's top 20 NES games list? The Guardian Legend. Seriously, it's such a great game, and one of the first to mix up genres and do it well. I honestly feel it was a game way ahead of it's time.

Anyway, it won't make the list for sure. It's always been one of the most overlooked greats of the era. More people really need to play it.

Just please don't be a Mario game at number 1. Not hating on Mario (they were great), but the NES has had some true gems that are far more interesting, creative, and fun.

Umibozu

The list was made by the staff, some of which haven't played every game on the list.
Some of them campaigned to get their games on the list, that is why Ghosts n' Goblins is on their list.
Remember though this is their opinions and they're entitled to place the games that they want.

PKrockin

I do not understand Mega Man 2. That game is absolutely plagued with slowdown and flickering at the worst times, along with Metal Blade obsoleting everything, uneven difficulty, and one of the worst boss fights in any revered game. There are times of legitimately unfair difficulty stemming just from the game chugging so badly it's throwing off the timing of your jumps and making projectiles invisible. The graphics and music are wonderful. The level design is mostly good, although sometimes feeling formulaic (miniboss -> miniboss over a pit! hazard X -> hazard Y -> hazard X and Y together!), the controls are serviceable (that delay before you begin walking is a bit annoying), but the game itself is a nightmare to play sometimes, especially at the end.

Firemind

simon's quest where

also a shmup should be in there somewhere. i have a soft spot for life force because of the co-op.

Skunkers

River City Ransom top 10. Id also put Super Dodge Ball obviously but I know that's unreasonable for a top 20.

No... it's not unreasonable at all.

Super Dodgeball NES is a fucking masterpiece, and sooooo many people have never even played it. Truly one of the "secret" best NES games easily.

Randomizer

Kirby and Castlevania 3 are Top 10 or even Top 5 calibre. I can't help but wonder what the Top 10 will include now?

Guaranteed Top 10:
SMB3 - Unquestionably the best game on the NES not even up for debate.
SMB - Technically surpassed in every way but the game was a revolution and is still fantastic.
Zelda - Another classic that needs little explanation for its inclusion.
MM2 - Best music in the series great level design. Yeah its the easiest entry but it's still a challenge.
River City Ransom

Maybes:
Mike Tyson's Punchout!
Ninja Gaiden
Dragon Warrior 3
Dragon warrior
SMB2
FFII
Kid Icarus
Castlevania

manueldelalas

Time Traveler
Zelda 2 is awesome; it has some of the ambiguity present in most NES games (so you needed to buy Nintendo Power to solve some puzzle), but it is so fun.

My only wish is that they do another like it; although OOT is based heavily on this game, and Smash stole all of it's move-set.

It is a much better game than Zelda 1.

Lothar

Banned
Man, I really don't remember Zelda II being that well received.

You don't?

TZYZAxK.jpg
http://nintendo.wikia.com/wiki/1988_Nintendo_Power_Awards
It won game of the year in Nintendo Power over the original Zelda, Super Mario Bros 2, Mega Man, Punch Out, Blaster Master, Double Dragon, and Metroid.

Zelda II is awesome. I still enjoy playing through it to this day. I won't say it's better than the original, but both games are worthy titles for the NES.

woopWOOP

Well that's the thing with "samey" sequels, especially ones released very late. By virtue of not being the progenitor of the engine and style, being better simply isn't good enough to be more well-liked and well-remembered.
I tend to think of these top games lists as listing a system's best of the best so 'lesser' games getting in because of popularity (as in most people know about it) doesn't really jive with me. But I suppose in the end it's all opinions anyway.
ducktales is a better game, but you're right about the music

hell, amazon's music is better than the moon's
Nah man, extra abilities to be found in the stages, an item shop between stages, secret map pieces in each stage to unlock a secret level and hidden treasures including one which requires you to raise an island from the sea. It's like comparing Mega Man 1 to Mega Man 3.

On that note though I kind of like that the first Ducktales has that basic 'first generation' NES game feeling, actually similar to the first Mega Man. Don't ask me why but I dig that stuff.

The only thing I like better about DuckTales 2 is the fact that you don't have to hold down to activate the pogo jump. Otherwise, I prefer the original in every way.

sphinx

the piano man
everyone is forgetting one excellent title that really should appear there

Maniac Mansion

that game is absolutely brilliant. I know it appeared on other systems but regardless, it should be in anyone's top 20 NES list

KeRaSh

For the top 3 I'd pick SMB3, SMB2 and Nintendo World Cup Soccer in that order.
Snake Rattle 'n Roll #4
SMB #5

Vitten

Ghosts N Ghoblins has no place on that list. Terrible port, game was way too hard to be enjoyable.

Replace it with Faxanadu; now that was a little gem of a game.

The rare list where I think every single game on it is great. Some of them wouldn't have made me own personal NES top 20, but that's a minor quibble.

Top Bottom