• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS2 Emulation with PCSX2 - share your game configs!

So in Windows 10 I am using shortcuts to auto open .iso's. In my Persona 4 shortcut I can open the Gamebar. In my Persona 3 shortcut, it wont open. If I open another game using the P4 shortcut it works. Anyone can help me with this?

heringer

Is MGS3 now worth playing with PCSX2?

Between PCSX2 with missing effects but high res and widescreen and PS2 version, which is better?

Corpsepyre

Banned
Can someone tell me as to why I keep getting these really weird slowdowns in games? Like, I would be playing, and all of a sudden, it would start lagging, and the audio would become all robotic, and then revert back.

Do I need to use speedhacks by any chance?

Core i3 4130
R9 280
8 GB ram

bomblord1

Banned
Can someone tell me as to why I keep getting these really weird slowdowns in games? Like, I would be playing, and all of a sudden, it would start lagging, and the audio would become all robotic, and then revert back.

Core i3 4130
R9 280
8 GB ram

I have an i5 3470 and the same gpu and still lag in some games if that helps. Needing speedhacks is dependant on the game some games speedhacks will make run worse.

Ruruja

Core i3 4130
R9 280
8 GB ram

The emulator isn't that great, it's just the only one that's actually good. Lots of games have bugs and such, and your CPU needs to be overclocked to 4Ghz+ for really good performance, otherwise you're likely to get those slowdowns now and again.

If you go into Audio settings you'll see one of the options is set to TimeStretch. That means when the fps of the game drops, the audio matches it, that's why you get that slow robotic effect until the fps goes back up. You can change it to Async Mix, which keeps the audio at a constant rate so it will go out of sync slightly with the video, but that's fine on some games with constant scene changes, but it can be a problem in others.

Corpsepyre

Banned
12087790_10153049863371097_1380416917018823405_o.jpg

1080p, 60 fps for the MOST part, and at MSAA x2, with SkipDraw and some other hacks enabled.

Fucking game is still a PS2 beauty.

Harlequin

Has anyone gotten Free Running to work properly with this? I don't know a lot about emulators. I've gotten it to start up but when I start to play there are always parts of the floor that don't have collision and I end up falling through it :/.

squadr0n

Anyone here know why my XB360 controller keeps wanting to scroll down? It happens no matter which game I try on PCSX2 but works fine on my 360. Its wired too if that helps.

Also looking for settings tips for Xenosaga if anyone has any ideas. Mainly just an issue during cutscenes.

i5 2500K CPU 3.6 GHz
8 gig of Ram
GTX 560 Ti

Ive seen it run fine on older systems with CPU: Intel Core i7 @ 3.4Ghz and GPU: Nvidia GTX 285 768MB

Edit: Got video settings working perfectly! Just need help with the XB360 controller wanting to move down all the time.
Edit 2: Fixed controller issue by upping the Deadzone. my bad

Anyone here know why my XB360 controller keeps wanting to scroll down? It happens no matter which game I try on PCSX2 but works fine on my 360. Its wired too if that helps.

Also looking for settings tips for Xenosaga if anyone has any ideas. Mainly just an issue during cutscenes.

i5 2500K CPU 3.6 GHz
8 gig of Ram
GTX 560 Ti

Ive seen it run fine on older systems with CPU: Intel Core i7 @ 3.4Ghz and GPU: Nvidia GTX 285 768MB

Edit: Got video settings working perfectly! Just need help with the XB360 controller wanting to move down all the time.
Edit 2: Fixed controller issue by upping the Deadzone. my bad

settings?

Chairhome

I'm having trouble with making command lines that will launch different games with different configs. I think it can't find the config files, even though I've placed them in separate folders within the same folder as the ISOs.
I'm trying: pcsx2.exe isoname --cfgpath="folder"

I'm trying to do this in Emulationstation. Does anyone have any experience with this?

Is MGS3 now worth playing with PCSX2?

Between PCSX2 with missing effects but high res and widescreen and PS2 version, which is better?

PS2 version IMO is still better.

The missing effects simply take away too much from the game's amazing appearance.

You're missing basically every post-processing effect so everything from the backgrounds to explosions is just missing so much lighting detail.

Explosions in particular look really lame on PCSX2 at the moment unfortunately.

Best version to play will be for many years most likely is the PS3 version at 720p60.

But if you only have PC/PS2 I say stick with PS2 for now.

Brashnir

Quick question, as it's been a while since I messed with this and haven't kept up with the state of PS2 emulation. (But I'm interested again now that I have a new PC)

Do the Baldur's Gate: Dark Alliance and Champions of Norrath games work on this yet? They only rendered half of the screen the last time I tried a couple years back.

