• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rumor: Sonic Adventure coming to XBLA

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Wren said:
Disregarding the fact that the gameplay hasn't aged well, what the hell is with the story in in adventure? Hell what the hell is with the story in all 3D sonic games?

SA1 - Chaos god of destruction
SA2 - Genetically engineered anthropomorphic hedgehogs, Implanted memories, Secret experiments to create the ultimate weapon.
Sonic 2k6 - Eternal destroyer (or whatever the hell it was called), Sonic's love interest, telekinetic rodents.
Unleashed - Dark Gia, hogwolf(?).

Seriously? I wish they had simply stayed with the 'Oh no Doc Robotnik is kidnapping all your animal friends, go kick his ass' plot instead of creating all of this heavy over the top drama crap for a game about a cartoon rodent.

Three groups of people like Sonic:
1) Oldschool platforming fans. These people want no story, no friends (except for maybe Tails and Knuckles), and games that follow Sonic 2 and Sonic 3.

2) Kids. These people want some story, BADASS AWESOME FRIENDS, and don't really care about the games; Lego game-style button mashing with minor platforming would probably be the ideal gameplay.

3) Sonic Fans. These people have no idea what the fuck they want, love Silver and Shadow and all the other "fun" characters even if they end up incessantly complaining about everything Sonic related.

You can see what a bind Sega is in if they want to sell to all three groups.

Tbh, Calling the SA1 Adventure just Chaos is a understatement

Robotnik wanted to use Chaos, So arguably Robotnik was the villain. Chaos just spiralled out of control

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
dark10x said:
SA1 was more ambitious, but Unleashed was a *MUCH* better game.
Sonic Adventure had the benefit of Sonic's first proper outing in a full-3D world, Mario 64 style. I'm willing to let problems slide. It was an experimental, brave and -- yes -- ambitious game. It was not totally successful, not by a long shot, but there's something 'innocent' about it, in a weird way.

Unleashed had no excuses. It was a poorly made, rushed game that, I'd imagine, very few would defend if it didn't have the Sonic name attached to it and some pretty graphics.

Wren said:
Disregarding the fact that the gameplay hasn't aged well, what the hell is with the story in in adventure? Hell what the hell is with the story in all 3D sonic games?

SA1 - Chaos god of destruction
SA2 - Genetically engineered anthropomorphic hedgehogs, Implanted memories, Secret experiments to create the ultimate weapon.
Sonic 2k6 - Eternal destroyer (or whatever the hell it was called), Sonic's love interest, telekinetic rodents.
Unleashed - Dark Gia, hogwolf(?).

Seriously? I wish they had simply stayed with the 'Oh no Doc Robotnik is kidnapping all your animal friends, go kick his ass' plot instead of creating all of this heavy over the top drama crap for a game about a cartoon rodent.
I don't think "Robotnik enlists the help of some powerful ancient force to help his world domination" strays too far from the original formula, but I'll agree that SA2 and 2k6 had needlessly complex plots for a platforming game about a blue hedgehog.

I might as well just ask it here but back when the Dreamcast was called Katana there was a rumor in a magazine of a Sonic & Knuckles RPG being developed, it was supposed to be a retelling of S3&K as an adventure game or something like that

Was it just wishful thinking from the magazine or was SA really once called Sonic & Knuckles RPG?

It kind of makes sense if you think about, a lot of story elements from SA were ripped directly from S3&K

this was of course at least a year before SA was revealed, which the same magazine said was like "a playable CG":lol

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
Stumpokapow said:
1) Oldschool platforming fans. These people want no story, no friends (except for maybe Tails and Knuckles), and games that follow Sonic 2 and Sonic 3.

2) Kids. These people want some story, BADASS AWESOME FRIENDS, and don't really care about the games; Lego game-style button mashing with minor platforming would probably be the ideal gameplay.

3) Sonic Fans. These people have no idea what the fuck they want, love Silver and Shadow and all the other characters even if they end up incessantly complaining about everything Sonic related.

I say there is a 4th, a small group of people who disliked the 2D games, but enjoyed the two Adventure games.

Rez said:
Sonic Adventure had the benefit of Sonic's first proper outing in a full-3D world, Mario 64 style. I'm willing to let problems slide. It was an experimental, brave and -- yes -- ambitious game. It was not totally successful, not by a long shot, but there's something 'innocent' about it, in a weird way.

Unleashed had no excuses. It was a poorly made, rushed game that, I'd imagine, very few would defend if it didn't have the Sonic name attached to it and some pretty graphics.

That's nice and all, doesn't change the fact that Unleashed is objectively a much better playing game.

racerx77 said:
Did the PC version of SA run at 60fps?

Of course.

Fun Factor

Formerly FTWer
Rez said:

Unleashed may have been rushed out (especially in some aspects), but it definitely was NOT poorly made.
If anything it didn't have the Sonic name & was a new IP, no one would be bitching about the action segments & comparing them to every other Sonic game.

RPGCrazied

Not enough people in here wanting Skies of Arcadia makes me sad. lol

Thats one awesome RPG, id pay 30-40$ for that.. specially with some achievements.. don't nerf the music this time! the cube version was hit pretty hard.

The Wispy Scoundrel said:
Please be true. Please. It will save me buying my tenth Dreamcast in a years time when I inevitably get the urge to play through the killer whale level.

Why would you need to buy a Dreamcast anyway? For $5 you could have had a superior 60fps any time you'd have liked within the last 5+ years. Sonic Adventure will play on any piece of crap PC at 60fps just fine.

brain_stew said:
Why would you need to buy a Dreamcast anyway? For $5 you could have had a superior 60fps any time you'd have liked within the last 5+ years. Sonic Adventure will play on any piece of crap PC at 60fps just fine.

I thought the PC version was missing some of the effects, namely the water (which could have been the cause of the GC version's extra slowdown in some spots).

Here's a weird thought for you: all the voice files are stored externally in the PC version of SADX. Really easy to change out, if memory serves. Do you think Sega would redub the game with the current voice cast to avoid any concerns of paying the old cast (even though they probably flat-out own that voicework), while simultaneously putting a "fresh" spin on the game?

There would be some benefits ("Watch out, you're going to crash AAAAAAH."), some losses (Deem Bristow). It's unlikely they'd do it, but it's not impossible, and unlike things like changing animations or adding missions, it wouldn't be very hard to implement.

Rocksteady33

Stumpokapow said:

3) Sonic Fans. These people have no idea what the fuck they want, love Silver and Shadow and all the other characters even if they end up incessantly complaining about everything Sonic related.

What about the people, like me, who only really enjoyed Sonic Adventure 1 & 2 and are waiting on a true successor to those?

KAL2006

Banned
what the fuck this has reached page 5. Damn did not know Sonic Adventure was this popular :lol . It's going to be funny when everyone plays this game for 15 mins and realise how shitty it is. Nostalgia can make you blind sometimes.

Kulock said:
I thought the PC version was missing some of the effects, namely the water (which could have been the cause of the GC version's extra slowdown in some spots).

Any potential odd missing water effect (no idea if there is but this XBLA release will be ported from the PC, so it'll be missing there as well) pales in comparison to the huge and actually worthwile improvement the visuals receive from running at 60fps in high resolution with gobs of AA and AF.

Teknoman

Jonsoncao said:
so this XBLA version is called Director's Cut, and it is still 4:3, sux...

That was assumed but not confirmed. Virtual On is widescreen with no borders as is Outrun. This isnt just some backbone port (I hope).

FTWer said:
Unleashed may have been rushed out (especially in some aspects), but it definitely was NOT poorly made.
If anything it didn't have the Sonic name & was a new IP, no one would be bitching about the action segments & comparing them to every other Sonic game.
This might surprise you, but there are many people who think Unleashed is poorly made, regardless of whether or not it can compare to the classic Sonics and the gameplay in them. And you know why? Because it is.

Firestorm

Stumpokapow said:

Actually I think the last two groups will eat whatever the hell it is up as long as it says Sonic so I think Sega knows what it should do!

Actually they don't, but I know what they should do!

Stumpokapow said:

I call bullshit. You can still like Sonic and have common sense at the same time... it's just extremely rare. They need to do a Nintendo, go into obscurity, tune everyone out, and focus on quality.

It dawned on me. More than any Dreamcast game, I think the one post-16bit Sega game I'd like to see on XBLA is NiGHTS. NiGHTS could also deftly avoid the situation of "the Saturn is difficult to emulate" seeing as Sega released a PS2 port of NiGHTS in Japan three or four years ago (right before the PS3 launched). The source code for that is undoubtedly still kicking around. It has to be!

NiGHTS is the perfect fit for XBLA; it is a game tailored for pick-up-and play mechanics and centers around high scores and leaderboards.

If the NiGHTS community needs to be petitioning for NiGHTS to be in something, it really should be this.

Alpha_eX

From what i've just heard, the game is even WORSE than DX, much buggier and it looks worse than the GC version, where they've tried and failed to improve the textures.

Afterburner Climax looks and plays a lot better according to this person ;)

Peff

Looks like a PC port alright, and not a good one:lol . So the Extend Pack is the mission and Trial modes? I wonder if it has the 8-bit games...

30fps with slowdown!? :lol

I'll stick to my 60fps super sampled PC version, thanks. How the hell did they get it to perform so poorly? Definitely seems like a straight PC port gone horribly wrong.

Wait wait wait, what's this about DC games being put up on PSN? Are they up on the debug PSN right now? what games are up!?

Sod Sonic Adventure, I want Crazy Taxi!

Nuclear Muffin said:
Wait wait wait, what's this about DC games being put up on PSN? Are they up on the debug PSN right now? what games are up!?

These aren't DC games. They're cheap PC ports.

brain_stew said:
30fps with slowdown!? :lol

I'll stick to my 60fps super sampled PC version, thanks. How the hell did they get it to perform so poorly? Definitely seems like a straight PC port gone horribly wrong.
Code was shit enough on cube, porting that to pc and then to 360 I am not surprised.

I will buy it for cheap anyway to add to my xbox live sonic collection of games but I was expecting nothing but cube performance which was 60 with major 30fps drops...

Shame they didn't do a FoV change with the camera for in-game to make it widescreen, might cock up some cut scenes, oh what am I saying sega won't spend more then a few lunch breaks on this port.

*edit* no FSAA at all? seriously? oh come on sega I would think you could make this game run ok with some anti analysing.

Nuclear Muffin said:

those screens were taken from the XBLA version

Diablohead said:
Code was shit enough on cube, porting that to pc and then to 360 I am not surprised.

I will buy it for cheap anyway to add to my xbox live sonic collection of games but I was expecting nothing but cube performance which was 60 with major 30fps drops...

Shame they didn't do a FoV change with the camera for in-game to make it widescreen, might cock up some cut scenes, oh what am I saying sega won't spend more then a few lunch breaks on this port.

*edit* no FSAA at all? seriously? oh come on sega I would think you could make this game run ok with some anti analysing.

The thing is the PC version runs fine enough for what it is, a system much less capable than the 360 will manage to run it at a constant 60fps no bother. You'd have to be going seriously out of your way to get performance this bad.

The game has very agressive popin, and when you enable widescreen on an emulated DC version it'll be glitchy as hell with stuff popping in all over the place. In other words, adding in widescreen would have took some amount of effort, so it had no chance of making it into this port.

Looking at those screens more, I an wondering if they are somehow emulating the game, because it's in a window with trim and I would think they are going to allow window resizing. If they ported this over would they not just make it run 4:3 with black/detailed bars on the side only? doesn't feel right.

Diablohead said:
Looking at those screens more, I an wondering if they are somehow emulating the game, because it's in a window with trim and I would think they are going to allow window resizing. If they ported this over would they not just make it run 4:3 with black/detailed bars on the side only? doesn't feel right.

Nah, its gotta be a port of the PC version. SADX was never released for DC and it seems to be missing the GCN exclusive visual effects (plus emulating the GCN would be very hard to pull off and Nintendo would never allow it to happen anyway)

Porting the PC version is much much easier (yet it looks like Sega have managed to screw up a trivial port anyway :lol)

intheinbetween said:
sorry guys I had to take away the screens

Well I haven't signed any NDA, so I don't! :lol :lol

1z48nlh.jpg

2zs02lz.jpg

fm52x5.jpg

33ojh9w.jpg

Shots from the PC version for reference (this is definitely a direct port):

n6coic.jpg

2u6o2h2.jpg

2m4f1hd.jpg

This of course runs at a perfect 60fps all the time (making it the ultimate version) even with bags of supersampling.

strikeselect

You like me, you really really like me!
Question. What's the difference between the DX version and the original Dreamcast Sonic Adventure?

I never played DX, only the OG on Dreamcast.

Here's a PC screen at "Xbox quality" taken at the the same spot as those Partnernet leaked pics. Should help confirm it is indeed a direct PC port:

qzoe8k.jpg

Cerrius said:
Question. What's the difference between the DX version and the original Dreamcast Sonic Adventure?

I never played DX, only the OG on Dreamcast.
I don't remember everything but player models improved (look worse to me), gamegear roms to unlock, some extra missions tackled on, 30 more emblems (I think) and some other things, a few texture adjustments etc.

640x480 with a border? :lol

This is a Backbone port, right? It has to be. Even on my PC, a PC that can at times struggle to run TF2 on "Low" settings, can run Sonic Adventure DX at this resolution, locked at 60fps:

(click to enlarge)

Holy shit, Sega. This is a new level of lazy.

Sega1991 said:
640x480 with a border? :lol

This is a Backbone port, right? It has to be. Even on my PC, a PC that can at times struggle to run TF2 on "Low" settings, can run Sonic Adventure DX at this resolution, locked at 60fps:
(click to enlarge)

Holy shit, Sega. This is a new level of lazy.

Seriously, I just can't understand how they can get such shit performance out of even the laziest straight PC port. They must be going out of their way to wreck performance, as they're making Xenos perform worse than Intel integrated graphics, that's a whole new level of absysmal.

Edit:

Wait, how are you getting widescreen in those shots? Is there some hack/mod that I'm unaware of?

Did the pc (or cube) version fix the glitch with beating sonic's game without the charge bracelet, beat everyone else
to unlock super sonic
and then playing the extra stage grab the bracelet to make the game save?

I want to do that on this version for the lulz.

Top Bottom