• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo 5 Launch Day Multiplayer Playlist Revealed

Are you moving on to Halo 5 bud, or are you going to continue to torture yourself??

I've liked pretty much everything I've seen of H5, loved the beta and look forward to playing the game proper. Just fancied dumping on 343's abject handling of the playlists in their most recent release since everyone is looking at this thread and yes I know very, very few people care :)

-------------------------------------------

The day one playlists for this game look fine. The first couple weeks are always a broad stroke and give newer players a taste of things they might otherwise neglect to try.

Ominym

Banned
Yeah I remember people used to brag about trolling the other team in CTF by having a flag parade with the last flag rather then just ending the game. 343 hired that guy.....

As someone who took part in that I'm impressed anyone actually remembers those victory laps.

Ominym

Banned
I remember people hiding the bomb on top of the tower on Valhalla.

Good times....

I wouldn't say victory laps were in the same vein given that they often involved marching directly into the enemy base leaving us fully exposed, and only took place for the final score.

I can get why people think it's shitty, that's fine. But I wouldn't call it unfair.

Compsiox

Banned
Found these:

8972c17f-4018-47b0-a961-6144d7ad68f2.jpg
09ca2926-02b9-44f7-ba1a-e8dd4f1b9929.jpg
ee5b00f9-054d-4c09-8010-100590d99e85.jpg
8be3ded9-0e1d-4032-af4d-6cdf941b04b4.jpg

Even though it's not multiplayer related I thought these were best fit here.

As a long time Halo fan, I think SWAT might be the worst thing that ever happened to the multiplayer. :laugh:

Warzone Assault sounds amazing for this long time asymmetric objective fan. :D

Chief's shoulderpads still bother me. They seem really low.

I like how much bulkier 343 made him though. His proportions were hilariously off in Halo 2 and Halo 3.

Madness

Fred has the best armor 343 has ever made.

I think it's really bad personally. He definitely should have gotten something else. Heck even giving him the updated Carter helmet would have been better imo. Vale and Tanaka got sweet new armor, but Fred and Linda I dislike for some reason. Should've just given him Recon or Noble Carter.

I'm always open to try new Halo things so I'll give Warzone and Arena a real go in the hope our party can maximise objective games somehow. Warzone looks like tons of fun but doesn't have that tight aspect of 4v4 objective where 1 or 2 players can impact the outcome of the game.

Again player/party toggle filters for gametypes within a playlist would solve the issue for those that want to play objective exclusively. I am disappointed to see no CTF or pure objective playlist. Perhaps they can introduce some real bomb or CTF mechanics to Warzone and make that something a party can choose or control votes for.

It's weird because Halo 4 even in it's diminished CTF variants still retained a core following.

Chief's shoulderpads still bother me. They seem really low.

I like how much bulkier 343 made him though. His proportions were hilariously off in Halo 2 and Halo 3.
I still don't understand 343s aversion to the metal diaper, or having the armor actually cover the majority of chiefs abdomen in general.

Wizman23

Banned
Wondering how the war zone assault mode will work. Maybe like rush in BF where you have to capture a point to open up the next part of the level? I can't imagine one team just camps their core the entire game waiting for attackers.

I still don't understand 343s aversion to the metal diaper, or having the armor actually cover the majority of chiefs abdomen in general.

Well, two things:

Firstly, the metal diaper is stupid looking. I don't care how classic it is, it was and will forever be a dopey lookin' thing.

Second, there's not much point in adding additional armor. It was never particularly effective in the first place vs. plasma weapons, only protecting the user from a handful of shots at most. The shield does the lion's share of the work. As such, it makes sense to emphasize maneuverability over plating; if your shield is down, you wanna get into cover ASAP, heavy armor or no. The undersuit is pretty hardy itself, to boot.

I like the bottom setting the most. The top one looks like MC is in Afghanistan looking for Big Boss.

I'm throwing money at my screen trying to preorder the deluxe no fucks given edition of this game but I can't find it and I'm starting to think it doesn't exist.

Is there a game with Master Chief and Big Boss in it or not?

matthieuC

I also like what 343 did with Blue team's colors. Each look classic, muted and just really nice. Contrast that with the exotic look of Osiris team I think 343 did a good job of separating seasoned and high tech.

I agree with the bolded, but it's important to know that Breakout does have its own playlist with all of its maps included. It's just inexplicably also tossed into Team Arena (a decision I strongly disagree with).

Breakout does have its own playlist. Which makes its inclusion in the Team Arena playlist all the more frustrating.

But... wait.. this cant be real. break out is its own playlist but its also shoved into a multi list..?

(。´-ω-`。).zZ please tell me this is a dream.

Well, two things:

Firstly, the metal diaper is stupid looking. I don't care how classic it is, it was and will forever be a dopey lookin' thing.

Second, there's not much point in adding additional armor. It was never particularly effective in the first place vs. plasma weapons, only protecting the user from a handful of shots at most. The shield does the lion's share of the work. As such, it makes sense to emphasize maneuverability over plating; if your shield is down, you wanna get into cover ASAP, heavy armor or no. The undersuit is pretty hardy itself, to boot.

I never thought it looked particularly goofy, I think chief looks way too top heavy now with the lack of lower armor. And if the reason for it not being there is because the actual metal portion of the armor is basically useless and it frees up mobility there really isn't much of a reason for the arm, shoulder, or leg armor either. Eh.

Ein Bear

I still can't believe Blue Team are actually in this. I just get this huge grin on my face every time I think about it.

Or we can continue to discuss what we think about the armor of any given Spartan from the story and not worry about being politically correct.

A joke........

Fred and Chief look awesome.

Damn you for pointing out the diaper thing. Never really looked at it like that.

I far prefer 343s take. Looks much sleeker and more modern. It looks like armor he could actually be athletic in - running, jumping, etc - versus the walking tank he looked like before.

I think in the pre-release build-up for Halo 4, they said they wanted to skew more toward F22 Raptor than Panzer Tank, and I think they nailed that.

....that said, I agree with whoever said the shoulder pads could be a little higher.

A joke........

Fred and Chief look awesome.

Damn you for pointing out the diaper thing. Never really looked at it like that.

Noted. I don't pay attention to "bodies" of Spartans so much as I do their armor in the sense that they're wearing something that could tear their body apart.

Unless it really is just a skintight suit with armor glued on.

Indeed. If I hear "Olly olly oxen free" in the campaign I'm going to lose it, lol.

Can bet we'll hear that with IWHBYD skull on.

As far as main characters go I agree. Him and Carter have the best armor.

I'm a huge fan of how Helioskrill looks though.

Carter's armor is the GOAT, I remember the first time I watched Reach's opening cutscenes on that fateful September afternoon and the first thing I thought when I saw it was "That... I want that."

Luckily they brought it back for Halo 5, and it's only a Rare drop so you can get it from Silver packs too.

Check it:

300px-H5G-NOBLE.png

Top Bottom