• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Elite: Dangerous out now for X1 - space combat/exploration/tradiing sim - $38/£30/€38

Today, Elite: Dangerous is now available on the Xbox One store. Previously, it was available at $30 in its Early Access version; now, the full version is $37.49 in the US, £29.99 in the UK and €37.49 in Europe.

If you previously owned the Early Access version, you will automatically be upgraded at no extra charge.

There is currently a Reddit AMA with the team on the /XboxOne subreddit. Check it out to ask the team any questions you have!

Xbox One Store details:

Size:5.3 GB
Release Date: 10/6/2015
Developer:Frontier Developments
Publisher:Frontier Developments
Genre:Action & Adventure, Multi-player Online Battle Arena, Racing & Flying, Strategy & Simulation

Game Description:Starting with only a small starship and a few credits, do whatever it takes to earn the skill, knowledge, wealth and power to survive in a cutthroat galaxy and stand among the ranks of the iconic Elite. In an age of galactic superpowers and interstellar war, every player’s story influences the connected galaxy and evolving narrative. Governments fall, battles are lost and won, and humanity’s frontier is reshaped, all by players’ actions. Explore, trade, fight and survive in Elite: Dangerous' massively multiplayer galaxy, and challenge the world in CQC: Close Quarter Combat. Become Elite in the interstellar PVP arenas of the ultimate 34th century gladiatorial contest. 400 Billion Star Systems. Infinite Freedom. Blaze Your Own Trail. You will need to register a free Elite: Dangerous account with Frontier to play the game.

There is a solid Elite-GAF crew for you to play with, as well. We play on PC and X1:

Elite: Dangerous OT
Neo Galactic Adventure Force (Elite-GAF) Thread -- This is a thread for our Player Group, which have recently been added to Elite. This gives GAF a "home" in the galaxy and we can eventually become a faction that could have influence in the galaxy.

Footage:
Xbox One Early Access launch trailer (shows off CQC)
Best Elite pilot for PvP or just entertaining/enthralling videos

There has been so little coverage of this game. I've been waiting for any of the major outlets to cover this, but nobody touched it during the preview. I've never played anything like this before, and it looks super intimidating. Can anyone who has played it get into some depth about if for the Xbox one?

There's a community thread that's simply too big to sort through for reviews.

I'm extremely curious to see how well this will sell. Space sims are a niche genre and it remains to be seen whether the console audience will be interested in giving the game a chance. I hope it does well, it would be cool to see space sims appeal to the mainstream.

There has been so little coverage of this game. I've been waiting for any of the major outlets to cover this, but nobody touched it during the preview. I've never played anything like this before, and it looks super intimidating. Can anyone who has played it get into some depth about if for the Xbox one?

There's a community thread that's simply too big to sort through for reviews.

Well, the X1 is basically the same game as the PC--it will be behind a little bit on some of the big updates, but it actually shares the same universe space/background simulation as the PC. So your influence in the galaxy is felt by PC players.

Is there anything you're looking for in particular? There are some great beginner/welcome vids on Elite.

Nice! Will anything carry over from preview?? My ships and credits? Reputation?

Full details here:

Current Missions will expire
Unsold exploration data will be removed and credited
Exploration history will be lost, including any first discovered planets (This does mean that you could get more credits from exploring everything again)
Keep the location that you last logged out from
Keep all Ships, Modules, Cargo, Damage and Fuel
Keep Ranks for Exploration, Trade, Combat and CQC
Keep Powerplay Rating, Merits and Duration spent at that rating
Keep Minor Faction reputation
Keep Bounties, Fines, Vouchers and Permits.
Keep Statics - Balance, Combat, Crime, Smuggling, Trading, Mining, Exploration, CQC Stats

nakedeyes

Banned
Wasn't this going to come to PS4 at some point too?

Not trying to port beg, just curious if it is or if anyone might know when.

Also, anyone know if it is fully realtime cross platform with PC version? Or is it just the influence stuff mentioned above?

Also, anyone know if it is fully realtime cross platform with PC version? Or is it just the influence stuff mentioned above?

PS4 version is planned but still a little ways off. Maybe next year?

And no, no cross play :( Just the shared universe.

I technically own the PC version since I supported the Kickstarter, but I rarely play on my aging PC anymore. I'd prefer to wait for a PS4 version if the VR support carries over (again, not really worth getting an Oculus on my system), but I certainly would like to actually start playing the game. Might look into this then.

I bought this when it was in early access, and enjoyed it for about an hour. I just need more time in my life to devote to it.

Excited for Launch. I've been playing it since it was launched on game preview on XB1 during E3. Pretty game, great space sim whos biggest failing is trying to play it with limited number of inputs on a standard wifi controller. Elite controller gonna do great thigns for the play experience of this game.

Love the many roles to play. I have a large multirole clipper I can reconfig as a trading vessel, explorer or combat ship, great game to stream to laptop and run trade routes while watching TV or a movie.

EGM1966

They noted it probably would a few times IIRC. Quite sensibly for once (take notes Square Enix) releasing on XB1 first makes sense given the hype around No Man's Sky and the fact the PC codebase presumably is DirectX centric.

Easier job, work out controller mapping, avoid an obvious competing product that looked to be releasing close to when you'd release and they have a solid prior relationship via their Kinect titles.

Unless it does so badly on XB1 they decide to forget consoles (which I hope doesn't happen) I'm sure they'll then bring it to PS4.

Still enjoying it on PC and it's worth a look for sure, if for no reason than this is what real open world feels like and it's just so interesting to see a title like this on console again.

Now if only someone would release a fantastic sequel to Freespace 2.

zorbsie

Can XB1 players join the player group or is it just for PC players? Haven't had much time to really dig into the game. But I really do love what little I have played.

I love the game, but I couldn't play it on a TV screen, not after experiencing it in VR. You can just see so much more in VR, follow enemy ships' flight paths much better by watching out your windows, and it feels more natural. Microsoft needs a VR headset, damnit!

Buggy Loop

Isinona's CQC with flight assist off (very hard).

Some crazy moves sometimes, but he gets killed a few times by bumping into asteroids or station. I can only imagine the kind of CQC matches he'll do in a couple of months once he's used to it.

https://youtu.be/vYv5ri9yN18

Wait so is this space combat, trading, pvp or what?

Combat is probably the deepest part of the game right now. While you can take on combat missions, they don't get super lucrative until later in the game. This basically has you flying around the galaxy finding Wanted criminals, killing them, and turning in bounties OR finding combat zones, choosing an allegiance, then turning in combat bonds for profit. There are also assassination missions and ambushes that you can take part in, oh and also you can be pulled out of supercruise (kinda like the step right below hypercruise--can go many times the speed of light) and attacked by pirates or bounty hunters.

Elite has a great base flight model, so flying and combat and evasion is usually really satisfying.

Trading consists of basically playing "market" with supply/demand. Find commodity cheap somewhere in the galaxy, fly somewhere where it's in high demand, and profit. Fastest way to make money and get all the ships--also, the biggest playable ships in the game right now are mostly trade ships.

Keep in mind, the above two aren't separate modes, just different options to pursue in the game world. The can be played in "Open", which has you flying around with other players, or "Solo" which is just PvE. It's all one big game world. Exploration is a part of that, but is pretty barebones at the moment. Beautiful sights, though.

PvP was always a part of the game, but a PvP mode "Close Quarters Combat" was added. Uses only the two smallest ships in the game, plus a third that's only playable in CQC. Smaller scale but basically arena combat in space and around space stations, meteor fields. DM, TDM, and CTF.

Top Bottom