Gurrry

Quick question, as it's been a while since I messed with this and haven't kept up with the state of PS2 emulation. (But I'm interested again now that I have a new PC)

Do the Baldur's Gate: Dark Alliance and Champions of Norrath games work on this yet? They only rendered half of the screen the last time I tried a couple years back.

I dont know if they work or not at all. But I fucking love champions of norrath.

They were fixed recently (http://pcsx2.net/270-june-2015-progress-report.html). Before that they only worked in software mode without the halfscreen issue.

Shenmue

Banned
Can PCSX2 play Japanese games? I have a bunch of Super Robot Wars and Tales of games sitting on my shelf that I would like to play.

vocab

There's was a patch made for that engine recently. I couldn't get it working so that it was 100% accurate but it's more than playable now. Videos can be screwed up though. Not sure how to fix that without messing up the game.

Can PCSX2 play Japanese games? I have a bunch of Super Robot Wars and Tales of games sitting on my shelf that I would like to play.

Yes it can.

Shenmue

Banned
There's was a patch made for that engine recently. I couldn't get it working so that it was 100% accurate but it's more than playable now. Videos can be screwed up though. Not sure how to fix that without messing up the game.

Yes it can.

Thanks!

I'm having trouble with making command lines that will launch different games with different configs. I think it can't find the config files, even though I've placed them in separate folders within the same folder as the ISOs.
I'm trying: pcsx2.exe isoname --cfgpath="folder"

I'm trying to do this in Emulationstation. Does anyone have any experience with this?

Have you heard of PCSX2 Bonus? It is a great program that allows for custom configs and creating executables for individual games.

Brashnir

Awesome, thanks. I'll check it out. Not too worried about the cutscenes.

Wow I've been doing a little bit of research.

Is this site: http://pcsx2.net/compatibility-list.html accurate as far as compatibility?

Are there really only about 100 or so games that don't work out of the entire PS2 library?!?!

That's pretty damn amazing if true.

It's not a complete list of all games ever released on the platform. But yes, the vast majority of the tested games is playable. Note that "playable" doesn't mean perfect though (as in performance, glitches etc. -- it just means that the game can be played from start to finish with the emulator). The amount of games that'd fall under Dolphins "perfect" category are probably much closer to ~10% (just as with Dolphin).

How do I fix it? PS2's resolution is 640 x 480, so it gets stretched to widescreen res.

There are 3 possible ways:

- Play in 4:3 with black borders. Just select the 4:3 aspect ratio in PCSX2's window settings for that.

- Use the widescreen option in game (GoW offers one), needs to be combined with the 16:9 setting in PCSX2's window settings. The problem is that most PS2 games that offer a widescreen option just reduce the vertical field of view so that you see less of the image (same in width, less in height). This is also true for God of War.

- Try using a widescreen patch (http://forums.pcsx2.net/Thread-PCSX2-Widescreen-Game-Patches). May not work with all games and stretches HUD elements.

I prefer the first option and like to play the game as it was originally intended without any stretched elements.

P.S.
PS2 games don't actually run at 640x480, at least most of them don't. For example my PAL version of GoW runs at 512x512 according to GSDX (and rendered in such a way that it looks right when stretched to 4:3).

Shenmue

Banned
It's not a complete list of all games ever released on the platform. But yes, the vast majority of the tested games is playable. Note that "playable" doesn't mean perfect though (as in performance, glitches etc. -- it just means that the game can be played from start to finish with the emulator). The amount of games that'd fall under Dolphins "perfect" category are probably much closer to ~10% (just as with Dolphin).

Ah, ok. Thanks for the clarification.

StereoVsn

Are there any recent improvements for Yakuza or SMT/Persona games? I was still having issues with shadows in both series as of half a year ago (more recent with Yakuza but didn't update the software).

Also, on Japanese PS2 I believe you need to extract JPN PS2 bios for it to work.

Could someone perhaps guide me in the right direction on how to use export saves from an actual PS2 via an Action Replay MAX for use with PCSX2? All I find on the net is for PS3s with PS2 Backwards Compatibility or pretty vague :/

Thanks for help in advance! :)

dorisdelay

Neo Member
Can anyone recommend a PS2 > USB controller adapter? I'm in the UK and a lot of reviews of the ones I've seen on Amazon get mixed reviews.

DMNBT

Neo Member
Are the Ace Combat games still broken on Hardware mode? Last time I tested them half a year ago they had serious graphics glitches.

Vertti

Hi.

Got a problem with widescreen hacks. I've put them on the cheats folder and enabled them from the menu. When I go to the console it says 7 cheats loaded and widescreen patch detected. But when I go from 4:3 to 16:9 by pressin F6 it just streches the image. Doesn't make it a real widescreen.

