• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Does SW:Battlefronts skill based matchmaking work?

ISee

I've watched a few streams and the netcode seems very solid, is this the case for those that have played it?

From my experience, mostly yes.

Basically this. Regardless of the breakdown, as TC said, there very often seems to be 2-3 players in the lobby that are thunderfucking everybody else (and very often they're on the same team).

As said, that's exactly my experience.

prag16

Banned
Feels like I'm always put on a team of children when the other team is Seal Team Six.

So no, it doesn't work.

Basically this. Regardless of the breakdown, as TC said, there very often seems to be 2-3 players in the lobby that are thunderfucking everybody else (and very often they're on the same team).

It must, I have like a 2 to 1 K/D

In every other FPS I'm garbage

I have the opposite problem. I'm not GREAT at other shooters by any means, but I'm usually pretty average. In this game I'm getting curb stomped more often than not, sometimes horrendously. So much for noob friendly child accessible shooter...

I'm sure little Timmy will LOVE opening this up for Christmas, popping it in, then for an extended period of time rocking a 0.1 KDR while he tries to get himself acclimated to the game...

prag16

Banned
Is there an actual need for skill based matchmaking? The game is piss easy to play.

Easy to play doesn't mean easy to be good. And don't forget, for every "leet" player rocking a 3:1 KDR, there's at least one lovable loser rocking a 1:3 KDR to offset that (and probably a lot more than one; the person going 3:1 probably is logging a lot more hours than people struggling along at 1:3).

I'd imagine it takes at least five 1:3 KDR (or ten 0.67 KDR) players to "support" each 3:1 KDR player; probably more. Not just for this game; probably for most shooters.

ISee

Is there an actual need for skill based matchmaking? The game is piss easy to play.
tumblr_nsmxfqi3bd1qkk28js6.gif

And honestly, even pac man is piss easy to play and it still involves skill.

Briarios

What mode is that? if it's WA then Imps will always have a way higher k:d ratio.

No that's skill. You didn't secure the kill even though they had their back turned to you, you fucked up and they punished you for fucking up. There's nothing wrong with that, just accept that you lost the encounter and try to do better next time.

Except, that's not true at all -- you're acting like a jerk when there is a known invulnerability glitch in the game.

Ferrio

Banned
Except, that's not true at all -- you're acting like a jerk when there is a known invulnerability glitch in the game.

He said nothing about the guy not taking damage from shots that registered as hits. He just said the guy killed him faster.

prag16

Banned
He said nothing about the guy not taking damage from shots that registered as hits. He just said the guy killed him faster.

Come on. His intent was obvious. He feels he was pummeling the guy accurately, while the other guy started shooting him way later and killed him almost instantly. You just saw a "get gud" troll opportunity, and you took it.

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
I'll kill like 4 enemies in a row, even went 19 and 8, but I get the large scale battle fatigue.

I hate playing these giant sized battles and going 9-20. I can't stand it. Big team battle from Halo 2 was alright, but I can't get into anything that big.

I was playing a match today and was doing horrible. The objective was to defend the base and I had to quit playing it.

You'd spawn at some random location and get blinded by fire. I know it's gonna happen no matter what. I just can't do it back to back.

I don't think I like playing against level 18 or 20's when I'm 7 or so. It's lame that the newer blasters suck at damage.

Battlefront's weapons suck starting out. I can bet they get better, but I hate this about DICE shooters. They rely on speed or damage. Then someone just happens to play more and they get some dominating weapon.

I hate the guns in Battlefield. I don't fancy myself to learn the gun names anymore. I use to, but it's pointless. I'll trash whatever gun I was using if the next one is better.

I think Battlefront is a gamble. Either you're hitting home runs or you're striking out big time.

It's a fun game at times, but the skill level can make any MP absolutely horrible at times. Just because it feels like there's too much of an advantage from damage outputs with like 20+ players all the time!

ISee

I'll kill like 4 enemies in a row, even went 19 and 8, but I get the large scale battle fatigue.

I hate playing these giant sized battles and going 9-20. I can't stand it. Big team battle from Halo 2 was alright, but I can't get into anything that big.

I was playing a match today and was doing horrible. The objective was to defend the base and I had to quit playing it.

You'd spawn at some random location and get blinded by fire. I know it's gonna happen no matter what. I just can't do it back to back.

I don't think I like playing against level 18 or 20's when I'm 7 or so. It's lame that the newer blasters suck at damage.

Battlefront's weapons suck starting out. I can bet they get better, but I hate this about DICE shooters. They rely on speed or damage. Then someone just happens to play more and they get some dominating weapon.

I hate the guns in Battlefield. I don't fancy myself to learn the gun names anymore. I use to, but it's pointless. I'll trash whatever gun I was using if the next one is better.

I think Battlefront is a gamble. Either you're hitting home runs or you're striking out big time.

It's a fun game at times, but the skill level can make any MP absolutely horrible at times. Just because it feels like there's too much of an advantage from damage outputs with like 20+ players all the time!

Yes there are differences in weapons and equipment. I have players with DL-44 in my games and they have to be above my level (going to unlock the jetpack today), that's for sure one thing. (Not saying I'd do better with a dl 44, probably not). But a good player with a good weapon is even worse, I agree.

Still with you complaining about large battle, I generally like the idea of it. And yes I die more often in them. But still there are players dominating there, I imagined a more even playfield because of 'skill and level' based matchmaking.

BHK3

Banned
has there ever been a good working skill based matchmaking system? I think you should just keep it regulated to ranks, that at least implies some sort of time invested into the game. My WR is like 80% and I can definitely say my few losses is because the headless chickens I'm eating end up on my team. I'll go like 20-6 and the next guy on my team is 8-15

ISee

has there ever been a good working skill based matchmaking system? I think you should just keep it regulated to ranks, that at least implies some sort of time invested into the game. My WR is like 80% and I can definitely say my few losses is because the headless chickens I'm eating end up on my team. I'll go like 20-6 and the next guy on my team is 8-15

Starcraft 2's league system worked pretty well to be honest. I was in diamond and had overall good matches of course with some exceptions (played it for nearly a year). It wasn't perfect but I remember that I was quite satisfied with it.
But generally I do not buy MP focused games (without co-op) because I know there is no skill based matchmaking. But Battlefront was advertised the other way around and they told me that their new skill based matchmaking mechanic is a thing that separates them from the rest. Of course you could argue, why did you believe in PR? Well... no idea.

edit other quote:
forget it

Durden77

Everytime I've played Battlefront so far, I haven't noticed any crazy player imbalance. I'm just having too much raw fun. So I don't really care. The game's fun works.

JoseLopez

No, not really. I mean it's only natural. I'll have rounds of Battlefront where I go 50-5 and rounds where I go 20-18. There are a hundred different factors to account for. Most competent players can be in situations where they dominate or get stomped.
Pretty much

Nearly every game I've played of Walker Assault has 2-3 people who dominate, a middle section where everyone is within 500-1000 of each other and then a bottom 3 that goes for like a 0.2 K/D.

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
Nearly every game I've played of Walker Assault has 2-3 people who dominate, a middle section where everyone is within 500-1000 of each other and then a bottom 3 that goes for like a 0.2 K/D.
That happens in nearly every single online multiplayer shooter I've ever played. But I'm not really sure why. Bell curves or something?

Serick

Married Member
This game is all over the place. Yesterday I went 15-0 then a few hours later I'm 3-18.

Yeah this has been very similar to my experience as well.

I'm also one of those plebs under a 1:1 KDR :(. When I get stomped, I get stomped HARD.

RoKKeR

Nothing about this game seems like there is a wide enough skill gap to make this a necessity, especially with the random nature of power ups.

MrDaravon

I've played about 5-6 hours, I honestly thought it didn't have skill-based matchmaking lol. I don't really buy that it does if for no other reason than I have never seen it shuffle players from one team to another, not once. Had a couple sessions with a friend last night where multiple games in a row it was pretty much the exact same people on the same teams. I assumed it didn't have skill-based anything because of the way it rolls you from match to match directly without starting a new search or anything.

Maybe it tries to match you based on skill in your initial playlist selection choice which I could see, but it's hard to see any effect from that. More importantly though even if that IS the case the game has been out for a few days, and this is the game's first weekend where a lot of people will be touching it for the first time. I wouldn't reasonably expect skill-based matchmaking of any sort to really be doing much at this point yet, game doesn't have enough data on most players.

prag16

Banned
Yeah this has been very similar to my experience as well.

I'm also one of those plebs under a 1:1 KDR :(. When I get stomped, I get stomped HARD.
Most people are under 1:1. It undoubtedly takes several sub 1.0 people to "support" a single pub stomper with a big KDR since the "leet" guys are putting in way more hours typically.

I feel like everyone saying there's no skill gap either hasn't played the game, or usually performs "above average" and consequently just isn't paying attention.

GRaider81

I started off with a horrible 0.35 k/d and after 15 hours im back to 1/1.

Not sure if its the matchmaking or "gittin gud", learning the maps or all 3.

Whatever is happening though im loving it.

I have definitely noticed the matchmaker working. I play the smaller scale maps more frequently than the big ones. I can tell I am being matched up against people that the system thinks should be similar in skill. I hit Rank 43 today and in my games I am definitely seeing more and more Rank 40+ since we all immediately get the aliens and shock trooper skins. In my games in Fighter Squadron I have also noticed more competent competition mostly going for Human Players rather than AI. Where as watching a friend of mine play on his new account the majority of players have AI kills and 2-3 player kills.

Don't know how well it is doing in the larger game modes though.

MattKeil

BIGTIME TV MOGUL #2
No that's skill. You didn't secure the kill even though they had their back turned to you, you fucked up and they punished you for fucking up. There's nothing wrong with that, just accept that you lost the encounter and try to do better next time.

No, that's network problems. This game has massive problems with that kind of thing. I am 100% positive that, at least some of the time, two players facing off against one another are not seeing the same thing on their screens, at least on PS4. Way too many weird encounters I've seen, both in my favor and against, and also with my online group. Either a bunch of people playing Battlefront on PS4 are psychics, or many of these situations are technical hiccups.

prag16

Banned
No, that's network problems. This game has massive problems with that kind of thing. I am 100% positive that, at least some of the time, two players facing off against one another are not seeing the same thing on their screens, at least on PS4. Way too many weird encounters I've seen, both in my favor and against, and also with my online group. Either a bunch of people playing Battlefront on PS4 are psychics, or many of these situations are technical hiccups.

Yeah, I wasn't entirely sure out of the gate since I hadn't gotten feel for the flow of the game, etc. But now I can say it's certain that there are some definite lag/network related issues (like most shooters).

I get one-shotted from full health from range with T-21s all the time (which is a 2 hit kill at best), and even one/two shotted from mid/close range with various other guns that are ~8 shot kills based on the stats. I do that to other people sometimes too (unless they're in a weakened state when I wouldn't expect it), but not as often.

I've had cases where I'll pound a guy's chest several times from up close, his avatar reacts to the hits and everything, but he then roflstomps me instantly, and when I die I see that he's still at full health!!!! Sometimes I just get no hitmarkers in those situations.

I encountered a few in Blast last night at different points that were putting up scores like 25-4 or so consistently, and they were almost untouchable, and not even using any kind of advanced strategy. One guy was just running around the catwalks in the main hangar of Imperial Hangar. Everybody knew where he was the entire time, but nobody could kill him. Another guy running around in the open on the landing pad in Endor, just stomping people from out in the open, and nobody could touch him. It made no sense.

So you either have to admit there's massive skill gap OR there are some serious connection/network/lag issues. I'm thinking the latter moreso, especially since I ran into one of the aforementioned juggernauts later on in a totally different lobby, and he was more like 1:1 KDR in that stretch.

Game's fun though.

Danneee

It apparently gets harder the higher my level is so I'd say no. No skill based match making, only level based.
And seeing how simple that would be to implement I'd say it works.

Top Bottom