• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

My girl left me last night, but I'm not sure it's for good yet.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Palpable

My ex said the same shit, she was the same way. She was always trying to please others and hid her emotions from me so she could "stay happy". When she broke up with me, she made it seem like it was because of my neglectfulness, lack of affection, etc (didn't mean to, but I was very new to relationships. It was a rude awakening). I didn't get a 2nd chance there. A couple weeks later she admits she likes another guy.

Buddy, women who act this way are not loyal. They are to their need of you, once that is gone, so are they. Act as if you don't care and focus on yourself. I understand that's hard and I sure as shit didn't do it, but it's the best advice I can give. My ex and I don't ever talk, she hates me for reasons unknown, and is dating that guy she left me for. Thankfully I don't think of her as much anymore (break up was in Nov of '14) and I don't care if she is happy or not. I just hope she gets a solid dose of karma for what she did to me.

Goro Majima

Kitty Genovese Member
My ex wife was 19 when I married her and we divorced 7 years later (no kids thankfully). She was basically a child when she made the decision to marry me so it's hard to hate.

The funny thing is that today starting a relationship with an older woman is a million times better because they've probably had a few relationships and are closer to knowing what they want. My girlfriend is amazing and leaps and bounds better than my ex.

A few tidbits of general advice:

Don't believe the lie that you won't find someone "as good as her". You might not end up with a perfect 10 someday but relationships tend to get easier with age, not harder...mostly because you get really damn good at sniffing out compatibility.

It gets worse before it gets better. It's cliche but true. You have a somewhat difficult 6 months or so ahead of you emotionally. The good news is that most people have had to go through all that and there are numerous ways to cope via exercise or whatever.

Resist temptation to put blame for everything 100% on her or 100% on yourself. It sounds like she made some major mistakes but you may have as well. Focus on the things that you are capable of changing while also recognizing that none of this was entirely your fault.

Cheaters cheat. Avoid bringing in paranoia from this relationship into the next one...which leads me to my next point-

Plan on taking at least a solid year off from serious relationships. It took me about 18 months to get over my ex completely. I dated in that time frame and all I did was leave a trail of broken hearts....not my best look. Regardless, that year will go by super fast and you'll be...28? That's the prime age for dating chicks that are 23+ which are way less complicated than 19 year olds. 28 year old girls are also less complicated than 23 year olds and so on.

For now, the very first step is to do whatever the fuck you want. You can eat an entire large pizza in your underwear while blasting some music or something. Bask in your freedom because you're your own man now. Learn a language, instrument or whatever. Join a gym and get into great shape...travel if you can! Play video games until 6am. Further your career...just whatever. The world is your oyster and I promise you that things will eventually be awesome.

Lord Panda

The Sea is Always Right
It's amazing when I come across these threads and the OP handles himself and their problems like a grown up - and it was done with humility and grace.

Hopefully she (and of all her gaggle of friends) remember how great and understanding you were to her and how hard it must have been for both of you. Not easy being let go and not easy letting someone go.

All the best OP.

Palpable

My ex wife was 19 when I married her and we divorced 7 years later (no kids thankfully). She was basically a child when she made the decision to marry me so it's hard to hate.

The funny thing is that today starting a relationship with an older woman is a million times better because they've probably had a few relationships and are closer to knowing what they want. My girlfriend is amazing and leaps and bounds better than my ex.

Don't believe the lie that you won't find someone "as good as her". You might not end up with a perfect 10 someday but relationships tend to get easier with age, not harder...mostly because you get really damn good at sniffing out compatibility.

It gets worse before it gets better. It's cliche but true. You have a somewhat difficult 6 months or so ahead of you emotionally. The good news is that most people have had to go through all that and there are numerous ways to cope via exercise or whatever.

Resist temptation to put blame for everything 100% on her or 100% on yourself. It sounds like she made some major mistakes but you may have as well. Focus on the things that you are capable of changing while also recognizing that none of this was entirely your fault.

Cheaters cheat. Avoid bringing in paranoia from this relationship into the next one...which leads me to my next point-

Plan on taking at least a solid year off from serious relationships. It took me about 18 months to get over my ex completely. I dated in that time frame and all I did was leave a trail of broken hearts....not my best look. Regardless, that year will go by super fast and you'll be...28? That's the prime age for dating chicks that are 23+ which are way less complicated than 19 year olds. 28 year old girls are also less complicated than 23 year olds and so on.

For now, the very first step is to do whatever the fuck you want. You can eat an entire large pizza in your underwear while blasting some music or something. Bask in your freedom because you're your own man now. Learn a language, instrument or whatever. Join a gym and get into great shape...travel if you can! Play video games until 6am. Further your career...just whatever. The world is your oyster and I promise you that things will eventually be awesome.

This is great advice. My ex was 18 when we began dating and she broke things off when she was 20. A child. She always talked the talk, but that was about it. I'm still slowly getting over my ex (seeing pictures or hearing about what she's up to triggers sadness), but I'm way better than I was a year ago.

Reminds me of my Ex that got caught up, and tried to somehow make it my fault that she fucked up and got exposed..I stuck in there longer than I should have, and things got ugly stupid fast. Sounds like she's been with one person for 6 years, and she tried to have her cake and eat it too..Move on OP, because she already did when you caught her..

I don't expect you all to know what sort of person she is, because all you have is a few paragraphs about the situation that paints her in a very bad light. I'm not saying don't make your own assumptions based on facts, I'm saying she's not the terrible woman you all think she is. I'm not being a pushover, I'm not being overly trusting or whatever. I'll tell you why:

I broke it off. Just now. I read through some of you guys replies and it really turned some gears in my head. Especially regarding the Facebook nonsense. Showing pics, etc. You guys were right, she checked out late last year, heard it from her mouth over the phone. Yes, I did this over the phone. Would have been best to save it for face to face, but shit needed said. We both agreed that we need to move on. She said "give me some time" last night to see if the feelings she's having would pass, but I don't think those are feelings that just go away. It's a change in how someone feels. It's fucking sad, and I would have never guessed this would happen, say, pre November. Everything seemed awesome. I don't know what I'm going to do with myself, we did everything together, and, I thought, happily. It's going to be a weird transition. But a good buddy of mine thinks it's for the best, which is nice. It's good to know my friends have my back.

I dunno. I needed to update this. I really have you guys to thank for swaying me in the correct direction. I just didn't want to believe that it could be over.

Just getting to read this. Well done. Now, avoid alcohol for a long time, get into your hobbies, try and reconnect with friends. Stay busy. It will take time but think of it as rehabbing an injury: make a plan, don't beat yourself up over setbacks, and don't try and get back in the game too quickly. You will overcompensate.

Good call OP. I'm 100% sure it wasn't easy making the call and cutting it off, but I think you'll look fondly on the move in the future. Now like others have said take this time for yourself and working on what you want in life. Best of luck man, glad to see GAF helped you out with your decision.

Fantastic advice.

Especially the part about relationships continuing to get easier as you get older. It's a great thing to look forward to as you move from one relationship to the next.

NawidA

Banned
For what it's worth OP, I don't think your girl cheated on you. Good luck to the both of you in your separate endeavors.

Demy

OP, you magnificent bastard. You held up a relationship for 6 years and the worst of it was some texting and possessiveness. You done good, man. Not perfect but good.

I also really appreciate what you did on that last night. You encouraged her and gave her time to decide on her own what to do. Too many people end with "I was mad and said some dumb stuff" but not you.

Idk where you go from here but I know it's good places. Cheers, man.

HariKari

Life is too short to share it with someone who isn't crazy about you. Good on OP for realizing what needs to be done and handling it.

vern

Good for you ending it OP, but work on the possessiveness and the snooping so you are better prepared for a successful relationship next time.

You did it kid, you listened to GAF and everything worked out great.

Nice job, and good luck to you in the future. I'm glad you realized it was over, and it wasn't anything you did wrong. It was the fact that you weren't "something new". Don't hate her for it. G and find your next "something new"!

neorej

ERMYGERD!
After 6 years, is it possiveness and snooping when reading someone's texts? My girl and I read each other's texts, Facebook messages and Whatsapp all the time, especially when something comes in while the phone's owner is in another room, in case it's important.
We have no secrets, there's complete trust.

Anyway, it's over OP. IMHO a girl you can't trust 6 years into a relationship, is a girl you can't trust, period. She needs to work on her issues, maybe you'll meet again, maybe not. Best thing now is to move on, don't linger on the notion that she MIGHT come back, because chances of her staying away are vaster than the slim possibility of her returning, and even if she does, there's a real chance that you still can't trust her completely.

Strife91

"I need to focus on myself" is just another way of saying I don't want to be with you but don't have the guts to tell you. She's not being considerate of you. She's just saving herself from having to tell you the truth.

Remember that annoying guy who think he's your friend and is being really clingy and you don't know how to tell him that you he's not your friend and you don't want to be with him? It's a similar situation.

vern

After 6 years, is it possiveness and snooping when reading someone's texts? My girl and I read each other's texts, Facebook messages and Whatsapp all the time, especially when something comes in while the phone's owner is in another room, in case it's important.

Anyway, it's over OP. IMHO a girl you can't trust 6 years into a relationship, is a girl you can't trust, period. She needs to work on her issues, maybe you'll meet again, maybe not. Best thing now is to move on, don't linger on the notion that she MIGHT come back, because chances of her staying away are vaster than the slim possibility of her returning, and even if she does, there's a real chance that you still can't trust her completely.

Yes it's snooping if she didn't give him explicit permission to read through her shit. Possessiveness he said is a problem himself as well.

Chuckie

I'm a bit surprised by this too. My wife and I know each others passwords, phone unlocks et cetera. She can read all my shit if she wanted to, and I can read hers. Which I don't because I actually trust her 100% (unless she asks me too because she doesn't have access to email at that moment)

To the OP. You really did the right thing ending it. Like others have said, she fell out of love but probably loved you too much to end it sooner.
Now it is best to cut off all contact for a while and concentrate on your own well being.
Then after a while you start feeling better and you'll be ready for something new.

Yes it's snooping if she didn't give him explicit permission to read through her shit. Possessiveness he said is a problem himself as well.
It is snooping, I think neorejs point is that to him it is odd that they still kept things like phones/facebook as explicitly private.

neorej

ERMYGERD!

You're right, thinking back, the first time my girl's phone got a text at my place, she asked me to read the text, because she was doing her hair. It just feels so natural now, I didn't realize how it came to be. Apologies.

Jonogunn

Just know that despite all the advice you are given only you should decide on what u want to do. It's your relationship not ours and only u know all the ins and outs of it and how u feel.

Six years is a rough thing to let go, but you'll get over it. And I attach no condescension or apathy to that, only a hand on the shoulder with a smile. One morning you'll wake up and you'll feel great and you'll feel hopeful and you'll have moved on.

For now it'll be a little darker than that though. Try not to dwell on it.

Push through that darkness, the faint light gets brighter and I assure you, it's worth it.

Take it from another internet stranger, it does get better. I mutually ended a six and a half year relationship last week, it turned really ugly when I found out she and my best friend had been having a Skype affair for two months the day after we ended it, but two days later I woke up and realized that I was free. And that made me smile. The getting over it process was probably accelerated immensely by that whole thing and the four or five other online "I was just flirting with naked pictures and extremely explicit messages" instances that I kept forgiving, but it still happened.

Point I'm making/parroting from others is, keep your chin up, your back straight, learn from this relationship and start the process of moving forward. You'll climb out of the less than pleasant feelings and you'll be happy again.

From one stranger to another, it only gets better!

theaface

I feel for you, OP. It does seem like it's probably over from what you've described, and the best thing you can do is part ways with dignity and your head held high. You may not have been the perfect boyfriend but who is, really? And her transgressions were far worse than yours.

It'll hurt like hell for a long time, but I strongly suspect that over time, you'll come to realise that things weren't as good as the first 1-2 years as you believed they were. Falling out of love/growing apart is a slippery and tricky thing, as it can sneak up on you ever so slowly without realising and we convince ourselves it's just a phase or a rough patch.

Best of luck to you.

Mabufu

Banned
She is tired of having to worry about others and realized how she was not really living her own life, and that is what she wants now.

Care about herself, and do whatever she wants. break free, leave attachments behind, and live.

She may love you still, but maybe a relationship is the last thing she needs now. I'm pretty sure that that's not your fault OP, is because the unsustainable nature of her.

Starviper

having eachother's facebook password, rofl, why do people do this

Pretty much this dude. I don't understand that at all, like there is no privacy at that point and in the end I feel like it'll cause more problems than anything else.

I've been dating someone for around seven months now and it took awhile to really build up a level of trust where we don't really worry about these sort of issues. I mean, jealousy happens and we butt heads about things that bother us still but I think that is way more natural than having passwords to each other's personal pages.

Like she has a NSFW blog she's been running since before we started dating and she still keeps it up. Sometimes she posts stuff that can be a little concerning but if it is i'll just talk to her about it. She's worked with a photographer before and talks to him regularly; it's been a good amount of work on my part to not be bothered by every little thing. She gets jealous over me sometimes and we talk it out. I trust her more than anyone at this point.

I don't want to know every little detail about who she talks to and what they talk about, and I expect a similar level of privacy in my own life. It's not that there's something to hide but that we shouldn't need to worry.

I don't know the OP, but I agree with the other posters who hinted at your partner saying things like; "I don't know who I am anymore", "I don't know what I want", "I'm too worried about helping other people", "I need to focus on myself", "I need some time to myself", "I want to figure myself out"

Notice the emphasis on "me" and "I". I think it's because deep down we are malleable, and as such we get accustomed to day-slaving and the grind.
If you're not very successfully romantically I think the grind can still make you happy if it contains good moments. You know you ain't worth a lot on the sexual market and you don't have a lot of options. Either by circumstances (looks, genetics, income, social circle) or belief systems (self worth, confidence, outlook) and so having someone who you love at all seems to be a miracle.
But if you are someone who is higher up the echelon, who still meets people who are romantically interested in you, even if you are taken, it stands to reason that you also see yourself as losing out on potential love since you're in an experience. And after having been in the same relationship with the same dick for 5-6 years, it might simply be that you want something new. It has nothing to do with getting bored of someone, because it's just as much about someone being bored with themselves and the life they have together.

TBF, people don't always break up because there are someone else. Sometimes they really are just trying to reinvent themselves and want to be single, or they want to do something drastic and life changing because they feel they are stuck in the grind.
IMO, it is unfair for the dumped person to always have to feel so bad, because a part of it cannot be helped.
If she was with you for six years, and if she had a good head on her shoulders, that says something good about you. If she only stayed in the relationship because she couldn't move on, then it says a lot more about her, than it does about OP.
At the end of the day, I think "we're meant to be" is a fallacy- A deterrent from the fact that we as people overwhelmingly are novel and go through different life stages. Sometimes when a person does that, there is nothing the other person can do, or change or be perfect enough to keep the relationship together. The only way it will work is if both parties madly deeply want to be together.
If you feel you're missing out by being single it is not a good sign. Saying "I need to figure myself out" is vastly different from saying "I still don't know who I am, but I'm glad I got you here". In either scenarios there is emphasis on the self, which there should be in a relationship, but only in the latter is the other person included in some capacity. Because the partner is always involved, voluntarily or involuntarily. That's just the way it is when you live together, sleep together, eat together, hang out together, do taxes together and everything else.

There is this old stereotypical saying about women getting a drastic haircut change deeply into a relationship is a sign of them trying to reinvent themselves. I don't think that's necessarily true (obviously), but I do think having a partner is like a haircut. Sometimes you want a new look, and so you got of a lot of your hair you have grown out over a long period of time. You had a ponytail and beard for years, and suddenly it was time for a new look and boom! Look at you, all new and shit.
I've spend too much of my life using post-relationship pain as a motivator for being better. It's good we try to be better, but we should try to be more realistic and honest. I don't believe the OP could have done anything in this situation. I see so many people who are in loving with relationships with people who most of GAF would collectively say "raises a lot of red flags". The truth is, if you love someone a lot, you will overlook a lot of bad red flags to be with them. We sometimes put a lot of emphasis for the things we lack, and not enough on the fleeting desire for change. Sometimes we feel security, routines, stability, comfort and certainty, and sometimes after prolonged routine relationships we want excitement, evolution, new and unpredictable.

it's situational, I think. Like everything else you have a right to ask if you are confused about something, but of course if you are certain that someone is cheating, or certain someone is stealing, you're not gonna take their word for it.
I think the problem is that if people go through reasonable doubt to "partner is cheating for certain! I must invade their privacy". It's much better to ask the person and listen to the response. If there is cheating going on they really might be saying things in a way that is out of the ordinary or telling.

At the end of the day you have to live with the consequences. If you read someones texts and they're cheating, you were in your right to overstep your normal inhibitions. If you are wrong, and there was no cheating going on, this is looking bad at you.
Furthermore, one must also assume that if you have such overwhelming doubt that you want to go through another persons facebook/texts, due to not believing what your partner says, it might be time to move on. Because it is telling if you do not believe your partner. You have outed yourself as having major lack of trust and faith in the person, and the truth will not set you free.
For people with low self worth the speculation and concern of cheating do not stop there. It's like a cycle. "she didn't cheat this one time.."
When people take that style of prison thought to the next level is when they get into private detectives and stalking. For people who have been married +15 years the thought of being alone again is inconceivable, so they will go to extremes before doing the right thing.

PixelPeZ

Hope OP doesn't mind me posting in this thread, if you do, I'll delete.

I'm going through something eerily similar, only that we've been together for 10 years, married for 3, and known each other since we were 16, no kids. We met on an IRC channel way back when, and even though were in other relationships, talked a lot and were good friends, until we both happened to end our relationships at the same time and got together.

This whole time, we were good together - same taste in music, life, loved food, didn't like kids. But of course there were some hitches. She's been battling depression her whole life, and that sometimes took a toll. For the past couple of years, she's been on antidepressants, which have destroyed her sex drive. It has sucked, but not as much as you think, I haven't ever been with the most aggressive of libidos ever, and overall things stabilized a lot, she felt happier, I tried my best to go along with everything, giving space and supporting when needed. But this whole time, she's been a bit insecure, and I've been the determined one. But from my side I can get very distant, emotionally, when I'm stressed out, I'm really bad around the house with cleaning and paying attention to details.

After getting treatment for depression, she took on exercise, lost a bunch of weight, we took a dog, which I love a lot.

But I'm not a very physically active person. She took long walks with the dog, at some point just was seemingly ok with me not mustering the energy to go outside with them after finishing my work day couple of hours later than her. I produce a podcast and yt video game content as a hobby, so I took that time to dive more into that, and you know, to produce this stuff you have to play the games, too.

