• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam | 02.2016 - Orangeade

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dsyndrome

This is an Off-Topic post, but people have discussed in here.

I'm kind of disappointed with the X-Files miniseries. It's great from a nostalgia standpoint, but it doesn't seem to be going fuck all anywhere. Two episodes left and they're still piling on questions without resolving shit.
Only the first and last have anything to do with the overall story. This week was Scully coming to terms with letting folks go, including
her son
, and last week was how Mulder got his mojo back.

First episode was by far the worst, they've gotten better each week in my opinion, and it tops ratings each Monday, so it's good to bet it'll have more episodes.

b19apnA.gif

Final proof mobiles are evil incarnate.

I think that phone's got some C Virus strains in it.

tuxfool

Banned
Holy fuck, in light of the piracy argument earlier, here is something really abusive. There was somebody on the Firewatch OT, that played the entire game, decided he didn't like it and then requested a refund (he was granted it despite playing for more than two hours).

What is worse is that he thinks this is perfectly justifiable.

The first one is strange, since it would include Screenshots...

Holy fuck, in light of the piracy argument earlier, here is something really abusive. There was somebody on the Firewatch OT, that played the entire game, decided he didn't like it and then requested a refund (he was granted it despite playing for more than two hours).

Wasnt there some journalist from Polygon or some site that said to do the same with The Beginners Guide.

haha oh man Steam is shooting itself in the foot.

lashman

Steam-GAF's Official Ambassador to Gaming-GAF
Namco Is Offering $10,000 To Anyone Who Can Actually Explain Dark Souls' Story

Dark Souls fans are trying to win $10,000 by making videos attempting to explain the game’s confusing narrative, and a few of them are pretty brilliant.

The “My Dark Souls Story” contest, which concluded last night, is supposed to help explain Dark Souls 3 to a player who hasn’t played the previous two games. As someone who has dumped hundreds of hours into the Souls games, I barely grasp what’s happening because narrative has never been at the series’ core.

(Fans who are deep into the mythology will probably argue with me on that one. I’m not saying Dark Souls doesn’t contain interesting and moving stories, but they’re purposely obtuse. It’s not at the forefront.)

This confusion is what makes this contest particularly funny, and why I’m so impressed by the creativity and ingenuity of the few I’ve scrolled through.

“Biography of the Chosen Undead: The Dark Souls Story,” by Nerdy Inc., chooses to the mockumentary format, taking the storyline as historical fact.

“Embers” is a more serious affair, and appears to liberally use Valve’s Source Filmmaker to create a more cinematic vibe than the games normally give off.

“Death Is The Beginning” has a similar vibe, but the original artwork is gorgeous, and actually comes across as a video you might see in the game.

The winner has not yet been announced.

Between this and the recently revealed opening for Dark Souls 3, my body is ready. Bring on life, bring on death. Most importantly, bring on Dark Souls 3.

Nzyme32

Sounds good, I'm going to have to check this out. If it's totally usable without big picture mode that gets rid of one of my biggest gripes with the controller.

Unfortunately this is just their early step in that direction. While you can do all the setup for games, you still can't use the keyboard or alter the Windows bindings stuff on the desktop; you have to go to BPM or have BPM minimised. Also in game you have to use the BPM overlay for some of the controller features like touch menus. Having said that, from what I can tell, performance is better on the desktop even using the BPM style overlay

Wasnt there some journalist from Polygon or some site that said to do the same with The Beginners Guide.

It wasn't exactly that. Laura Kate Dale from Destructoid added a disclaimer saying that if you thought that something that happened in the game (which she didn't want to spoil) made you not want to support the developer, then you should avoid playing for more than 2 hours so you could get a refund.
She didn't advocate doing that, but she added that disclaimer after some people asked her for it.

Nzyme32

That was Laura Dale of Destructoid / Jimquisition / Her own blog. She made that claim in her Destructoid review. Stupid idea.

Amazing that Valve have avoided this for so long. Most services have these I think. If it is true that Valve intend to expand Steam into movies / music more, then this is probably going to get more scrutiny

It wasn't exactly that. Laura Kate Dale from Destructoid added a disclaimer saying that if you thought that something that happened in the game (which she didn't want to spoil) made you not want to support the developer, then you should avoid playing for more than 2 hours so you could get a refund.
She didn't advocate doing that, but she added that disclaimer after some people asked her for it.

I played the game, but I dont have any clue what she meant that something in the game happens that wouldnt want you to support the dev...

Nzyme32

I played the game, but I dont have any clue what she meant that something in the game happens that wouldnt want you to support the dev...

She believes that people will conclude
the game is factual, in which case they will feel ethically obliged to grab a refund. In my opinion, that has to be an absurd minority of people not taking common sense into account.

Since you played the game (I didn't, but I ended up reading about the big spoiler) I'll leave the spoiler here:

WARNING: big spoiler for The Beginner's Guide!

The game strongly hints that the narrator is sharing Coda's work without the author's permission (which would be piracy or even worse, since it was private work)

Some people got it that way and asked her why she was promoting piracy.

That's why she added that disclaimer.

She believes that people will conclude
the game is factual, in which case they will feel ethically obliged to grab a refund. In my opinion, that has to be an absurd minority of people not taking common sense into account

It's not exactly that (the original version of her piece on the game didn't include that disclaimer, some people told her what I wrote in the spoiler/ what you wrote in your post)

I think that the real reason for her article blowing up the way it did is quite different.

Since you played the game (I didn't, but I ended up reading about the big spoiler) I'll leave the spoiler here:

The game strongly hints that the narrator is sharing Coda's work without the author's permission (which would be piracy or even worse, since it was private work)

It's not exactly that (the original version of her piece on the game didn't include that disclaimer, some people told her what I wrote in the spoiler/ what you wrote in your post)

I think that the real reason for her article blowing up the way it did is quite different.

Must be quite stupid to come to that conclusion honestly...

Nzyme32

Ah I see.

Jawmuncher

Ultra Street Fighter IV isn't too bad on the steam controller. My only issue is that the face buttons are smaller than on 360. So some inputs feel a bit hard to do. Though if I were to mess around with it and put grab and focus on the back pedals. That would fix a lot of the issues.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom