• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Game Grumps (aka Egoraptor plays some games)

SilentRob

If you don't like zelda thats ok , if Arin don't like zelda TP thats ok its fine. I watch game grump and like sonic, clearly I don't really give a shit. But to claim a game... that to this day is still kind of the only modern zelda success compared OOC ... as a game no one liked... is... a lie. Like if you don't like it, thats ok, but there is literally success that says that there is metric fuck ton of people who do.

I mean, come on, Arin isn't writing a dissertation there, he is talking off the cuff, exaggerating to make a point etc. etc. He just talks about stuff the way you and I would talk about stuff when meeting up. I feel like many, many, maaaany discussions regarding Game Grumps would be way, way shorter if people made themselfes more aware of that. It's two friends talking with each other without really giving it much thought that they are recording the stuff they are saying, that's the very appeal of GG. They exaggerate and belittle und make fun of stuff, as you and I and everyone else does :)

Obviously he doesn't mean that LITERALLY nobody liked TP, it's simply an exaggeration with which he wants to make clear that, as far as he knows, TP is generally regarded as the worst mainline Zelda game. And at that point we are simply, again, talking about your opinion and the opinions of the people around you and forums you visit. I, too, am really surprised seeing you being so surprised about his TP remarks because I thought that was simply the established thinking. It just made me once again aware of the fact that you never really know what "the public" or "the fandom" thinks. You only know what you and the people around you think.

Sixfortyfive

He who pursues two rabbits gets two rabbits.
If you don't like zelda thats ok , if Arin don't like zelda TP thats ok its fine. I watch game grump and like sonic, clearly I don't really give a shit. But to claim a game... that to this day is still kind of the only modern zelda success compared OOC ... as a game no one liked... is... a lie. Like if you don't like it, thats ok, but there is literally success that says that there is metric fuck ton of people who do.

Example, I don't like uncharted, I don't like anything ND did after jak and daxter, they went super realistic and sorta dipped. I will not claim no one likes Uncharted, and everyone likes Jak And Daxter , because that is lie. One was way more successful and has become and model for other games.... the other one is a game(s) i had fun with and didn't do much of anything past the GC/ps2 era and bought and HD version later. You see the parallels?

I don't talk much about grumps anymore, but this got me to type some stuff. Like if you don't like some shit, cool. Everyone don't like shit, but don't lie.

You're the first person I've seen in a long time to suggest that Twilight Princess compares favorably to other 3D Zeldas.

Village

I mean, come on, Arin isn't writing a dissertation there, he is talking off the cuff, exaggerating to make a point etc. etc. He just talks about stuff the way you and I would talk about stuff when meeting up. I feel like many, many, maaaany discussions regarding Game Grumps would be way, way shorter if people made themselfes more aware of that. It's two friends talking with each other without really giving it much thought that they are recording the stuff they are saying, that's the very appeal of GG. They exaggerate and belittle und make fun of stuff, as you and I and everyone else does :)
Its a discussion topic about game grumps, I am discussing what he said. I think its stupid. i don't know what you wan't . If you don't think its actually worth discussing you could... ignore me. And wait till a new topic comes around.

Obviously he doesn't mean that LITERALLY nobody liked TP, it's simply an exaggeration with which he wants to make clear that, as far as he knows, TP is generally regarded as the worst mainline Zelda game. And at that point we are simply, again, talking about your opinion and the opinions of the people around you and forums you visit.

... No one was... claiming he... said that literally... at all. And yeah sure... the people you around formulate your opinions. But my whole point was... there is a level of success where that's not even a thing. When that thing becomes the model for stuff, thats ... not even. The reason that it is the model is because it is the exact opposite of the thing you claim.

All that said... no one was claiming arin was making hard life statements that will effect his life forever. I just thought he said... was kind of lying and super stupid. And I was critical of that... and being critical of the game grumps... is sort of the point of the thread. So... what are you even going for here.

Like you could just... skip what i'm saying and talk about something else if thats like what you want.

The few people I talk to irl about Zelda and shit really like Twilight Princess but they're mostly way more casual than people who sit around complaining about them on the Internet (myself included). I like it more than Wind Waker myself, but I haven't played it in a long time. It was also my first Zelda so I might have been more forgiving of it when I played it.

Boogiepop

I mean, if we're talking dicey things from that rant, didn't he also say nobody played the DS games? I mean, I don't particularly care that much and I can see how he had that impression as they didn't leave a huge impression, but I feel like Phantom Hourglass was one of the better selling games in the series in general...

Grexeno

I mean, if we're talking dicey things from that rant, didn't he also say nobody played the DS games? I mean, I don't particularly care that much and I can see how he had that impression as they didn't leave a huge impression, but I feel like Phantom Hourglass was one of the better selling games in the series in general...
In the case of the DS games it actually is more accurate to say that, while a lot of people played them, people generally were not huge fans.

Boogiepop

Actually, didn't he also say that Twilight Princess felt rushed? Seems weird, especially when being positive about Wind Waker. (Not saying anything about the actual quality of either game or which one's better or anything, just feels like an odd statement to make, considering how blatant it is that Wind Waker was rushed).

Not a huge issue or anything, but yeah, that was not the best put together rant, and probably just goes to show how varied people's feelings on the franchise, and even what's "consensus" about it, can be.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
If anything, this song makes Twilight Princess the best Zelda game in the entire franchise. The song. The area associated with it. All the characters. The entire experience. Best. Zelda. Ever.

I don't know if I'm being sarcastic or not.
Mario Maker is less fun to watch than I thought it would be. There's something very uninteresting about seeing the same thing over and over again.
I disagree. It's all about the commentary and the frustration the player is going through. Arin's descent into madness is amazing.

Though I really love watching people play really hard platformers like this. Like Super Beard Bros and their Kaizo Mario series (They're up to III now) as well as their Mario Maker plays. Or Patrick Keplek playing Mario Maker too.

Reknoc

So, someone is going to have to explain this one to me. The Zelda game that was a launch title on console that sold crazy well somehow managed to sell really well and thus people must have really loved it despite popular opinion on it usually seems to be pretty negative?

So, someone is going to have to explain this one to me. The Zelda game that was a launch title on console that sold crazy well somehow managed to sell really well and thus people must have really loved it despite popular opinion on it usually seems to be pretty negative?

Welcome to Zelda game discussions!

Things that sell can have a relatively negative reception, especially after the dust has settled. You have to look no further than GTA4 or Elder Scrolls: Oblivion for some examples. They reviewed well and sold well, but that's probably not going to be the tone any more if people are discussing it today.

He could have phrased it better, but on the scale of Arin's statements, it seems fairly innocuous. He's probably talking about how it was received his own group of friends, and communities he's part of. The people I hang with don't care all that much about TP either. That would probably contextualise the 'people didn't play the DS Zelda games' comment.

sonto340

I disagree. It's all about the commentary and the frustration the player is going through. Arin's descent into madness is amazing.

Though I really love watching people play really hard platformers like this. Like Super Beard Bros and their Kaizo Mario series (They're up to III now) as well as their Mario Maker plays. Or Patrick Keplek playing Mario Maker too.
I enjoy this too, but the problem is arin tries to force it WAY too hard sometimes. Like most of sonic adventure DX was insufferable because it was arin very obviously over reacting

Until Big the Cat. My favorite set of grumps episodes in a loooooong time

Reknoc

Things that sell can have a relatively negative reception, especially after the dust has settled. You have to look no further than GTA4 or Elder Scrolls: Oblivion for some examples. They reviewed well and sold well, but that's probably not going to be the tone any more if people are discussing it today.

He could have phrased it better, but on the scale of Arin's statements, it seems fairly innocuous. He's probably talking about how it was received his own group of friends, and communities he's part of. The people I hang with don't care all that much about TP either. That would probably contextualise the 'people didn't play the DS Zelda games' comment.

Oh I get that, my comment was more towards this thread than the whatever Arin said. Even as a fan of TP I don't disagree with his statement, it just isn't a well loved game.

I really think Arin intentionally says stuff like 'TP sucks' to rustle people's jimmies. He knows people are going to discuss it endlessly. Also because Zelda fans have been particularly nasty to Arin for stuff he's said about some games in the series.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
I just hope Danny can convince him to let them play both Twilight Princess and Skyward Sword. In their entirety. Without complaining all the way through.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
Danny has expressed intent to play all of them, so what you're asking for seems pretty possi-

-...oh.
Hah. Yeah, it's a long shot.

Actually I'll take it even with Arin complaining all the way. As long as Danny gets to play it. I take it Arin, even though he complains about them, has played them all to know what to do.

TP I could deal with. SS sound like it would be painful because I don't see them getting the hang of the controls, Arin is already very sceptical about them. He'll probably bring up the whole 'they only work 98% of the time therefore they suck' argument constantly. Hm. It might be entertaining nonetheless.

TP is my second favorite Zelda next to Majora's. Though I think mechanically it's by far the best 3D Zelda. The dungeons are all fun, the items are largely unique. Plenty of stuff was new on top of a tried and true formula.

Village

mmm popular is some dahlsm type stuff

oh... wait... wait Oh my god. Windwaker is the 3rd strike/Tokyo drift of zelda games.

Twilight Princess has grown on me so much recently, I think it's my favorite 3D Zelda now.

Although it's hard not to favor Majora's Mask.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
Today I learned Dodger's name is Brooke.

Edit: And apparently they moved the MGS play through to Suzy's channel. Guess I have to follow that over. Also, why they put it at the start of the Mario Maker episode instead of the middle slot where people who were originally into it would see it is strange. Or make it a separate video or something. Either way, I was wondering where that went.

Also, the Auto-Mario levels at the start of today's episode are really cool. At least that Japanese one after Ross'. Though I understand Arin's complaints about them.

Steroyd

Poor Dan, on one hand he's trying to complete Jirard's hard level, and on the other hand getting bombarded with Arin's Yoda jokes.

Fucking hilarious.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
I'm enjoying Jirard's levels and episodes around them much more than Ross'.

Jirard has just played through all three Kaizo games. He knows a thing or two about having just the right amount of hair-pulling frustration and as little time doing it so it doesn't become a chore. (Shorter hard-ass bite-size levels instead of Ross-length levels since there's no save states.)

Arin was on a roll today. Two levels down in the first 5 minutes.

I just want to say that the Yoda jokes episode is the hardest I've laughed that I can remember. Between the crappy voice and Danny being overwhelmed by the voice and the level at the same time, it's the most I've enjoyed an episode in ages.

I just want to say that the Yoda jokes episode is the hardest I've laughed that I can remember. Between the crappy voice and Danny being overwhelmed by the voice and the level at the same time, it's the most I've enjoyed an episode in ages.

Pretty much the same way I felt as well. I think that combo is why it kept being funny way after the point it should have gotten stale.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
I'm definitely going to have to add that one to my favorites and rewatch it tonight.

I wonder when they're gonna go back to Keep Talking. It has so much potential. And it's entertaining as hell. Especially when it gets to the harder levels.

And Galaxy. Wither Mario Galaxy. Oh and what about the finale of Undertale? Why did they purposely stop right before the supposed finale?

Also when does the next chapter of Kings Quest come out so they can play that.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
Oh. My. God. The opening to today's Mario Maker. Aside from the sweet sweet CrunchyRoll song. (I don't care for Anime. At all.) Very Simple. Fucking hilarious.

557604_10151271409085250_1008959736_n.jpg

Here it is, the final donation set of games from Gaf-Grumps. Who can pick out the stuff i added, hopefully you all approve ; )

I got nostalgic and went back and checked the early days of the thread. Still hope at some point some of the early GAF-Grumps picks finally made it, but we can always be proud we made Punch-Out Wii happen.

Seriously though, i've been going through backlog episodes late at night, and man, its had its ups and downs, but i still enjoy Game Grumps, and i wouldn't trade all the time i've spend watching it or anything. Its brought me a hell of a lot of joy at the best and worst of times. Just sad to see how few of us our left from the threads beginnings.

Elija2

I got nostalgic and went back and checked the early days of the thread. Still hope at some point some of the early GAF-Grumps picks finally made it, but we can always be proud we made Punch-Out Wii happen.

Seriously though, i've been going through backlog episodes late at night, and man, its had its ups and downs, but i still enjoy Game Grumps, and i wouldn't trade all the time i've spend watching it or anything. Its brought me a hell of a lot of joy at the best and worst of times. Just sad to see how few of us our left from the threads beginnings.

I have a feeling that they'll be going through every bad Sonic game so they might actually play that copy of Sonic Heroes (or one of the dozens of other copies that I'm sure they were sent).

TimmiT

The Castlevania/Bloodstained dev IGA apparently has a Mario Maker account, and in this episode of Grumps they're playing a couple of his levels!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qh78TVOKjgc

Seeing Iga's Mario Maker levels has made does give me hope for Bloodstained being good. They're pretty well designed and have some very clever mechanics.

Also, that's a good selection of games for Halloween. I've wanted to check out Deadly Creatures anyway.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
I wonder how much SOMA they'll play through. How long is the game? Assuming they do a 30-40 minute episode a day for a week they'll do about 4 hours of it. Well, depending on how much playing around they do. And that's really all I can ask of Barry and Ross in a first person game where you can interact with pretty much everything. But they may have just done 36 minutes today just because of the screwing up. So who knows.

Top Bottom