• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NeoGAF's struggle with the meaning of "minimalism"

Crisium

I couldn't find any perfect hits on the Saturn, but here are a few of the closer ones.

Sega Ages Vol. 1:

JttIyke.jpg

What is lacks in minimalism it makes up for in the lack of minimalism of the North American box:

9IPWBWn.jpg

Shin Megami Tensei Devil Summoner Special Box:

yU0eGKX.jpg

Real Sound Kaze No Regret:

wggWEUl.jpg

Even if the clouds don't count I like how it has a slide-on cover in which the clouds obscure everything else.

ptdZjvl.png
clKMfDV.png

Psychic Assassin Taromaru:

rtzvyml.jpg

Even if the checkered background disqualifies it, I think simply stating the name of this game actually tells you enough about it: Psychic Assassin, Taromaru.

3 Disc:

It is what is says. 3 Discs, and then the name of all 3 of them: Sonic R, Shining Force 3, and Machi.

PaulloDEC

That's not minimalism, is just a cheap cover. Pal version looks better.

I can guarantee you that there was no significant difference in cost in designing the PAL cover versus the US cover. One comes from the "less is more" school of thought, while the other comes from the much more popular "people love shit, right? Shove more shit on there" school of thought.

Sanctuary

Quake is the closest to minimalist I can think of.

e:

The 1:1 cd cover is more in line with what I remember.

Until you posted that, I was about ready to think either no one over twenty is posting in this thread, or you all have some decidedly short memories. I would have gone with this though:

Quake2box.jpg

Also...no Diablo?

8ca2c4d63ed37192205bbc5de87e87dc.jpg

Lynx_7

I don't even know if I should give Ivan Amiibo any credit for successfully trolling people with his responses. I mean, he wasn't even subtle about it and he still did it.

mclem

I need to set the scene for this one. Ultima runs in trilogies. In the early 90's, the second trilogy had just been completed, with a bunch of releases with quite-busy artworks, classical fantasy imagery, each in some way tied to the overall storyline of the game and the trilogy:

These are not my nominations, don't worry!

And so, Ultima 7 is released. The first game in a new trilogy, setting out a new direction for the franchise. And the boxart, very much, says one thing and one thing only: This is something a bit different:

My nomination: Ultima 7: The Black Gate.

Nanashrew

Banned
Someone should photoshop a cover of the Valve Orange Box with a photo of an orange box outside a warehouse.

That would be minimalism.

Came into this thread just because of the excellent title
It's even more amusing than I expected
And it just keeps going!

Unfortunately minimalism doesn't have much of a presence in gaming. Arguably you could say Pong is perhaps its greatest example.

Someone should photoshop a cover of the Valve Orange Box with a photo of an orange box outside a warehouse.

That would be minimalism.

For some reason I thought the orange box cover was just a 'distressed' orange cover with the half-life lambda symbol.
I ran a Google image search and was very disappointed...

I think a picture of an unopenned orange crate with a crowbar lying next to it would be the perfect cover.

Even though it's far from pure minimalism, it's still quite in line with some examples posted in the thread. This beauty: Another Code R. Shame the giant 'sticker' ruins it, but the composition of the art is beautiful, showing a lot of empty space filled up with great typography.

topplehat

Is this topic just "post your favorite box arts"? Very few of these are minimal, and I don't think many games have such cover arts.

OP doesn't even get minimalism right, why would the rest of the thread?

I also don't consider logo heavy covers without much else to be minimalist

Considering the OP's choice the title change is accurate. It's nice and all, but use of different tones of one colour ain't enough to be minimalist.

Shpeshal Nick

aka Collingwood
Fucking hell it keeps going. I'm making some phone calls. Gonna organise a mass sterilisation because some of you shouldn't be allowed to breed.

irriadin

The confusion over what "minimalism" means in this thread reminds me of clients that have no idea what they're asking for. "Make it pop" & "Bolder, more professional look!"

Lol I only got to see the changed title and was confused going in but then after going through this thread it made sense, in the first page alone there are so many non minimalist covers.

Top Bottom