• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

I'm interested in getting into Wizardry. Where's the best place to start?

Parakeetman

No one wants a throne you've been sitting on!
I came hoping this thread was about the MMO. :(

I think someone actually made a thread about the MMO a long time ago and like the general interest with the MMO version itself, died.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=431251

As important as the Wizardry games are... I have never played one.

Well, that's not completely true, with my brother and sister we played Wizardry VII (actually my brother played, with my sister we created 2 characters), but because of our age, the fact that we never played any RPG before and especially the fact that we didn't understand a word of english I don't think we finished the first floor :p

EDIT: Someone should make a thread about really influential series that have been forgotten. Wizardry is one of the most important series in videogame history no one talks about it anymore.

Thats because as you can see in this thread, there are not that many people who give a rats ass about the series in general. Not to mention with all the stupid shit "gamers" complain about these days, you can only imagine why...

There was this thread a long time ago though.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=469298

So that is the closest thing you will get.
---

Am still planning on doing a JP developed focused Wizardry and related "spinoff" OT though, not a lot of people will be able to partake in those either due to most of them not being brought over. We already have sub OTs for the spinoffs / companies that produce them for JP related titles. Such as the Etrian Odyssey Community Thread and the Experience Inc Community Thread Then the Elminage Gothic STEAM OT.

There have been other threads like this with folks asking similar questions to the OP here which die pretty quickly also.
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=580555

I've tried VI, but the EGA-era graphics and lack of movement during crawling ate into my ability to stick with it. I got VIII ready 'n waitin' after Witcher 3 though.

Never played one but just wanted to say that Wizardy VIII seems like one of the most intimidating games ever.

And for those who don't know: there are also surprisingly a handful of Japanese Wizardry games because they have a following over there.

Or games made by said Wizardry-makin' dudes.

latest

Watch out for those little red riding squirrels, though. *SNIKT* *SNIKT*

Wizardry 8 is very different compared to the previous games. It is pretty fantastic though once you find a suitable mod for speeding up enemy turns.

Wizardry: Tales of the Forsaken Land (PS2) is also quite different, especially in terms of exploration and combat. It's still very much worth a look if you can hunt down a copy.

Wizardry: Labyrinth of Lost Souls (PS3) I didn't particularly care for: http://www.the-nextlevel.com/review/psn/wizardry-labyrinth-of-lost-souls/

Wizardry 1-7 though....hmm. Honestly I've spent more time with the games that emulate Wizardry than Wizardry itself. The console ports of the first few games sound preferable based on the impressions in this thread. If it's possible, I'd start there. Otherwise I recommend jumping ahead a few generations and getting Elminage Original (PSP/Vita) and/or Elminage Gothic (Steam). The Elminage games are pretty heavy classic Wizardry-clones. They feature fantastic art, and at times some brutal encounters (though you won't have to worry about back-up juggling to preserve your precious characters). Most of the other "fun" aspects are preserved, like trap-chests that cast a teleport spell. If the spell just happens to teleport you into a wall...well your party is wiped out.
By the way, I can't say I'm very happy about Gothic bombing. Steam is already lacking in terms of D-RPGs.

The Dark Spire (DS) is another Wizardry-clone. It features some neat art and a good soundtrack. It has a bit of a slow start though, which is the reason why I dropped the game early on. I should revisit it, but the prices have become much less reasonable.

Underneath the sci-fi high-school craziness in Operation Abyss (Vita) is a Wizardry game. There are a lot of unique sub-systems that give this title a lot of flair, and it's really quite enjoyable. Now that I've finished the story in *banned D-RPG* I'm going to dig deeper into this title.

I'll also say that Final Fantasy 1 has a lot in common with classic Wizardry. Ignoring the obvious differences, the spell-level system still remains, there can be practically unfair battles (get back-attacked by a flock of cockatrices = game over), and the limited class-system is pretty similar as well.

There are some other titles that are less Wizardry, but still do a damn fine job at providing a D-RPG experience:

Might & Magic series: The early games (1-5) are standard grid-based titles, 6-8 change things up quite dramatically (still worth playing though), and 10 is a return to the basics and is overall highly recommended.
Etrian Odyssey (DS & 3DS)
Demon Gaze (Vita)
Stranger of Sword City - Yeah it's import-only for now, but there is an Xbox One release in the works, and it's guaranteed to be localized. NISA might go ahead do a US version of the Vita title around that time as well. Definitely one to look for.

4Tran

I've been playing through Wizardry VI off and on, and it's old school enough to be a turn off for someone unprepared for it. Wizardry VII and VIII would probably be better starting points since they have much more modern designs.

Good list. I'd add Paper Sorcerer to to it. It's basically a much more accessible version of Wizardry 4.

Parakeetman

honestly with gothic on steam seems like they pushed that weird firefighter roguelike more than gothic itself as there hardly was any exposure for it so its no wonder why it fell to the side.

since things like GAF alone cant prop up a title.

vocab

I personally am not a fan of Elminage Gothic. I hate the mapping system, and the sound effects so much.

Be a virgin until 30 years old. That'll be the start.

I can't wait till I turn into invoker. If I don't, I guess suicide is a good option for me.

I played 3-5 hours of Wizardry 6 today. Made good progress today. Almost can go into the captains den.

My party: valk,sam,nin,bard,preist, and mage. I can't wait till the ninja develops. Hes going to punch through everything.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
I have a hard time imagining it showing up remade PS1 in
any way resembling what it originally was.

Except for the automap and redone graphics/music, it's intact and every bit as insane as it's supposed to be. Automap does make some parts a lot easier though.

Sinatar

So it still has Trebor's Ghost randomly instakilling you and the password
Trebor Sux
? The stupid landmine floor that is 1000% trial and error?

The game is a fascinating concept but holy shit is it awful. Paper Sorcerer is a pretty cool proof of concept for applying ideas from it to an actually good game.

en8BzuX.jpg

1upsuper

So the SNES version is the best way to play Wizardry 1-3? I've only played the old wireframe DOS versions. What about 4 and 5? Are these heavily redesigned at all?

4 especially is honestly a straight up bad game meant to fuck with experienced Wizardry players, and it's packed with trial and error/pure luck... I have a hard time imagining it showing up remade PS1 in any way resembling what it originally was.

IMO yeah, the SFC version is the best way to play 1-3. They still have the wireframe option if you want, or you can go with a more modern look. Wiz4 didn't get a SFC version. There's a game called Wizardry Gaiden 4, but it's a spin-off with a traditional Japanese aesthetic. I honestly don't have much experience with 4. It never got very many ports. It definitely was the black sheep of the series and had a lot of problems, but I always really liked the concept, actually. And the secret ending is really pretty interesting. And incredibly difficult to get through. I'm pretty sure that aside from various computer versions the only other releases of IV were New Age of Llylgamyn on the PlayStation and a compilation of III and IV on the TurboCD and I've never played those, unfortunately.

V actually got a localized release on the SNES, but it's not amazing. Came out well before the SFC collection of I-III but it's...serviceable.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
8 is the pinnacle of the series.

With that said, you may want to try the older series for a more traditional, grid-based, turn-based gameplay. You can already see the Japanese influence in 7 hilariously enough. Starting off at 8 might give you a slightly bad impression on the older games.

Mind you, 8 still has some missing stuff.

Sinatar

I looked into it a bit more and it sounds like the ports have some notable changes here and there. Monster control being a big one, as well as nerfing the hilarious tone-setting doorless room you start in. Nothing huge though. I feel bad for people picking that up in the late 90's and being exposed to that craziness

I'm pretty sure those changes are in the "Arrange" version, the PS1 comes with 2 versions.

Parakeetman

8 is the pinnacle of the series.

With that said, you may want to try the older series for a more traditional, grid-based, turn-based gameplay. You can already see the Japanese influence in 7 hilariously enough. Starting off at 8 might give you a slightly bad impression on the older games.

Mind you, 8 still has some missing stuff.

btw wtf did you turn your avatar into this time? lol

---

man i wish i still had all of my old pc stuff. i think it all got thrown out years ago when was doing a huge house cleaning before moving as dumped a bunch of old boxes without looking in them like an idiot. D: along with a ton of other old pc games... wonder if the guys at GOG are gonna try to get those titles as it seems they only have 6-8 at the moment?

cj_iwakura

Tale of the Forsaken Land on PS2 is the best one.

Since no one's really said why...

• Fantastic localization, fully developed cast of NPCs with great art
  • AMAZING OST
  • Vicious difficulty, wide variety of dungeons
  • Great story, seriously.

8-pcsx2-r4085_2011-01-19_17-23-08-30.jpg

None of the others come close.

Fhtagn

I played the ever living shit out of Wizardry 1 on a Mac Plus in the 80s. It was one of a few games I had and I loved it.

I think they are basically impossible to properly play now though. I never really got very far into the game as it was; it's hard as hell and player hostile.

Dark Spire on the DS is a pretty good homage that's playable now.

Parakeetman

Considering the OP hasnt been back since the second post they did, they cant be all that interested into the series lol.

I played the ever living shit out of Wizardry 1 on a Mac Plus in the 80s. It was one of a few games I had and I loved it.

I think they are basically impossible to properly play now though. I never really got very far into the game as it was; it's hard as hell and player hostile.

Thats one of the main reasons why the series was popular in general. Similar to other older PC rpgs back then. Even here in Japan, before the Japanese devs took over with stuff lots of old gamers still make jokes about how unforgiving wizardry was lol.

Honestly thats one thing which is missing from the genre in general. As lots of things have gotten to be "Baby's first DRPG" instead.

autoduelist

Steam is already lacking in terms of D-RPGs.

Check out Heroes of a Broken Land too (amid the Paper Sorcerer mentions). I haven't played it yet, but I did buy it as soon as I saw it on principal.

LATE EDiT -- oh, and Bard's Tale of course. Still in shock we're getting a new one!

ON Wizardry topic:

I just did some googling and found a couple year old thread that suggests Sony owns Wizardry now?
http://community.us.playstation.com/t5/PlayStation-General/Wizardry-now-owned-by-Sony/td-p/42045533

I don't know if this is true, and the comments to that one are worthless.

Does anyone here know anything more about that? I'd love a proper gog release or remake of the series.

Lusal

Neo Member
The backwards naming scheme was pretty funny.

Robert Greenberg = Trebor
Andrew Woodhead = Werdna

These guys were both huge devotees of Role Playing Games - whether they were tabletop or computer/video games. They lived, breathed and loved RPGs.

During my stint with Sir-Tech, among several things, I quickly learned about the dirty side of the industry. The seedy underbelly that lies beneath. It manifested itself as a constant stream of litigation and law suits from parties involved in the development and publishing segment. The industry was in it's relative infancy and contracts weren't as ironclad or thorough as they are now. The contractual verbiage was much less refined. As a result, parties brought suits as they saw fit when properties were licensed out and distribution agreements were signed. No one wanted to be left out when the money train was leaving the station.

These games are the progenitors of the genre and deserve a playthrough if you have the means. They may seem a tad crude and rudimentary, but the spirit and core of the genre is conveyed wonderfully.

Parakeetman

The backwards naming scheme was pretty funny.

Robert Greenberg = Trebor
Andrew Woodhead = Werdna

These guys were both huge devotees of Role Playing Games - whether they were tabletop or computer/video games. They lived, breathed and loved RPGs.

During my stint with Sir-Tech, among several things, I quickly learned about the dirty side of the industry. The seedy underbelly that lies beneath. It manifested itself as a constant stream of litigation and law suits from parties involved in the development and publishing segment. The industry was in it's relative infancy and contracts weren't as ironclad or thorough as they are now. The contractual verbiage was much less refined. As a result, parties brought suits as they saw fit when properties were licensed out and distribution agreements were signed. No one wanted to be left out when the money train was leaving the station. Must have been cool regardless being back that far with gaming history and all that.

These games are the progenitors of the genre and deserve a playthrough if you have the means. They may seem a tad crude and rudimentary, but the spirit and core of the genre is conveyed wonderfully.

