• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy [Mafia] |OT| Living in a Materia World, and I am a Materia Girl

So, I do feel like I want to vote for someone at this point, although I'm uneasy about it. A lot of people have exhibited strange behavior, but I can't see any way to tell if it's because they're mafia or just because they're being strange for the sake of it. Mafia would not want to stand out, right? But there's just nothing else to go on.

I don't want to vote out just based on someone being inactive either. Not only because I've been less than fully active myself, but also because I feel like a lot of people are busy around this time of year, getting ready for the holidays. Doesn't really make sense for mafia to deliberately avoid posting. And I am not a fan of the "policy lynch"; I want us to at least try to get a mafia member every day.

So, right now my vote is for Darryl. I think that his behavior in his argument with Sorian was strange, in that his stated explanation of testing reactions didn't really seem to account for the tenacity with which he pursued the original argument. While I don't really agree with Sorian's RNG policy either, it makes me nervous to have people arguing positions they don't truly believe. However I'm far from certain in this, and certainly willing to be talked around to voting for someone else.

VOTE: Darryl

Darryl

Banned
What's even more bothersome is that no one took an opportunity to come out of this from the sidelines looking like a town player. Just a bunch of hands-off "Oh Darryl and Sorian look at them go" posts. Like nobody actually cared. I think Sorian's heavy insulting and negative slant might have been a cause for this, but it's really unfortunate either way.

So, I want people to be aware of Sorian's behavior negative behavior here for the record. People need to acknowledge this. I don't want him evicted now because he's active, but incase I'm evicted I'm going to spell it out for people.

1. While he had the opportunity to be constructive when I engaged him, he instead relied on insulting and deflecting immediately. Which was not necessary.

2. He flipped multiple times between calling me scummy and town. Never trying to build a case as to why I'm scummy, just off-hand remarks and even looping around to call me town again. This is behavior I'd expect from someone who actually knows I'm town, which would make him mafia. Opinions change but a lack of new information makes me hesitant to chalk it up to that.

3. His late game justification for trying to get me lynched would likely have been personality based. "Aggressive and annoying", giving him exemption for his decisions. Similar to how I do not like policy lynches and I believe his post-lynch-Darryl defense would have been in that same territory. "We needed him gone".

4. He referred to his comments against me as non-genuine and wanted me lynched for "fun".

I just want that on the record. We can move on. I think a lot of town looks scummy for the ways they've handled this. I'm not comfortable with any players right now. The least of which is Hyperactivity.

nin1000

Banned
So, right now my vote is for Darryl. I think that his behavior in his argument with Sorian was strange, in that his stated explanation of testing reactions didn't really seem to account for the tenacity with which he pursued the original argument. While I don't really agree with Sorian's RNG policy either, it makes me nervous to have people arguing positions they don't truly believe. However I'm far from certain in this, and certainly willing to be talked around to voting for someone else.

for that you are giving him a vote ? i dont understand.. i dont want to defend him but hell.. that sure is some shitty post

nin1000

Banned
Day 1 votes

blargonaut (3)
pop-o-matic 57 (288)
sorian 228 (290)
seath 275 (391)
hyperactivity 335 (505)
theawesomepossum 389
launchpadmcq 399
terrabyte20xx 636

hyperactivity (0)
sorian 58 (137)
nin1000 95 (136)

sorian (1)
hyperactivity 66 (335)
darryl 68
swamped 75 (151)

terrabyte20xx (0)
zippedpinhead 120 (233)

nin1000 (0)
sorian 137 (228)
terrabyte20xx 220 (636)

pop-o-matic (0)
swamped 151 (589)
blargonaut 405 (410)

xamtheking (2)
nin1000 173 (179)
zippedpinhead 310
ultrajay 513

ultrajay (0)
nin1000 234 (531)
blargonaut 355 (397)

seath (0)
blargonaut 265 (285)
blargonaut 285 (296)
sorian 476 (641)

stackpoleh (1)
pop-o-matic 288
nin1000 531 (551)

theawesomepossum (2)
sorian 290 (413)
seath 425
sorian 641

darryl (1)
blargonaut 323 (355)
stackpoleh 651

starsketch (1)
tl21xx 354

launchpadmcq (0)
blargonaut 397 (405)
sorian 413 (419)
sorian 419 (476)

tl21xx (1)
blargonaut 504

zippedpinhead (1)
swamped 589

Darryl

Banned

For the record, the post that I did admit to doing that all to test reactions was post 116, which was made just a few posts after I made my original argument. Go back to post 116 and work backwards, reading only my posts.

I'm curious if you can elaborate on this more.

1. Do you think that I am retroactively using the "testing reactions" explanation as a way to explain my behavior. If so, why was I so quick to bring that up, and why didn't I drop the discussion from that point instead of dragging it on?

2. Do you believe that because I am tenacious in arguing, that is a scum tell? I want to you to paint me the picture of how this scenario played out, with me being a mafia player.

Darryl

Banned
I'll respond to Darryl's woe is me post when I'm actually at a computer and not at mobile by the way.

It isn't a woe is me post. It is my explanation for the people who aren't reading and didn't understand what happened as to why I think that you're scum. It needed to be said, and I want to stop arguing with you. You can put together an argument as to why you think that I'm scum for people to see and try to push for me to be lynched, that's fine. I think we need to stop dragging this on. If you are town, Sorian, we need to stop. You are looking past a lot of people right now.

Having just caught up with the thread, I kinda wish I could vote for more then one person right now, because that's really how I feel.

I'm going to

VOTE: Blargonaut

For starting this whole mess, and not having the usual helpfulness hiden in his insanity.

WHAT

STARTED WHAT

THE FUCK IS THIS

Sorian

Banned
It isn't a woe is me post. It is my explanation for the people who aren't reading and didn't understand what happened as to why I think that you're scum. It needed to be said, and I want to stop arguing with you. You can put together an argument as to why you think that I'm scum for people to see and try to push for me to be lynched, that's fine. I think we need to stop dragging this on. If you are town, Sorian, we need to stop. You are looking past a lot of people right now.

I don't really get scum vibes from you yet, I want to because of how obnoxious you've been but I'd be lying to myself. What still comes off as odd is how you keep saying I'm the one being insulting when you've done a lot of the same. It's some weird tactic like you want to discredit me or otherwise have people distrust me. I don't think it's coming from scum though.

nin1000

Banned
I don't really get scum vibes from you yet, I want to because of how obnoxious you've been but I'd be lying to myself. What still comes off as odd is how you keep saying I'm the one being insulting when you've done a lot of the same. It's some weird tactic like you want to discredit me or otherwise have people distrust me. I don't think it's coming from scum though.

Can we end this by saying that both of you have been obnoxious aswell as insulting? Yes? OK move on then.

Terrabyte20xx

Junior Wrestlemania XXX Champion
WHAT

STARTED WHAT

THE FUCK IS THIS
After you started posting, there were at least 2 pages that ammounted to nothing but fluff posts. A good chunk of them were directed your way.

I'm normally a fan of your playstyles, but really have done nothing this game to really make me care about you as a town.

TL is also pursuing the quiet ones, I'll make a note of it. Think I may do something similar now, but the deadline is approaching and I need to start thinking seriously about who I want to eliminate.

Go ahead and post that reads list this day phase! I might do something similar before the deadline as well.

Did the game get a little too crazy for you? Come back Zipped!

VOTE: Zippedpinhead

You too Terra! Need some voices of sanity here!

Left my phone at home while out at cosco! Sorry all!

After a game of white elephant, this guy ended up with a white robes and an excuse to go play final fantasy Mafia!

Blargonaut is entertaining as always.

ZIPPEDPINHEAD USED PHEONIX DOWN ON BLARGONAUT!

I haven't seen anything to change my vote from Blarg. I say that with the understanding that I may be called out for trying to coast by, but I rather that than being called out for being quiet and also because I can't do as many long-winded explanations as I used to. Take all that as you will.

Blarg, I'd love to see your actual intellect shine through

You may be waiting a while m8

Sorian

Banned
I haven't seen anything to change my vote from Blarg. I say that with the understanding that I may be called out for trying to coast by, but I rather that than being called out for being quiet and also because I can't do as many long-winded explanations as I used to. Take all that as you will.

You may be waiting a while m8

It's a lazy vote, Blarg has done nothing to seem like scum yet.

Sorian

Banned
It's not. In place of having done anything scummy, he's just a pain. That's good enough reason for me.

Being a pain is a horrible reason, for all we know our doctor role could have gone to Blarg or Seath, being a pain is no reason to remove anyone, I'm aware I'm shouting from the sidelines instead of offering up ideas but I plan to write up my reads and my thoughts sometime tonight. I actually do have an idea and it's not Darryl for anyone who wants to say something clever.

For the record, the post that I did admit to doing that all to test reactions was post 116, which was made just a few posts after I made my original argument. Go back to post 116 and work backwards, reading only my posts.

I'm curious if you can elaborate on this more.

1. Do you think that I am retroactively using the "testing reactions" explanation as a way to explain my behavior. If so, why was I so quick to bring that up, and why didn't I drop the discussion from that point instead of dragging it on?

2. Do you believe that because I am tenacious in arguing, that is a scum tell? I want to you to paint me the picture of how this scenario played out, with me being a mafia player.

First, thank you for pointing out the post in which you mentioned it was a gambit. It's true that I remembered that admission happening later than it actually did.

My chain of reasoning went like this:

1. Mafia members will want to derail discussion by making a lot of posts and creating drama without actually engaging in serious reasoning

2. By arguing tenaciously on a particular issue (any issue) then backing off and claiming that your argument was only a performance, you created conflict without committing yourself to any particular position. This does seem to fit the profile of expected mafia behavior.

However, I'm no longer fully convinced of this reasoning after rereading the post you linked to. This isn't because it was early on in the day but because you stated in the linked post that you still stand behind the arguments you made, even if they were also made to test reactions.

UNVOTE: Darryl

I'm not sure who to vote for next. I'm going to observe for a little while longer, but I will vote before the end of the day.

Sorian

Banned
First, thank you for pointing out the post in which you mentioned it was a gambit. It's true that I remembered that admission happening later than it actually did.

My chain of reasoning went like this:

1. Mafia members will want to derail discussion by making a lot of posts and creating drama without actually engaging in serious reasoning

2. By arguing tenaciously on a particular issue (any issue) then backing off and claiming that your argument was only a performance, you created conflict without committing yourself to any particular position. This does seem to fit the profile of expected mafia behavior.

However, I'm no longer fully convinced of this reasoning after rereading the post you linked to. This isn't because it was early on in the day but because you stated in the linked post that you still stand behind the arguments you made, even if they were also made to test reactions.

UNVOTE: Darryl

I'm not sure who to vote for next. I'm going to observe for a little while longer, but I will vote before the end of the day.

Might I recommend you reasoning through a list of top 3 town and top 3 scum? (Or top 2 in each if that is easier). Just something to get you analyzing a bit.

I recommend everyone takes this chance to do the same in all honesty.

UltraJay

Xam is the scummiest one in my book. Not only did he join in with Blarg in a fluff-off, but he took advantage of a drunk Sorian to further derail the game.

Being a pain is a horrible reason, for all we know our doctor role could have gone to Blarg or Seath, being a pain is no reason to remove anyone, I'm aware I'm shouting from the sidelines instead of offering up ideas but I plan to write up my reads and my thoughts sometime tonight. I actually do have an idea and it's not Darryl for anyone who wants to say something clever.

You may not agree, but I stand by my reasoning. It's better than picking someone at random, no? If Blarg doesn't want to be lynched, he'll come up with a non-roleclaim reason to not be lynched.

Has everyone in here said Happy Birthday to Launchpad yet?

wait, how did you know? o_o

Sorian

Banned
You may not agree, but I stand by my reasoning. It's better than picking someone at random, no? If Blarg doesn't want to be lynched, he'll come up with a non-roleclaim reason to not be lynched.

No one is picking at random, don't straw man for your bad vote. You're pressing Blarg because you're trying to act engaged.

Sorian

Banned
So I've pretty much been coasting through day 1 watching reactions, seeing who does what, the usual. Had a bit of fun on Darryl's behalf but hey, he stepped up and I always enjoy messing with anyone who wants to stand opposite me, it's all a good time. Here's my reads list and here's my thought on who to lynch.

StackpoleH- I'm giving Stack the benefit of the doubt as a newbie. She has not stepped up as much as I would have liked her too at all but she has done enough for a first day 1 performance. Although Nin called her logic shit in the one post that she threw out that was working through something, I think quite the opposite, she came to a solid conclusion that I didn't completely agree with but the logic was there. Null read for now, may be new scum but I'm not pursuing this today.

nin1000- nin has been trying to pretend to be here but has said a whole lot of nothing. As I mention above, it was odd that he called Stack out for shitty logic but if you look, nin has basically called everything shitty logic throughout day 1. Anytime a new theory has started to crop up, he's struck it down before it can find it's bearing. It's weird, it's a stifle to conversation and when he is not doing that, he is instead stifling the conversation with fluff and garbage. - Leaning Scum

Terrabyte20xx - Terra has been interesting, he has basically been here just enough to make an impression but not enough of one to mean anything. He made an odd play at the start to call himself out on not voting early like he usually does, UltraJay commented on this if I recall, Swamped may have as well, but it didn't really get much of a negative reaction otherwise. He made a point to pop into the thread and call us dumb during the debauchery moment and has now more recently come in with the easy Blarg vote. - Leaning scum

Darryl - Although he has been getting under my skin for real, he hasn't actually done anything scummy. I know he is chasing his tail if he thinks I am the right choice for a lynch but that doesn't actually make him bad. He has tried to garner discussion which hasn't been very fruitful and has tried to fool people "gambits" some of which I apparently ruined because they seemed like they would hurt more than help. Otherwise though, he is there, I could see a narrative where he is scum trying to paint me in a bad light but eh, I don't think it's there. - Leaning town

Sophia/Launch - Before Launch came in, Sophia had basically been easy town vibes, was helpful and engaged. Launch has since showed up and as I said a few posts back, has been taking the super easy route in voting for Blarg for being a "distraction." As I said, voting for a null read is worthless at this stage, we should be trying to discuss, not agreeing on a policy lynch, it gets us nowhere. Slight leaning town, mostly from a Sophia read as opposed to a Launch read.

UltraJay - I'll get it out of the way and say that I think UJ is scum this time. I'm not super confident but he has been hovering in the background a lot. There has been a lot of promises of posts to come but they seem to not pan out or not be as in depth as one would hope. Here's the kicker for me though, he votes for Xam as a prod and then gives a scum read on him later. Which comes across as him trying to justify a vote that was just sitting out there to me. This reasoning came almost a full 20ish hours later (maybe a tad less) and while Xam did not really respond to the prod during that time, the information that UJ uses to justify Xam's scumminess came from before the actual vote. I think he found an easy target to land on and went back to find good justification for leaving that vote there all day.

Pop-O-Matic- Oh right, Pop is in this game, I honestly forgot. Did a quick little search and the extent of his involvement has been prodding inactives. I'll have to get used to the fact that Pop is just not a heavy poster and will disappear for real life days at a time. Consistent with past town play but then, not posting a lot is an easy guise to stand behind. - Null read

TL21xx - I did remember Tl21 was in this game but a lot like Pop, he has stuck mostly to the back, so much so that I can't remember any real opinions coming from him. And after a search, I now remember that terrible post about wanting to wait a day phase before putting out a reads list. I'm null reading him but a vote to the brink might just be what he needs to get into gear, that's what it took in night vale. - Null read

Seath - Trash posting like usual, I did vote on him for using as many excuses as he could find to not actually play and instead post fluff but really, there is no read to be had here yet. Again, consistent with past play, I'm just leaving it be for now. - Null read

StarSketch - Star has always been fairly reserved. I fault both her and TAP for the same thing, dismissing day 1 as a waste. The difference though is that I believe Star does it because she doesn't know how to handle day 1 and no information well. This is consistent with past play and if she is scum, I feel like it would be caught later. -Leaning town for now

Zipped - Zipped has been an odd case too (I see he was the one who actually commented on Terra's not vote, not UJ, too lazy to go up top and fix that though). He hasn't been engaged in the game at all. He has come in to post a theory here or there or poke out at something suspicious but it's all low hanging fruit from what I see. No real opinions of his own that are worth much. - Slight scum read closer to null read though

Hyperactivity - Hyper has been dismissing this whole day phase and has gone out of his way to always fall on the side of each argument. Look to the Darryl/Sorian fight to see what I mean. He made a mega post that basically berated both sides and sided with both sides. I originally commented that it was a good post but, that was the point, it looked good surface level but really was a whole lot of eh, whatever. I honestly see Hyper as scum as well. Has given himself plenty of excuses to be missing from the proceeding but still shows up with big posts that seem to look like he is paying a lot more attention than he lets on. - Leaning scum

Swamped - Swamped has been generally pro-town posting from what I have seen. Did a weird bandwagon at the beginning and then when it got pointed out gave the classic "oh, I was waiting for someone to notice! Here's why I did it" garbage but has been good about calling out things she finds suspicious but has been a bit exaggerating in calling me dramatic. I could believe that she was scum doing some weird dance to get on the side of a town Darryl but that's a bit far-fetched for my taste at the moment - Slight town read, close to null

TheAwesomePossum - Has been generally useless, 100% dismisses day 1 discussion as not worth his time and used the classic "people who prod are bullies" defense. Might be town, might be scum, I can't get a read on it for sure but definitely not helpful regardless. - Null read

Blargonaut - This is going to be a null read. I've accepted that Blarg won't be helpful until he has something to latch on to and this has been a slow day 1 so far. With that being said though, usually he gives a bit more to go off of and unless the phoenix down thing is a bigger hint than I'm expecting, this isn't usual Blarg play. I'm still waiting for scum Blarg to happen one day, he's going to be super inconsistent. This might be that time but I would rather wait a day phase or two - Null read, slight slight scum possibility only because being less engaged

Xamtheking - Originally, I thought he was obvious scum that was trying to lay back so as not to mess up his team's chances. I've seen backtracked on that just a bit because I thought he might be more toned down in his next showing after seeing the disappointment from his teammate's from werewolf. I'm also more sure of UJ being scum and at the moment, I think Xam would be town if UJ is scum (Xam's alignment would still be an unknown to me if UJ was town or a neutral). - Slight town vibe, close to null though.

Basically, UltraJay and Hyperactivity are my top two scum at the moment, followed by leaning scum on nin, Terra, and Zipped to a lesser extent. I would be fine voting out any of these today but I really want to push UltraJay, the vote for Xam feels very forced and the logic wasn't all there at all.

My null reads are also people that I would be willing to vote out as well except for Blarg. Blarg has proven to be valuable in the past and I'm not going to lose that utility over a lazy policy lynch. If I had to push a null read, I would actually go for TL21xx before any of the other, he needs motivation to play I think, this was an issue in Night Vale as well.

VOTE: UltraJay

Narrative or not Darryl, I hope you understand that it's all in the game, I'm not as blind as you seem to have been posting.

Lulu gazed upon the squabbling legion of dolls with great amusement.

"Oh, I'm on cloud nine!" she exclaimed happily. "Such wonderful strife!"

Out of the corner of her eye, she noticed a different kind of cloud rolling in across the horizon. An amorphous, pitch-black miasma, a cloud of darkness, if you will, was slowly encroaching upon the arena, and soon it would envelop the dolls in its impenetrable blackness.

"Let's wrap this up, darlings," commanded the voluptuous mage as she quickly took tally of the votes, "If I have to execute someone when I can't even see further than eight inches in front of me then I'm just going to muck it up."

blargonaut (3)
pop-o-matic 57 (288)
sorian 228 (290)
seath 275 (391)
hyperactivity 335 (505)
theawesomepossum 389
launchpadmcq 399
terrabyte20xx 636

hyperactivity (0)
sorian 58 (137)
nin1000 95 (136)

sorian (1)