• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mushihimesama (Steam) |OT| More "bugs" than Batman!

tmH3tlw.png

Developer . . . . . . . . . CAVE Interactive CO.
Publisher . . . . . . . . . Degica
Genre . . . . . . . . . . . . Shmup / STG
Platform . . . . . . . . . . PC (Steam)
Release Date . . . . . . . Nov. 5th, 2015
Price . . . . . . . . . . . . . $20

a3Ie4p6.png

Mushihimesama (literal translation "Bug Princess") is a vertical bullet hell shooter by Japanese developer CAVE. Only a small number of their games have been released outside of Japan. Most recently a handful of titles for the Xbox 360 and iOS. Access to their entire catalog can be costly involving importing region locked copies of games and consoles, or even the original arcade hardware itself. This is the first title they are porting to PC and the first time it is being released worldwide in its original form.

Mushi, for short, is the first of a series of games. It is a bit of a departure for CAVE as their games tend to slant to a military theme, where as Mushi has more of a fantastical setting with giant insects. Head down to the story section if you want to know more about its setting. It tends to stand in the shadow of its more famous sequel Mushihimesama Futari for a few reasons. The main being Futari is more easily obtained due to having a region free release. CAVE designed this game specifically as a return to form, to pull back on the whole fill the screen entirely with bullets thing. It is a great entry to the genre.

Words won't do it justice so I'm just going to shut up and let the game do the talking...
SbJTlDT.gif

F8VOuMs.png

Shmups, and bullet hell more specifically, like any genre has a lot of conventions. Here is some info if you are new, or your last shmup was Ikaruga. I'll keep this brief as an exhaustive breakdown would be overkill.

Shmup - Portmanteau of shoot 'em up. Turns out shooting things in video games is a common thing so calling them simply shooters does not cut it. And like any genre the name is somewhat contentious. I personally fall in the camp that thinks shmup looks fine on paper, but admit it does not roll off the tongue particularly well. The name STG has gained favor as an alternative, coming from "Shooting Games".

Bullet Hell - A sub-genre of shmups with a focus on bullet curtains, featuring large waves and patterns of bullets. At first glance people assume they require super human ability that they will never be able to accomplish. One vital "secret" is to be aware that the hitboxes are small. Very small. Sometimes only a pixel. This allows much more room to get around then may seem possible.

1CC - 1 Credit Clear, the crowning achievement. It is important to understand these games were very much designed for arcades where each play costs a credit. A well designed arcade game can be completed with no continues using a single credit. 1CCing a game is often considered 'beating it.' There are many goals in the genre. 1CC is normally the primary.

High Score - While many genres have abandoned scoring as a major feature they never went out of style with shmups. They will often contain involved score systems and mechanics, such as chaining, that can create an insanely high skill ceiling.

Chaining - A common score mechanic is chaining. Chaining can be implemented in different ways so I'll explain the simplest. When you kill an enemy there will be a small window of time where if you kill another enemy the chain will be extended. If you wait too long, or destroy everything too quickly leaving you nothing to chain with, that is called dropping the chain.

Micro/Macro Dodging - When there is a collection of bullets it can be advantageous to dodge them in one of two ways. Micro dodging means you charge directly into the bullet cluster and cut a razer thin path through its hitboxes. Macro dodging means you go around the cluster entirely. Macro dodging is often the safer, but not always best choice. Ship speed and positioning are big factors here.

9q7nZCs.png

I will be citing as much from the official translation as possible. Here is what we have so far from the announcement page.

Characters
Reco
Born to the royal family of Hoshifuri village, this young girl of 15 is very curious and active, and keep her parents very busy. As a child she got lost in the forest, but has few memories of that time.

She loves sweets made of tree sap, taught to her by her beetle friend, and playing throw the exploding seed game.

Kiniro
Beetle type Koju of the kind said to carry the sacrifice. He is linked to Reco through her bracelet and can even communicate somewhat. Usually calm and kind, but responds strongly to any threat to his life.
He is on bad terms with Stag Bettles Koju, and often starts fight with them.

Premise
Huge insect-like creatures called Koju roam the forest outside the village of Hoshifuri.

When Reco's people fall to a mysterious sickness, the young princess decides to leave the village and meet the God of the Koju, who may provide a cure. Riding her faithful Golden Beetle friend Kiniro, Reco must traverse the wilds, braving the hostile landscape and the aggressive Koju beasts on her journey to Shinju Forest.

cDs6rDS.png

Shots - Mushi has a single ship, but three shot types. Your shot type can be changed mid-game by allowing power-ups to cycle.

Options - Small helpers that follow your ship. 4 max, with more available in some modes. Your option type can be changed mid-game by allowing an option drop to cycle.
q8JRbIZ.gif
vQGmMdC.png

Each option you pick up will follow your ship's path. This allows you to position the options in risky spots while you sit in relative safety.

