• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

god damn this DOOM box art is bad

Not terrible but considering how iconic DooM 1+2's box arts were, this is pretty disappointing. They did say that they wanted to capture the attention of the younger gaming audience (in other words, the CoD and BF crowd), so I guess generic FPS cover art is one of those steps?

Game itself looks to be turning out great though, will place my pre-order soon.

Not terrible but considering how iconic DooM 1+2's box arts were, this is pretty disappointing. They did say that they wanted to capture the attention of the younger gaming audience (in other words, the CoD and BF crowd), so I guess generic FPS cover art is one of those steps?

Yeah but I mean even CoD covers have some sort of character to them e.g. the character being in a particular pose. He's literally holding the gun. There's no pose whatsoever. He's not firing the gun, reloading it. He's totally relaxed. He might as well be the guard at a UAC farmer's market.

Oh is it? I didn't realize that. Came up on a Google image search and I thought it was pretty damn good!

Edit: yep, you're right.

Yeah, the general trend is that official box art is the marketing/focus testing-approved cover (which is why they tend to be very generic/same-ey because That's What Sells) while limited edition and reversible covers tend to be something meant to appeal to existing fans.

Calabi

Yeah, the general trend is that official box art is the marketing/focus testing-approved cover (which is why they tend to be very generic/same-ey because That's What Sells) while limited edition and reversible covers tend to be something meant to appeal to existing fans.

Does it sell though? I mean I'd be interested to know, how they found out that the most generic dull looking cover is the one that sells the best.

JNT

WN6LdXG.jpg

That's the best "serious one" IMO. Good job!
I'd print a full cover based on that for sure.

Yep. I like this one.

Eppy Thatcher

God's had his chance.
Should be like a Khorne "Skulls for the SKULL THRONE" type of motif here...

Just a sweeping view of hell. That'd sell me.

that mars/skull red mashup one is pretty great too.

Happy to see this box cover getting so much backlash. Hopefully now devs will realize they should try new shit instead of boring nameless brooding angry male character with guns and looking at the camera...or at least we think he is if it weren't for his also generic helmet.

darkinstinct

...lacks reading comprehension.
While the official cover is rather bland seeing the alternatives in this thread I am glad that there is still more to designing a decent cover than just copy & paste jobs. Pretending that the closeup skull with Mars hovering above it, terribly occluded by the logo, is in any way better than the official cover is very worrying. What's that supposed to market, a new Marble Blast in hell? At least the official cover transports what the game is about, which is the job of a cover.

Just looking at it makes me feel like a badass. I can't even begin to imagine how badass I'll be feeling when I actually play it.

Newboi

I'm just hoping the game makes up for the poor boxart lol.

On another note, I'm wondering who the game's final boss will be. We've already been show the Cyberdemon, so I assume he wouldn't be it? Spider mastermind maybe? An entirely new entity?

Fuck power armor has too many details these days. There is just too much to look at. It's the same with Master Chief.
Both the armor and the guns in this game have too many random boxes and lines that make zero sense and actively look bad.

"In the future everything will be made of interlocking components less than five inches in length."

KORNdoggy

I had forgotten how bad was the design of the Doom 3 title. At least that part improved, just a stylized white letters.

Doom 3 logo was so overdesigned. Metallic texture AND bezel and 3d effect AND orange + teal color scheme.

weirdly the logo perfectly mimics the game itself in the sense it was a very heavily bump mapped title that looked plastic.

weirdly the logo perfectly mimics the game itself in the sense it was a very heavily bump mapped title that looked plastic.

Doom 3 couldn't (or didn't) use multiple specular power levels, so everything was treated the same, this means pipes and skin were both "shiny".

lazygecko

The new box art is beyond generic, boring and horrible. It's like something you would get for generic iOS FPS shovel-ware game. After the excellent Wolfenstein reboot cover art, this is a major letdown.

Some cool recent Doom box art that doesn't suck and looks modern.

doom-3-limited-collectors-edition.jpg

I kind of hate how the title is not perfectly centered because of the 3.

Because people would read it like that, like F-Three-ar (F3AR), or F-four-ntastic (F4ntastic).

I screwed up, that's not what I meant at all actually, sorry.

I meant BELOW the Doom logo but fitting into the nooks kind of like puzzle pieces created by the sharp bottom edges of the lettering.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
From OrgnGr1nd3r:

Just take the og doom box art and make it from the pov of marine . Left hand grabbing hell knights throat , right hand ( with db shotty )about to blow one of the demon climbing the hill and right leg stomping imp . horde climbing in the background .Too much content but can be fitted in the boxart

WN6LdXG.jpg

That's the best "serious one" IMO. Good job!
I'd print a full cover based on that for sure.

This is probably my favourite. I really like planet imagery and this nicely but subtly emphasises the demon invasion.

Maybe something like this since they like the revenant so much?

aNzLLPO.jpg

Yeah that's a good one.

I know this is sort of the same format, but I would be much happier with this:

a3XOikG.jpg

Shit I made during lunch break

Love all of these. I think they'd all be better as the box art, and I find the generic Section 8 space marine to be really chronically uninteresting.

This got a chuckle out of me. Nice work :)

Yopis

Why does COD and BF get lumped together? Different games with different crowds.

Top Bottom