• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Help me decide which old JRPG to play next...

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
I guess I should post my own classic JRPG backlog in this thread to maybe get some tips on what path I should take through all these games:

Already finished:
Final Fantasy IV
Swrod of Mana

The Backlog:
Secret of Mana
Final Fantasy V -- IX (already in the middle of V)
Radiant Historia (midway through)
Chrono Trigger (midway through but will probably start over)
Chrono Cross
Solatorobo (kinda early in)
Dragon Quest V
Dragon Quest VIII (will the 3DS version require the new 3DS?)
Dragon Quest IX (midway. people don't seem to like it but I'm enjoying it so far)
Golden Sun Dark Dawn (same)
Mother
Earthbound
Kyuuyaku Megami Tensei
Shin Megami Tensei
Shin Megami Tensei II
Shin Megami Tensei IV (kinda early in, how important is III?)
Tales of the Abyss
Tales of Vesperia
Tactics Ogre: Let Us Cling Together
Breath of Fire IV
Vagrant Story (midway, will probably restart)
Grandia 1 (already played 2)
Legend of Dragoon

Chrono Trigger, FF5, DQ5, Earthbound, Vesperia, and Grandia are absolute musts (in that order). I wasn't huge into it but knowing a bit about your tastes Vagrant Story would probably be very much up your alley. Radiant Historia, Secret of Mana, DQ8 and Abyss are also worth playing eventually... I would not recommend Mother 1 due to its extremely grindy nature (though if you're not opposed to using cheats it'll probably be an interesting 15 hour historical curio).

There are SO MANY good RPGs out there it's not even funny. If you haven't played any of the Suikoden, Phantasy Star, Wild Arms, Baten Kaitos, Lunar games, Lufia 2, Emerald Dragon, Live A Live, those might be others to look into... Even the 'average' or the forgotten RPGs still have a ton to offer, too.

SephLuis

I guess I should post my own classic JRPG backlog in this thread to maybe get some tips on what path I should take through all these games:

Already finished:
Final Fantasy IV
Swrod of Mana

The Backlog:
Secret of Mana
Final Fantasy V -- IX (already in the middle of V)
Radiant Historia (midway through)
Chrono Trigger (midway through but will probably start over)
Chrono Cross
Solatorobo (kinda early in)
Dragon Quest V
Dragon Quest VIII (will the 3DS version require the new 3DS?)
Dragon Quest IX (midway. people don't seem to like it but I'm enjoying it so far)
Golden Sun Dark Dawn (same)
Mother
Earthbound
Kyuuyaku Megami Tensei
Shin Megami Tensei
Shin Megami Tensei II
Shin Megami Tensei IV (kinda early in, how important is III?)
Tales of the Abyss
Tales of Vesperia
Tactics Ogre: Let Us Cling Together
Breath of Fire IV
Vagrant Story (midway, will probably restart)
Grandia 1 (already played 2)
Legend of Dragoon

Try to finish what you already started.

From your list, my favorites are FF IX, Chrono Cross and Tales of Vesperia. I would recommend starting those after you finished some in your list.

Squalor

I'm nearing the midpoint of Tales of Symphonia on the PlayStation 3.

I beat the original, but I never played Dawn of the New World.

I'm trying to decide if I should start it right afterward or if I should switch to a different series after I finish Symphonia.

SephLuis

I'm nearing the midpoint of Tales of Symphonia on the PlayStation 3.

I beat the original, but I never played Dawn of the New World.

I'm trying to decide if I should start it right afterward or if I should switch to a different series after I finish Symphonia.

DotN is something odd. If you take it as an epilogue and go not expecting nothing, you might enjoy. If you expect a follow-up just like Symphonia, you're doomed to not like the game.

It's also a shorter game, around 40 hours to complete.

Try the beginning of DotN and if the fatigue is too strong, change and play it later.

Squalor

DotN is something odd. If you take it as an epilogue and go not expecting nothing, you might enjoy. If you expect a follow-up just like Symphonia, you're doomed to not like the game.

It's also a shorter game, around 40 hours to complete.

Try the beginning of DotN and if the fatigue is too strong, change and play it later.
Ha, always disappointing when a sequel doesn't come through.

No matter what, its existence can never be forgotten.

Thanks for the input, by the way.

Fusebox

Banned
So I put an hour into Suikoden 1, man this game has some old mechanics and ugly menus lol. I asbolutely love the character art, especially the way they look during battles but it'd be nice if I knew what the turn order is. :p

I think it's just a little too old and stiff coming off the back of Trails in the Sky SC so I've decided to put Suikoden on the back of the backburner and I started the FF Type-0 fan translation this morning instead.

impact

Banned
Type-0... not a wise choice unless you really like bite sized map sections.

Oath in Felghana is what you should have played. On PC.

Final Fantasy V or Final Fantasy VI.

Play V if you wan't to see one of the greatest Job Systems in JRPGs. VI is a classic, don't listen to ProfessorBeef.

Fusebox

Banned
Type-0... not a wise choice unless you really like bite sized map sections.

Oath in Felghana is what you should have played. On PC.

I don't mind bite-size sections, I play all these games on the bus and train so that style of game usually works out well.

On the other hand, what I played of Oath was terrific (apart from the voice acting) but just visually a bit too similar to Trails.

Gaah, decisions decisions! I might stick with Type-0 for a while, it sure is purty.

Top Bottom