This Christmas, she was laid off work. With a nice compensation and not of her fault, but still. She's been on the hunt for a new job since, but no hooks, just taking care of the house and dog. The relations between us come a bit more tense, she avoids touch, and says she knows I don't really want to do it and just do it out of an effort. If she's been drinking, she tries to belittle or start a fight almost every time, for which she apologizes later. But, over the years, we've been through something similar and worked it out.

Last week, she talks about how she's not really happy and does not know what to do. I say that I'm sure it's just another down point as we've had over the years, but soon she'll finish her med cycle it'll be spring, the end of the year game cycle (yeah I know), has ended and we can spend more time together, we agree to try and give more attention to each other.

The next day, she goes to have a few drinks with our friends, I get a call around 1:30 from them and they ask if she's home, as she's been missing for a while. She's not.

My heart sinks. I open Find My iPhone, see that she's at one of our friend's place. No answer, I send a few text asking if this is it. I open the messages app and see all the stuff they've talked about, not good. They've been going on walks, he's been over for lunch. She comes home, we talk for hours, she tells me she misses the attention, and how good it feels to be around someone who really wants her, but hasn't cheated (I really do believe her). But isn't sure she wants to break up. I'm not either, and ask her to give it some time, and not see the friend, she agrees. I suggest that we should see a therapist, she reluctantly agrees. For a weekend, it actually seems it could be getting better. The tension's gone, we talk more than usual recently, laugh a bit, cook.

Yesterday I'm at work, we chat as usual, I notice she goes missing for bouts. When I come home, she's really down. I notice she's hiding texts, covering her phone. This has never happened for the past 10 years. We talk, I explain how I'm not really ready to throw away 10 years, relationship, home, dog. She gets mad and says it's not about me. I ask for her to be honest and say if they have been seeing each other. She gets angrier and storms out. Comes back and explains it's not about him. ( I believe it, but he's a catalyst). I ask again to not meet up with him until we've cleared things up, better or worse, she doesn't directly agree, but says she refuses to go to a therapist, to explain all these things to a stranger and be told to "put in effort and try harder".

We sleep in different rooms this night, and haven't talked today.

I think there are a couple of things that make this extra hard for me - that her first reaction was to split. Anything I suggested about changing my habits were met with "but I know you!", though I've never been in this sort of situation, and really believe I could change my habits a bit, not just for her, but for me, too. She says she doesn't want to try to change to please anyone any more, and doesn't want me to do so either.

But it would seem like giving up, if we split right away. Sure, it's not all about me, but I feel not only about her either, and it saddens me that she sees no path in the future where we are who we are, but together. We've spent the past 10 years together with maybe a week apart at most. She's my best friend, our lives are so intertwined. I have always been a serial monogamist and been in a relationship for all of my adult life, I've never really "dated". I'm going to be 33 this year, it's not old, but I'm not in my twenties any more either. I've made mistakes, a lot of them, but so has she. We both noted, that since we still do get along well, day to day, this is way harder than if we really were constantly fighting.

Not to mention my, what I thought, good friend being in the rafters grabbing her up as soon as I let go.

GAF, this is hard. I know most of you will say to move on, I've read the thread. But it felt good to write this down, I'm not much of a talker when it comes to my feelings.

DL; DR: I still love her, but I think I lost my wife.

vern

Honestly that sounds pretty bad and I wish you the best of luck.

I just want touch on one point you made that I can kind of relate to, most of it I can't relate to because I'm not married and not in any kind of similar situation to you.

But 33 isn't old for the dating scene if that is where you end up. I'm 31 and dating at this age is pretty damn awesome to be honest. You kind of have your pick of the litter, so to speak, from early 20's girls just looking for fun to girls your age and beyond. Girls like mature guys, late 20's and early 30's is a healthy man's peak age for a lot of girls.

You don't have any kids, you seem like you've got your head on straight. You've got a house so you are probably financially pretty secure. If worst comes to worst and you break up, don't worry, you'll be just fine.

Jill Sandwich

the turds of Optimus Prime
DL; DR: I still love her, but I think I lost my wife.

I'll tell you now, because a similar thing happened to me - she's seeing other people, your relationship is over. It's going to be hard for a while, but this is the most important thing - it will get so much better.

I hate to be cold pixel...try to save your marriage but at the same take preemptive measures to avoid being screwed in a divorce.

The last thing you need is to not be the cause of this and be financially damaged by it.

norinrad

33 is pretty young, find cool stuff to do with your time, perhaps even a new job, meet new people and I'm pretty sure there's also someone waiting for you. You made your mistakes but got a second chance to not make those same mistakes with your future partner.

Cappa

Banned
Hi, GAF. I'm hoping that typing this out helps me figure out what's going to happen, so bare with me. I know it's only speculation and only she can really give me an answer, but I feel some of you out there must have experienced something like this?

I've been with my GF for almost 6 years. It has been excellent, nearly all of it. We met on OkCupid and have been in love since we met. Well, until now, I think.

About my GF- she's a pleaser. Always has been. She loves helping other people, trying to be everyone's crying shoulder. Always in a great mood. A real wonderful girl to be around. Problem is, she puts everyone else first. This includes confronting issues with herself, or working on herself. This becomes important a little later.

A little back story, on when the issues started popping up: back in November, I caught her Facebooking another guy. It was someone she worked with at the time. I confronted her about it, and told her I need 100% honesty right now. I believe I got just that, judging by the look in her eyes.. We talked, talked, and talked some more. I asked if she was getting something from texting and showing pictures to this guy. She said it was like the romantic novels she used to write as a young teen... it was all just fantasy and whatever she wasn't getting from me, she was getting via FB messenger. I chose to believe it because I know her and I know when she's telling me the absolute truth. She's a horrible liar. She dropped it like a bad habit, as far as I could tell. She only worked there a couple more weeks until she was actually laid off because of lack of work. January was the start of "slow season" and she had the least tenure there, so she was let go. We worked out the attention issues, and I've been, from what she tells me, a lot better since.

This hurt me, bad. Like, real bad. I was distraught for a little while before coming around. But, it left some bad stuff behind. I'm now pretty insecure, always wondering if I'm good enough, always wondering if she'll just talk to someone else. Always wondering if I'm just not the guy she fell in love with, or if she's the one who changed. This also becomes important.

A few weeks ago we had a long talk. There were issues that weren't being brought up, and I could tell. Unrelated to what I just talked about. She wasn't quite her typical self. We talked and talked... we came to the conclusion that I have some co-dependency issues and also I can be possessive. These came around, I thought, because of the issue back in November. Well, I have tried these past few weeks to notice when I'm slipping up or when I say things I probably shouldn't. I'm trying to do better by her. She said she's noticed a big difference just the other day, actually.

Well, fast forward to last night. She uses Zedge for ringtones/sounds etc, and has a very distinct noise for a text message, which she never does. She's one of those strictly Facebook messenger type people. I was on the couch playing Rainbow Six while she was up. This is where I fuck it up: I looked. Moment of weakness, I guess. I'm just still insecure about some things I guess. I pried and this is what pushed her over the edge I think.

I went into the bathroom where she was at the sink in the mirror, and asked her who it was she was talking to. She turned around, and was like "really?" I said, "yeah, I'm sorry. I shouldn't have looked at your texts." I implied it was someone like the person at her old job... blah blah blah... she gave me a look like I was out of line and being ridiculous. To be fair the texts all seemed harmless, but it was still odd to be speaking so personally with a person she just met at her new job 2 weeks ago. That's why I brought it up. They were talking like old friends, and it just struck me as weird. Anyways. We talked a bit, and she started crying. I asked her what's wrong, and she says, "I..... I just feel like I'm losing.... patience. I don't know" We spoke more and I was to the point where I'm not entirely sure she's even "in it" anymore, by the way she says some things. By it, I mean, the relationship. She starts talking about "how she's always so focused on helping other people. How she's always trying to stay happy to make me happy. How she can't keep doing that." After that, it came to "I feel like I'm changing as a person. I feel like I'm on autopilot. I can't be anymore. I can't not focus on me." Now, I totally get that. She has a hard time telling me things that might make me sad/mad/whatever because of her personality... being a pleaser. Another issue she brought up is that she's realizing, in the past few days, how many times my possessiveness and or control issue has affected our lives, our decisions, or whatever else. Like, from the past few years. How so many things now make sense.

We move to the bedroom to talk more.

We're sitting on the bed. She said that there's something about the few years of possessiveness that she just can't handle. Something that isn't sitting right. I said, "fair enough. I understand that." Then, I ask her if she's still in love with me. She immediately says, "Yes, I love you so so much, sweetheart". I said, ".... that isn't what I asked, hun" I then got a silence, teary eyes, and a look that says "I'm not sure". I didn't know what to say... I'm still kind of in shock. I then asked her if she was happy, and she said "yeah, but I can't keep trying to be happy for other people."She starts crying more. She said it's physically and mentally paining her to say this, but "I think I need some time, by myself, to work on me." I told her that was okay, and to take whatever time she needed to figure things out. The rest was kind of a blur, but we cried in eachothers arms a few times, and I said, "hun, if you have to go (to ****'s house, her best girl-friend), please do it. I don't want you to feel like you can't go to figure shit out. I don't want you to feel like it's not an option." She seemed relieved that I said that. It took her a second, but she said, "okay....... I guess I'll get a few things..... and head out." I said okay. I stood there as she packed 2 backpacks and got her laptop. On her way out to the car, I said, "how long until you want me to contact you?" She said, "one or two days, probably..." I helped her to the car, gave her a kiss, and said "if you need anything, call me. I'm here for you." She gave me a kiss again, said I love you, and got in the car. I went inside and she left.

Today, when I got home, I saw that she changed her FB password, because her account info was up on the home PC with her old info and said, "last changed 14 hours ago" Which would be like 2am last night. We have really similar profile pics so I just hit enter on the Facebook main page thinking it was going to log me in.

I'm expecting the worst, but hoping for the best. I know it's so hard to judge because every relationship is different, but believe me when I tell you, it's a special one. Everyone says how jealous they are of us, how cute we are, etc. I just didn't see this ever happening. Do you think that there's a chance she will think about it and come back? Or does it sound like she's probably had enough and is just afraid to tell me straight up?

Sorry for the wall of text, guys. I couldn't TL;DR this if I tried. Please be kind, I know I've fucked up here and there.

You were looking at her phone and snooping around her Facebook without her permission.

You screwed up not her. Your girlfriend was not cheating on you because she was talking to another guy. You were being childish and treated her like a 16 year old her asking why a grown woman cannot talk to another man while she is in a relationship?

You have insecurity issues that need addressing like some people have suggested seek therapy. Nothing your girlfriend did sounds like her fault if you can't trust her you shouldn't be with her. If everyone who was in a relationship got mad at their significant other for talking to someone else of the opposite sex we'd all be single.

Cappa

Banned
Yes it is because op did it without his significant others permission. I personally do not like my girlfriend using my phone or going through my messages. The same way she doesn't like the same.

We trust each other all the same and have nothing to hide. We are adults and even though we are together we don't have a reason to share every single detail of our lives.

The most important part of a relationship is trust if you absolutely feel the need you need to go through your SO messages and Facebook it seems that there are some trust issues

GorillaJu

Trust your instincts and don't try to force it if you do think it's over. No one here can possibly have a good handle on your relationship dynamic even with the detailed story.

You were looking at her phone and snooping around her Facebook without her permission.

You screwed up not her. Your girlfriend was not cheating on you because she was talking to another guy. You were being childish and treated her like a 16 year old her asking why a grown woman cannot talk to another man while she is in a relationship?

You have insecurity issues that need addressing like some people have suggested seek therapy. Nothing your girlfriend did sounds like her fault if you can't trust her you shouldn't be with her. If everyone who was in a relationship got mad at their significant other for talking to someone else of the opposite sex we'd all be single.
This is a bit harsh. Bot are at fault in this. She was looking for attention from other people instead of talking to her boyfriend about the things she felt missing in the relationship. He didn't notice his behavior pushed the girl away towards this. Communication issues that lead to it becoming worse then needed. I think we've all been there are some point.

I don't expect you all to know what sort of person she is, because all you have is a few paragraphs about the situation that paints her in a very bad light. I'm not saying don't make your own assumptions based on facts, I'm saying she's not the terrible woman you all think she is. I'm not being a pushover, I'm not being overly trusting or whatever. I'll tell you why:

I broke it off. Just now. I read through some of you guys replies and it really turned some gears in my head. Especially regarding the Facebook nonsense. Showing pics, etc. You guys were right, she checked out late last year, heard it from her mouth over the phone. Yes, I did this over the phone. Would have been best to save it for face to face, but shit needed said. We both agreed that we need to move on. She said "give me some time" last night to see if the feelings she's having would pass, but I don't think those are feelings that just go away. It's a change in how someone feels. It's fucking sad, and I would have never guessed this would happen, say, pre November. Everything seemed awesome. I don't know what I'm going to do with myself, we did everything together, and, I thought, happily. It's going to be a weird transition. But a good buddy of mine thinks it's for the best, which is nice. It's good to know my friends have my back.

I dunno. I needed to update this. I really have you guys to thank for swaying me in the correct direction. I just didn't want to believe that it could be over.

I'm in two minds about this, as my comparisons are two long term relationships, and your girlfriend seems like my EX

My Ex:
Was a lovely girl, happy, bubbly, would do anything for anyone - very similar to yours
This was obviously to mask her own insecurities, focusing on someone else so she need not look inward and see what she didn't like, again i'd suspect yours is similar in this respect.
I was with her 4 years (she was 18 to 22 when we split), i was trusting i loved her she loved me, the rose tinted glasses were truly on.
She used to go out on a Friday with her cousins and best friends, but about the 3 year point this changed, her cousins and most friends al had kids then, so she went out with one girl. I thought nothing of this until she started mentioning some guys who were friends of her friend - i'll admit i was suspicious, two girls and two guys regularly starting going out, so i asked her and was met with scorn for not trusting her.

Time passed, i stopped hearing about the guys, she got a new job at a hotel but we grew distant, (a few names at her new job popped up again mainly male) we'd still go and do the same things, but when there she'd socialise with our friends, and we became less and less intimate (yeah no sex for around 7 months).
Enough was enough so i called her on it, and she said she wasn't sure she loved me, that i'd become possessive and we needed time apart, she then moved out to her mothers the next day (which i should point out, she seemed to abandon her mother when she moved in with me, saw her maybe once a month).

By the end of the week she told me we should see other people, i like you was devastated, unsure what had gone wrong, and briefly tired to talk to her and was ignored.

Then out of the blue she called me one night to ask if (old buddy old pall like) i would give her a lift into town, i was busy so refused and to be honest i found it cheeky as hell, she then blocked me on facebook at the 10 day point.

Not so long after, she fell out with her friend, I was friends with her husband, and she told all hen i next saw her - the Guys who were just friends? she slept with them both
she also slept with clients at the Hotel (eventually got sacked when management found out), you see this girl changed and i didn't realise it - looking back i wish i'd done what you did and check her phone, because despite not noticing at the time, she never let her phone out of sight, when it went she clutched it like a winning lottery ticket and always angled it away from me.
After the relationship and looking back i could see the signs, the subtle changes, could this be similar to you OP? could you have not noticed the girl you know change? and that desire to help others actually be used be her as a mask for a cheat? long and the short its definitely over

NateDog

Sorry it came to that OP but it sounds like it was the right call, I wish you the best of luck in the future. Also I trust you on what you say about her, it sounds kind of similar to my GF in a way but you can't really tell exactly what a person is like as you say from reading a few paragraphs so there's only so much for other people to go on. Honestly this thread kind of scares me, I've only been with my GF almost 2 years but I've had similar worries and some similar situations (us getting together when she's relatively young, type of person she is, being a bit more dependent at times, etc.). I've always worried about our age gap not for things like maturity or simply how we treat each other, but when it comes to other issues like having kids (she wants to have them earlier because I am older to make sure I'll be at a good age to be with them, but that will mean she won't get the years of freedom as an adult she needs) and I always worry she wants to be out there partying and a time will come where she wants to meet new guys and just have flings and whatnot, even if she doesn't know she might feel it I'm sure there's an inkling there of it in her despite it not being something she would seem likely to want to do, maybe because everyone in her family was telling her that's what she should do instead of dating me when we met. I'll just have to hope that that won't happen and that I make the right moves for both of our sakes, if that will change anything.

Anywho apologies as I am derailing this thread, I'm sorry this has happened to you OP, I can't imagine how difficult it is, GAF is always here for you though man.

breakfuss

I don't like the snooping shit either but it doesn't absolve her of talking to dudes on FB inappropriately. Maybe she didn't cheat in the physical sense but who knows where it may have led to. Not cool.

Booser

Hey guys. Sorry to here about your ex OP, and also the guy with the ten year marriage. Unfortunately it takes two to work on a relationship and in both cases it seems the girl has checked out and is unwilling to do that.

I should know. My gf and I broke up yesterday. I had intended to move to the US to be with her. While on this visit she became distant and cold the last few days, says she doesn't know if she loves me anymore because I feel "disconnected". We agreed that if it was a normal relationship and not long distance it's something we could have worked on. Unfortunately at this point in my life -both with family commitments and financial restraints - I can't just up and leave. I can't leave everything behind right now and risk it all on someone who is unsure of me. She agreed and apologised.

So my flight home is this evening and yeah I feel like crap being here in this situation with no family or friends for support. But I've been through worse breakups before so I know I'll be ok.

And so will you guys! We are in this together bros!

PixelPeZ

And so will you guys! We are in this together bros!

AVWHQrFap5taU.gif

jroc74

Phone reception is more important to me than human rights

Amazing post.

This is a bit harsh. Bot are at fault in this. She was looking for attention from other people instead of talking to her boyfriend about the things she felt missing in the relationship. He didn't notice his behavior pushed the girl away towards this. Communication issues that lead to it becoming worse then needed. I think we've all been there are some point.

Yup.

I think most reasonable folks would categorize the november facebooking with another guy as an emotional affair (pictures exchanged, romance novel-esque communiques), and outside the normal course of platonic relationships, if one of course believes in such a thing as an emotional affair. The sort of thing that creates and exacerbates trust issues particularly if not appropriately addressed by the parties, as we have here. To say that nothing the girlfriend did was her fault seems a bit overboard.

E92 M3

Girls in serious relationships don't talk to other guys for fun unless they have been friends for a long time, but even it's probably questionable.

It's been over for a while OP :(

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom