• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sega CD/Mega CD Appreciation Thread of Welcome to the Next Level

Tigerfog

The pinnacle of sensibility. I completely agree. On the other hand, as discussed in the various other Silver Star threads, the MCD and SS/PS versions of the first game are so different that they really feel like separate stories and it's possible to enjoy both as very different experiences. By contrast, the MCD Eternal Blue is fathoms beyond the shoddy remake, which falls short of the SS/PS Silver Star remake in so many ways as well, and which brings very little new to the table.

I agree, Lunar Silver Star is different enough it's a different experience compared to the Complete releases. The game balance was also very different... I think Luna's Cascade power up buff can be stacked over and over again (then again it's been a while, maybe I'm wrong).
Still, the redbook audio of that version is really unique. Makes me want to own that version as it's a "sega cd" only experience that all the subsequent ports can't offer.

One thing that annoys me about some of the earlier releases on Sega CD is the fact that you can only save your game using the internal memory... even if I have a memory cartridge, that won't do for those games.
Some of them won't even let me past an error screen if my internal memory's battery's dead... like Sonic CD (japanese version) unfortunately.
I read online that the CD2016 battery is the way to go since it's rechargeable, but the replacement process requires soldering skills and/or hot glue. It sounds kind of complicated, but I'll need to do it one day if I want to play Sonic CD.

Maou

Internal memory reminds me: that's certainly another fairly unique aspect of the MCD. Of the other mainline consoles, I think only Saturn and maybe PCE CD (I forget) had that, since Sony jumped straight to memory cards. You can see surprising variance in companies' technological prowess at the time through the internal memory usage. Lunar~Eternal Blue had the same number of save slots available as Lunar~The Silver Star, yet the latter takes up a gigantic amount of memory, to the point that you need the RAM cart if you intend to keep your files while playing other games. Sonic CD reminds me of some of the lazy approaches you later see in DS games and their flash memory: only one save possible at a time, with no ability to restart the entire experience (not just going back to the first level, but sealing off various unlocked things) without total erasure.

Tigerfog

So Game Arts got better with memory management from Silver Star to Eternal Blue huh?
The problem with those internal memory batteries is that if you don't keep your console plugged in all the time, they eventually deplete and you lost all your saves.
It happened to me when I unplugged my Sega Saturn for a few months and when I turned it on again, it asked me the date... and gone were my saves of Shining the Holy Ark. Urgh.

In the case of my Sega CD though, it seems the battery's completely kaput and won't even recharge at all... I can't even format it from the BIOS. It says there's an error or something.

Speaking of games that require too much memory, I believe Shining Force CD is one of those games that, unless you have a backup cart for saves, you cannot access the final portion of the game. Crazy!

cj_iwakura

I'd argue that Lunar: Silver Star Story Complete on PS1 is better than the Sega CD version, but Lunar: Eternal Blue on the Sega CD is better than Lunar: Eternal Blue Complete on PS1.

Eh, the remake is too easy. They ripped the fangs out of TSS. Making do the trial solo in TSS is brutal, not to mention Luna staying behind. You really feel like you're leaving your life behind in the original.

Conversely I think EBC VS EB are very similar.

Maou

Ah, the TSS vs. SSS debate over the decades has revealed a pretty solid stack of pluses and minuses to both versions, but TSS is still such a stand-out for this thread because such a large number of MCD owners played it and because of its music and story at the time. It's one of the few RPGs at the time with a Phantasy Star-quality scenario--stack it up against FFIV or DQV and it's at a very different place narratively.

For me the MCD Eternal Blue always wins because of the "uncanny valley" effect: unlike TSS into SSS, the remake is sooo very similar that its off-model cinema art and the small but meaningful list of missing scenes from MCD stand out to the point that I cannot ignore them.

For the purposes of the MCD Appreciation Thread, I respect TSS even while finding enough things I like about SSS to make me play the remake more, but I'll always return to my creaky MCD to play Eternal Blue.

cj_iwakura

Ah, the TSS vs. SSS debate over the decades has revealed a pretty solid stack of pluses and minuses to both versions, but TSS is still such a stand-out for this thread because such a large number of MCD owners played it and because of its music and story at the time. It's one of the few RPGs at the time with a Phantasy Star-quality scenario--stack it up against FFIV or DQV and it's at a very different place narratively.

For me the MCD Eternal Blue always wins because of the "uncanny valley" effect: unlike TSS into SSS, the remake is sooo very similar that its off-model cinema art and the small but meaningful list of missing scenes from MCD stand out to the point that I cannot ignore them.

For the purposes of the MCD Appreciation Thread, I respect TSS even while finding enough things I like about SSS to make me play the remake more, but I'll always return to my creaky MCD to play Eternal Blue.

There's only two changes in EBC that irk me, though they're pretty drastic. The whole 'dual bath scene' thing(there's only one in the original), and Zophar looking like a complete tool in EBC. (He's also much much MUCH easier.)

Oh, and no Star Dragon Guardian. That was a big one too.

Maou

Yeah, I'll never forgive them for the lower production values on the EB remake movies, ruining the perfection of the Zophar fight, and dropping the Sieg the Risen/Phantom Sentry appearances. I almost fell asleep in the remake epilogue without a regular antagonist.

Speaking of which, it's also a pretty cool trick of the MCD internal ram in getting the "secret" epilogue to appear. Whereas the remake had to ask you whether to save after finishing the game, which triggered the epilogue option, the MCD version just recorded your finishing the game automatically and gave you an epilogue quest if you were fortunate or inquisitive enough to poke around the load screen afterwards.

Bouncing back a few steps, interesting thought on MCD Silver Star being more difficult. I do recall the initial part being very hard, including the woods and of course the trial cave you mention. After the Red Dragon cave, though, the game is 100% on auto-play, assuming that you fight each fight without running but don't grind. It all ends on such a dismally easy note as you punch out the Magic Emperor, who only karate chops you in round one. Contrast that with his Zophar-level difficulty in the remake, and I think most people would be crying for the MCD version.

cj_iwakura

Yeah, I'll never forgive them for the lower production values on the EB remake movies, ruining the perfection of the Zophar fight, and dropping the Sieg the Risen/Phantom Sentry appearances. I almost fell asleep in the remake epilogue without a regular antagonist.

Speaking of which, it's also a pretty cool trick of the MCD internal ram in getting the "secret" epilogue to appear. Whereas the remake had to ask you whether to save after finishing the game, which triggered the epilogue option, the MCD version just recorded your finishing the game automatically and gave you an epilogue quest if you were fortunate or inquisitive enough to poke around the load screen afterwards.

Bouncing back a few steps, interesting thought on MCD Silver Star being more difficult. I do recall the initial part being very hard, including the woods and of course the trial cave you mention. After the Red Dragon cave, though, the game is 100% on auto-play, assuming that you fight each fight without running but don't grind. It all ends on such a dismally easy note as you punch out the Magic Emperor, who only karate chops you in round one. Contrast that with his Zophar-level difficulty in the remake, and I think most people would be crying for the MCD version.

I haven't played SSSC in a while(my last attempt just bored me and made me want to play TSS instead), but I don't recall Ghaleon being that difficult at the end. In TSS, though, even with knowing the system(actually knowing what the spells do), Xenobia and Ghaleon still put up a pretty good fight.

AmyS

An early drawing, before MEGA-CD got unveiled later in 1991.

pR4HK0a.jpg

cEv

Neo Member
Slam City & Supreme Warrior - am I the only person to actually finish these games?! Loved both of them.

Maou

I haven't played SSSC in a while(my last attempt just bored me and made me want to play TSS instead), but I don't recall Ghaleon being that difficult at the end. In TSS, though, even with knowing the system(actually knowing what the spells do), Xenobia and Ghaleon still put up a pretty good fight.

Man, that's interesting, we must have very different play styles. In both versions, I would never run but never grind either, and MCD punching Ghaleon made me laugh in disbelief, whereas vicious remake Ghaleon took an hour like Zophar and made me glad that Eternal Blue had taught me to hoard MP replenishers.

An early drawing, before MEGA-CD got unveiled later in 1991.

pR4HK0a.jpg
This is so great. NEW GAMES WITH MUSIC. Didn't they try to market the Multimega as a "portable CD player" too, as if you would cart your massively expensive system around town?

AmyS

Man, that's interesting, we must have very different play styles. In both versions, I would never run but never grind either, and MCD punching Ghaleon made me laugh in disbelief, whereas vicious remake Ghaleon took an hour like Zophar and made me glad that Eternal Blue had taught me to hoard MP replenishers.