I've tried this with few different games. Same thing with every game. What's wrong?

Lime

Hi.

Got a problem with widescreen hacks. I've put them on the cheats folder and enabled them from the menu. When I go to the console it says 7 cheats loaded and widescreen patch detected. But when I go from 4:3 to 16:9 by pressin F6 it just streches the image. Doesn't make it a real widescreen.

I've tried this with few different games. Same thing with every game. What's wrong?

Maybe you have too many cheats loaded that conflict with each other.

Kssio_Aug

Sorry about bringing this thread up. I didn't want to create a new one, and wasn't sure if that discussion was allowed!

Can I use a Dualshock 4 in PCSX2? And how is the emulation nowadays?

I use Windows 10 and am thinking about installing it to play some old gems, such as Final Fantasy XII and Valkyrie Profile.

evilalien

Yes, you can use a Dualshock 4. I use one myself using one of those wrappers that have it recognized as a 360 controller.

PS2 emulation isn't perfect but most games work. FFXII is essentially perfect in the emulator, and VP2 is playable to the end, but there are graphical issues that will force you to switch to software rendering for some areas.

How good would my emulation be with
i5 4690K
Radeon R7 2GB DDR3
16GB of RAM?

How well would Xenosaga run with those specs?.

I plan to replace the graphics card with a DDR5 Nvidia GTX 730 2GB but right now that's what I got.

How good would my emulation be with
i5 4690K
Radeon R7 2GB DDR3
16GB of RAM?

How well would Xenosaga run with those specs?.

Should run well, but only at low resolutions.
Your CPU is very good, but the GPU is either weak or very weak, depending on which R7 you have exactly.

I plan to replace the graphics card with a DDR5 Nvidia GTX 730 2GB but right now that's what I got.

May I ask why you want to replace a weak graphics card with another weak one? I wouldn't go below a GTX 750, or better 750 Ti. The latter is not only fine for PCSX2, but also for multiplatform games at ~current console level graphics.

Should run well, but only at low resolutions.
Your CPU is very good, but the GPU is either weak or very weak, depending on which R7 you have exactly.

May I ask why you want to replace a weak graphics card with another weak one? I wouldn't go below a GTX 750, or better 750 Ti. The latter is not only fine for PCSX2, but also for multiplatform games at ~current console level graphics.

I was under the assumption the 730 was better than AMDs stuff by default.

Thanks for the advice and I will go with a 750 when I get the chance to.

The card is a AMD Radeon R7 250X 2GB

Hey guys, sorry about this, but I'm a total noob to emulation. Will my MacBook Pro (about 2-3 years old) be able to run PCSX2?

Also, will it be able to read PS2 discs?

Thanks!

hateradio

The Most Dangerous Yes Man
Hey guys, sorry about this, but I'm a total noob to emulation. Will my MacBook Pro (about 2-3 years old) be able to run PCSX2?

Also, will it be able to read PS2 discs?

Thanks!
On Bootcamp, virtualized, or on Mac OS X?

I think it depends if it also has a dedicated GPU or not, and how fast the processor is. Is it an i5 or i7.

I don't think I've ever tried running anything on my MBP 13" with an i5 and Intel integrated graphics.

I think anything that has a DVD drive should be able to read PS2 discs. However, you don't want to do that as reading from a disc is slow. Typically, you will save the contents as an ISO.

On Bootcamp, virtualized, or on Mac OS X?

I think it depends if it also has a dedicated GPU or not, and how fast the processor is. Is it an i5 or i7.

I don't think I've ever tried running anything on my MBP 13" with an i5 and Intel integrated graphics.

I think anything that has a DVD drive should be able to read PS2 discs. However, you don't want to do that as reading from a disc is slow. Typically, you will save the contents as an ISO.

Uhhhh... Good question! I was thinking off of OS X. I tried the boot camp route a long time ago and couldn't manage to get it to work.

And that's good to know, I think I can figure that out. Thank you!

Finally got the Ace Combats to full 60fps in software mode after upgrade CPU, sad that it probably won't have the hardware mode glitches fixed.

Mit-

Anyone have any ideas why my FFXII has scanlines all over it and fairly low brightness?

Seems to only happen in the actual game window. The PCSX2 snapshot shows how it should look (minus the widescreen stretch applied by the game):

Windows screenshot: http://i.picpar.com/zBCb.png

PCSX2 snap: http://i.picpar.com/0BCb.png

EDIT: Hit F7 to change pixel geometry modes. Didn't know those even existed.

Top Bottom