Thats pretty cool that you were with Sir-Tech for a while. Yeah game industry most def is not Kittens, Flowers and Sunshine once you are on the inside. lol Anyone who says otherwise never was down in the trenches. Even now there are all sorts of "hilarious" things that happen in regards to contracts... At times to the point where you would think its a bunch of kids in a sandbox kicking sand at each other. Then again with the amount of $$$ that is spent these days on development, its no surprise why either...

explodet

Wizardry IV is like a kaizo romhack of CRPGs. It's so unreasonably difficult and obtuse. I'd wager that 99% of people who play it nowadays would have no idea how to even leave the first room you start in.

So yeah start there.

Do not listen do this man, he is not your friend, he does not fight for freedom.

4 especially is honestly a straight up bad game meant to fuck with experienced Wizardry players, and it's packed with trial and error/pure luck... I have a hard time imagining it showing up remade PS1 in any way resembling what it originally was.
Even in my foolhardy youth where I spent hours playing Wizardry games, I wouldn't even THINK about approaching IV.

1391803781270_zpsmgvi1o5n.jpg

Parakeetman

They are indeed great still, with an open mind and the context that a lot of gamers enjoyed being challenged in brutal ways back then. And for those who didn't, there was Ultima, haha! (I just finished Akalabeth and Ultima 1, pardon the jab)

Which era did you work there? Every time someone from there gets interviewed they say similar things... It really sounds like the gaming industry took a nasty turn after the initial wild west years.

Things always take a nasty turn once more and more $$$ starts getting involved... Since its less about making games and more about turning profits.

Its why a lot of folks seem to be more "nostalgic" towards indie devs, because its people who are making games they want to play, over games that they want to sell. If that makese sense.

Tale of the Forsaken Land on PS2 is the best one.

Since no one's really said why...

• Fantastic localization, fully developed cast of NPCs with great art
  • AMAZING OST
  • Vicious difficulty, wide variety of dungeons
  • Great story, seriously.

8-pcsx2-r4085_2011-01-19_17-23-08-30.jpg

None of the others come close.

Good lord, man, you are not kidding on that OST.

Durante

The Elminage games are pretty heavy classic Wizardry-clones. They feature fantastic art, and at times some brutal encounters (though you won't have to worry about back-up juggling to preserve your precious characters). Most of the other "fun" aspects are preserved, like trap-chests that cast a teleport spell. If the spell just happens to teleport you into a wall...well your party is wiped out.
By the way, I can't say I'm very happy about Gothic bombing. Steam is already lacking in terms of D-RPGs.
Agreed. On the other hand, at least you can expect to play gothic for a few hundred hours if you want to complete it :p

Lusal

Neo Member
They are indeed great still, with an open mind and the context that a lot of gamers enjoyed being challenged in brutal ways back then. And for those who didn't, there was Ultima, haha! (I just finished Akalabeth and Ultima 1, pardon the jab)

Which era did you work there? Every time someone from there gets interviewed they say similar things... It really sounds like the gaming industry took a nasty turn after the initial wild west years.

I started there in the latter portion of Sir-Tech's existence. The early 90's. Went from production (packing game boxes) during the summer months to QA Assistant to Technical Writer to Public Relations in the span of a couple years.

The company was reeling at that point. It was desperate to generate and find new IP's and sign new publishing deals to bolster revenue and generate some profit. Jagged Alliance and Wizardry Gold were the cornerstones at the time (shocker). Wizardry Nemesis didn't pan out very well sales wise. They signed a deal to localize and publish The Realms of Arkania Series - which were really solid RPGs in their own right. I was assisting the QA on those titles quite a bit. It was a joy to go to work during that period of time. Jagged Alliance 2 was in Alpha and the internal demo release was super promising. Really good stuff.

The proverbial nail in the coffin was the inking of the Telstar deal. The PC and PSX titles they brought to the table were abysmal. A few of the titles tried to cash in on the popularity of some of the current best sellers on the market (Tomb Raider, Descent and Mario Kart). They just weren't as polished and lacked the gameplay hook that's required to generate critical or consumer buzz.

It quickly devolved at that point. Layoffs, firings and a mass exodus of key personnel was just another death knell. Before long, the publishing side was largely gone and the development side - Sir-Tech Ottawa - was the last bastion of hope.

I was gone at that point. Memories and experience were the only things I took with me.

Parakeetman

The Elminage games are pretty heavy classic Wizardry-clones. They feature fantastic art, and at times some brutal encounters (though you won't have to worry about back-up juggling to preserve your precious characters). Most of the other "fun" aspects are preserved, like trap-chests that cast a teleport spell. If the spell just happens to teleport you into a wall...well your party is wiped out.

Ill have to ask someone that I know that had ties with Starfish in regards to the suspicion that basically Elminage was "Elminage" due to Starfish and their license for Wizardry running out, so they just needed a new name for the series. Know Acquire was another publisher that had the license with the PS3 games that they had done along with mobile versions too. Think? one other publisher had the license to the name also, but would have to look up on that.

I started there in the latter portion of Sir-Tech's existence. The early 90's. Went from production (packing game boxes) during the summer months to QA Assistant to Technical Writer to Public Relations in the span of a couple years.

The company was reeling at that point. It was desperate to generate and find new IP's and sign new publishing deals to bolster revenue and generate some profit. Jagged Alliance and Wizardry Gold were the cornerstones at the time (shocker). Wizardry Nemesis didn't pan out very well sales wise. They signed a deal to localize and publish The Realms of Arkania Series - which were really solid RPGs in their own right. I was assisting the QA on those titles quite a bit. It was a joy to go to work during that period of time. Jagged Alliance 2 was in Alpha and the internal demo release was super promising. Really good stuff.

The proverbial nail in the coffin was the inking of the Telstar deal. The PC and PSX titles they brought to the table were abysmal. A few of the titles tried to cash in on the popularity of some of the current best sellers on the market (Tomb Raider, Descent and Mario Kart). They just weren't as polished and lacked the gameplay hook that's required to generate critical or consumer buzz.

It quickly devolved at that point. Layoffs, firings and a mass exodus of key personnel was just another death knell. Before long, the publishing side was largely gone and the development side - Sir-Tech Ottawa - was the last bastion of hope.

I was gone at that point. Memories and experience were the only things I took with me.

Fascinating. Who now owns the rights? I'd like to see the possibility of remasters.

Parakeetman

Fascinating. Who now owns the rights? I'd like to see the possibility of remasters.

This was posted on Gamefaqs about a year ago.

I'm responding to geelw's statement in the first archieved topic regarding why we don't get new Wizardry games here in the US: I think the rights to the wizardry games in North America are a bit messed up or something. There's no other reason I can think of why we haven't gotten a new Wizardry game here in almost ten years while they keep crankin' them out in Japan for a number of platforms...

With Wizardry Online being released by Gamepot here in North America as well, do you think maybe that's over?

I was reading the actual court cases and other accounts. Apparently what happened is that Andrew Greenberg, the creator of Wizardry, made a deal with publishing company Sir Tech, selling the rights to the Wizardry series in exchange for Sir Tech giving co-ownership credit to Greenberg and royalties to Andrew Greenberg, Inc. on all future Wizardry games. That's not just your typical instant millionaire buy-out, that's a very long-term deal that could actually outlive Greenberg.

Now, Sir Tech was a company in New York operated by a family named Sirotech, and they made the deal with Greenberg in New York. The court case happened because Sir Tech disbanded in New York, then the Sirotech Family created Sir Tech Canada in Canada, and stopped paying Greenberg. Meanwhile Sir Tech Canada continued to produce Wizardry games.

Greenberg sued in New York when he stopped getting paid, and that's when he found all this out. He won at trial, then got overturned on appeal on a technicality. He then filed again under a "long arm" statute in New York (had he amended his complaint in the first trial once he found out Sir Tech had moved to Canada, perhaps he'd have won the first case?). Sir Tech Canada made many attempts to dismiss the second lawsuit and counterclaims against Greenberg, generally failing, and in the process Greenberg produced a lot of evidence in his favor. The reason Greenberg could sue Sir Tech Canada is because: the same Sirotech family that made the deal with Greenburg in New York were still the main actors in Sir Tech Canada; Sir Tech Canada was clearly using the Wizardry properties, and Sir Tech Canada was clearly marketing Wizardry VII in New York.