This is so great. NEW GAMES WITH MUSIC. Didn't they try to market the Multimega as a "portable CD player" too, as if you would cart your massively expensive system around town?

LOL, that wasn't the point, the point was to show the artist's impression of what the hardware might look like :)

I recall that Pier Solar made it so that the Sega CD version actually has red book audio.

Is there a Sega CD version? I thought they just had an audio CD you could use in conjunction with the cart to give the game better audio. Or is that what you were talking about?

cj_iwakura

Is there a Sega CD version? I thought they just had an audio CD you could use in conjunction with the cart to give the game better audio. Or is that what you were talking about?

Oh yeah. That's what I meant. Kind of wish I owned a copy, but I know someone who does.

Khaz

It's not even a redbook CD, it has a single data track, supposedly containing samples. It freezes the console if attempted to play alone.

iidesuyo

Why didn't Sega increase the number of colors or get a "true" 60fps Mode 7 effect onto the Mega CD? Those were the weaknesses when compared to the SNES. Most of the Mode 7 wannabes (like Sonic CD special stage) did not run at 60fps.

lazygecko

Why didn't Sega increase the number of colors or get a "true" 60fps Mode 7 effect onto the Mega CD? Those were the weaknesses when compared to the SNES. Most of the Mode 7 wannabes (like Sonic CD special stage) did not run at 60fps.

Costs most likely. I think Sega of Japan tried to push for more colors but it didn't pan out.

Khaz

Costs most likely. I think Sega of Japan tried to push for more colors but it didn't pan out.

It may have been technical difficulties too. The Mega CD brings more processing power but everything still has to go through the video processor. The 32X had its own, more powerful video processor but the drawback was to have the video output of the console go to the addon via an external cable to merge it to the addon.

Khaz

Regarding Lunar, I played The silver star on GBA years ago. Was I a fool? I have Lunar II for the Mega CD, should I wait until I get and play the first one on this console or am I good to go? I barely remember the story now.

Teknoman

So whats better for Sega CD games that need the mouse? The Japanese Mega Mouse, or the North American version with the 3 buttons or whatever?

Maou

It's not even a redbook CD, it has a single data track, supposedly containing samples. It freezes the console if attempted to play alone.
This reminds me of another way to stay on-topic and not just talk about Lunar! The Redbook CD audio on many, but not all of, the games for the system is something to celebrate! Whereas poor Mega Drive's audio chip is junk compared to the insanely powerful thing they put in the Super Famicom, the MCD is a joy to listen to, and how novel it seemed back then to be able to listen to the sounds from most games right off of a normal CD player!

Regarding Lunar, I played The silver star on GBA years ago. Was I a fool?
Er, hate to say it, but you played the equivalent of Final Fantasy VI iOS. Sorry! Like FFVI iOS, your shoddy port still outshines many other things that weren't severely compromised but... Fortunately, the Mega CD Appreciation Thread is ready to forgive your transgressions if you find a copy ASAP! It's dirt cheap in Japan since everyone who had a MCD bought Lunar 1, but looking online now, I see that it's more expensive if you play in English. It'd be worth it! Although speaking of...
I have Lunar II for the Mega CD, should I wait until I get and play the first one on this console or am I good to go? I barely remember the story now.
You're in luck! The sequel is set far in the future and is a joy to play first---that's how I did it as a kid. You end up in similar situation to the protagonist or to starting Phantasy Star with II...you live in a less glamorous age and hear legends of the distant past, so you identify with his excitement over learning more. Thematically, nothing is lost, you're just in a scenario where the optional in-game lore is exceptionally rich because there is literally a whole additional game to supply it.

cj_iwakura

You're in luck! The sequel is set far in the future and is a joy to play first---that's how I did it as a kid. You end up in similar situation to the protagonist or to starting Phantasy Star with II...you live in a less glamorous age and hear legends of the distant past, so you identify with his excitement over learning more. Thematically, nothing is lost, you're just in a scenario where the optional in-game lore is exceptionally rich because there is literally a whole additional game to supply it.

Uh, I wouldn't say that, because there's one very good reason to play the original first that I'm sure you know of. :p

Maou

Hahah, I guess I can see it, but all I can ever have experienced is the order I did, sequel first. Yes, the secret identity of the villain is blown because by Lunar 2, everyone has a record of what happens, but scenario writer Shigema Kei has always remarked that he writes it to be pretty obvious anyway, so maybe I didn't miss much. Instead, when I did play Lunar 1 afterwards, I did get to enjoy the dramatic irony of knowing/fearing what my party members did not, and was still kind of in denial. But in exchange for this, you also get the excitement of finally playing as the legendary heroes you've always heard about in optional books in the libraries in Lunar 2, of seeing these crazy devices like the Mechanical Castle in motion...it was exhilarating. So I say, go for it!

cj_iwakura

Hahah, I guess I can see it, but all I can ever have experienced is the order I did, sequel first. Yes, the secret identity of the villain is blown because by Lunar 2, everyone has a record of what happens, but scenario writer Shigema Kei has always remarked that he writes it to be pretty obvious anyway, so maybe I didn't miss much. Instead, when I did play Lunar 1 afterwards, I did get to enjoy the dramatic irony of knowing/fearing what my party members did not, and was still kind of in denial. But in exchange for this, you also get the excitement of finally playing as the legendary heroes you've always heard about in optional books in the libraries in Lunar 2, of seeing these crazy devices like the Mechanical Castle in motion...it was exhilarating. So I say, go for it!

That's an interesting way of looking at it, but I for one
had no idea the betrayal was coming when I first played TSS, and I was absolutely stunned. Even more gut-wrenching considering Ghaleon commits cold-blooded murder in TSS as opposed to kidnapping in SSSC.

Teknoman

This reminds me of another way to stay on-topic and not just talk about Lunar! The Redbook CD audio on many, but not all of, the games for the system is something to celebrate! Whereas poor Mega Drive's audio chip is junk compared to the insanely powerful thing they put in the Super Famicom...

Well now I wouldn't say that. I like Redbook audio a lot and how the soundtracks that came along with it seem so unique even compared to mid-late PS1/N64 onward to now...but

Junk is putting it really harsh.

Maou

That's an interesting way of looking at it, but I for one
had no idea the betrayal was coming when I first played TSS, and I was absolutely stunned. Even more gut-wrenching considering Ghaleon commits cold-blooded murder in TSS as opposed to kidnapping in SSSC.
Interesting. When I finally played Lunar 1 after 2, I couldn't believe
Ghaleon was the Magic Emperor despite knowing it from 2, but I had a really bad feeling once I took him to Dyne's monument. After that, I don't think I would have been too surprised even if I hadn't played the sequel first. I think we're in the same boat of much preferring the grim turn of events in the MCD version. Sounds callous, but in the remake, I was furious to see that Burg was still standing and its citizens weren't enslaved when I came back from the White Dragon's cave.
That certainly points to another great reason people should be playing the MCD Lunar 1 in the spirit of this thread, because of the gritty, PCE-like visuals and sense of urgency to the game, which became much more cheerful in the remake. It's a uniquely Mega CD experience.

Do people have any feelings about Cosmic Fantasy Stories? Like Snatcher, there's another case of a very PC Engine series finding an outlet on Sega's forray into the world of high-quality CD animation RPGs.

Well now I wouldn't say that. I like Redbook audio a lot and how the soundtracks that came along with it seem so unique even compared to mid-late PS1/N64 onward to now...but

Yeah, you're totally right. Or maybe it's that despite being pretty low-grade, really smart sound programmers managed to do marvelous things with the system's metallic sounds. Sonic 1 and 2's sound quality is a thing of beauty. Still, MCD audio is hot hot hot.

There are quite a few Sega CD games that didn't use redbook at all and used the Ricoh PCM soundchip in the Sega CD. There are also a few games that would use a combination of the 8 channel PCM chip, the 6 channel FMSynth chip in the Genesis 4 channel PSG chip to create some interesting tracks.

Popful Mail uses the Genesis FMSynth chip for most of its music (I think?), but also uses the Sega CD PCM for percussion and drum beats.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HhgwowIZMPI&list=PLLeTemq3TeFVRv5_TT6Ct7FaHtQyNTc01
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ErLjU6-IsVo&list=PLLeTemq3TeFVRv5_TT6Ct7FaHtQyNTc01&index=14
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_aPzo2AJZYo
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0VVKN_5ZmtU&list=PLLeTemq3TeFVRv5_TT6Ct7FaHtQyNTc01&index=17
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BqoCOYWacbg&list=PLLeTemq3TeFVRv5_TT6Ct7FaHtQyNTc01&index=4

Here's a track from Super Monaco GP that was included in 5 in 1 Genesis compilation for the Sega CD. It still produces its music through FMsynth just like the Genesis game, but adds addition drums from the Sega CD PCM: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1QVCEapjJAs
Here's the original Genesis track for comparison: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sz_vHtPU_HA

Silpheed made great use of the Sega CD soundchip as well:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dME8eaYPNp8
https://youtu.be/f4WvAampmzg?t=937

It's interesting, because the entire game soundtrack is on the CD in redbook audio format, but it is never actually used in game. All of the in game music is being done through the Sega CD hardware and is not being streamed. Maybe GameArts included a CD soundtrack just so it could be listed to on a CD player?

Snatcher also has a lot of music tracks that are done through the PCM as well.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HWMaR8tRCWc&list=PLF0BFDE0D61E6E8C3
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MO1lLKH1ULQ&index=7&list=PLF0BFDE0D61E6E8C3
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=We2PI8NXu5Y&list=PLF0BFDE0D61E6E8C3&index=11
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5xyJvJEpxB8&index=17&list=PLF0BFDE0D61E6E8C3
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T12yA4ffdak&index=3&list=PLF0BFDE0D61E6E8C3
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pBqv8FIBKuU&index=6&list=PLF0BFDE0D61E6E8C3

Of course all of the past music in Sonic CD were done with the PCM soundchip:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gDbBMh71J38
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9iuOaU9kWR8&index=2&list=RDgDbBMh71J38
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Rc3GbK_q3I
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gHLaaOSaOY8

Sapiens

Might not have been 60fps but generally, the Sega CD was capable of doing background and sprite scaling/rotation: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WnT-hf9orO8

In contrast, SNES could only manipulate a background layer.

For me this kicked off my Sega obsession. I enjoyed the Genesis, but I adored the Sega CD.

My gems:

Night Trap
Road Avenger
TYxtKv5.jpg

Lunar 1 & 2
Panic!
Silpheed
Wirehead
Corpse Killer (guilty pleasure)
Ground Zero Texas (guilty pleasure)
Double Switch (Night Trap's spiritual successor)

doubleswitch-04a.jpg

Timeless console.

I thought I was the only one who bought Ground Zero Texas. I guess there was two us.

Zee-Row

Banned
I wish a Mega CD version of Street Fighter 2 came out. I also imagine ports of NES Ninja Gaiden with the same cutscenes voice acted.

iidesuyo

Might not have been 60fps but generally, the Sega CD was capable of doing background and sprite scaling/rotation: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WnT-hf9orO8

In contrast, SNES could only manipulate a background layer.

Yes, but it was always fluent 60fps, like in F-Zero.

I got my Mega CD II for cheap back in 2004, including Road Avenger, Earthworm Jim SE and Mickey Mania CD.

For whatever reason voice samples repeat constantly, what's wrong with the system? Is this a known issue?

But then why did they put that extra 68000 on board? It was expensive yet too weak for 3D.

It wasn't put there for 3D, but to handle data off the CD Ect

Why didn't Sega increase the number of colors or get a "true" 60fps Mode 7 effect onto the Mega CD? Those were the weaknesses when compared to the SNES.

It's an add-on and so it had it's limits. The Mega CD had a better Mode 7 effect in that it could handle multiple bitmap scaling and rotation that's an effect that not even the Neo Geo offered at the time .

Sadly the Mega CD wasn't used much and only the likes of CORE, GameArts and John O'Brien used the system to its fullest.

SoulStar looks really good, does it play well too?

BTW great job on the thread OP!

It's a bit hard to see and judge to shoot the enemies sometimes and it's too hard for its own good . Plus the game really should have had a save system too.

It's a real showcase game for the system though

It's a bit hard to see and judge to shoot the enemies sometimes and it's too hard for its own good . Plus the game really should have had a save system too.

It's a real showcase game for the system though

I see!

Yeah it really looks like it pushes the system in all the directions other developers should have done too.

MikeMyers

It seems to be 50/50 split...I don't hate the JP Sonic CD OST (In fact its really good), but I prefer Nilsen's NA soundtrack. In fact, I feel he did consistently good work for Sega's NA Sega CD efforts...its a shame he didn't do more soundtracks afterwards.
I like both soundtracks. I really did Sonic CD's level exploring. Might be my favourite Sonic.

Top Bottom