• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SQUAD, Combined Arms Tactical FPS - It's not (but still kind of) Project Reality 2!

i cant wait for some impressions.. thinking about upgrading my package to join in the testing but im holding off until i hear some good things.

i decided to buy into the alpha and the close quarter combat is intense.. the sound of an incoming rpg and nearby explosion is pretty scary lol

downside is that the map has way too many cap locations and in a room of 40/50 the enemies are a bit hard to come by.

54-46!

From the 100 player test, love it.

vVr4er.gif

spookyfish

Heh ... showing my age.

I remember when Project Reality was the first name for the Ultra -- later called the Nintendo -- 64.

Picked this up recently. Played PR a fair bit years back and never thought I'd see a spiritual successor.

Having a fantastic time. The gameplay is just so intense and rewarding. A lot of stellar teamwork on display early on. Definitely recommend getting involved if the idea interests you at all. If not now then in December it will be hitting steam for Early Release.

Alpha update 2 is coming in 24 hours too. Looks to be fantastic.

Nothing like it out there?

Wtf is ARMA then?

I cannot see anywhere that somebody said this, but I must be blind.

Nothing like it out there?

Wtf is ARMA then?

Somebody will have to distill the differences down for me. If I'm a heavy ARMA II, and III player why should I get this?

I cannot see anywhere that somebody said this, but I must be blind.

It was in the testimonial video from a player.

Level Cap video he says realistic damage drop off. That's one thing that always cracks me up, firearms are more likely to kill a target that is far away (To a point) then close by.

54-46!

Somebody will have to distill the differences down for me. If I'm a heavy ARMA II, and III player why should I get this?

Because you obviously like modern military FPS with a realistic flair ? it's not like ArmA has any competition right now.

I mean it's a modern military semi-realistic FPS that puts a lot of emphasis on teamwork, they are very similar. Squad and PR are much more streamlined and controls like modern FPS though.

Really you should try PR:BF2 (it's free) to get a feel for what Squad will eventually become.

Because you obviously like modern military FPS with a realistic flair ? it's not like ArmA has any competition right now.

I mean it's a modern military semi-realistic FPS that puts a lot of emphasis on teamwork, they are very similar. Squad and PR are much more streamlined and controls like modern FPS though.

Really you should try PR:BF2 (it's free) to get a feel for what Squad will eventually become.

Ah I see, thanks.

SparkTR

I'll check it out when it's on Steam. I'm starting to remember how much I've missed these kinds of shooters, I need to get back into RO2 and whatnot. If this expands what PR brought to the table it could be one of the best multiplayer experiences in years.

Also the explosions are awesome.

OneUh8

This game looks awesome. I added it to my wishlist during the Steam summer sale. Will certainly pick this up during it's next sale.

54-46!

I really want to pick it up. Where would you place it in terms of accessibility between ARMA and Battlefield?

It's definitely a middle-ground between those two in terms of realism vs. gameplay, it's very easy to pick up and play though, controls like a regular FPS.

Arkam

Been playing the hell out of this game since alpha 8 release.... it is so good!!! It hits that sweet spot for me between reality and fun.

While there are many games that tread similar water, few ingrained teamwork like Squad. When I play I listen to my Squad leader like they are god themselves. They say crawl a km through the woods to a rally, my ass is on the floor crawling like worm. They say watch south when we are being engaged from the north, I watch south and trust my squad to take care of the north.

Honestly that aspect alone makes this game unlike most shooters. The last time I had the same sense realism was playing R6: Raven Sheild with my friends a little over a decade.

If you like teamwork in military shooters you really need to check this game out. If you are a lone wolf "hero" you probably better avoid this one.

I am excited to see this game continue to grow and evolve!

Just bought this in the sale and getting absolutely terrible performance. Fps at 1440 with a Titan X (Pascal) is in the low 40's high 30's no matter what video settings I use. That isn't smooth either, it's choppy as hell, even on a GSync monitor. Unplayable.

Just bought this in the sale and getting absolutely terrible performance. Fps at 1440 with a Titan X (Pascal) is in the low 40's high 30's no matter what video settings I use. That isn't smooth either, it's choppy as hell, even on a GSync monitor. Unplayable.

What's your CPU? 30FPS in this game is pretty normal for most people.

Arkam

Whoa something is defiantly wrong there. I am playing this game with great performance on a system much weaker (750ti). I am playing at 1080 but that Titan should chew up that difference like nothing. I would go on the official Squad forum and see if you can get some help tuning your setup. Should look beautiful and run like butter (will still load like shit though unless you have an SSD... but that is another issue)

Whoa something is defiantly wrong there. I am playing this game with great performance on a system much weaker (750ti). I am playing at 1080 but that Titan should chew up that difference like nothing. I would go on the official Squad forum and see if you can get some help tuning your setup. Should look beautiful and run like butter (will still load like shit though unless you have an SSD... but that is another issue)

It was installed onto an SSD. I chew through every other game, even at 4K, this game just chugged like crazy at much lower resolutions no matter what I did. Shame because I really liked what I played.

I refunded it.

Arkam

It was installed onto an SSD. I chew through every other game, even at 4K, this game just chugged like crazy at much lower resolutions no matter what I did. Shame because I really liked what I played.

I refunded it.

Noooo! It breaks my heart to read that cuz the game is SO DAMNED GOOD! But I can understand how it might have been frustrating. Hope you give it another try when it comes out of Early Access and is (i hope) more polished/optimized.

enewtabie

I bought this game off steam after watching OperatorDrewski play it. Gun sounds are dead on. Trying to get a buddy to buy it as well.

Noooo! It breaks my heart to read that cuz the game is SO DAMNED GOOD! But I can understand how it might have been frustrating. Hope you give it another try when it comes out of Early Access and is (i hope) more polished/optimized.

I'm gutted about it as well. As a long time fan of the Arma games and Operation Flash point before it, since becoming a dad and work becoming more involved I simply don't have the time to put into those anymore and this seemed to be a much more fitting pace while still maintaining a lot of the things I love about the genre. I will try it again at some point.

Arkam

I bought this game off steam after watching OperatorDrewski play it. Gun sounds are dead on. Trying to get a buddy to buy it as well.

I watched tons of video too before taking the plunge. I was worried it would just be another Insurgency (which is a good game, just not what I was looking for). I think I was watching/waiting 6 months before taking the plunge. So glad i did! Now I watch Just4KGaming and drool at how pretty the game can be on beefy hardware.

Also I did the same and recruited a bunch of friends. My Mil Vet friends are addicted to this game. They also make fantastic squad mates since they have IRL mil training.

Arkam

I love being a medic in this game. Unlike many games SQUAD makes support roles game changers. Good medics are way more valuable than good shooters.

The amount of skill (and balls) it takes to run out into an open field to save half a squad that is on the ground bleeding out.

I still don't know why this is not the most popular Online FPS game currently. I'll keep bumping this thread as long as I am playing.

A.Romero

I couldn't find another thread so I hope it's OK to rez this.

I got the game on the steam sale and I'm having a blast. I went to bed at 5 am because I was so into it.

There are a lot of new players but existing ones are patient and willing to deal with novices. Most people have mics and try to follow orders. As an avid BF player it was surprising and refreshing.

There is much less action than Battlefield but when it comes is much more stressful and enjoyable. No unlimited running, ironsights ts, no crazy jumping makes it a lot more about positioning than reflexes.

Vehicles need work but the overall games feels robust enough for the price.

I recommend everyone that likes tactical shooters to give it a try.

Top Bottom