• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gigantic Beta Discussion Thread

Warxard

Banned
Yes, the NDA has been dropped.

s.jpg

What is Gigantic?

Motiga said:
Gigantic is a free-to-play, over-the-shoulder third person, fast-paced, tactical, team-based, action shooter, with classic MOBA elements set to a fantasy theme. In short, we call it a “shooter MOBA,” since the game plays similar to, draws a good deal of inspiration from, and ultimately innovates on both genres.

In Gigantic, two five-man teams of heroes fight head-to-head in a fast-paced fight for supremacy over the battlefield. Each team fights alongside a massive guardian: a five-story mythical creature who is the key to victory or defeat in every battle. The primary goal is to win the power race for your guardian, who then rampages across the battlefield and strikes a blow at the enemy Guardian. Attack them when they’re vulnerable, wound them three times, and win the day for you and your team!

Game: Gigantic
Developer: Motiga
Publisher: Microsoft Studios
Platforms: Xbox One, PC (Windows 10 requirement)

How do you /play/ the beta.
Currently, it's not available publicly and you have to sign up on the site at gogigantic.com But, they're sending beta codes out at a pretty fast rate so you should be able to get in soon!

Alright, I got the beta installed! ...How do you play this?

summoning_circle.png

How the game plays:

Motiga said:
From the moment you leave the airship, the game is about controlling the battlefield! Around the map are a number of capture points where you’re able to summon allies who guard the point, gather power for your guardian, and aid your team in their fight against the enemy. Each creature you summon brings a unique set of buffs to the fight - in some cases changing the battlefield itself by sealing passages to enemies and opening others for your team.

Before you get into the match, you can set your creature loadout, unlock new creatures, and work with your team to decide where to summon each creature on the different points around the map. Each creature family provides a different buff to your team:

•Bloomers – heals nearby allies and creates healing pools around the point for your team
•Cerberus – reveals enemies on the minimap
•Cyclops – creates protective wall(s) around the point
•Drake – periodically bombards enemies with a powerful siege attack

Experiment with summoning different creatures on different points to find out what is most effective for you and your team!

empowered_guardian.png

Motiga said:
The Guardian is the heart of your team, and is the key to victory on the battlefield. The goal of every battle is to defeat the enemy’s guardian while defending yours, which can only be done by winning the race to power up your guardian.

Power is what gives a guardian the strength they need strike the enemy guardian and make it vulnerable. The only time that you’re able to hurt the enemy’s guardian is when it’s vulnerable, so winning the power race is a critical part of defeating your opponents. By capturing and controlling summoning circles, collecting power orbs, outplaying your opponents, and stealing power from the enemy guardian, you gain power for your own guardian. Power your guardian to full and follow it into enemy territory as it assaults the enemy guardian. Once the enemy guardian is vulnerable, strike its weak point for massive damage.

If the enemy wins the power race, it’s time to go on the defensive. Kill enemy heroes and take their points – doing so will build up a magical shield that protects your guardian and diminishes the amount of damage that the enemy team can deal. Punish them and strike back during the next power race!

What's the cast?

Here are all of the current, playable heroes: https://www.gogigantic.com/en/heroes

Motiga said:
Every hero in the Gigantic roster brings a different set a skills, a unique play style, and their own distinct strategies to the battlefield. Whether you prefer diving right into the fray, taking shots at your opponents from afar, setting traps for them to trip, or tripping them up with a sneaky assassin, there is a hero for everyone’s play style and comfort zone. In time, you’ll begin to build entire teams around the different skills and abilities that each hero brings to the game, and will develop new tactics and strategies to counter and conquer your opponents!

By default, each hero comes with five base skills.

While a hero’s base skills define what sort of attacks, utility, and buffs they bring to the battlefield, you get to play an active role in how your hero evolves throughout each and every match. Instead of automatically growing in power with each level, you are instead given the opportunity to customize your hero in two ways - each of which allow you to tailor your hero to your specific play style:
•SKILL UPGRADES (Every Level) -- Each level, you will gain a skill point which can be used to upgrade one of your hero skills. Every skill (except your powerful focus attack) has two upgrade tiers, meaning you'll have just enough points by the end of the match to evolve every one of your skills.
•TALENTS (Level 3, 5, 7, and 9) -- Talents are slightly more passive abilities which act as supplements to your preferred play style. While they don't directly change the way your skills work, they allow you to evolve the overall power and role of your hero in the battle.

