• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[SPOILERS] Star Wars: The Force Awakens (Thread #2) - One Thumb Up

Status
Not open for further replies.

RyanW

M6lMfzw.jpg

You do know who is mother is, right?

Edit: Saw your next post, woops

MMarston

Was getting caught part of your plan?
I posted way early this morning. Here's my speculation.

Going along with the Darth Plagueis is Snoke theory. Rumors from before about Anakin's birth was that Plagueis actually did figure out how to manipulate the force (or midicholorians, whatever) to create life, and therefore he created Anakin (which is why his midicholorian count was off the charts) essentially being his "Father".

What if Snoke is Plaguies, and saw Anakin as a failed attempt, so he tried again with Rey. Creating her. Sure it still leaves it open to who her mother may be. But, this could also explain her connection to Luke/Skywalker's since essentially she is like Anakin's sister.

Edit: Even if Snoke isn't Plaguies, maybe he learned the power of creating life and created Rey. And he was the one who left Rey on Jakku. Would explain why he left her to that asshole merchant guy. Bad guy connections.

Too far fetched?

This is great, but yeah, it's too far fetched of a move this series is willing to take.

Also, it would make the prequels necessary viewing now haha

jstripes

Banned
Seems to me that Rey is lukes daughter and Luke put her in hiding on Jakku after he saw what happened to Kylo and he destroyed his order.

I like the theory that she was one of his most promising trainees, so he mind-wiped her and put her in hiding before Kylo Ren could get to her.

Further explanation on how R2 woke up at the end:

http://www.ew.com/article/2015/12/2...-question-about-r2-d2-star-wars-force-awakens

This was definitely a moment that needed some explaining.

Wow, this is horrible. Putting Luke at the end because they didn't know what to do with him? And R2 had the map because he downloaded the Death Star's database 30 years ago? Why would the Empire know where the first temple is, but the Republic archives wouldn't? I'm not going to say 'lazy' writing because they obviously struggled to make all the pieces fit, but they should've hired a better writer to do so.

The bit about going on a quest to recover information from the sunken remains of the 2nd Death Star sounds pretty awesome though.

jstevenson

Sailor Stevenson
Tried 3D for my second viewing. I actually thought the 3D itself was pretty good...nice depth between the background and foreground that I didn't notice in my 2D viewing, but holy fuck the blurriness and the darkening of the picture was just not worth it.

They've got to find a solution for this with 3D moving forward.

Laser IMAX corrects all of that

TheXbox

To be fair to Williams, this movie's pace is so far off-the-charts compared to the OT, I don't even know if there was enough time to put in a meaninful score, without it being interpreted by banter or a scene change
Not surprisingly, the music shines when there's almost no dialogue. Our intro to Rey, the Jedi Steps, the opening moments of the film, the scene where Rey snatches Luke's saber - in general, I think, the movie could've used some more quietude. The near constant-dialogue stifles any opportunity for the soundtrack to breathe.

Wow, this is horrible. Putting Luke at the end because they didn't know what to do with him? And R2 had the map because he downloaded the Death Star's database 30 years ago? Why would the Empire know where the first temple is, but the Republic archives wouldn't? I'm not going to say 'lazy' writing because they obviously struggled to make all the pieces fit, but they should've hired a better writer to do so.

The bit about going on a quest to recover information from the sunken remains of the 2nd Death Star sounds pretty awesome though.

You have to remember the Republic became the Empire. The new Republic set up shop but the remnants of the Empire probably took everything and high tailed it out of town after the Death Star blew up.

The section with the Rathtars (?) was possibly the weakest part of the film. It just didn't sit right with me; the creatures were a little too obviously CGI and the space pirates seemed to be from a different film. It did make me chuckle though.

What I didn't like in that part is Finn's blatant 'plot armor'. The pirates were eaten immediately by the Rathtars when they were caught, but Finn was dragged around to fuck knows where when HE got caught.

Effect

Someone's post on that R2D2 explanation regarding the novel:

Why in fuck did they cut all this crucial shit from the novel? I don't get it. This is like the 3rd or 4th really needed piece of information that should have been in the movie...

I really need to read the novel and I'm wondering if I should do that before I see the film again.

Honestly reading Revenge of the Sith made the film more enjoyable for me. I saw the movie first, then read the novel and then saw the film again with knowledge of some of the thoughts of the characters,etc. It made everything more enjoyable for me. I fully understand why some stuff isn't done in films but even from a first watching of TFA it's clear some stuff should have been included.

Not surprisingly, the music shines when there's almost no dialogue. Our intro to Rey, the Jedi Steps, the opening moments of the film, the scene where Rey snatches Luke's saber - in general, I think, the movie could've used some more quietude. The near constant-dialogue stifles any opportunity for the soundtrack to breathe.

I totally agree

Dead

well not really...yet
Jedi Steps is definitely amazing and I don't think you could have asked for a better composition to the lead up to Lukes reveal. It was perfect.

Randdalf

Because his work on TFA is rather subpar?

I completely disagree, Rey's Theme is the best thing he's done in years. The soundtrack overall has a lot of great moments in general, but with everything moving at breakneck speed there's not much opportunity for gazing into the binary sunset or watching Yoda lift the X-Wing out of the marsh. Some of the better moments of the film are made by the music: our introduction to Rey; the ending on the island; the arrival of the X-wings.

We also get good themes for Poe Dameron ("I Can Fly Anything"), Finn ("Follow Me"), Kylo Ren ("Kylo Ren Arrives at the Battle", "On The Inside"), even an upbeat march as a counterpoint for the Imperial March ("March of the Resistance"). The end credits music ("Jedi Steps and Finale") is a broad summary of all of these.

I would also point out that Empire Strikes Back is where Star Wars truly became a musical tour de force, the film that introduced Yoda's Theme and more famously the Imperial March, plus classic pieces like "The Asteroid Field".

Ishida

Banned
I really liked the movie, but the constant nostalgia pandering really bothered me. A lot of the movie felt like a rethreading of Episode IV, down to the new "Death Star". While I truly enjoyed the trip, it felt like it somehow lacked an identity of its own.

It starts with the desert planet, and the droid entrusted with some schematics (A map, in this case) who meets with the desert kid, who in turn starts a journey.

Oh! And here's Han Solo! But old! And Leia! But old! Hey! Is that the ball drone that Obi-Wan used to train Luke on board the Millenium Falcon?

I won't lie, I was on the edge of my seat the whole time, and I had goosebumps all over my skin. But after the hype died out a little I felt like the movie, aside from killin Han, played everything too safe. Like it was too much pandering.

I also resented the fact that we don't get explanations for a lot of things, and the universe/galaxy seems kind of unimportant now. Sure, it's great that they are focusing on the characters, but I would also like for them to expand on this new Republic. We are told they exist, and they get blasted to pieces.

Kylo Ren's motivations, so far, seem pretty underwhelming. I get that he was seduced to the Dark Side by Snoke, but... I don't know... I'm still not convinced on his motives. So far I only got that he was angry at Han for being a bad father... I really hope that's not the reason for his turning.

The lightsaber fights were AWESOME, however. Not as slow as in the OT, not as fancy as in the PT, but a nice middle ground. I loved the anger and fury on each slash and clash.

Mmmh... Pretty much this. But I'd give it a 8/10. As I said, I liked it, I really enjoyed the experience. But it was definitely too safe, too much pandering to the OT to the point where it feels too fan-servicey.

Fliesen

btw, Rey always calls it waiting for her "family" - not parents or anything like that.

Family could be fellow Jedi padawans, Space orphans, who knows.

Just pointing out it's not specifically and explicitly "parents"

Oh! And here's Han Solo! But old! And Leia! But old! Hey! Is that the ball drone that Obi-Wan used to train Luke on board the Millenium Falcon?

I
i think many of these callbacks were used really well though. In a way that StarWars enthusiasts would pick up on them and the general audience wouldn't be confused by something that seems out of place. Depending on how much you're into StarWars and its lore, you might have picked up on none, some, many or even all of these callbacks.
Like the ball droid, the gas masks they wore in that Mynok infested cave / throat, the 'garbage' millenium falcon, the Kessel run in 12 parsecs, the Dejarik table ...

I do believe there's plenty of identity to be found in this movie. Especially the jokes were almost entirely fresh and non-recylced.
Such as BB8's antics. Chewie being a big hairy crybaby, the stormtroopers walking backwards, the Jedi mind trick scene.
The only joke i remember being a recycled one was C3PO being 'in the way' of Han and Leia, R2D2 being rude to C3PO, and the "trash compactor" line.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
I like the theory that she was one of his most promising trainees, so he mind-wiped her and put her in hiding before Kylo Ren could get to her.

In the vision it looks like Kylo does get to her, unless she's seeing what her mother saw.

MrHoot

I love that some of the critics I frequently see are "I don't like that it retreads old star wars too much" but then you have right after "Why isn't Kylo Ren more cool like Darth Vader/Maul, why didn't we have a big reveal of family like in episode 5"

Real Hero

n an upbeat march as a counterpoint for the Imperial March ("March of the Resistance").

I would also point out that Empire Strikes Back is where Star Wars truly became a musical tour de force, the film that introduced Yoda's Theme and more famously the Imperial March, plus classic pieces like "The Asteroid Field".
the original has an amazing score, Empire just as an even better one

RyanW

So now that's set in and a lot of us have seen a couple of times do you guys still feel they way you did after first seeing it? Or has the "honeymoon phase" set in?

Dabanton

It means that between corporate and creative they essentially came up with a generic Star Wars checklist of all the things that must be in Star Wars because reasons, and then proceeded to write a script that ticked every box. It's not inherently a bad thing, it just means the film isn't taking chances.

Exactly. You don't call in JJ if you want a risky movie. He is a very safe pair of hands that will get your film in on time and with little to no bumps.

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
Well they really botched that one in the movie.

I wouldn't say botched it. We knew WHERE the map was, and when Artoo turns on 3PO does say "Artoo has found something."

The only links missing are that Artoo had the archives downloaded, and that he woke up when he heard that.

The whole point of the dark side is to fall to seductions and passions. How the fuck does someone get seduced by the light?

"seduced by the light" might very well be one's instincts telling them that they're being a shitty person and should probably stop acting like that, albeit stated more grandiosely.

In the context of Ben, it might also be his Jedi teachings bubbling back up to the surface in the back of his mind.

Nicktendo86

Took my wife to see the phantom of the opera for her birthday and we decided to go to an 11:15pm showing on the way home, so glad we did!

Loved it. Knew most of the plot already due to the spoilers which was a shame but enjoyed it nonetheless. Only complaint is Daisy Ridley needs to tone it down a bit.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
It's really stupid when you think about it: if R2 turned on before they left for Starkiller, they would have had the complete map and could have possibly gotten Luke. Not sure it would have changed much, but maybe Han could have waited for Luke before deciding on going on Starkiller.

Fireblend

Banned

I mostly agree, though there are like 5 cons that are pretty much the same one and it seems like you kept rephrasing it just to make the picture larger :p I specially agree with your criticism to Han and Leia's relationship though - their only and last meaningful conversation was an uninspired exposition piece that didn't really say anything anyone who had been watching the movie didn't already know.

diaspora

"seduced by the light" might very well be one's instincts telling them that they're being a shitty person and should probably stop acting like that, albeit stated more grandiosely.

In the context of Ben, it might also be his Jedi teachings bubbling back up to the surface in the back of his mind.

My issue isn't with fighting to stay with the darkside, just describing it as a seduction as idiotic.

Lol this is total codswallop. They didn't even have R2 wake up because of BB8 saying anything to her, she just wakes up.

Why do you keep referring to R2 as a girl? the droid is constantly referred to as a "he".

Threepio: "Uh, I'm quite sure you'll be very pleased with that one,
sir. He really is in first-class condition. I've worked with him
before. Here he comes.""

The whole point of the dark side is to fall to seductions and passions. How the fuck does someone get seduced by the light?

Because empathy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom