• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

HEY! C'MON C'MON: It's the Giga Powered Neo Geo Appreciation Thread

Ban Puncher

I got some AES games for my birthday.

And now my AES won't boot any games.

UC0P3wA.gif

Ban Puncher

Power on console with game in it - nothing 99% of the time, 1% garbled screen.

Power on console with no game - Blue Screen (Hardware Clean Bill of Health)

Games boot fine on my unmodded AES and are properly cleaned.

I'm stumped for now.

NGCD get some flack but it's a fantastic system. There are some games you just can't get on AES/MVS and the soundtrack upgrades on some of them are amazing.

If load times are really a deterrence , know that the older games are much faster to load than newer ones, Last Blade 2 is really the only game in my mind that gets annoying with loads, and you can also get a CDZ.

Another cool thing about the CD games are the art and manuals containing movelists etc which you obv wont get with MVS unless you go kit route (or at least Mini Marquee/Move strips)

Bottom line if you want to experience everything across the neo you'd need all 3 systems AES/MVS/CD, and having all three options will save you some cash due to the differences in prices on some games.

The Neo will always hold a place in my heart and I've built up a nice set of games across the systems over the years, I'm glad people still have interest in it.

woodypop

And here are my new additions.

5eYcnAZ.jpg
I've been dabbling in SvC: Chaos recently. It's an interesting curiosity, especially seeing the interpretations/sprites of the Capcom characters.

NGCD get some flack but it's a fantastic system. There are some games you just can't get on AES/MVS and the soundtrack upgrades on some of them are amazing.

If load times are really a deterrence , know that the older games are much faster to load than newer ones, Last Blade 2 is really the only game in my mind that gets annoying with loads, and you can also get a CDZ.

Another cool thing about the CD games are the art and manuals containing movelists etc which you obv wont get with MVS unless you go kit route (or at least Mini Marquee/Move strips)

Bottom line if you want to experience everything across the neo you'd need all 3 systems AES/MVS/CD, and having all three options will save you some cash due to the differences in prices on some games.

The Neo will always hold a place in my heart and I've built up a nice set of games across the systems over the years, I'm glad people still have interest in it.
I quite like the NGCD(Z). It's an affordable (at least in comparison) route to playing Neo Geo games on Neo Geo hardware. I honestly don't mind the load times myself, as I'm often playing alone anyway.

I'm pretty much resigned to the fact that, short of some divine miracle, I'll never get into the AES, as it's prohibitively expensive. So I'll just stick to MVS and NGCD to get my Neo Geo fixes.

Rimshot

Edit: Removing my old post.

New post: If you're new to this whole scene, other than remembering playing the AES at a friends house when smaller, what is the right thing to buy? The AES, the MVS, any consolized MVS? There seems to be so much different kinds out there, and I don't know what to get or where to get it (that ships to europe as well without the shipping being more expensive than the thing heh).

Rimshot

Well I was hoping of not having to put 500 or 600 USD on it, but at the same time I want something with component out at least so I'm guessing I'm screwed :)

Mzo

The good AES games will average around that a piece. Consolized MVS is much cheaper (though MVS is also getting pricey these days.) Probably that and a multi-cart is the way to go unless your baller status is confirmed.

Rimshot

I was referring to the console/arcade hardware mostly, and not the gme prices but yeah MVS game prices seem a lot cheaper than AES.

Bar81

Do you have any email address to them? The bot check in their contact us form seems to be broken, as I'm not able to send through the mail even though I write the numbers it shows there.

PM me your email and I'll get you in touch.

Huh.. so a friend just bought me Rage of the Dragons MVS for $60.. thing is he's out of town so I have to wait to find out if it's bootleg or not. I'm taking a risk, but hey worth a shot.

s8QJTV0m.jpg

2vQJxeom.jpg

Beyond excited to receive this incredible, amazing game today. Wow. Really feels like a true Neo Geo AES release. A huge thank you to Razoola and Jeff for a stellar job. I'm so impressed.

Reverend

Neo Member
Posted this in the pickup thread as well, but here it is:

63lrPCB.jpg

UDg3DFS.jpg

Not pictures are King of Monsters, Neo Turf Masters, Bust-A-Move, and a 16-in-1 cart. KOF 98, Street Hoop and Baseball Stars 2 are on the way.

Just managed to pick the locks on the marquee, and now I need a new marquee controller board and mini marquees. This is going to be expensive.

Ogodei

The only thing i played off of this is Magician Lord, off of Wii VC.

That game redefined "intense," though had some memorable music and very bizarre, elaborate enemy designs.

Peltz

Love metal Slug 3, but Damn if that last stage isn't impossible and fucking long!

The vertical shmup portion is dope, but yea, inside the mothership is a bit of a slog/drag on an otherwise great game.

That game redefined "intense," though had some memorable music and very bizarre, elaborate enemy designs.

You're missing on a very cool arcadey library.

Celine

Magician Lord is, with Last Resort and Sengoku 2, one of the best game of the first wave.

IrishNinja

damn. im waiting on that...i forget the name, its supposed to be some prototype thing with cycle-accurate emulation or somesuch? anyway, really hoping it works out, i need a solid MAME/MVS emulator thing for my setup.

^props on Metal Slug 3!

Posted this in the pickup thread as well, but here it is:

goddamn, late on this but i hope you had a party that night man

You're missing on a very cool arcadey library.

for real - coin-ops and some emulation aside, the most ive experienced is uh, other console collection discs and the neo geo x gold, neither of which are ideal. it looks like such a fantastic library to dive into, as an arcade gameplay fan.

Peltz

for real - coin-ops and some emulation aside, the most ive experienced is uh, other console collection discs and the neo geo x gold, neither of which are ideal. it looks like such a fantastic library to dive into, as an arcade gameplay fan.

It's also just worth it if you have a love of 16 bit graphics. It home to the best 16-bit artwork in the industry.

IrishNinja

no doubt - spritework is amazing, but there was a great thread here years ago about backgrounds and the SNK ones were hands-down the finest. just gorgeous stuff overall. cannot wait to see that in RGB goodness.

IrishNinja

that's it, yeah! goddamn. that Last Blade 2 one looks like the finale of Ninja Scroll...just beautiful. i adore that era, just peak 2D art, so yeah, so looking forward to getting into it one day, especially now having a proper setup for it.

Top Bottom