• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

All Oscar Nominees to receive a gift bag worth $200k

Status
Not open for further replies.
These gift bags must just get so annoying for them.

Another gift bag.
Well I remember seeing something on Paris Hilton and when she's in Japan she gives the gift bags she gets over there to that one hardcore fan that stalks her. The lady pretty much just chills and nerds out when she sees Paris and gets free stuff.

Lol there was also a baseball player that leaves gift bags for the chick's he has one night stands with.

How do the trips work? Is there just going to be a 10 day stretch in Israel where there's a bunch of actors roaming around the place or do they all go at different times?

Saya

How do the trips work? Is there just going to be a 10 day stretch in Israel where there's a bunch of actors roaming around the place or do they all go at different times?

This except with famous actors and in Israel?

1688.jpg

That's not much in comparison to the millions of dollars they get for each film role. It's just another perk of being rich and successful.

MattKeil

BIGTIME TV MOGUL #2
That's not much in comparison to the millions of dollars they get for each film role. It's just another perk of being rich and successful.

No, but it's pretty cool if you're a nominee for sound editing or short documentary subject or something like that. Most of the nominees at the Oscars are not millionaire celebrities.

dogstar

Banned
First class airplane tickets and 5-star hotels with all meals included for 3/4 people?

I guess Hollywoods idea of a 'walking holiday' is slightly different to mine :)

I bet Leo will love this.... he likes a good walk.

Found this on reddit of all the noms...

There are a few people in this pic I like and respect... Roger Deakins for one [a nice down to earth guy and epic tog]... but that really is a room full of 'smug'... yuk!

Einchy

semen stains the mountaintops
I guess Hollywoods idea of a 'walking holiday' is slightly different to mine :)

I bet Leo will love this.... he likes a good walk.

There are a few people in this pic I like and respect... Roger Deakins for one [a nice down to earth guy and epic tog]... but that really is a room full of 'smug'... yuk!

What makes you dislike them so much? And how can you tell they're smug from just that picture?

Jumeira

Banned
Man, Sopranos had an episode based on award hampers this this. Amazing episode.

Edit: Beaten with a baseball bat.
Does the israel 10 days trip include firing rockets at palestinians ? Sounds like a blast
You get to sign the rocket aimed at hospitals and infrastructure.

dogstar

Banned
What makes you dislike them so much? And how can you tell they're smug from just that picture?

I find the whole Hollywood world/circus/freak show distasteful and unpleasant. There are some great people in the industry for sure, but its at the smaller indy end of the spectrum where the most interesting stuff really happens, and where the most genuine people are to be found.

T

Transhuman

Unconfirmed Member
Why a sex toy? I can kinda understand some of it, but female celebs are hardly gonna go round saying what a good time they've had with it are they.

You've never lived until you've pleasured yourself under a blanket while on your first class plane flight to Israel.

That is nice for those folks but WHY.
The money they will spend on this is better used for the industry to hire more folks and better pay those who already work in the industry.

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
No, but it's pretty cool if you're a nominee for sound editing or short documentary subject or something like that. Most of the nominees at the Oscars are not millionaire celebrities.
Those people aren't getting these gifts. This stuff only gets thrown at the acting and directing categories.

Something I wondered about Hollywood films was if there isn't some huge embezzlement of movie budgets going on. I mean some movies look like made for TV but cost almost 200 mil.

Why a sex toy? I can kinda understand some of it, but female celebs are hardly gonna go round saying what a good time they've had with it are they.

most likely some % of the budget is being siphoned but for these gift bag things the Oscar people are getting paid to put the gift's in the bag so $0 comes out of their pocket

hollomat

Banned
I'm surprised no ones brought it up before, but these gift bags are taxable income to any celebrity who accepts them. So although it may be $200,000 of "free stuff" it may not be worth the extra $200,000 income they'd be taxed on.

I imagine a bunch of the stuff was free, given for publicity reasons.

By just giving it to a bunch of actors the manufacturer can then go and say it's the "sex toy of the stars" legitimizing its $250 price tag.

Nicktendo86

For 200k that is a hell of a lot of shit. I don't think I would want any of that, and I can't think of any mega rich celebs who would either. What's the point?

kruis

Exposing the sinister cartel of retailers who allow companies to pay for advertising space.
Oscar nominees in this year’s major categories will go home with a gift bag worth $200,000

So only actors, actresses and perhaps directors get the AAA goodie bags.No goodies for you if make short animated movies, documentaries or you're working behind the scenes (costumes, music, editing, scripts, special fx, etc).

Matt

So only actors, actresses and perhaps directors get the AAA goodie bags.No goodies for you if make short animated movies, documentaries or you're working behind the scenes (costumes, music, editing, scripts, special fx, etc).
Right, which is perfectly logical.

kruis

Exposing the sinister cartel of retailers who allow companies to pay for advertising space.
For 200k that is a hell of a lot of shit. I don't think I would want any of that, and I can't think of any mega rich celebs who would either. What's the point?

Advertising.

btrboyev

Trip to Isreal huh...and they say it's only a gag that old rich Jewish men run Hollywood.

doesn't everyone that attends the Oscars get gift bags as well?

Matt

Being sponsored by a terrorist state just doesn't make the oscars look good

In what way are the Oscars "sponsored by a terrorist state"? It's a vacation package to a exotic country for nominees, they aren't putting up IDF ads during the commercial breaks.

btrboyev said:
Trip to Isreal huh...and they say it's only a gag that old rich Jewish men run Hollywood.

OK WTF is going on here!?

In what way are the Oscars "sponsored by a terrorist state"? It's a vacation package to a exotic country for nominees, they aren't putting up IDF ads during the commercial breaks.
These gift bags are literally advertisement for whatever is in there, in that case israel ? Just like lizora or silvercar to name other gifts

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom