• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Tales of Symphonia PC-Port is a mess!

So. Tales of came out on PC. Everyone was looking forward to a nice version.

This is what we got.

1. The games resolution is locked internal at 720p, no matter what resolution you choose. Look at that:

0A42AFDF6018038159052377FF65AF85D0C0CB98

Thanks to CertifiedFP.

2.The different languages are broken, since they used a wrong font and some words dont even show up. And some things havent even been translated into other languages:

3.These things are just saved in a simple txt file:

4.The game is locked at 30fps, but some people can run it at 40 fps:

5.It has new typos:

6.It still partially uses Ps3-Button-controls:

7. Random crashes for some people. The Overlay could lead to that.

8. Only 6 save slots.

9. Opening the config and save menu can take 30 seconds to load.

10.It uses a DRM thats called VMProtect, that creates a new *.exe everytime the game starts.

11. And something to chuckle about. Apparently the one who is in charge of the discussionforums for this port was called "Lazy Mofo" on Steam. After being called out, he changed his Steam name.

BY2K

Membero Americo
There's a fucking excel sheet for the localization in the game files and accessible at will!?

Saying this is a mess is putting it mildly.

Even WB would blush with shame.

I'm so glad I didn't buy this port let alone pre-order Zestiria just to get this game for free.

This is an huge slap in the face and I for one I'm a huge Tales of fan and I find this port to be absolutely terrible.

Yawnier

Banned
As I said in the other thread the PS3 remaster that was based on the PS2 version of this game wasn't even that great to begin with (30 fps, etc.). But this is a disaster and it sucks seeing a great game like this get such a lazy port.

orochi91

As I said in the other thread the PS3 remaster that was based on the PS2 version of this game wasn't even that great to begin with (30 fps, etc.). But this is a disaster and it sucks seeing a great game like this get such a lazy port.

Give it a couple months.

Mods will have have this up and running properly someday.

Zafir

At least I got my pre-orders worth in hilarity of how bad the port is!

Yikes, not looking so hot.

I mean cold!

Actually I mean hot.

:D

It's quite an achievement that it somehow managed to be worse than the PS3 version.

MUnited83

For you.
The game is a crap port altogether, but the most mindboggling thing is their DRM choice. WHY? Why would you choose such a crappy fucking DRM? Why would you care about people pirating a game that can already be widely pirated and run at a much better state than this one?
Who was the crazy guy that decided this?

To the surprise of no-one, most japanese devs just don't care about PC

+1
The things is that Namco has made quite a few good ports. They can do it if they want to.

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
so basically you're better off with an emulated Gamecube version than the native PC release?

in 2016?

Dryk

6 save slots? Now when I talk about how amazing it was that this game had nigh-unlimited saves I'll just look silly.

Corpekata

Banned
Make sure to preorder Tales of Beseria. It'll include a port of Tales of Vesperia that causes jolts of electricity to surge through any gamepads connected while playing.

MUnited83

For you.
The DRM is really the ultimate insult.

Hey guys, let's put idiotic drm on a game that anyone who wanted to pirate it already did long ago. We will deliver a super barebones port and put useless drm on it that can make it harder for modders to fix up their shit.

Who was in charge of this stupidity

Falk

that puzzling face
10.It uses a DRM thats called VMProtect, that creates a new *.exe everytime the game starts.

11. And something to chuckle about. Apparently the one who is in charge of the discussionforums for this port was called "Lazy Mofo" on Steam. After being called out, he changed his Steam name.

I swear, you intentionally ordered these in ascending order of hilarity.

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
holy shit.

here I was naively expecting an easily moddable 30fps lock and nothing else too glaring.

Nanashrew

Banned
so basically you're better off with an emulated Gamecube version than the native PC release?

in 2016?

Yep. There's even an high-res texture pack for that, that cleans up the UI, characters, and character art and looks rather good in keeping the tone of the game. It's still in WIP I believe but looks good.

Carlius

Banned
To the surprise of no-one, most japanese devs just don't care about PC

thats just not true at all. Namco has taken PC very well after they saw the success it can have with dark souls. Konami too and a bunch of other japanese developers whoa re wiloling to go the PC route as well.

Generalizing like that is just plain ignorant.

Firestorm

So this is what pushed me over the edge on pre-ordering Zestiria on Steam?

That said, Zestiria was great on PC. This is a helluva step back.

Brazil

Living in the shadow of Amaz
Jesus Christ, Bamco. How expensive can it be to do a decent PC port of one of your most loved games ever?

Game companies are so freaking dense sometimes it boggles the mind. Poor PR people, I tell you.

rjc571

Banned
Holy fucking wow, I mean it's one thing if a port sucks because the developer doesn't care about making it good, but these guys actually WENT OUT OF THERE WAY to make it as bad as possible!

Yep. There's even an high-res texture pack for that, that cleans up the UI, characters, and character art and looks rather good in keeping the tone of the game. It's still in WIP I believe but looks good.
Welp, I'd just dumped DOTNW to play it after playing this, may as well uninstall the port and then dump the GC version. The HD UI is really all it needs anyway.

Top Bottom