• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

RTTP: The Pokemon. All 721 of them, and counting.

I remember the novelty of a flying type learning a fighting move. I had no idea what Close Combat was, but I let my Staraptor learn it anyway.

Then I used it and it slaughtered the poor CPU opponents, and I had the best feeling. Especially since the animation for the attack looked amazing, and I was just picturing my Staraptor assaulting anything that got in its way with a flurry of talon kicks and pecks.

Macka

Right, starter rankings again. I'm only ranking the first stages of each line, and am not taking their evolutions into account.

Grass
1. Treecko
2. Chespin
3. Bulbasaur
4. Snivy
5. Chikorita
6. Turtwig

Grass first stage starters are all pretty great looking (with the exception of Turtwig) imo. Treecko is the clear standout though.

Fire
1. Charmander
2. Torchic
3. Fennekin
4. Chimchar
5. Tepig
6. Cyndaquil

Fire starter are very hit or miss. I love the first three here (and Charmander is still the GOAT), but Chimchar, Tepig and Cyndaquil do nothing for me.

Water
1. Squirtle
2. Totodile
3. Froakie
4. Piplup
5. Mudkip
6. Oshawott

Squirtle, Totodile, Froakie and Piplup are all fantastic, but Mudkip and Oshawott are terrible.

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
lnnX7jB.png

#399 - Bidoof
Normal

Bidoof is Sinnoh's Regional Rodent, and while he's definitely not as powerful and useful as the Starly line he's not totally without merit as there are quite a few points about him that help him stand out from the other rodents. First of all, Bidoof introduced two new rather unique Abilities in Simple and Unaware---Simple causes all buffs and debuffs done to Bidoof to double in effectiveness, so for example Defense Curl will cause its Defense to sharply rise by two levels, while Unaware causes Bidoof to ignore all buffs and debuffs affecting the opponent, so both Abilities are basically double-edge swords that can hurt or help Bidoof depending on how they're utilized. And second of all, as we'll find out next, his evolution in particular changes up the usual Regional Rodent routine...

Like Mudkip, Bidoof is one of those memetic Pokemon who you can never be sure if people actually like it, or are taking the piss out of Game Freak for creating such a goofy looking Pokemon. Regional Rodents have never exactly been the coolest looking Pokemon, but Rattata looked pretty fierce all things considered, while Sentret and Zigzagoon were legitimately cute---Bidoof is, well, a doof. But personally I always liked the little fella, though I never gave him a shot on my team, and find him another memorable aspect of exploring Sinnoh way back in 2006. He also had a pretty cute role in Pokemon Mystery Dungeon Explorers, being a friendly member of the Exploration Guild in the originals and getting his own side-story, involving Jirachi, in Explorers of Sky. In fact, it's possibly hinted that his wish towards Jirachi basically leads to the main plot of the game so he's pretty important you could say. I also recall Pokemon Ranger: Shadows of Almia had a reoccurring villain who exclusively used Bidoof to fight you, even popping up at the climax of the game where he sent a lone Bidoof out to try and stop you---stuff like this is why I consider Shadows of Almia the GOAT Pokemon spin-off.

So, what exactly is Bidoof? Well, he's commonly seen as some sort of beaver, which becomes more apparent once he evolves, though he lacks their trademark tail. He's also known as the "Plump Mouse" Pokemon, which also seems like a weird way to categorize a beaver. Most people seem to have accepted him as basically a giant gopher-beaver and leave it at that, but it seems Bidoof may be possibly based on the mountain beaver, which despite its name isn't closely related to the beaver but basically resembles a tailless one, much like Bidoof. All I can say for sure is that Bidoof has one of the most memorable cries in all of Pokemon, and leave it at that. You know what, I take it back---there's no way people can hate this Pokemon, so I'm gonna assume all praise it receives is done completely unironically.

Bidoof's focus episode in Diamond and Pearl was nothing special, but all things considered was a pretty cute filler episode about a Bidoof community under attack by a rampaging Steelix, angered due to the fact it had a couple of shovels stuck in its head. You gotta wonder how basic shovels could penetrate its steel-hard skin, but whatever, it's a filler episode.

cE7iL3I.png

#400 - Bibarel
Normal/Water

At Level 15, Bidoof evolves into Bibarel. And for the first time ever, the Regional Rodent becomes a dual-Type Pokemon! I mean, besides being the second non-Flying dual-Normal Pokemon following Girafarig, Normal/Water isn't exactly the most exciting Type, but it's still nice to see Game Freak experiment with a tired archetype in a new way. And honestly, in-game, Bibarel ain't too shabby as its stats are all-around okay, and it learns some pretty good moves---but really, its best attribute is being the best HM Slave of Generation IV, capable of learning every HM but Fly and gaining STAB on all of them but Rock Smash. Outside of that, though, Bibarel doesn't really have any competitive merit except for taking advantage of Simple + Curse to gain a sharp boost in Attack and Defense, a strategy that unfortunately can't be used much during the adventure since it doesn't pick up Curse till Level 53, and that wasn't till Platinum. Its Hidden Ability, Moody, which causes one stat to randomly sharply increase while another stat randomly decreases at the beginning of each turn, is actually banned from Smogon due to the fact it relies too much on luck (as it can affect Accuracy and Evasion), though even with it I don't think Bibarel is considered a top-tier Pokemon due to its lackluster stats.

When I was little, I used to be really into certain animals---first it was cats (I used to act like one when I was five, even had a little tail), then it was foxes (thanks to Tails), and finally the last animal I recall really loving was beavers, due to how much I loved The Angry Beavers on Nickelodeon. Nowadays though I'm not much of an animal person to be honest, and none of those animals really do anything for me, but I was still glad to get a straight-up beaver Pokemon in Bibarel. There's no ambiguity here, its tail and trademark dam-making ability tell you for sure that this is the beaver Pokemon. It also led to a ton of "Sinnoh is Canada" jokes, as you'd expect. Your opinion on Bibarel is likely the same as your opinion on Bidoof, it's either enjoyably goofy or horribly goofy and a waste of space---as far as goofy Pokemon go, it's not one of my favorites (there's a certain "goofy" Pokemon in Generation IV who wins that award), but it ain't too horrible either. The weird mask is probably the worst part of its design, otherwise I like its simplicity.

"Bibarel appeared in Bibarel Gnaws Best!, under the command of Isis." I really don't have anything else to say here, I just thought that sentence from Bulbapedia sounded amusing without context.

I caught another shiny! A Magikarp this time, which I'd be pretty stoked about, except that you got a red Gyarados in HGSS just for showing up.

I'm considering keeping it as a Magikarp though, since the gold colour is pretty dope.

Bidoof is the best.

Someone at NOA once joked they were going to make a forum dedicated to Bidoof.

I caught another shiny! A Magikarp this time, which I'd be pretty stoked about, except that you got a red Gyarados in HGSS just for showing up.

I'm considering keeping it as a Magikarp though, since the gold colour is pretty dope.

I have a level 100 shiny Bidoof I got on the GTS for a junk Pokemon and I'm 100% sure it's hacked.

Actually, all of my shinies came from the GTS or events. Never seen a real one, despite hundreds of hours in each game...

Bidoof is the best.

Someone at NOA once joked they were going to make a forum dedicated to Bidoof.

I have a level 100 shiny Bidoof I got on the GTS for a junk Pokemon and I'm 100% sure it's hacked.

Actually, all of my shinies came from the GTS or events. Never seen a real one, despite hundreds of hours in each game...
The last time I saw a shiny (apart from the Red Gyarados) before this generation was when I first started Emerald back in like 2006, and I didn't even get to catch it.

So it was a decade for me, then suddenly two within a few days of one another. Google tells me they tweaked the odds a little for breeding with out-of-region Pokémon and fishing, which were the two ways I caught mine (not deliberate - you'll still need to hatch / catch thousands of Pokémon to guarantee a shiny will show up). Also something called Friend Safari has the best odds, which I haven't seen yet and don't know if it's an XY exclusive feature.

Pokémon that serve to perpetuate hms are the worst.

The worst after hms themselves.
It's aggravating that Rock Smash is an HM in ORAS. Rock Smash. I put it on my Combusken as a fill-in fighting type move because I stupidly prevented Torchic from evolving and missed out on Double Kick and when I realised my mistake, it was a mad dash over to Lilycove City's move deleter. I must have reeked of repel by the time I got there.

HMs should just become TMs (at least Surf and Waterfall), and their old effects just become innate abilities of various Pokemon.

A Scyther with his huge blades, knowing 2 different cutting moves cannot cut a bush because it doesn't know a specific form of cutting?

My Wailmer I just caught swimming around the ocean does not remember how to swim?

This would also allow Pokemon that float to carry you around without necessarily needing to have Fly in their move set, since there's no reason Weezing or Claydol should learn Fly, but there's also no good reason they couldn't carry you around.

Also why just limit warping to flying? I have a giant mythical dog that runs at the speed of sound and I can't ride it to warp around? I have a Pokemon who specifically warps around, and it can't do anything but be a glorified escape rope?

Azuran

Banned
Yeah I always thought HMs were not a very fun or well implemented mechanic. I am surprised they stuck around this long.

Game Freak is weird when it comes to removing or retconning gameplay related features. Which is funny considering how easily they remove everything else from game to game.

I never really understood the ate for Bidoof, but nowadays I think some do it ironically.

434px-BidoofPrimalClash117.jpg

Or maybe everyone is just jealous of it's beauty.

Game Freak is weird when it comes to removing or retconning gameplay related features. Which is funny considering how easily they remove everything else from game to game.

Game Freak is a weird company in general. I swear they throw darts on a board to determine whether or not they will include or remove a feature.

Bidoof and Bibaril are the best. They were apart of the squad in Black 2. I don't like that artwork of Bibaril you posted though Birdie.

His Moody most of the time made my Leevett great. When an enemy attempted to lower one of my stats, Leevett would just sharply raise it the next turn and further raise that stat. The only downside is that he was part normal which made him vulnerable to fighting attacks. I feel that Normal pokemon should get rid of that weakness and just be overall average. I loved how versatile in attacks it is. I think I was constantly changing attacks, Aqua Tail, Surf to handle ground, rock, and fire. Strength/Rollout to fuck up flying types, Cut was made a Grass move in this game so it gave him advantage against its own type, Hyper Fang for some good damage, Super Fang to cut fools in half, and Super Power to combat those steel types. My Leevett marched all the way to the Champion and Benga with me.

Mr-Joker

Banned
Staraptor is the best regional bird ever, Talonflame wishes he could be as awesome as Staraptor without Galewing.

Bidoof/Bibarel...eh don't care for them they look derpy, weak and just pissed me off how they took away glory during the Team Galactic climax in Mt Coronet as I had to dump a team member so I use use HM.

Luckily I changed it with the reserve system so I will never have to feel annoyed about leaving a team member behind or ever using Bidoof/Bibarel.

It's aggravating that Rock Smash is an HM in ORAS. Rock Smash. I put it on my Combusken as a fill-in fighting type move because I stupidly prevented Torchic from evolving and missed out on Double Kick and when I realised my mistake, it was a mad dash over to Lilycove City's move deleter. I must have reeked of repel by the time I got there.

They need to make it that in every Pokémon center there is a move deleter and relearner. It's dumb that they are locked away far in the game meaning that we have to deal with rotating Pokémon or give them stupid moves.

Yeah I always thought HMs were not a very fun or well implemented mechanic. I am surprised they stuck around this long.

They stuck around because HM were an easy way of showing how human in the Pokémon world rely on Pokémon in their day to day life.

They stuck around because HM were an easy way of showing how human in the Pokémon world rely on Pokémon in their day to day life.

They could just let Pokemon do their natural thing and not rely on specific moves to do simple tasks like swimming and cutting bushes.

Think about if Pokemon were real. Would there be any real reason a Scyther couldn't cut down a tree using Slash, Fury Cutter, Metal Claw, or basically any attack at all?

Mr-Joker

Banned
They could just let Pokemon do their natural thing and not rely on specific moves to do simple tasks like swimming and cutting bushes.

Think about if Pokemon were real. Would there be any real reason a Scyther couldn't cut down a tree using Slash, Fury Cutter, Metal Claw, or basically any attack at all?

No I agree the HM system needs to be reworked to Pokémon types and turn the HM into TM.

They should look into how Pokemon Rangers does it.

brinstar

I'm sad I missed the Staraptor post. What a pal. Stayed on my team next to my starter the whole game.

Don't have much to say about Bidoof and Bibarel other than I was tired of seeing people try to push Bidoof as this proof that Pokemon was running out of ideas or w/e back when it was originally released.

Mr-Joker

Banned
I'm sad I missed the Staraptor post. What a pal. Stayed on my team next to my starter the whole game.

Don't have much to say about Bidoof and Bibarel other than I was tired of seeing people try to push Bidoof as this proof that Pokemon was running out of ideas or w/e back when it was originally released.

I hate the whole "Oh they're running out of idea" crap that people sprout when they don't like a Pokémon design and I am like "just be fucking honest and say that you don't like it rather than making bull crap statement."

If Game Freak really was really running out of idea they would be pulling a Digimon and basically recolour a Pokémon and pass it off as a completely new Pokémon.

Why would they do that? We hadn't had beavers before, Bibarel has unique typing, and the Pokemon have a very old school design to them. They wouldn't really be out of a place if you told me they were second gen Pokemon.

Mr-Joker

Banned
Why would they do that? We hadn't had beavers before, Bibarel has unique typing, and the Pokemon have a very old school design to them. They wouldn't really be out of a place if you told me they were second gen Pokemon.

What they really mean is "Oh I don't like this Pokémon but rather than take the time to explain why I am just going to be lazy and say Oh they're running of ideas."

Like you said We didn't have a beaver Pokémon before and Bidoof and Bibarel are unique that yeah they're clearly beavers but they are also Pokémon.

None of the 721 Pokémon are lazy or a sign that Game Freak are running out of ideas and I will forever defend that argument.

Vuapol

I love the Starly line, they're probably my favorite regional birds and tore up Sinnoh when I was a kid. With that said, I've never quite got used to Staraptor's hair. Just doesn't look right.

Bidoof is a joke, but a really funny one. Love that lil' derpy dude.

brinstar

Whenever an intentionally goofy or silly Pokemon is introduced, there's always a group of people who try to use them as proof that Pokemon designs are going downhill or whatever. It's bizarrely tone-deaf, because Pokemon like Bidoof are designed to be silly on purpose, but it always happens.

See also people's over-the-top reactions to Pokemon like Stunfisk, Garbodor and the Vanillite line.

Trey

HMs should just become TMs (at least Surf and Waterfall), and their old effects just become innate abilities of various Pokemon.

A Scyther with his huge blades, knowing 2 different cutting moves cannot cut a bush because it doesn't know a specific form of cutting?

My Wailmer I just caught swimming around the ocean does not remember how to swim?

This would also allow Pokemon that float to carry you around without necessarily needing to have Fly in their move set, since there's no reason Weezing or Claydol should learn Fly, but there's also no good reason they couldn't carry you around.

Also why just limit warping to flying? I have a giant mythical dog that runs at the speed of sound and I can't ride it to warp around? I have a Pokemon who specifically warps around, and it can't do anything but be a glorified escape rope?

Exactly my sentiments. That's why despite disliking the majority of ORAS, I thought Soaring was a great idea. I have this flying jet pokemon, and I can hop on it to fly wherever I want. You can solve any progression/gatekeeping issues by still requiring a badge to use these overworld techniques just like now. But there's no reason I should have to sacrifice an entire party slot for a pokemon I would never use in battle, who only knows moves I would never use in battle.

you can make the world of pokemon far more immersive than it is, while improving pacing and party composition/synergy. A boon all around.

Mr-Joker

Banned
Whenever an intentionally goofy or silly Pokemon is introduced, there's always a group of people who try to use them as proof that Pokemon designs are going downhill or whatever. It's bizarrely tone-deaf, because Pokemon like Bidoof are designed to be silly on purpose, but it always happens.

See also people's over-the-top reactions to Pokemon like Stunfisk, Garbodor and the Vanillite line.

tumblr_mnyegdmspA1rrkoj1o1_r1_500.gif

Stunfisk is freaking awesome and if he had water absorb for his ability he could have been a threat in the meta game.

But yeah I agree with your statement.

What they really mean is "Oh I don't like this Pokémon but rather than take the time to explain why I am just going to be lazy and say Oh they're running of ideas."

Like you said We didn't have a beaver Pokémon before and Bidoof and Bibarel are unique that yeah they're clearly beavers but they are also Pokémon.

None of the 721 Pokémon are lazy or a sign that Game Freak are running out of ideas and I will forever defend that argument.

This is my problem as well. It's fine to dislike some Pokémon, because at least there could be a friendly argument about them. However when people make bold statements like "they are running out of ideas" or "this Pokémon shouldn't exist" I stop respecting any supporting arguments and refuse to ever respect them. People don't always understand that brash statements like those imply more than a simple dislike and are basically telling someone their wrong for liking a Pokémon and Gamefeak just scribbles on paper then BAM, a Pokémon (which ignores that for every design that makes it, there is at least 5x that number that were denied).

But enough of that, more Bidoof!

8HWjcmC.jpg

I post these things out of love.

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
YqEAfPq.png

#401 - Kricketot
Bug

One of the biggest issues with Sinnoh's line-up is easily the Bug-type Pokemon. I mean, Bug Pokemon have never been that great, but Sinnoh's could be called possibly the worst of the worst as all of them, except Yanmega, are extremely lackluster and pretty forgettable to most fans. Kricketot could be considered the archetypal early-game bug, though more in the vein of Ledyba and Spinarak as the Wurmple family takes over as the three-stage cocoon family in Sinnoh once more, and is quite odd as it's not all that common to many players since it only appears during the early morning and at night, never during the day. Unlike Starly and Bidoof, it doesn't have any standout characteristics either and in fact is statistically the weakest Bug-type Pokemon, and the third weakest overall after Sunkern and Azurill, and in Diamond and Pearl was only equipped with Growl and Bide. Nowadays it can learn Struggle Bug too, but when it debuted is was basically unusable more so than even Wurmple.

And do you know what really bugs me about the whole situation? I absolutely loved how Kricketot looked, it was easily one of my favorite pre-release Pokemon and while I knew it was going to be rather weak given what type of Pokemon it was, I didn't expect it to be that weak. Speaking of pre-release, Kricketot was first revealed through a Japanese demo meaning we had very little information about it other than its appearance and Japanese name, Koroboshi. Due to its appearance, a ton of folks speculated it was related to Volbeat and Illumise, a popular theory being it was a shared pre-evolution between them since this was before they shared an Egg. You see, one element that took hold of the fandom during Diamond and Pearl's pre-release period was seeing every new Pokemon as being related to an old one, due to the fact Diamond and Pearl's pre-release cycle had mainly been filled with Cross-Generation Evolutions and Baby Pokemon---I swear, every time we got a new Pokemon no matter how unique they looked people tried to link them to an old Pokemon, and even after it was confirmed they were standalone people still thought Game Freak was hiding the truth despite the fact they were always upfront about evolutions. For example, when Starly was first revealed as "Mukkuru", its Japanese name, there were somewhat daft fans who took that name as being a sign it was a pre-evolution of Murkrow. I have many other examples to share when we reach the respective Pokemon, and not only in Generation IV, but in Generation V as well.

Kricketot is known as the "Cricket Pokemon", though it really doesn't resemble one much and instead looks more like some sort of beetle or ladybug. However, like the cricket, it shares the ability to create loud and iconic sounds, though in a rather different manner---real crickets produce sounds by rubbing their fore wings together (and not their legs, as is commonly thought) in a process known as stridulation whereas Kricketot bumps its antennae together to create a xylophone-like effect. Kricketot's musical motif goes further as you'll notice it basically resembles a little orchestra conductor complete with the large collar and coattails, and I find it extremely adorable for this reason. Like with Prinplup, I don't find the humanization that distracting either since it's also common to see crickets visualized as musicians in pop culture due to their innate musical talents, so it's a pretty classic motif and not exclusive to the Pokemon series.

Kricketot got bit roles in Diamond and Pearl, mainly serving as a cameo Pokemon which is a shame because I remember wanting someone to catch it---such as Team Rocket---its only notable appearance being used by Nando in the Appeals Round of the Sinnoh Grand Festival.

gMtStMT.png

#402 - Kricketune
Bug

At Level 10, Kricketot evolves into Kricketune---or you can simply catch a Kricketune as it's actually more common than Kricketot due to the fact it isn't limited by the time of the day. Kricketune wasn't going to be a great Pokemon of course, but man Game Freak really blew it here. Staraptor and Bibarel were a step-up overall from previous early-game Pokemon, but Kricketune is seen as weaker than even Beedrill. Like, it actually has a fairly decent level-up moves---like, for example, it actually has some to begin with---and this was when Bug-type Pokemon were finally starting to get decent STAB options, but Kricketune's stat distribution is just all-around pathetic. Its Attack is decent, but instead of putting points into Speed to ensure it'd get an attack off before fainting they half-heartedly focused on giving it HP though with its weak defenses it doesn't matter. Dying is an art, like everything else. Kricketune does it exceptionally well. I really wanted to use him in Pearl, but around the first Gym it became quite clear how horrid he really was so I left him in the Daycare Center for whatever reason, coming back at the end of the game to find myself with a Level 60~ Kricketune. Needless to say, Kricketune has no merit in the competitive scene and is one of those Pokemon Smogon writes joke articles about, though it slightly has a very weak niche as a Sticky Web user in Generation VI.

I remember when I first saw Kricketune when Diamond and Pearl began to leak, a few months after I had decided the pre-release Kricketot was one of my favorite Generation IV Pokemon, and was taken aback. It looked weird as fuck. After awhile though, I began to take a shine to it though I was quickly disappointed once more to learn it was absolute trash. Though it looks rather akward at first, it's actually a pretty clever design in a way. Though it's still known as the "Cricket Pokemon", Kricketune mainly draws from a rather unique insect known as the "violin beetle", so called because of its resemblance to the musical instrument. Kricketune takes this ever further, as you'll notice looking at it that it's basically a bug-violin hybrid as it has various violin features such as the "neck" and "bridge", and even the seemingly out-of-place mustache is part of this design motif as it's meant to resemble the s-shaped "F-holes" violins have. So, yeah, I mean it's a goofy design but I gotta respect Game Freak carrying out the musical motif in this way. As you can imagine, Kricketune is known for being extremely musical, capable of composing melodies ab-lib. It's even said that somewhere in the world, there is a village which hosts Kricketune musical contests. As much as I love Kricketune, sadly I'm one of the few as most people consider it to be all-around trash and one of Sinnoh's worst.

However, there is one memorable aspect of Kricketune that has kept it from fading into obscurity, and that's its memorable and bizarre cry that is often rendered in text as "DELELELE WHOOP". This is the one and only reason to actually use Kricketune.

Though the Diamond and Pearl character Nando had been associated mainly with the Budew-line since his introduction in Episode 4, by the end of the series his most used Pokemon ended up being his Kricketune. In case you're wondering, it's not the same Kricketune as the Kricketot I mentioned previously---in fact we saw his Kricketot long after Kricketune debuted. Kricketune was shown early on in the series as being a rather good Contest Pokemon, helping Nando win various Ribbons, though we didn't really get to see it show its stuff till the Grand Festival where it took on Dawn's other rival, Zoey. Zoey though was Dawn's main rival, so this meant Nando and his Kricketune were in for a loss. Fortunately, Nando also took part in the Sinnoh League going up against Ash where Kricketune was used as his final Pokemon against Ash's Heracross, and actually put up a pretty good fight considering how weak it is in the games. In the end, though, Heracross managed to overcome its Sing by learning Sleep Talk and winning the match. And that was it for Nando and Kricketune, not good enough to win the Grand Festival nor good enough to win the Sinnoh Leage.

SkyOdin

I think I ended up using my Bidoof for Cut and Defog for the entire length of Diamond. Gyarados was my go-to Surf and Waterfall Pokemon though, since there really isn't a good reason to not put Surf on your main Water-type when progressing through the story.

EDIT: Wow, posted at the same time as a new entry going up. I actually like Kricketune. I had one that I think i actually leveled up from a Kricketot. I even used it to fight a couple gyms, I think. Bide can be halfway decent at killing some enemies if you get lucky. Not the highest praise, but it worked for me.

Sterok

While Sinnoh is great in general, the filler ones really top the list of forgettable Pokemon. Kricketot/Kricketune are just the first of many that I'd only remember if I saw a picture of them.

Kricketune: Great design, amazing cry... absolutely worthless stats and moveset. At least it can sticky web. Do crickets even spin webs?

Top Bottom