• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Oxenfree |OT| Alle Alle Auch Sind Frei

Karish

Not sure what ending everyone got, but mine had me
bringing Michael back from the dead essentially
and I cried.

IzzyF3

I've been trying to get my PS4 controller to work on this game, but it seems to ignore any remapping I try on the Steam client. Anyone know what I can do about this problem?

xir

Likely to be eaten by a grue
I've been trying to get my PS4 controller to work on this game, but it seems to ignore any remapping I try on the Steam client. Anyone know what I can do about this problem?

PC or OSX? What are you using?

Kyonashi

So now this has been out for a while, what would people say is the preferred control scheme? Buy it now on PC or wait for the PS4 port?

I have no problem waiting, I have plenty to play. Just want to experience it the best way.

So now this has been out for a while, what would people say is the preferred control scheme? Buy it now on PC or wait for the PS4 port?

I have no problem waiting, I have plenty to play. Just want to experience it the best way.
What do you mean by preferred control scheme? Game supports controllers, I've been using my Elite Xbox One controller from my bed for most of my playthrough. 4K support has finally been fixed so the PC version is definitely the one to spring for.

GlamFM

Banned
Why do I keep missing games these days?

So hard to keep track of everything.

Heard about this today for the first time in the YT comment section watching a Firewatch video.

This looks like something I need to play.

Could get it for my XB1, but I would prefer to play it on my PS4.

Any word on when the PS4 version might come out?

Gamespot's "no rewind" penalty is so bizzare to dock points for the review. Nevertheless, the idea of blending convetsation and agency is what interested me in the first place.

poutmeter

I played the game about 2 weeks ago or so, but I can't recall this feature. I know my brain is crap, but could you elaborate?

When you are given guidance by Alex's 'reflections', you can see another player's gamer tag displayed above the reflection's head. It might be hard to make out since it's reversed, but it's there. That's why your own ID shows up at the end of the game, when you're the one choosing the answers for future players.

Kyonashi

What do you mean by preferred control scheme? Game supports controllers, I've been using my Elite Xbox One controller from my bed for most of my playthrough. 4K support has finally been fixed so the PC version is definitely the one to spring for.

Well I mean for example, Her Story is a game which is better to control with a M+KB. Is this a game that *feels* good with traditional PC controls, or does it suit a controller more? If the answer is the latter then I'll wait, pick it up on PS4 and play it from my couch. I don't have a 4K monitor so that's kind of a moot point for me.

robotrock

Banned
When you are given guidance by Alex's 'reflections', you can see another player's gamer tag displayed above the reflection's head. It might be hard to make out since it's reversed, but it's there. That's why your own ID shows up at the end of the game, when you're the one choosing the answers for future players.

Yeah!
I had finished it without realizing why that gamertag thing happened, but then my friend played through it a few hours after me and saw my answers.

deejay

Thanks for that, I somehow completely missed that :)

Well I mean for example, Her Story is a game which is better to control with a M+KB. Is this a game that *feels* good with traditional PC controls, or does it suit a controller more? If the answer is the latter then I'll wait, pick it up on PS4 and play it from my couch. I don't have a 4K monitor so that's kind of a moot point for me.
I played it a bit with M+K but strongly preferred using a controller. I don't think it's a deal-breaker, though.

Ekai

This is already my contender for GOTY 2016. It will be incredibly hard to beat. Sound design, va, character, story and unique gameplay mechanics that actually have a purpose in the story itself, etc. This game does all of that and it does it amazingly. Such a damn good game.

Given how small this OT is, I can tell the game is already being criminally ignored. Especially over something really just....eh like Firewatch.

xir

Likely to be eaten by a grue
This is already my contender for GOTY 2016. It will be incredibly hard to beat. Sound design, va, character, story and unique gameplay mechanics that actually have a purpose in the story itself, etc. This game does all of that and it does it amazingly. Such a damn good game.

Given how small this OT is, I can tell the game is already being criminally ignored. Especially over something really just....eh like Firewatch.

I expect a big second wind when the PS4 copy comes out. Firewatch is still an amazing game, but line for line, this hit me more. Outside of some similarities it's
tesseract
apples to pinecones though.

mbpm1

Firewatch is good. But this was also, just in another way

Ekai

I expect a big second wind when the PS4 copy comes out. Firewatch is still an amazing game, but line for line, this hit me more. Outside of some similarities it's
tesseract
apples to pinecones though.

Well, Firewatch has also had a lot of hype and buzz surrounding it. Which is funny since
it seems everyone is disappointed in the game.
So I'm not surprised it's more popular as far as recent story-ish games go. It had lots of articles, advertising, etc. etc. going for it. That said comparing the games, I agree, doesn't make much sense. Rather considered the comparison as recent games that do have a focus on dialogue choices and story. That said both games do it in vastly different ways.

I just wish Oxenfree had the exposure that Firewatch has gotten. It deserves it.

Firewatch is good. But this was also, just in another way

I like some of what Firewatch does. That said, I can completely see why
people are less than happy about it. It's a game built on deception that hypes you up for one thing and results in being a very personal thing. Which is nice but it's certainly not something people expected or really seem to want. That said Firewatch, once you get past it's opening, had lots of quality writing/va going for it. The ending portion of it just kinda wraps things up too pleasantly and it just makes the whole game feel like it's..."there", if that makes sense. Which I guess is the point.

But this isn't a Firewatch thread.

To veer back to Oxenfree, I'll just say that it's is one of the few games I can see myself replaying over and over again. It's so incredibly nuanced. The detail, the world-building, the way the gameplay and story intermingled together, etc. etc .Also, Alex is probably my favorite female protagonist in gaming in a while too. Her writing was both broad and intelligent and the va handled it perfectly. Just, ugh. Such a fantastic game. I'll talk in more detail later on it, just wanted to say that I really loved this game a lot.

I just finished this game and the mirror scene brought a smile to my face. I think I may play through it again as I don't have anything on the horizon until Quantum Break.

This was such a great game. Had a few good laughs at certain lines too. I think my only gripe is the constant interruption of lines, but if that is intentional I can respect that. It did create a really natural flow.

This was such a great game. Had a few good laughs at certain lines too. I think my only gripe is the constant interruption of lines, but if that is intentional I can respect that. It did create a really natural flow.

The conversations were really top notch. Definitely the most natural video game conversations I've ever heard. I'll be keeping an eye out for their future games.

This game Delivered, Firewatch had potential but I was disappointed with the late stages. Oxenfree was recommended to me by a gaffer, I had no idea about this game at all. Its crazy how under the radar this game is, it deserves more attention, the story great, voice work great and great character building.

Reedirect

Firewatch is great, but would choose Oxenfree any day of the week.

I really enjoyed spending a day with this game. Excellent writing and acting and just plain beautiful visuals (reminded me of Song of the Sea at times). It was just a pleasure to explore the island.

The story was interesting, even if many won't find the ending(s) satisfying.

Ekai

I really enjoyed spending a day with this game. Excellent writing and acting and just plain beautiful visuals (reminded me of Song of the Sea at times). It was just a pleasure to explore the island.

I found the ending(s) pretty satisfying myself. It ends
beautifully and tragically
if you think about it.

mbpm1

Cool, I didn't know Song of the Sea was a thing until you brought it up. Will check out

nOoblet16

Started playing it and I like it.
But I have one major complaint with the game, the dialogues go too fast with multiple characters following up without breaks like an Aaron Sorkin script (or atleast they have so far). That coupled up with the really short window for making a dialogue choice make it bad. Sometimes the dialogue bubble will disappear before you even have a chance to read all the choices and make sense of it with the context of the conversation.

I've never liked time limited dialogue options in games especially when all the dialogues are time limited throughout the game because very rarely do developers get the timing right. It also assumes everyone thinks and understands speech at the same pace, which in itself is a mistake. Then there is another thing about cutting off NPC conversations even if you don't want to (but still want to ask a question) because if you don't then you'll miss the chance to say anything as the dialogue box will disappear.

I get that they were trying to making it like a real conversation but in a real conversation you have more context, you know about the other person a lot more and have past experiences, which could be relevant to current conversations that could go back years, in fact this is one reason why conversations with a stranger is slower than conversation with someone you already know. Add to that, in real life conversations I can wait until the person speaking is done talking and in case I miss something I can just say " I beg your pardon" or "Could you repeat that once again?". In short the conversations need to rest/slow down a bit once in a while maybe by having some characters that speak slower or something else, otherwise it feels artificial like those Sorkin scripts again.

BTA

Dangerously, my friends and I are attempting to finish this game tonight during finals week before our spring break happens and we have to wait a week to wrap it up. If someone would like to aid us in knowing when to call off that attempt and go study, we left off
right after we were told about going to send the signal to open the bunker door
. About how many hours would you say we have left?

Dangerously, my friends and I are attempting to finish this game tonight during finals week before our spring break happens and we have to wait a week to wrap it up. If someone would like to aid us in knowing when to call off that attempt and go study, we left off
Maybe two hours or less

Ekai

Not much longer. It's not a very long game really. I finished my first play-through in about 5 hours or so. That said
optional things that you can find are going to open up soon that will lengthen the game time and add dialogue options to things towards the end. Won't say more than that.

gamz

I just saw this game last night and I was wondering about it. Looks good from the comments. I'll check this out.

BTA

Thanks guys; we finished it and really enjoyed it a lot!

Though another question-
we didn't get all the letters or messages. We've also been told there's some part of this that's ARG-related. Is it worth replaying to get the collectibles we missed, since that'll open stuff up? Or just move on to the ARG? Or...

EDIT:

Also, I feel conflicted about
passing on the advice we got to not let Jonas talk to his mom, when we actually have no idea whether they gave that advice based on experience or not
and that's a neat thing to feel.

mbpm1

Played through a bit of this at a friend's house to show him how good it was. After a a few minutes of watching me he took over and played for about 2 hours.

He really liked it although he thought the music at the beginning was off putting.

wouwie

So this comes out soon on PS4 and has good scores and player feedback. I'm interested but i'm wondering what type of game this is? Is it traditional point & click adventure with inventory? Or is it more dialogue based with branches in the story depending on the actions you take? And in what way is it horror? I'm not a big fan of horror games in general. I realise i could look it up and watch some gameplay videos but i have the impression that you want to avoid spoilers for this game as much as possible?

Anyone who would want to give a very short summary of what the game is about and how much of it is horror?

Top Bottom