• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GCU vs. Amazon Prime

The Ummah

Banned
When do you get the pre order credit ? When the game releases ? Because I haven't seen any pre order credit for my Uncharted 4 Special Editon yet.

When the title releases, it will show on your account. It usually takes about two weeks after receipt for it to be available for use, in my experience. I just got my points for Black Ops 3 a couple days ago, and I picked it up on the release date.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
I think I'm good now. I was approved for the Rewards card and used it to purchase Wasteland 2 for $23. lol yay gcu

vypek

Wait...it works with rewards cards too? And I just remembered my employer has some special deals with Best Buy as well. I think I have to get it now. lol

Kagoshima_Luke

Gold Member
GCU is far superior now. Amazon has slacked off recently; back in the day they had preorder credit deals for most big titles, but dropped that years ago.

The only issue I have with Best Buy right now is the questionable service. Basically, the employees at my local Best Buy don't know a thing about video games or what's going on with releases, and will actually give you incorrect answers just to get you out the door.

Here's an example:

1. I had Fallout/socks/season pass bundle preordered for release date delivery.
  2. Saw that the bundle was offered via different SKU and for in store pick up, so canceled my home delivery order and switched it to in store pick up (there was no option to just change delivery/picku up method).
  3. Noticed the new SKU didn't have the season pass code as a separate line item in my order break down.
  4. Called Best Buy to let them know this and after 30 minutes and being bumped around, I was told it would be emailed.
  5. When I picked up my order, I noticed the box said the code would be printed out on the receipt. The clerk assured me that was not true and it would be emailed.
  6. It wasn't emailed, so I went back in and they printed a pick up receipt after the fact... with no code. They said the code might be emailed in a few days (despite the code ALWAYS being mailed within hours of pick up) and to come back in in two days if I hadn't received it.
  7. As expected, code didn't arrive after several days, so I went back in. Was told they can't do anything in the store and that I should call the general customer support line (lol!).
  8. Went home and called support. Talked to one person who at first was arguing that the season pass didn't come with that bundle, WHEN IT'S LISTED IN THE PRODUCT DESCRIPTION AND ON THE BOX IN THE PICTURE. Finally, they saw it and said, "It should have been emailed." NO SHIT. Was transferred to digital distribution services department, and they saw right away that the code was not listed on the order and generated a special email with the code, which I received within five minutes and successfully redeemed.

So, it all worked out in the end, but for a while, I was actually thinking they were not going to get me this code that I paid for and the lack of knowledge and professionalism from 90% of those I had dealt with was shocking. Amazon absolutely trounces Best Buy in this regard.

SlickVic

If I was subscribing to Prime just to buy video games I would've cancelled it shortly after getting GCU. Prime's $10 discounts on some new games is obviously less than GCU's 20% off across the board on all new games (especially when both are charging me sales tax), not to mention BB is giving the $10 RZ certificates with pre-orders (not unlike what Amazon used to do). I mentioned it in another thread, but I don't think I've bought a single game off Amazon since getting GCU.

But I do a lot of my other shopping on Amazon and their streaming service is starting to come together with original content, so overall I still feel Prime's benefits are worth it for me.

GCU is far superior now. Amazon has slacked off recently; back in the day they had preorder credit deals for most big titles, but dropped that years ago.

The only issue I have with Best Buy right now is the questionable service. Basically, the employees at my local Best Buy don't know a thing about video games or what's going on with releases, and will actually give you incorrect answers just to get you out the door.

Here's an example:

1. I had Fallout/socks/season pass bundle preordered for release date delivery.
  2. Saw that the bundle was offered via different SKU and for in store pick up, so canceled my home delivery order and switched it to in store pick up (there was no option to just change delivery/picku up method).
  3. Noticed the new SKU didn't have the season pass code as a separate line item in my order break down.
  4. Called Best Buy to let them know this and after 30 minutes and being bumped around, I was told it would be emailed.
  5. When I picked up my order, I noticed the box said the code would be printed out on the receipt. The clerk assured me that was not true and it would be emailed.
  6. It wasn't emailed, so I went back in and they printed a pick up receipt after the fact... with no code. They said the code might be emailed in a few days (despite the code ALWAYS being mailed within hours of pick up) and to come back in in two days if I hadn't received it.
  7. As expected, code didn't arrive after several days, so I went back in. Was told they can't do anything in the store and that I should call the general customer support line (lol!).
  8. Went home and called support. Talked to one person who at first was arguing that the season pass didn't come with that bundle, WHEN IT'S LISTED IN THE PRODUCT DESCRIPTION AND ON THE BOX IN THE PICTURE. Finally, they saw it and said, "It should have been emailed." NO SHIT. Was transferred to digital distribution services department, and they saw right away that the code was not listed on the order and generated a special email with the code, which I received within five minutes and successfully redeemed.

So, it all worked out in the end, but for a while, I was actually thinking they were not going to get me this code that I paid for and the lack of knowledge and professionalism from 90% of those I had dealt with was shocking. Amazon absolutely trounces Best Buy in this regard.

Actually this was an easy thing to get fixed. Anything bought through Bestbuy.com is a 1800 customer service problem. Doesnt matter if it is pick up or delivery. Initial purchases made in-store are store problems.

Also, use the Best Buy forums if something cant get solved. Its moderated by corporate and will always get you a solution.

Does GCU have free release day delivery?

Not only they do free release day delivery (you have to preorder atleast a week before release for that) I always get my game few hours before the digital purchasers too. eg; i usually get my games on mondays around 3-4 PM. But that could have something to do with the mail delivery. The shipping center is probably around NYC and gets to my house faster than usual.

Kagoshima_Luke

Gold Member
Actually this was an easy thing to get fixed. Anything bought through Bestbuy.com is a 1800 customer service problem. Doesnt matter if it is pick up or delivery. Initial purchases made in-store are store problems.

Also, use the Best Buy forums if something cant get solved. Its moderated by corporate and will always get you a solution.

Only, the 1 800 solution failed. They said it would be emailed. It wasn't. Then, they tried to argue that the bundle didn't include the season pass. Never would have happened with Amazon. GCU is still amazing, but I'm very wary of their customer service going forward.

Az987

all good things
I do both.

Best Buy doesn't really restock older games and once they go on clearance and sellout, that's it.

Amazon always has a selection of older stuff I haven't managed to pick up yet plus I use Prime for way more stuff than just video games.

Best Buy has free shipping on orders $25 (I think) and over or if your an elite rewards member (spend $1500+ in a year). Their packaging sucks. If you buy any Amiibos or special edition games with bigger boxes, more than likely its going to arrive banged up as hell. Ship to store if you can for any of that.

Most of my games are through best buy though but since GCU took off their clearance sales have sucked. It's rare a game goes to $10 or even $15 nowadays which is disappointing.

Out of the 4 or 5 new releases I buy a year, I tend to wait for everything else go on clearance somewhere.

I have not had one good shipping experience with Best Buy since I got GCU. Every single game shows up late and damaged. The preorder bonuses sometimes don't come through and when I ordered legacy of the Void & warlords of draenor collectors editions they sent the normal editions to my house but charged me the collectors edition price. I've tried to find someone I can escalate to about these issues but Best Buy doesn't give a fuck. Hopefully prime can offer a discount like GCU so I can ditch BB. GCU is good for in store pickups and that's it.

For just game purchases, GCU is the way to go. As for quick delivery, if you are an "Elite" or "Elite Plus" memeber (have to spend over a certain amount a year) you can get faster free delivery. You also have the option for free In store pickup (I like this better because i can get it at my own convenience). The greatest savings you'll get from GCU is from Collector's and Special editions, 20% off is something amazon won't beat on them.

My advice is to def use GCU for all collector's/special edition purchases, and regular games too if you can find other nongame related expenses for your amazon credit

edit: since you can buy up to 3 copies of every game (different versions count) with GCU, if you have family you're willing to share GCU with, you could help them buy games at 20% off too (I do htat with my brother)

edit2: also, if you use a Discover IT card, going through "Discover Deals" link nets you 5% cash back on BB purchases, and if youre a new to the card, they're doing double cash back for the first year

Discover doesn't have a 5 percent cash back on Best Buy right now. They have 5 percent on Amazon.

Karak

I have not had one good shipping experience with Best Buy since I got GCU. Every single game shows up late and damaged. The preorder bonuses sometimes don't come through and when I ordered legacy of the Void & warlords of draenor collectors editions they sent the normal editions to my house but charged me the collectors edition price. I've tried to find someone I can escalate to about these issues but Best Buy doesn't give a fuck. Hopefully prime can offer a discount like GCU so I can ditch BB. GCU is good for in store pickups and that's it.

Same here. I won't be using BB ever again. Terrible delivery and terrible service combined. Might be a store thing for some of it but not all of it. Won't touch that company with a ten foot pole now.

As someone who dislikes Amazon for many reasons but damn. Wouldn't even consider recommending BB to people.

Y2Kev

So I got GCU and the Best Buy card and after Christmas shopping I'm now elite. Do I get more GCU benefits?

So I got GCU and the Best Buy card and after Christmas shopping I'm now elite. Do I get more GCU benefits?

No. But the 45 day returns/exchange period does extend to games, and with the frequency that BB does price drops you can usually get the lower price and keep both the 20% discount and the $10 cert intact on top of the new price.

GCU is useless to me because you can't cake on a pricematch on top of it. Amazon almost always has the cheaper price, plus their selection is bigger. If you're someone who backlogs most new games and buys them later, you're better off with Amazon. Best Buy is the better money saver if you buy games at the time of release though.

Y2Kev

No. But the 45 day returns/exchange period does extend to games, and with the frequency that BB does price drops you can usually get the lower price and keep both the 20% discount and the $10 cert intact on top of the new price.
Oooh how do you swing that? Bring it back to the store and just get a new copy? They're ok with that?

GCU all the way for gaming. Pays for itself after 2 games and if Amazon ever has a better price, BB price matches it.

Pretty much never buy games on Amazon anymore.

Amneisac

Oooh how do you swing that? Bring it back to the store and just get a new copy? They're ok with that?

In my experience they don't give you the credit until the return period has passed, but I guess that might not be consistent for everyone. It's also pretty unethical.

You're elite now, they practically consider you family (who has to spend money to stay family).

You just have to call the elite number and they can do the adjustment on your CC. If you go to the store, just do a price adjustment to your receipt, not a return. You don't even need the item.
They're pretty accommodating.

Also, being able to bank your points til the end of the year is a good bonus.

Y2Kev

You're elite now, they practically consider you family (who has to spend money to stay family).

You just have to call the elite number and they can do the adjustment on your CC. If you go to the store, just do a price adjustment to your receipt, not a return. You don't even need the item.
They're pretty accommodating.

Also, being able to bank your points til the end of the year is a good bonus.

Nice. How do you keep track of price drops?

Basically I can get October games at November firesale prices now. That's amazing!!!

I would keep Prime and get GCU right away and shift game buying towards BB. Pre-order a game off the $10 credit list and then keep doing that all year. I started with MCC last year and its lasted me all the way to Battlefront. Every once in a while you'll get a $5 cert and can stack it with the $10, so some of the games were $35 before tax. On release day.

GCU just can't be beaten right now, but again it's limited to games. Prime is amazing for ordering every day things, usually cheaper than most retail stores, and you don't have to waste time + gas. The credit will get used eventually.

EDIT: Bah, didn't read the thread all the way through. Anyways, enjoy GCU.

Amazon used to be the way to go, but their deals, specifically on games, are a shell of what they once were. I got the GCU really cheap on a deal (for like $15), and it has been fantastic. 20% of games, plus $10 credit for pre-ordering certain games. I regularly get new releases for less than 40. I rarely sell back games, but have done so on occasion because they run a special deal at times. Great deal/service.

autoduelist

My family uses prime for a lot of our monthly purchases (subscribe & save is awesome for anything we buy on a regular basis) so there's no way we're getting rid of that.

How is GCU for $40 games? The only games I tend to preorder are Vita drpgs like Operation Abyss, Stranger in Sword City, etc. Do they even carry/sell smaller titles? If so, what kind of discount can I expect? I'm getting pretty much 0% discount on amazon nowadays, but do get release day shipping at least.

Basically I can get October games at November firesale prices now. That's amazing!!!

CAG is a good resource because someone on there will always have the next week's ad during the middle of the current week. Plus, there are enough BOMBA threads on GAF for major games in between.

In truth, I've found that no matter how big/popular the game, it will be on sale within the return period.

If you do a store pick-up from the website you have from the day you picked up the item to price match. Say you bought something on Dec 1 and picked up the item on Dec 5. You have until Jan 4 to price match the item with elite, but with elite plus you have until Jan 19.

Also, any purchase (store pick-up or delivery) from the website has to be price matched by phone or through their forums. Purchases made in-store have to be price matched at the store.

Shenmue

Banned
GCU is the best thing ever. Get it.

When there's a sale pick up multiple years it stacks. I got 20 years when it was 6 bucks plus a phone that I sold to make it free. Selling 10 crappy disposable phones was not fun.

Fodder76

I'm not sure why the two are even being compared.

Amazon Prime doesn't directly discount your games in any way. It gives you a host of other benefits though. Free shipping, streaming movies, music, books, etc.

Best Buy GCU directly discounts your games.

I see them as two totally different services. If you are looking for something to get you cheap games, clearly GCU is the way to go. If you want the other benefits that come with Amazon Prime, get that. If both are applicable to you, get both.

sensui-tomo

Being an Elite member now allows you to get notificatications from BB about special Elite/Elite Plus only sales, Being able to get Black friday stuff before anyone else does (like i did this and last year) online(usually the monday/tuesday of the week. Plus free shipping iirc and 10% more points back (i think)

GCU all the way. I got GCU shortly after it dropped to $30 earlier this year and it's paid for itself this many times over.

Getting 20% off new releases + My Rewards Certificates has made Best Buy my main place for video game shopping. Getting the 20% off special editions and figures like Disney Infinity & amiibo also sweeten the deal.

It still amazes me that people still don't have GCU if they're able to go to a local store.

GCU is useless to me because you can't cake on a pricematch on top of it. Amazon almost always has the cheaper price, plus their selection is bigger. If you're someone who backlogs most new games and buys them later, you're better off with Amazon. Best Buy is the better money saver if you buy games at the time of release though.

I don't think that's true that Amazon almost always has the cheaper price. It's true their selection is bigger by having some much much older titles still available and more obscure titles, but their pricing is definitely not almost always cheaper. As someone who religiously follows deals, I find Best Buy to be dropping prices quicker and than Amazon ends up price matching it, not Amazon being the first out of the gate to offer a discount. Amazon plays catch up most of the time with discounts. It's not just at time of release either. Best Buy frequently drops games to $39.99 on sale for a week which add GCU that makes it $32. That's a very common sale they do for a lot of titles. Again, I find Best Buy tends to be the first to drop the price too and when they don't, Best Buy will eventually do it not long after someone else does. If you waited that long by not getting it at release, why not wait just a tad longer for Best Buy to offer the price and add in GCU? Plus with Black Friday, they can't be beat and Amazon doesn't do jack when it comes to Black Friday deals. Hell, Black Friday alone makes GCU worth while. I really don't think you're paying close enough attention if you think Amazon is the leader in gaming discounts to the point where your only alternative is to price match and lose GCU at Best Buy.

I'm not sure why the two are even being compared.

Amazon Prime doesn't directly discount your games in any way. It gives you a host of other benefits though. Free shipping, streaming movies, music, books, etc.

Best Buy GCU directly discounts your games.

I see them as two totally different services. If you are looking for something to get you cheap games, clearly GCU is the way to go. If you want the other benefits that come with Amazon Prime, get that. If both are applicable to you, get both.

To be fair, some gaming discounts apply to Prime members only.

follow wario64 on twitter

Yep. I do this and with a smart watch, I get updates directly to my wrist any time a deal happens. So I'm constantly seeing the latest deals as they come up and they're only a glance away. wario64's twitter is the perfect balance of game deals, game news, and movie updates.

Thoraxes

I use Best Buy for pretty much everything. The credit card coupled with their points system has saved me so much damn money. Not to mention the employees there know me now I'm there so much.

However, I will use Amazon for lots of cheap pickups, titles Best Buy won't carry or won't carry for long because of low stock. If it's instore at Best Buy, I'll still PM amazon because of the points system.

I stopped using Amazon mostly once they started fucking up my release date delivery consistently. They missed like 6 release dates in a row for me. I've never had anything ever be late with either instore pickup or delivery to home with Best Buy.

I also just like the peace of mind that comes with instore pickup too. I have had a really good experience with my local store, and it's only 3 minutes driving from my home.

Recently got GCU when BB finally allowed customers to sub online. Does BB charge you when a game ships like Amazon or before?
Temp authorization charge for full cost that drops off after a couple days. Then fully charged when order ships, unless you use PayPal of course.

I use Best Buy for pretty much everything. The credit card coupled with their points system has saved me so much damn money. Not to mention the employees there know me now I'm there so much.

However, I will use Amazon for lots of cheap pickups, titles Best Buy won't carry or won't carry for long because of low stock. If it's instore at Best Buy, I'll still PM amazon because of the points system.

I stopped using Amazon mostly once they started fucking up my release date delivery consistently. They missed like 6 release dates in a row for me. I've never had anything ever be late with either instore pickup or delivery to home with Best Buy.

I also just like the peace of mind that comes with instore pickup too. I have had a really good experience with my local store.

Temp authorization charge for full cost that drops off after a couple days. Then fully charged when order ships, unless you use PayPal of course.

Thank you. What I should have asked as well was a GCU member do I get the $10 reward cert on certain order or do I have to be a My Best Buy member?

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
I prefer GCU. Amazon seems like their prices are nothing special unless they're price matching someone else's deal. Best Buy runs some great sales, price matches, and I don't have to wait for a game to show up at my doorstep.

mjc

GCU is king. You get that $10 gift card with certain preordered games, and if you order lots of limited or collectors editions, the boxes aren't crushed from shipping.

Best Buy packages there collectors editions like they give a shit, usually get better retail exclusive collectors items and kicks back $10 reward certs. The only thing Amazon has over BB is pre-orders dont charge anything until they ship.

Mrbob

GCU is king. You get that $10 gift card with certain preordered games, and if you order lots of limited or collectors editions, the boxes aren't crushed from shipping.

Agreed. Amazon has done a better job but their overall offering still lacks compared to GCU. Worse packaging plus the 20% off only extends to two weeks past release date.

Whoever starts these incentives with console digital downloads will get my money.

Exactly. Consoles need their own GreenManGaming type service for digital purchases.

mindsale

Best Buy all day long. Amazon only offers 20% off within the first two weeks of release, Best Buy on all games. Also Amazon constantly misses release day shipping for me, and Best Buy has yet to.

Edit: also GCU applies ON TOP OF price matches from competitors.

Thoraxes

Thank you. What I should have asked as well was a GCU member do I get the $10 reward cert on certain order or do I have to be a My Best Buy member?
Points are tied to a My Best Buy account.

Just use same Best Buy account that your GCU is tied to and there will be no issues. For non-elite members, giftcards propogate in $5 increments iirc.

For the $10 preorder promos it's automatically applied to the My Best Buy account after about two weeks.

Just buy games from Best Buy using your My Best Buy account your GCU is tied to and there should be no issues.

Top Bottom