• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Videogame facts that blow your mind (SuperMarioBros. SHOCKING SECRET INSIDE p #70)

According to Miyamoto they were called Kuribo because one of the programmers thought they looked like chestnuts. However, according to Takashi Tezuka they are mushrooms.
Sounds to me like Kuribo is a Mushroom kingdom slur to de-mushroomise certain citizens of the realm. No wonder they aligned themselves with the koopas. Those peeps seem to get along just fine, and don't partake in apartheid. Deepest lore.

Bumpers

It's not a fact unfortunatly, but I do not know of the best place to post this. Been playing Street Fighter EX3 recently, wouldn't recommend it to be honest. It seems to have been noticed by others on the internet (and probably in this thread), but bizzaly Mr T is in the background of the boss stage.

d7bQ8i2.jpg

Playing it on an emulator for better quality, which for some reason doesn't render Nanase's skirt.

Tizoc

It's not a fact unfortunatly, but I do not know of the best place to post this. Been playing Street Fighter EX3 recently, wouldn't recommend it to be honest. It seems to have been noticed by others on the internet (and probably in this thread), but bizzaly Mr T is in the background of the boss stage.

d7bQ8i2.jpg

Playing it on an emulator for better quality, which for some reason doesn't render Nanase's skirt.

Holy shit I never noticed that!
I really like the EX series but that Mr. T portrait is something I never knew before, wow.

Kain

d7bQ8i2.jpg

What the fuck

Tizoc

^So true!
Can you believe that very few people even want Mr. T to voice Barret?

What the fuck

My guess is that it was data they forgot to remove, sorta like how Sonic & SEGA All-Stars Racing on Wii had a placeholder image in one of the stages which they forgot to remove.

Kain

^So true!
Can you believe that very few people even want Mr. T to voice Barret?

My guess is that it was data they forgot to remove, sorta like how Sonic & SEGA All-Stars Racing on Wii had a placeholder image in one of the stages which they forgot to remove.

I'm more pissed off at myself because I played the shit out of the game back on its day and I hadn't find out ><

Man I hope SFV has some little things like that. I think in the London stage there was some ice powers kind of guy in a banner or something, right?

Tizoc

Man I hope SFV has some little things like that. I think in the London stage there was some ice powers kind of guy in a banner or something, right?

As is the character that can be seen in that particular banner may be a DLC character.
So far these are the remaining characters expected to be revealed
2 Newcomers- Laura (likely from Brazil) and Zen
3 returning characters- Alex, Urien and Karin

Cheerilee

Or it could be where they got the English localization name from, since that is different from the original Japanese name. They could have as easily called them "Chestnots" or some awful pun to match.

"Goomba" is/was a derogatory slur for Italian-Americans, particularly ones connected to the Mafia.

That's probably what Nintendo of America was thinking, considering that Mario and Luigi are Italian-American stereotypes.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
Wow that is stupid like Abed said.

9Gag? Really?
Besides. Many Mario games have established that he and Mario live in a house. Usually the RPG series' of games but still, they have a home. I mean Mario has to have an address for Peach to send her letters to when she needs help. Which is every day.

d7bQ8i2.jpg

Wow... Did not know about this one

Epyx showed it color handheld console to both Nintendo and Sega before selling it to Atari, who published it as the Atari Lynx.

From this awesome Wired article on Hiroshi Yamauch. It was written by Henk Rogers, who brought Nintendo the Tetris license, and published two years ago. Although linguistically kinda weak, it's an awesome read. Describes Rogers as the link between Yamauchi and outside parties during the the 1980s and 1990s. Somehow I feel like I had already read that first part about that Go game, but the rest was completely new to me. Like Epyx showing their handheld to Yamauchi and him rejecting it due to "price-point and battery life". Or how Rogers mediated between Nintendo and Sony during the Nintendo PlayStation chaos. And also personal tidbits about Yamauchi as a person and about his last years.

Tizoc

So this isn't exactly something that's mind blowing but I felt like bringing it up here
So in Super Mario 64, you damage Bowser during his boss fights by grabbing his tail and throwing him.
Could it be inspired by Goku vs. Giran from the DB manga?
iwCoDnt.jpg

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
So this isn't exactly something that's mind blowing but I felt like bringing it up here
So in Super Mario 64, you damage Bowser during his boss fights by grabbing his tail and throwing him.
Could it be inspired by Goku vs. Giran from the DB manga?
iwCoDnt.jpg

Goku later does it against Freeza too, although I think only in the anime...

Apparently it's based on a popular Japanese wrestling move?

A few weeks ago my dumb ass realized that Goomba was a play on the word "goombah". I have no idea how I went so long without catching this.

Goombah
an associate or accomplice, especially a senior member of a criminal gang.

Rich!

Harro

I heard that in a game, the voice actors team is named "the phantom menace" but I can't remember.
Or maybe it's only in the french version?

Top Bottom