0yxzswT.gif
59Y2QnQ.png

Each option lines up on each side of your ship. This allows a very wide shot covering a large percent of the screen.

Modes - Mushi features three modes (with a fourth available as DLC). Each mode offers something different on the base game.
NORMAL
Difficulty: Original
The original version of the game released in Japanese arcades back in 2004. With the exception of the visuals as it uses the new HD GRAPHICS. Scoring in Normal is fairly simple and traditional. If you have not played a shmup in a long time this mode will be very approachable.

Difficulty: Maniac, Ultra
These difficulties introduce a Hit Counter. As you attack or kill enemies the counter goes up. If you stop firing, miss, or bomb the counter will go down. Enemies also have a counter next to them that decreases over time. So you want to destroy as many enemies, as quickly as possible, with as little downtime as possible. These difficulties also tremendously increase the bullet counts. If you are used to games increasing the difficulty by just giving enemies more HP you are in for a rude wake up call.

ARRANGE
Difficulty: n/a
This mode is based on the Maniac difficulty from Normal mode, and as such does not offer difficulty options. The hit counter from maniac returns. Reco's option count has been increased from 4 to 6. Reco can switch shot types at any time with a button press. It also features auto-bombing, where Reco will drop a bomb automatically if hit by a bullet.

NOVICE
Difficulty: Original, Maniac, Ultra
This mode dramatically reduces the difficulty. Enjoyable for those terrified of the more challenging elements of the game.​

3UX2ODl.png

VER. 1.5 - $5
Difficulty: Original, Maniac, Ultra
Mushi 1.5 introduces some interesting changes to the game. It comes with a remixed soundtrack, new enemy placements and bullet patterns. During the shot selection there are an additional three MAX shot options available. Selecting one of the Max shots means Reco will be fully powered up from the start of the game. Using Max shots adjusts how the Hit Counter system works and makes it so very skilled players can achieve very high scores with its rank system. Leaderboard fights will almost certainly be focused on this mode.

OST - $5
Degica has stated the soundtrack will be available for purchase at release and possibly more, such as remix soundtracks, coming soon.​

vEJpMgW.png

PfspepK.png

THE HARDEST VIDEO GAME BOSS EVER!
That isn't a question, but yes, that video is quite popular and infamous.
It is actually from the sequel, Mushihimesama Futari. It is also a little misleading as it is towards the end of the most difficult setting. A difficulty that even CAVE considers a bit of a joke.

Is this an accurate port?
We don't know yet. The publisher has reached out to people who own the arcade PCBs for testing, but it is unclear at this time how accurate things like slowdown are.

Why does the game not fill the entire screen?
Short answer: Aspect ratio. Think of the black bars some films have.
Long answer: Mushi was designed for arcade. It is common to orient the screen on its side, what is known as tate mode. This gives a tall and narrow aspect ratio. When porting the game to other platforms/displays, particularly today's widescreen monitors, you can only scale the play area so much before stretching will be required.

Does it support tate?
You betcha.

What about tapping/rank/bullet cancelling/etc..?
There are a lot of nuances about the mechanics that I was not able to cover in detail. Feel free to ask about any of the game's finer details.

I thought CAVE was dead?
It has looked pretty bleak, for sure. Ikaruga had a relatively successful release on Steam and this convinced CAVE that their may be a PC audience for their games. For one of the oldest genres, shoot 'em ups truly are niche. Sales as low as 1k-5k are not uncommon and 100k is considered a massive success.

Isn't this really frustrating/too hard?
If you are finding the 1CC goal impossible or even worse find yourself getting frustrated try setting a more realistic goal for yourself. Give a 10CC a shot, beating the game using no more than 10 continues. Once you have accomplished that move down to 5CC, 3CC, and so on. There are also very good training options. Make sure you use them! Don't beat your head against the same problem until defeat and frustration overcomes you. You can do it.

Does this have any relation to Nausicaa of the Valley of the Wind?
Yes, it has been cited as an inspiration for the game. There is no direct relation beyond that.

-- POST RELEASE LIFE --
Day one is over, how does it look?
Game has some issues, Degica is aware and working with Cave on the worst of them. If you are fortunate enough to have no crashes then the game is very playable. Scoring is a bit up in the air due to framerate so maybe keep those world record runs on reserve for the moment! :D

The game works with GeDoSaTo! Here is a guide to get some better resolution options and a solid framerate.

Durante to the rescue again. Crashing fix has been added to GeDoSaTo. Blog post here.

Crash fix patch has been released!

11 hours until release according to Steam. The hype is real!

Was watching the Degica stream yesterday and gosh this port looks fully featured to me. The only bummer is that it only runs at 720p and the scaling has to be done on your gpu/monitor. I kind of wish they just did the scaling in-game and had the UI at native resolution, but whatever. Just hoping it won't introduce any unnecessary input lag with certain setups mostly.

Durante

I have to admit that I'm pretty hyped for this.

The last time I played Mushihimesama was at an arcade in Akihabara ~8 years ago.

11 hours until release according to Steam. The hype is real!

Was watching the Degica stream yesterday and gosh this port looks fully featured to me. The only bummer is that it only runs at 720p and the scaling has to be done on your gpu/monitor. I kind of wish they just did the scaling in-game and had the UI at native resolution, but whatever. Just hoping it won't introduce any unnecessary input lag with certain setups mostly.
If it's DX9 it should be easy to use GeDoSaTo for upscaling.

Aw man, it's 2005 all over again. Hard to believe it's been that long since I preordered the PS2 version and waited eagerly for the day of its arrival, now here we are waiting 10 hours for its release on Steam haha.. Brings back a lot of memories. I'll get some time tonight to play, but will probably play some tomorrow and over the weekend between baby showers and getting the rest of the house ready for the twins' arrival.

Nzyme32

Will be picking this up at some point soon! Great to see Cave games showing up on Steam. Now I want to see Espgaluda and Dodonpachi games showing up, along with Radiant Silvergun and a myriad of others

I was going to say the thread title would have been better without the quotes but now I'm not so sure.

It was a tough choice.

In terms of top SHMUPS, where would this fall on an all-time list for those who aren't familiar?

Shmups forum ranks this as the #11 shmup of all time, with its sequel (Futari) ranked as #2. They have very strong opinions about these sorts of games, as you can imagine, so anything in their top 25 is worth a look.

Volodja

For some reason I imported Futari from Japan and never actually played it.
This one will cost me quite a lot less, at least.

Mushihimesama is imo one of the best shmups for beginners, especially with the Novice mode implemented here. Anyone who's interested in the genre but usually feels like these games are too hard should definitely check it out!

I will say though that people recommending the original original mode for beginners are crazy. The bullets move ridiculously fast and the bosses will instantly kill you with bullets you barely have time to see coming. I almost find if harder than Maniac, but that might just be because I have plenty of practice dodging dense patterns from other Cave games.

Good game. Fun game.

I'd recommend buying this to everyone who has it on their MAME setup. Cave PCBs are usually super expensive, so I don't blame anyone for going that route. But this is your chance to give them some support outside of forum posts.

Durante

I was going to say the thread title would have been better without the quotes but now I'm not so sure.
Perhaps it needs to be pointed out explicitly that all the enemies in the game are bugs.

FTFY.
I mean, really, that had to be a typo/brainfart.
Well, after our Tales discussion recently, it's not surprising me in the least that you have wrong opinions :p

I am not particularly good at Shmups, but this one I am going to practice. I love Cave, but getting their games legitimately has been a pain most of the time. I might even buy extra copies to gift to my friends, just to show support ( I want that sequel to get a Steam-release someday! ).

Wonko_C

Hopefully it's priced like 1 USD = 13 MXP on the Mexican store like most games. I had more than enough money saved to buy this game and some more in the upcoming Thanksgiving and Christmas sales, but Amazon recently opened in Mexico and sent me a nice discount code, I ended up buying a DualShock 4 for my PC with that that ended up being almost half price than for what's sold around here, and now thanks to that I only have about 200 Pesos left now till the end of the year.

Degica's MXP prices have always been good so I'm hopeful. XIIZeal is 129.99 MXP so that should be like, 10 USD on the US store, right? Extrapolating, a $15 Mushi should be 179.99 MXP, I am probably safe.

Cowie

Nice informative OT!

Pretty excited about this, I almost bought a pivoting monitor solely for this game. Holding strong for now, but if they confirm more releases I think my hands will be tied.

Tain

oh, you know I'm in. I'll be slapping Sanwa buttons in front of a rotated monitor as soon as it unlocks.

linid0t

Can't believe it's finally happening! Haven't been able to play mushi since the arcade replaced the cab. Furthest I ever got was stage 4 boss on maniac - time to reach the 1cc!

microfolk

I barely managed to get my stick to work (the harness acts funny with my Seimitsu stick and there is barely place for it in the case) but I'm going to use it till it turns to dust >:^]
I'm also going to test how well my old-ass monitor works when rotated for an extended period of time, nothing will stop me.

ys45

lol, dat OT titlte !

So glad this is finally coming out on Steam I have been wishing for this for like 2 years .
I will finally be able to play with my PC/xbox 360 arcade stick !

Top Bottom