Sir Tech Canada eventually went bankrupt before this case was done with, and there were more lawsuits about how the assets got settled. I think the last appeals court decision was in 2007--and that was pre-trial--and there's another appeals decision on the bankruptcy in 2010. If I'm even remembering that correctly. I believe Greenberg settled almost all of the claims in the bankruptcy proceeding except for monetary damages.

Ultimately, a Japanese company called Gamepot bought the rights to the series from the ashes. I read an account of an interview in which Gamepot's president said he believes the company can create new Wizardry games, but re-releasing Wizardry 1-5 may be a problem because the spell names are trademarked--in English (not in Japanese). Evidently they don't think they're bound by Sir Tech's original deal with Greenberg. With Gamepot safely tucked away in Japan, they couldn't be sued by Greenberg in New York if they didn't release games in the United States. This doesn't explain Wizardry: Tale of the Forsaken Land, though. With the release of Wizardry Online, however, it appears that the intellectual property cases are over due to settlements in the bankruptcy or other cases.

cj_iwakura

I'd love to know the logistics of how Busin(Tale of the Forsaken Land) came out here renamed as Wizardry without a hitch, not to mention Labyrinth of Lost Souls' localization.

Parakeetman

NolbertoS

I totally forgot about this series. I'm into an old school JRPG itch. Played all rhe DQ, FF and Etrian Odysseys and now want Wizardry. I'll start off with the PSN one before I move to thr GOG ones. Are GOG ones in English though, GAF.

Fhtagn

Thats one of the main reasons why the series was popular in general. Similar to other older PC rpgs back then. Even here in Japan, before the Japanese devs took over with stuff lots of old gamers still make jokes about how unforgiving wizardry was lol.

Honestly thats one thing which is missing from the genre in general. As lots of things have gotten to be "Baby's first DRPG" instead.

And in turn, it's a big part of why I instantly fell in love with Dark Souls; if you're playing without help, it's basically a blend of Wizardry's what the fuck and Zelda 1, combined with action combat.

Going back later and playing King's Field really gave me the "this is real time solo-character" Wizardry feeling, due to the primitiveness of the first person graphics.

The first thing that happens in King's Field (2 in Japan) is hilariously player hostile:
if you take a step or two forward, you immediately fall in water and die.

Parakeetman

And in turn, it's a big part of why I instantly fell in love with Dark Souls; if you're playing without help, it's basically a blend of Wizardry's what the fuck and Zelda 1, combined with action combat.

Going back later and playing King's Field really gave me the "this is real time solo-character" Wizardry feeling, due to the primitiveness of the first person graphics.

The first thing that happens in King's Field (2 in Japan) is hilariously player hostile:

When I first got Demons Souls when it released here in Japan, had instantly thought "Jesus Christ the maniacs at From went and made a third person Kings Field" lol.

That and other stuff like the obvious
giant squid.
which is meant to fuck you up if you do something stupid like poke it with that "stick" you start off with. Think that was KF1.

Could you imagine right now in the US how much this shit would sell if they made a working version on the PS4. Sure dont update the graphics, but just get the game running on the system and have a limited print for those who wanted it with initial pre-orders to get a general number of how many to make. With how much Froms name has exploded onto the scene would be pretty high Id imagine. That and not too many people in general remember Kings Field outside of the old school From fans.

KFDarkSideBox.jpg

Mine is still sitting in the closet nice and safe.

---

What was always funny about the Wizardry and games such as Kings Field, is that it gave you a pretty good impression of what happens to real people who try to be adventurers. You die lol

While the game was rated poorly and do not blame folks for doing so to said title the 2 PSP "King's Field Additional I & II" games were also in the category of fucking with the player on purpose. While they are nothing like the PS / PS2 KF games, they are a bit closer to something like Eye of the Beholder, cept you are a single entity and do not control a party. Combat is different too. Though the general grid based navigation and how things like puzzles / traps are handled reminded me of it. Its too bad they never came out in the West. Though you can get them digitally on JPSN or find physical copies rather cheap as folks generally seem to hate the game and with good reason too lol. I like them for what they are, but at the same time do not really suggest the titles to folks due to how the title itself is designed.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UnIi41uNovA
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LD2ewyaRp6g

Loved it.
Shadow Tower (by the same team) had a similar opening. If you moved in any direction besides directly forward, you fell to your death.
KF: The Ancient City (the PS2 game) had the crumbling floors, so you could fall into lava as soon as you started the game.

Also IIRC the very first secret door in KF3 (KF2 in the US) killed you.

Parakeetman

Loved it.
Shadow Tower (by the same team) had a similar opening. If you moved in any direction besides directly forward, you fell to your death.
KF: The Ancient City (the PS2 game) had the crumbling floors, so you could fall into lava as soon as you started the game.

Also IIRC the very first secret door in KF3 (KF2 in the US) killed you.

STA the
statue on the stairs going down from the starting area which would crush & kill you instantly lol

autoduelist

I totally forgot about this series. I'm into an old school JRPG itch. Played all rhe DQ, FF and Etrian Odysseys and now want Wizardry. I'll start off with the PSN one before I move to thr GOG ones. Are GOG ones in English though, GAF.

Yeah, the early Wizardry's are all in English... it was a US franchise at the time. It wasn't till much later that the Japanese took over, see post 91

Parakeetman

The PSN one is pretty bare bones actually in comparison to the other Wizardry titles am not sure if it is exactly the best example of what to try out. While its a good time waster, am not sure if I would call it something worth looking into if one wants to start into the Wizardry series.

Yeah the GOG ones are in English Wiz 6-8.

http://www.gog.com/game/wizardry_6_7

http://www.gog.com/game/wizardry_8

Parakeetman

Damn. I don't think I ran into that.
Well, I'm not very far into the game, so I should double-back and check it out.

Yeah its literally right at the start.
Its possible for it to totally miss you and you would never know as one would just write it off to background noise if you didnt turn around after it fell over. But if it hits you on the way down the stairs it should kill you instantly. Think it falls from the Right side of the stairs.

Just start a new game if you want to see it.

-------

Do not listen do this man, he is not your friend, he does not fight for freedom.

Even in my foolhardy youth where I spent hours playing Wizardry games, I wouldn't even THINK about approaching IV.

1391803781270_zpsmgvi1o5n.jpg

Finally got through reading this, pretty good stuff haha.

After beating Etrian Odyssey 1 with bonus boss, Dark Spire with the final ending, and Phantasy Star 1 (easy compared to the others but I mapped out all the maps by hand in a notepad unlike those two), I thought I was finally badass enough to play Wizardry 1: Proving Grounds of the Mad Overlord.

...I was not badass enough. But interestingly it wasn't the enemies that made me stop, it was the dungeon design being obnoxious. In Phantasy Star 1, you can go from one floor to another and count on the top of a staircase of floor 2 to be one square forward from the bottom of that staircase on floor 1.

It made mapping the dungeons a snap. In Wizardry 1, the bottom staircase of floor 1 and the top staircase on floor 2 can be on opposite ends of the map, so every floor you advance you have to figure out how the hell the map is aligned this time.

Call it a weird nitpick, but as someone who was totally ready to cartography the fuck out of this old game, it really threw me off. What hammered the final nail in the coffin was the pit traps on Floor 3 in Wizardry 1. Specifically how going in and out of the menu (to assess the damage that happened to you in the trap for instance apparently counted as me taking a step in the SNES version at least, so that somehow made me fall into the pit AGAIN and lose even more party members. Cue ragequit and never touching it again.

But maybe I'm willing to give it another shot one of these days.

Malio

Wizardry 6 was the one that got me hooked, so I would start there. HOWEVER, if you have a low tolerance for really poor graphics, rough UI, and almost NO modern rpg conveniences I would just go straight to Wizardry 8. It's long, and satisfying as hell.

Then go back and see if you can deal with the poor graphics and rough interface of 6 & 7. (they are both great..try :) )

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
ninja fairies are quite popular

btw wtf did you turn your avatar into this time? lol

---

man i wish i still had all of my old pc stuff. i think it all got thrown out years ago when was doing a huge house cleaning before moving as dumped a bunch of old boxes without looking in them like an idiot. D: along with a ton of other old pc games... wonder if the guys at GOG are gonna try to get those titles as it seems they only have 6-8 at the moment?

it's mega ray ray lol

I thought the older Wizardry are free to download?

Top Bottom