While talents provide passive bonuses which bolster the power or presence of your hero in the fight, skill upgrades allow you to actively augment and evolve your skills in a way which influences the balance of combat. Rather than unlocking skills throughout the course of the match, every level you earn instead gives you the opportunity to evolve one of your five base skills. Whether boosting them to pack a bigger punch, changing their behavior to throw off your enemies and switch up your style, or adding additional effects to improve the versatility of your skill, every upgrade is an opportunity to make your hero a more formidable force on the battlefield.

Upgrade your skills at every opportunity! There are no items to worry about in Gigantic, so you can jump right in with a hero that suits your play style. Everything comes down to skill, strategy, and your ability to master your favorite heroes!

SJBfeFV.jpg

TOP ROW: Tyto The Swift, The Margrave, Imani, Beckett, Xenobia, Uncle Sven, Tripp, Lord Knossos
BOTTOM ROW: Charnok, HK-206, Voden, Vadasi, Griselma, Mozu, Wu, Aisling

Why should I play this MOBA when I could just play DOTA

Gigantic is much more unconventional of a MOBA. There's points to control and push but it's more along the lines of how Control Points work in TF2. The monsters mostly act as a turret to attack/defend/heal, and most of the action comes from the combat between heroes. I like to draw comparisons between it being a meld of Smite and TF2.

screenshots

Videos

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ehI_S_dRS8s - Teamplay video
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zL3ugUfX2z8 - Devs play Gigantic

impressions:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IYAJ_PWypks - The Killer Bits
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6W_SJOKUVjI - Joshino

--

If there's any other thing that other Gigantic players would like to add to the OP, please let me know! And...uh, let's play!

Haha didn't expect to see a thread about Gigantic popping up here. Been playing this for some time now and if people have any questions i'll be happy to answer them

Also OP you might want to add that every Hero get skill points with each level up to level 10 and that they can upgrade their skills with it. As well as getting talents at levels 3, 5, 7 and 9. Been using http://builder.ggunleashed.com to check out the upgrades outside of game, been really helpful for me so far at least

The game is alot of fun (though some what confusing to a noob). The art and animation are fantastic. It's more of a hero shooter than a moba which is fine by me. They need to get more people in the beta because mm takes forever.

i signed up the e3 they debuted this I think

still haven't gotten an email back other than a happy holidays from motiga lol

same thing for fable legends

Warxard

Banned
At least with the NDA gone, maybe the beta will be going open soon? I get they're testing crossplay but...sheeeesh

godhandiscen

There are millions of whiny 5-year olds on Earth, and I AM THEIR KING.
I played the tutorial on X1. I enjoyed it. It feels super smooth, and the graphics are great.

During the evenings for the developers (PST), some of the devs stream as well. They seem to be handing out quite a lot of keys during that actually

speedomodel

Was really interested in this one, but what I played made me lose interest for now. Will give it another go when it releases.

They've got some work to do with interface and feedback, but I really enjoy the core gameplay loop. Diverse set of heroes, really cool art direction.

They've got some work to do with interface and feedback, but I really enjoy the core gameplay loop. Diverse set of heroes, really cool art direction.
Yes i definitely agree. UI needs a masive upgrade. I believe Motiga said they are working on that on the forums. So here is hoping they'll deliver a good UI

I put in for a Beta invite but haven't gotten in yet. Can anyone who has gotten their hands on it confirm if it avoids the problem so many MOBAs have where the combat feel like swinging at air instead of actually hitting something?

I put in for a Beta invite but haven't gotten in yet. Can anyone who has gotten their hands on it confirm if it avoids the problem so many MOBAs have where the combat feel like swinging at air instead of actually hitting something?

I'd honestly recommend to watch some streams and some of the gameplay videos to see how it looks to you. To me it feels solid, but everyone has their own take on it

Warxard

Banned

I mean, you do slow down/difficult to escape when you're getting hit.

wuth

When I played back in the day, this was one of my two biggest gripes with it. It feels like you're swinging at air 90% of the time. There's no real feedback and hitstun is non-existent.

Second problem I had was that there's too much of a focus on kills. I thought the game would be about supporting giant monsters as they stomp towards each other then duke it out, but it's not. It's get some kills> monster opens weak point> kill monster. Last summer, nearly every game I played ended in overtime.

Xiaoki

Thats actually one of the biggest problems I had with the game.

Combine very little hit feedback with over the top special effects obscuring vision and you get a horrible time if you're melee.

When I played back in the day, this was one of my two biggest gripes with it. It feels like you're swinging at air 90% of the time. There's no real feedback and hitstun is non-existent.

Second problem I had was that there's too much of a focus on kills. I thought the game would be about supporting giant monsters as they stomp towards each other then duke it out, but it's not. It's get some kills> monster opens weak point> kill monster. Last summer, nearly every game I played ended in overtime.
All games end with the clash, it triggers once one of the guardians gets down to a third of their health.

GRIMREEFZ

i read this morning the studio behind this, Motiga is suffered layoffs this morning. Our best goes out to those impacted.

Played one match and it was pretty fun. Finding games takes some time though, also odd thing is that b button is to cancel matchmaking which is kinda frustrating if you forget about it and have to start all over.

Mesoian

Super shocked that this game doesn't support any sort of controller support. There's joy 2 key but...come on man? I know it's a beta but this is also an xbone game. Seems like it should be there by default.

The resolution stuff needs to get ironed out too, the game is going absolutely nuts on windows 10.

Dang for such an amazing game I feel like it's getting looked over a lot. This game is a blast to play with friends and has a little bit of something for everybody, also the developers of this game really care about it and it shows with some of their past streams. I just hope that temporary layoff news is exactly what it is and they can all go back to their jobs and finish this game because once all of it gets ironed out I really think this game will do great.
For the people who are playing the beta who are some of your favorite characters? I don't play many but Beckett and xenobia are great characters and just click for me.

wapplew

Love the art direction, color, character design and top notch animation too!
Played a few games yesterday, feel a little too quick and chaotic to me, will play more to get a hang of it.

Since I play support role on every moba, which support class is the best? Female preferable.

VariantX

So far this runs pretty well on my PC which is probably below mid spec by today's standards. I was kind of afraid it would run like crap but it stays roughly a good bit north of 30 fps with stuff turned to medium/high settings. It looks nice and clean and it feels really simple to get into and be useful to your team. I'm only going off impressions from playing it a couple of times though.

Love the art direction, color, character design and top notch animation too!
Played a few games yesterday, feel a little too quick and chaotic to me, will play more to get a hang of it.

Since I play support role on every moba, which support class is the best? Female preferable.
If your looking for support, vadasi might be your girl then. I haven't played her but my friends have, she's good as a healer and can really help to keep teammates alive in team fights, she's takes a second to get used to because of how she works. Takes a couple matches until you know if you like a character cause the first is always understanding how it works.

Dang for such an amazing game I feel like it's getting looked over a lot. This game is a blast to play with friends and has a little bit of something for everybody, also the developers of this game really care about it and it shows with some of their past streams. I just hope that temporary layoff news is exactly what it is and they can all go back to their jobs and finish this game because once all of it gets ironed out I really think this game will do great.
For the people who are playing the beta who are some of your favorite characters? I don't play many but Beckett and xenobia are great characters and just click for me.

Speaking of dev streams, they streamed a new map last night. The VOD for anyone interested.

Speaking of dev streams, they streamed a new map last night. The VOD for anyone interested.
Yeah which looks amazing btw, the past couple streams have been showing what's coming up or their plans and ideas for the game and it's making me like the game even more and can't wait for the updates. If you like the character designs then just see some of the skins for the characters. They are absolutely amazing, the developers of this game really need props for the art style because the colors and looks of this game never get old.

wapplew

If your looking for support, vadasi might be your girl then. I haven't played her but my friends have, she's good as a healer and can really help to keep teammates alive in team fights, she's takes a second to get used to because of how she works. Takes a couple matches until you know if you like a character cause the first is always understanding how it works.

I played her for few match, But I don't know why my healing is not that effective as in low heal amount.
Very low if you compare to a healing monster. Maybe I play her wrong or something, need to read more about her talent.

HooYaH

Yeah which looks amazing btw, the past couple streams have been showing what's coming up or their plans and ideas for the game and it's making me like the game even more and can't wait for the updates. If you like the character designs then just see some of the skins for the characters. They are absolutely amazing, the developers of this game really need props for the art style because the colors and looks of this game never get old.

Who knows if the updates will come with their rate of losing employees.

I've been playing this for a little over a week now and the more i play the harder this game hooks me. I can honestly say i have enjoyed every class i've found myself playing and right now im working on mastering Tyto, Hk and Vad. Once you really understand the meta of this game, matches start getting nail bitingly intense with legendary comeback possibilities.

Right now i have 2 buddies i consistently play with nightly but would love to get some more people on my friends list with gigantic so i can queue with reliable people. Shoot me a pm for my gamertag if you need people to play with.

Nothings worse then getting a couple randoms that attempt to upgrade towers in combat, turn healers into detectors in the middle of the map, feed trying to back door/gank and then inevitably leave.

...im sure you'll all get a chance to meet that guy.

Who knows if the updates will come with their rate of losing employees.
Hope things turn around and everybody can get their jobs back. They just seem to be going through a rough patch and for the games sake I hope they can get through it because it would be a shame for the developers and this game if it never goes out of beta.

Top Bottom