• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Mario Maker |OT| Miyamoto Simulator 2015

Model 500

I present to you guys The Mario Trials 3

FDBB-0000-008F-B56E

To all you bastards who cheesed through the previous Mario Trials, you will love what i have here :)

this is what happens when you guys unlock evil naar. I was content on being nice and innocent, but no, you didnt want that.

I still rate this 3/5 in difficulty. the next in the series is where i plan to have things get hard

also would love to watch someone play this level. so let me know if anyone is streaming today so i can watch their play

Naar, careful what you wish for :D Here's a video of my playthrough for fun & feedback:

https://youtu.be/bcZRMLlMJt0

Model 500

After the feedback received (BIG THANK YOU to Koopa Kid and J-Fr for their spot-on reviews) I´ve remade Dry Bones' Disposal Center 1 totally from scratch. The level focuses on the same mechanics (Dry Bones and moving walls) but is totally different. I made the level in about 3 hours (plus 1 hour of planning), then spent around 3 more hours polishing it. These are the main differences:
  • Toned down difficulty A LOT.
  • Removed all situations where instant death was possible.
  • Total overhaul of the moving walls sections, making them easier, faster to get through and mixing the main mechanics better.
  • Used yellow bridges for the platforms in the moving walls sections so they stand up more and the path to follow is clearer.
  • Used coins extensively to mark the path.
  • Less Dry Bones used, placed in more accessible locations and no bones will come from offscreen.
  • Implemented a cool password system (big thanks to Reddit user genotaru). This allows for 2 checkpoints in the level in a much user-friendly way.
  • The whole layout is clearer and less confusing.
  • Mechanics are introduced and expanded in a much better way.

I´m pretty happy with the result and I really think the level has improved a lot, so please, play it and comment:

Dry Bones´ Disposal Center 1.1
CCC0-0000-007D-5C55
WVW69ib-yEAwSb7nrz

Hope you guys enjoy it :)

Hi Jon, here's my video playthrough of your level for feedback, hope you like watching it, thanks for sharing:

https://youtu.be/ubRV-0XBhdY

EDIT: Ok, "exploratory" was not the right word to use, but I hope you get my point :D

correojon

New course!
Return to Dinosaur Land 3: Spiny´s Underground Garden
3BCC-0000-0096-8023
WVW69idlxXE8O7zFfY

Mario has reached the Vanilla Dome only to discover that it has been turned into an underground greenhouse. There, Munchers are being grown as part of a terrible plan to terraform Dinosaur Land (seriously, Bowser, this scheme makes no sense at all!). Mario must cross this dangerous garden, but he must face the fierce Spiny guards to do so... Mario, spinjump to victory!

I made this level almost a week ago, but I´ve let it sleep to polish it and balance difficulty, as the penalty is indivisible of the challenges. The level is focused on spin jumping on Spinies, it starts with some simple layouts with static Spinies and grows from there, ending with moving Spinies with obstacles and vines. I think the mechanic progression is good and trains the player for the coming challenges.

There is a cool secret: a room where you can walk to a Spiny and give him a name and some background info in a Miiverse post for everyone to see. Don´t be late, there are limited Spinies!
WVW69idl3D8ioju3Jm

I'm more than happy to keep critiquing others' bodies of work indefinitely. Just keep sending requests my way with a code and I'll give you as detailed and constructive of an opinion as I can.

Please take a look at my work (see code above). For the Dry Bone´s Disposal Center levels, just play levels 1.1 and 2.1, I´m going to delete the rest. Cool initiative!

I made a sequel to Mario Mario: Ace Attorney!

Justice for Goomba
7366-0000-0097-8E6A

This time our Ace Attorney will defend a Goomba accused of murder. It will not be an easy task as prosecutor Bowser has a decisive witness. Enjoy!

Schlomo

New course!
3BCC-0000-0096-8023

I already played it yesterday evening (not sure if it was the final version). Really fun level! I didn't find the secret room though, gonna have to play it again.

For the Dry Bone´s Disposal Center levels, just play levels 1.1 and 1.2, I´m going to delete the rest. Cool initiative!

I also played (and despaired at) your Dry Bone's Disposal Center levels. Great ideas all around, just a bit too hard. Glad to see you went back and re-made them!

Also taking this opportunity to post some of my levels again:

MARIOWOOD
(9571-0000-008F-EE78)

WVW69idH0hUsU8ESIs

After a series of commercial flops, our washed-up hero travels to the huge sign once erected in his honor, which has now fallen into disrepair. Will this be his last journey? Is there no more room for old school heroes in this world?

One Minute in Heaven
(5ED1-0000-006C-9133)

WVW69ibFm1gh7dgnnH

A 60 second speed run across some airships. I also put in some secret short-cuts. If you find them all, you can clear it much faster. My record is 21 seconds.

Treasure of the 99 Dead Pirates
(7274-0000-0042-C6D7)

WVW69iZLBJEEMthNxR

Can you get back all 99 coins from the pirates who killed your father?
Still the creation I'm most proud of. There are three different areas that can be explored without any backtracking.

Let me know what you think and I'll make sure to give your levels a try as well!

Haganeren

I played sewer city. It was good. At first I did not catch on about being small to entee so I just went around in circles. After I figured that out it was pretty simple. I would say you should put an arrow pointing to that small hole as I imagine a lot of people missed it. The other piece of advice I have is to use a pipe to regenerate the star. I didnt make ut down that path the first time. I was stacked with enough power ups for it not to matter but just a thought. Starred

As for your first level, I kept getting sent back to the beginning and couldn't figure out where to go. Combined with what felt like enemy spam at times, I just didn't want to continue.

Ok, really thanks a lot.

Now i know what's wrong ! The "normal" way to finish the level is taking a spring from the goomba bed in order to use it at that place between the mushroom fall and the goomba fall (it's why you return at the beginning acually) but it's way too obscure and i fear nobody ever did that based on where people die.

I need to put out the spring in display and make an arrow for the "normal way". The "hidden way" was meant to remain hidden though ah ah. (the secret passage for when you're little which permits to go to a lot of another place) It's good some people found it. Good idea for the star though, even if it's honestly a pain to go back having the "secret path" once you have lost it so i didn't though people would try to go back to it.

I couldn't figured that out without you guys, thanks again ! I may make a little less pipe spawning goombas if it's too annoying. (I wanted this to be my main mechanics as it go well with the idea of a sewer but to be honest, it's not as fun as i hoped)

..... But i still wonder if i can edit my level already uploaded and keep my stars/comments on it ? Is that possible ?

I enjoyed it. I found it to be pretty challenging. There are good ideas here (the P-switch to Bob-omb puzzle, buzzsaw chase, room full of active Bob-ombs). There seemed to be a lack of powerups as I only found two mushrooms early on and none later which made the level kinda unforgiving. Maybe I didn't explore enough though.

Played your mechanical giant level. It was fun! The part with the buzz saws and conveyor belts was a little tough, but overall I loved the set pieces (like the Bob-ombs). Very nice. Star.

Cool if that one works better ! Hum, normally there is a mushroom after the buzzsaw chase (and jumping on bullet canon) but yeah, maybe having one between the bob omb and the chase would be better.

I wonder if the fact i create more difficult level that i meant is because on my two levels, i put Mario on very restricted area, sometime with one specific way to complete the task which is more difficult than a more open aired stage when you don't know the level... Maybe.

In any case, thanks for the feedback and the kind words !

KooopaKid

Banned
I love when gameplay ideas and the puzzle design dictates the theme and look of the level, it works best for me, rather than the other way around. The level I had in mind for Planet 1-8 looks totally different now than before the puzzles were in place. Seems EAD is working like this too (Basic and crude looking prototype, then trying to come up with a look that suits the gameplay mechanics).

Can't wait to share 1-8 as it has an original boss fight and 3 unseen puzzles in SMM (From what I saw in SMM so far).

Reposting my last two levels which had a good reception so far :

Planet 1-6:
Code: 3F6C-0000-0092-9BA3
lz0tQpq.jpg

Planet 1-5:
Code: 8A8B-0000-0084-433A
U4q2CBf.jpg

ZombAid82

Had to play this one again because I couldn't remember much about it. The problem you've got are a couple of P switches are from question blocks, and if you run everywhere it's quite easy to pick up and throw unintentionally into the abyss, forcing a restart. The second issue is the boss fight. Whilst a neat idea, you've made the level too open so that you can just jump up a few times and exit out of the door. Taking a hit or two in the process isn't a problem either as you've placed 3 fire flowers on the way to the exit! Last of all, I'd question the usefulness of having a section with Bob-ombs to explode spinning blocks beneath you in SMW, as you can just as easily spin jump your way through them.

The first level was pretty solid, felt deceptively open although it runs into the issue a lot of airship levels do where the bottom/top get cut off due to the movement.

For the second level, I didn't like how tight the area with the bom-ombs was... and I didn't get to finish the level as this level also manged to hard lock my Wii U! Ended up running past the three Bowser Jrs. at one point, grabbed a P switch to turn some coins into blocks and and ka-chunk. Weird. D:

Thank you so much guys, gonnna considerate your opinions, and Change where it's due^^

BTW in about 10 hours(after Work :) i'm gonna play the shit out of your level's, so prepare to see you percentage fall :)

R00bot

New level, mostly puzzle based. Get the Yoshi and utilize him to advance. Not too hard as most things won't kill you, only a few areas where you might die.

90BA-0000-0097-9FFD

WVW69idrN24AdsjCTZ

Double

I love when gameplay ideas and the puzzle design dictates the theme and look of the level, it works best for me, rather than the other way around. The level I had in mind for Planet 1-8 looks totally different now than before the puzzles were in place. Seems EAD is working like this too (Basic and crude looking prototype, then trying to come up with a look that suits the gameplay mechanics).

Can't wait to share 1-8 as it has an original boss fight and 3 unseen puzzles in SMM (From what I saw in SMM so far).

Reposting my last two levels which had a good reception so far :
Will there be a 1-7 too, I wonder? :D

correojon

Hi Jon, here's my video playthrough of your level for feedback, hope you like watching it, thanks for sharing:

https://youtu.be/ubRV-0XBhdY

EDIT: Ok, "exploratory" was not the right word to use, but I hope you get my point :D
I just watched it, thanks a lot for the video. I like a lot this concept of stage but it seems everyone likes to play more "fast paced-less exploratory" stages, I can imagine many people skipping it after a few deaths in 100 Mario mode. I guess this concept doesn´t suit the general public´s taste or the game modes present in SMM. Anyway, it´s really helped me a lot watching someone else play it to detect some flaws in the design, thanks again!

Oh BTW, those powerups trapped in stone blocks were passwords and the bizarre room right at the beginning was the place to input them so you couls warp to other parts of the level. But from what I´ve seen it´s difficult to explain such system during gameplay, no one seems to be getting the message :(

I already played it yesterday evening (not sure if it was the final version). Really fun level! I didn't find the secret room though, gonna have to play it again.
Thanks! After making so many slow paced or puzzle based levels I wanted to make a more traditional platforming one which required some skill, glad you liked it!

I also played (and despaired at) your Dry Bone's Disposal Center levels. Great ideas all around, just a bit too hard. Glad to see you went back and re-made them!
Yeah, just what I was talking just above with Model 500, I think the slow pacing and length of the level make it easy to loose interest in it. It´s really not that hard if you proceed with care and be patiente, but that requires a radical change of mind from the other 99.999% of SMM levels (and it´s not as "instantly" fun).

Also taking this opportunity to post some of my levels again:

MARIOWOOD
(9571-0000-008F-EE78)

WVW69idH0hUsU8ESIs

After a series of commercial flops, our washed-up hero travels to the huge sign once erected in his honor, which has now fallen into disrepair. Will this be his last journey? Is there no more room for old school heroes in this world?

One Minute in Heaven
(5ED1-0000-006C-9133)

WVW69ibFm1gh7dgnnH

A 60 second speed run across some airships. I also put in some secret short-cuts. If you find them all, you can clear it much faster. My record is 21 seconds.

Treasure of the 99 Dead Pirates
(7274-0000-0042-C6D7)

WVW69iZLBJEEMthNxR

Can you get back all 99 coins from the pirates who killed your father?
Still the creation I'm most proud of. There are three different areas that can be explored without any backtracking.

Let me know what you think and I'll make sure to give your levels a try as well!

I´ll try them when I´m home, they look funny!

Double

New course!
3BCC-0000-0096-8023
WVW69idlxXE8O7zFfY

Mario has reached the Vanilla Dome only to discover that it has been turned into an underground greenhouse. There, Munchers are being grown as part of a terrible plan to terraform Dinosaur Land (seriously, Bowser, this scheme makes no sense at all!). Mario must cross this dangerous garden, but he must face the fierce Spiny guards to do so... Mario, spinjump to victory!
Awesome level, really can't think of anything to criticise, well done! Also lol@the zoo, that one caught me off guard as I didn't read your whole description. I already named my Spiny <:)

Model 500

I just watched it, thanks a lot for the video. I like a lot this concept of stage but it seems everyone likes to play more "fast paced-less exploratory" stages, I can imagine many people skipping it after a few deaths in 100 Mario mode. I guess this concept doesn´t suit the general public´s taste or the game modes present in SMM. Anyway, it´s really helped me a lot watching someone else play it to detect some flaws in the design, thanks again!

There's room for all kinds of levels imo, fast based and challenging action levels are just my personal preference. Glad you found the playthrough useful, I would do so much more of these, but it takes quite a bit of time to import, edit, export, upload. Streaming would be way better, but I don't have a capture card or whatever it is that you need for it.

Oh BTW, those powerups trapped in stone blocks were passwords and the bizarre room right at the beginning was the place to input them so you couls warp to other parts of the level. But from what I´ve seen it´s difficult to explain such system during gameplay, no one seems to be getting the message :(

Yeah, I wasn't that interested in figuring out what was going on there. Personally, I don't think the level needed any warp points. It was pretty easy going all the way to the end.

jarosh

Just played:

McNum
BOO'S INVERTED HAUNT
DBF8-0000-0042-2E51

Excellent level. Streamlined execution of a great idea. And a clever choice of level elements that underline the illusion.

Neki
ROSALINA AND THE FLOATING TOWERS
BBB0-0000-0074-53B1

I do like the general idea and layout of the floating towers. But the platforming challenges and overall level design seemed too erratic and sometimes arbitrary to me. Despite not being super hard overall, enemy and obstacle placement also felt unfair at times. And there are simply too many different types of enemies and obstacles throughout the course, which makes the level feel a bit unfocused.

I have played this one a while ago but I don't think I ever brought it up here:

Jocchan
DON'T TRUST THE COINS
453F-0000-004C-10A9

Again, this is a simple concept, but executed extremely well. Made me laugh quite a few times, usually whenever I screwed up, realizing how much readjusting my brain truly needed. None of which was the level's fault, which communicates its idea adeptly, without ever resorting to unfair tactics or overt telegraphing.

And I don't think this guy is a gaffer, but I wanted to give a shoutout again to user Gilder/Dimentios' levels. Try these 3:

Aerial Port (F60F-0000-0012-941E)
Heaven's Keep (887A-0000-007F-C5A0)
Golden Fortress (0EE5-0000-0034-5018)

All with a wonderful Nintendo like design. Really, some of the best courses I've played.

edit: AHA! Dimentios is a gaffer after all... cool! http://www.neogaf.com/forum/member.php?u=447991

..... But i still wonder if i can edit my level already uploaded and keep my stars/comments on it ? Is that possible ?

You can't edit uploaded levels, because imagine what people would do...get a lot of people to play the level, have it rated easy, then edit it to make it super difficult so that people in easy 100 Mario Challenge will suffer.

You have to delete the level and re-upload it. This loses all the comments, stats etc., but you still keep your overall star count for unlocking purposes.

Model 500

B46D-0000-008F-3228

Yo Timetokill, played one of your Title Fight! iterations and liked it, here's my playthrough video as a form of feedback (my phones battery died in the midst of one round so there's a small interruption somewhere):

https://youtu.be/t0wcI2zVwHQ

EDIT: I thought there was something wrong with the length of the video, but no, I did play this stage for over an hour until I finished it, that's what I call sparring :D

Lady Siara (6D34-0000-003F-420E): Several Hammer Bros are spread over the level, which makes it too difficult for a 1-1. Running is required in certain parts and I saw some things that made no sense, like a Spiny trapped between some blocks and only accesible from above (which would kill the player), but in a place where it was easy to see, so I really couldn´t understand the purpose of it, it felt really out of place.

I don't recall this part. Can you give me some more detail if you remember?

Lady Siara - I think Hammer Bros are too tricky in this game for an early level, and in a bonus room there's not much room to manuver against one. Giving a fire flower would make these encounters much easier.

There was a fire flower at the section with the stairs-esque section before the second hammer bro.

Common criticisms seem to be that hammer bros were a poor choice for a 1-1 level and I tend to agree now. Live and learn! Will have to give a run through of the winners of each section when group 4 finishes up.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
One week ago, I posted the first level of my own Mario adventure, New Super Mario Bros. M. Now, the adventure continues, with my own take on 1-2. Remember, the main challenge in every level is to get the 4 + 1 1Ups in the level. One of them is hidden very well, so it'll take more time to get it. Without further words...

Name 1-2: Down into Flora's caves
ID 2296-0000-0098-08AA
Brief description It seems you can't go further on the garden...time to go into the caves. Watch out for multiple ways and secrets.
Sub-challenge 1 - Beat the level in less than 30 seconds
Sub-challenge 2 - It looks like some Bowser's henchmen stole a Yoshi! Free it and get it. Don't forget: the level contains a clue about what to do in order to free it and eliminate the enemies

The other NSMBM levels so far

Name - 1-1:Flora garden's plain
ID: D9EC-0000-0082-50A0
Brief description: A new Mario adventure begins! Flowers surely embellish the view quite well, but never forget to be careful, especially for possible secrets hiding even where you wouldn't expect them.
Main challenge (for all NSMBM levels) - Find the 4 1 Ups + the hidden 1 Up
Sub-challenge 1 - Beat the level in less than 25 seconds
Sub-challenge 2 - Beat the level in less than 20 seconds

I should be able to play and give feedbacks for the last group's 1-1s between today and tomorrow.

Double

Played through your stages after reading your interesting conversation with B_Bech. I love it. Very creative (I didn't even know that P-switches stop conveyor belts for example and the boo riding had me amazed too), challenging with a very good feel of reward for solving specific routes / tasks (like getting fire flowers which will then help take another special route), just great level design. Yes they are somewhat trial and error at the beginning (especially your spring and castle stage), but once they click it's real fun.

I only had serious problems with the ghost house boss so far since
I can't reach back to the top WITH the shoe to activate the p-switch (at least after I cleared the cannons which provided a jump-off), and when you then go down again to make it past the coins and happen to not have a powerup / the box anymore, you are easily confronted with tons of shoe-goombas blocking your way, addet to the 2 winged ghosts.
Will try again though.

Your stages would definitely profit greatly by a more sophisticated design (well, any, actually) for this game by Nintendo like special coins. It's a shame.

I hope you keep these great stages coming though and for more guys to try them out! They're awesome!

Damn, I just feel that I am not good enough of a 2D Mario player to make great levels.
Whenever I make something remotely tricky I can hardly beat it myself :-/

Really impressed by the amazing stuff players have been pumping out so far.

Is this your course? Because I can make it to about a block from the Underground Zone Warp Pipe and I can't figure out if I'm just not skilled enough or I'm missing something. And it's really bothering me. I just played this course for 5 hours straight. I feel like I can sleepwalk the first section and most of the second. But I cannot get past it.

Are you talking about the pipe in the center of the room, next to the burning heart?

1 Clear. 1762 Attempts. 0.05% Clear Rate. danmaku (B75F-0000-0080-7CB6)

If so and depending on how you are going about it the timing can be very deceiving. You want to be behind the giant fire wheel, not ahead of it. And if you miss either one of the running jumps to the falling platforms you are dead.

Schlomo

Damn, I just feel that I am not good enough of a 2D Mario player to make great levels.
Whenever I make something remotely tricky I can hardly beat it myself :-/

There's demand for easy levels too, so don't let that keep you from building something. Also remember that your levels will always feel easier to you than to others.

Are you talking about the pipe in the center of the room, next to the burning heart?

1 Clear. 1762 Attempts. 0.05% Clear Rate. danmaku (B75F-0000-0080-7CB6)

If so and depending on how you are going about it the timing can be very deceiving. You want to be behind the giant fire wheel, not ahead of it. And if you miss either one of the running jumps to the falling platforms you are dead.

Yep, that's it. I didn't realize that was a heart.

Edit: And I did it. I was trying to go ahead of the fire bar and I was so close to the pipe I thought that was how I did it. My blood pressure and I thank you. I think that I am responsible for at least 800 of the new attempts though.

KooopaKid

Banned
Will there be a 1-7 too, I wonder? :D

Of course! I got an idea but I'm not sure if it's good or if it's just going to be a mess.

New course!
3BCC-0000-0096-8023
WVW69idlxXE8O7zFfY

I made this level almost a week ago, but I´ve let it sleep to polish it and balance difficulty, as the penalty is indivisible of the challenges. The level is focused on spin jumping on Spinies, it starts with some simple layouts with static Spinies and grows from there, ending with moving Spinies with obstacles and vines. I think the mechanic progression is good and trains the player for the coming challenges.

Very nice! It's the kind of levels with quite technical jumps but it's not punishing when you screw up, and if you screw up it's your fault, nothing is unpredictable and you can retry as much as you want without too much penality. And short enough not to be a chore to reach the point where you died.
The finish reminded me of something ;)

Going through a creative drought at the moment. Can't think of any ideas that excite me. I think "Trouble on the dancefloor" may have been my creative peak :p

Yep, that's it. I didn't realize that was a heart.

Edit: And I did it. I was trying to go ahead of the fire bar and I was so close to the pipe I thought that was how I did it. My blood pressure and I thank you. I think that I am responsible for at least 800 of the new attempts though.

I never doubted you for a moment! Everyone was all HylianHero12 will never pull it off. "Have you seen the training montages?" I reminded them. But their faith and resolve was weak.

Bydobob

I'd be thrilled if anyone could try this level. It's one that I think is very fun to play:

WVW69idtO2E_U_mtED

6028-0000-0087-8EFA

Interesting level, but a bit inconsistent. The first part is easily the most difficult, tapering down to a very gentle finish. I lost count of the amount of times I died at the first saw and the spike/Koopa immediately after. This will make a lot of players quit in frustration. After that the jumps were easier to execute, partly because of the direction change where you could more easily see the jumps ahead of you. The middle part with the hammer throwing Koopa felt like a missed opportunity. I
simply jumped over it and headed straight for the pipe when I'm sure the intention was to free the star. The descent into the Koopa pit was funny but really just a case of holding onto the jump button and sticking close to the wall nearest the pipe.

You could have done a little more visually with the level too. An isolated spike and Koopa against a black background is functional at best. This is one area I've really had to pull my socks up on after seeing so many great looking Gaf levels. I'm still no expert here but I find you can get some good designs by making much more use of the background tiles.

Hope this doesn't sound too harsh. I did get a certain buzz out of executing all the jumps and could see the effort you put into it.

I never doubted you for a moment! Everyone was all HylianHero12 will never pull it off. "Have you seen the training montages?" I reminded them. But their faith and resolve was weak.

I almost never back down from a video game challenge if I think it is possible to complete. Though I was ready for
there to be another section to break me

Haganeren

You can't edit uploaded levels, because imagine what people would do...get a lot of people to play the level, have it rated easy, then edit it to make it super difficult so that people in easy 100 Mario Challenge will suffer.

You have to delete the level and re-upload it. This loses all the comments, stats etc., but you still keep your overall star count for unlocking purposes.

Hum, yeah, kinda sad but i understand... Too bad i guess.

Balance is tough. More than a few people saying my latest level is too easy, which it is, intentionally, but maybe it's too much. My main thinking was that people generally hate water levels and I wanted to show you can do fun stuff in them too. But I guess I went too simple.

I like seeing this kind of comment though, this is the whole reason I made the level, the look of all those hapless goombas packed into the small space, I love it.

iqXXtOE.jpg

I passed Andre from GameXplain sometime last night...#1 in all North America, and #3 worldwide. O_O Man. What do I do with my life now.

andytjm

Neo Member
Alright some GAF stages I played yesterday in my trial with Twitch. The video is now finally uploaded to YouTube. If I played your stages, feel free to check them out ! The video and their associated stages are described as below. Too bad the stream went above 2-3 hours so it got split into two videos by Twitch :p

A lot of stages I wasn't able to complete because of the 15 minute limit. There are also some stages that's just way too hard and beyond my skills. However, most of them are pretty fun and I hope you guys enjoyed watching the stream !

Playing viewers level with !mario Come hang out :) Pt 1
Twitch names:
andytjm - F6D7-0000-0092-6618 (I really like this level !)
Jocchan - 41AC-0000-0094-91CA
Spartacris - 8C80-0000-0091-14B6
Shamrock8r - 6DE2-0000-0089-BB03
granth1974 - 5E3D-0000-0088-008F
Thud - 06F9-0000-0091-EEE7
Kebiinu - 0BBD-0000-0094-9F62
VandalD - 99CE-0000-0094-95E9
MetagameMike - 4FE8-0000-007D-EE78
Gotdatmoney - EBC3-0000-007D-279E

Playing viewers level with !mario Come hang out :) Pt 2
Twitch names:
Ivanzypher - DCB8-0000-003E-4FE5
Malaikatt - C223-0000-007C-888A
Kinggroin - 401A-0000-0086-442D
Acejax - D637-0000-0090-6EBA
Broggiedoge - BB64-0000-008A-CE00
Nobodycouldsaymyoldname - D0E8-0000-0054-F4A2
ciD_Vain - 5B84-0000-0093-355F (Yikes can't even make it past the first area ?)
Naar82 - 8FBD-0000-0091-F0E1 (Naar pls !)

Thanks for playing my level. I am really pleased you enjoyed it.

You're still the only person to complete it though, lol!

-shadow-

Face Fortress - 799A-0000-0098-5A0F

WVW69idu3FcELk2ZZN

A stage I've designed along with a friend of mine. The main screen was entirely designed by me and is meant as a more beginner friendly stage where the concept of a Thwomp is introduced, bridges and Koopa's. The subscreen (and the shortcut added to the main screen) was created by a friend of mine who wanted to see if we could create a level together that flows well into each other. Hope you like it. I'll be working on a completely self designed version of this stage, but for now it is what it is :)

ciD_Vain

Adding two more levels. Finding Nimo :)P) in particular I thought was rather fun and intense. Tower of the Warlocks is the spiritual sequel to my other level "The Cake Is A LIE".

Finding Nimo (05F4-0000-0095-6CC0)

The Tower of the Warlocks (448D-0000-0095-5D8C)
Played The Tower of the Warlocks. It was pretty tricky at first but I quickly realized that once you enter the tower, you can grab the mushroom fly straight through to the magikoopas and kill all of them within three seconds.

Played The Tower of the Warlocks. It was pretty tricky at first but I quickly realized that once you enter the tower, you can grab the mushroom fly straight through to the magikoopas and kill all of them within three seconds.
Haha yeahhh...... There quite a few "bugs" with this level. Ex. it's in your best interest to grab all the mushrooms even if you don't need them, because there's a chance that they'll get turned into enemies or obstacles, BUT if one of them gets turned into a giant Cheep Cheep and that Cheep Cheep gets redirected, there is a chance it'll run right into the Magikoopas and force them to change direction, which means you're screwed if you're not Super Mario. Luckily, this section is just 5 screens long, so it's not too bad as long as it doesn't happen too early during the fight.

It's one of those situations where you hope people'll buy into the concept and play along.

Thanks for playing my level BTW!

Jocchan

Ὁ μεμβερος -ου
Just played:

McNum
BOO'S INVERTED HAUNT
DBF8-0000-0042-2E51

Excellent level. Streamlined execution of a great idea. And a clever choice of level elements that underline the illusion.

Neki
ROSALINA AND THE FLOATING TOWERS
BBB0-0000-0074-53B1

I do like the general idea and layout of the floating towers. But the platforming challenges and overall level design seemed too erratic and sometimes arbitrary to me. Despite not being super hard overall, enemy and obstacle placement also felt unfair at times. And there are simply too many different types of enemies and obstacles throughout the course, which makes the level feel a bit unfocused.

I have played this one a while ago but I don't think I ever brought it up here:

Jocchan
DON'T TRUST THE COINS
453F-0000-004C-10A9

Again, this is a simple concept, but executed extremely well. Made me laugh quite a few times, usually whenever I screwed up, realizing how much readjusting my brain truly needed. None of which was the level's fault, which communicates its idea adeptly, without ever resorting to unfair tactics or overt telegraphing.

And I don't think this guy is a gaffer, but I wanted to give a shoutout again to user Gilder/Dimentios' levels. Try these 3:

Aerial Port (F60F-0000-0012-941E)
Heaven's Keep (887A-0000-007F-C5A0)
Golden Fortress (0EE5-0000-0034-5018)

All with a wonderful Nintendo like design. Really, some of the best courses I've played.

edit: AHA! Dimentios is a gaffer after all... cool! http://www.neogaf.com/forum/member.php?u=447991
Well, thank you!
Readjusting your brain can indeed be quite hard sometimes. Can't tell how many times I've fallen into traps I had set up myself while testing this level...
Also, you got me interested in trying out these other levels, especially Dimentios's.

Anyone else interested in having their body of work critiqued? I'm in an analytical/helpful mood.
I am :)

Anyone else interested in having their body of work critiqued? I'm in an analytical/helpful mood.

I'd love to read your take on one of my latest levels: Down to Robotown (5DC3-0000-008A-2A5B).

I'm happy with it for the most part, but a second opinion would be really appreciated :)

Yo Timetokill, played one of your Title Fight! iterations and liked it, here's my playthrough video as a form of feedback (my phones battery died in the midst of one round so there's a small interruption somewhere):

https://youtu.be/t0wcI2zVwHQ

EDIT: I thought there was something wrong with the length of the video, but no, I did play this stage for over an hour until I finished it, that's what I call sparring :D

Wow!! Thanks dude :D
I watched for a couple minutes, I can't wait to watch the whole thing when I get back tonight. I'm honored that you put so much time into it :D I didn't know you could record the game and your feedback on your phone in such decent quality! That's pretty sweet.

Top Bottom