• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

XCOM 2 |OT| Be Aggressive! Be Be Aggressive!

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
Honest Trailers X-COM

Wait is the honest trailers guy the voice actor in the game? At first I thought it was just a joke because they sound similar but he keeps hammering it in lol

ISee

A Muton decided to show up during my second retaliation mission and nearly killed half of my squad. But to be honest overall my ironman commander playthrough goes okayish. Just one 'man' down and 4 gravely wounded so far (~9 missions in). But I expect things to get much worse.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
Thanks.

I just blew up a car with my grenade launcher in a single turn.. how did I do that? Usually when things are going to explode it doesn't happen until the next turn.

They blow up instantly with grenades, I use that alot for extra damage on aliens taking cover (like they do to us fuckers)

I gave up on legendary mode... I decided to go with commander + larger pod size mod + the LWS mods (minus the officer one).

So far going pretty good. I like the larger pod size, but maybe I should even increase it another unit tbh. After struggling to get far in legendary, commander seems quite easy even with the increased difficulty because your units heal, train, and level up fast enough that it doesn't feel like a loss to get a gravely wounded... even without the AWC.

Falk

that puzzling face
I feel like Legendary requires a far more optimized strategic game than it does a far more optimized tactical game. Every resource counts and getting too many scientists instead of engineers will wipe you.

Man, I'm torn on this game. I love the on-the-ground stuff and tactics-esque gameplay. I find the metagame stuff really interesting. But damn, it's so stressful and you're being bombarded with choices that I feel like I'm constantly fucking up.

Yup, I restarted because of that

I reckon I should too. I'm pretty much fucked atm. Avatar thing filled up because I wasted a lot of time trying to figure out how to contact New India, thought I was lacking intel or something. Now I've done India and Indonesia back to back and only managed to knock off 2 notches from the bar. My crew is thrashed to shit and there are at least 2 intermediate steps before I can contact South America.

Goodbye planet Earth.

Lingitiz

Man, I'm torn on this game. I love the on-the-ground stuff and tactics-esque gameplay. I find the metagame stuff really interesting. But damn, it's so stressful and you're being bombarded with choices that I feel like I'm constantly fucking up.

It's pretty stressful early on when you're strapped for resources and the avatar clock is staring you down. The only advice I would give is don't feel too intimidated by the countdown and try to adequately research and build items so that the missions you do decide to take turn out successful.

Sciz

Got all used to my huge arsenal of toys at the end of Veteran and now the early Commander game is destroying me. So many aliens, so few grenades.

KzkeFlz.gif

Man, I feel like I can play XCOM 2 forever. Every mission has its moments...

Rhaknar

KzkeFlz.gif

Man, I feel like I can play XCOM 2 forever. Every mission has its moments...

To be fair your guy is disoriented. Can they even hit like they? Ive never them or disoriented enemies hit a shot

Erheller

To be fair your guy is disoriented. Can they even hit like they? Ive never them or disoriented enemies hit a shot

Disoriented applies a -20% aim malus on affected units, I think (Acid is -30% but doesn't prevent abilities). I learned the hard way that half cover is still no cover even against disoriented enemies :(

Uriah

Finished the game on veteran.

Spoilers for the final mission:
Oh god I lost so many soldiers at the end. I thought the final section would be a cakewalk like it was in EU/EW so I used most of my consumables in the run up to the final fight. That was a mistake. Only 3 soldiers survived.

Man, this game is so hard. I enjoy the gameplay, and the base building stuff. Its just hard to want to continue when you just see red text, followed by disappointing dialogue, followed by more red text. Im playing on the average, or what I think is probably "normal" difficulty setting too

The speaker is a thin man, right?

Also, this seems like a super huge spoiler! The speaker is one of the more mysterious characters, that you would want to discover more info about

Rhaknar

Also, this seems like a super huge spoiler! The speaker is one of the more mysterious characters, that you would want to discover more info about

Its not a spoiler, the speaker is not mysterious or important and youve already seen all there is to see of him in that one cut scene.

Also being fussy about story spoilers in this is extra silly, the game might aswell have no story for how little and how cliche it is. I mean in general, not you are being fussy in particular.

Erheller

Man, this game is so hard. I enjoy the gameplay, and the base building stuff. Its just hard to want to continue when you just see red text, followed by disappointing dialogue, followed by more red text. Im playing on the average, or what I think is probably "normal" difficulty setting too

He's talking about the Advent spokesperson, not the "HELLO COMMANDER, YOUR RECENT RESULTS HAVE BEEN.... MEDIOCRE" dude.

Its not a spoiler, the speaker is not mysterious or important and youve already seen all there is to see of him in that one cut scene.

Also being fussy about story spoilers in this is extra silly, the game might aswell have no story for how little and how cliche it is. I mean in general, not you are being fussy in particular.

Okay, that makes me feel better. After I posted that, I thought to myself, "If you can wrap up a character arc in one sentence. Its probably not that important." Im just frustrated with how hard the game is! lol

It's pretty stressful early on when you're strapped for resources and the avatar clock is staring you down. The only advice I would give is don't feel too intimidated by the countdown and try to adequately research and build items so that the missions you do decide to take turn out successful.

Do I ever get to a point where I can safely farm? That's what I really want to do but like I said, every couple days some crazy shit occurs and it feel like I'm borderline losing.

Rhaknar

Do I ever get to a point where I can safely farm? That's what I really want to do but like I said, every couple days some crazy shit occurs and it feel like I'm borderline losing.

Yes. Half way through the game you will cruise through most missions on veteran with all the upgrades. Hell I have every continent with towers now just...because.

Just finished the game. Didn't lose anyone and generally never felt stressed or particularly challenged as most combats ended the same round I encountered the aliens. Couple of times soldiers took hits but I never came that close to losing anyone outside the
tutorial guaranteed losses

I probably should have started on the difficulty above Veteran but I'm glad to have a much better understanding of the game for my next playthrough. Now the real fun begins. The question is should I go commander or legend? Anyone know how big the step up from Veteran to Commander difficulty is and what are the major differences?

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Good times. Commander isn't that hard, but I don't think I want to jump to Legendary until I'm sure of the tech tree choices.

Note: Both my 'Failed' missions had the primary objective completed.

The psi class in this is some straight up xmen shit. By far my favorite class.

I didn't realize, they can learn every single ability if you leave them in training long enough. My final mission I had 2...3 technically Psi Operatives. 2 That were fully trained, it was a joke because of it.

Good times. Commander isn't that hard, but I don't think I want to jump to Legendary until I'm sure of the tech tree choices.

Note: Both my 'Failed' missions had the primary objective completed.

Based on that sentiment it sounds like I should try Legendary and then drop to Commander if I'm having too much trouble. What are the main differences per level? Enemies have more numbers, health, hit harder, and are harder to hit?

Or does it also entail longer research, more costly upgrades etc?

Rhaknar

I didn't realize, they can learn every single ability if you leave them in training long enough. My final mission I had 2...3 technically Psi Operatives. 2 That were fully trained, it was a joke because of it.

I thought you still had to choose just one from each side on each row?

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim

Based on that sentiment it sounds like I should try Legendary and then drop to Commander if I'm having too much trouble. What are the main differences per level? Enemies have more numbers, health, hit harder, and are harder to hit?
How much difficulty depends on your understanding of XCOM mechanics and enemy units.
If you were using a concealed Ranger + overwatch traps with Killzone, proper ammos with FanFire, Proxy mines on unactivated pods, and flanking consistently...

I'd still try the first 2-3 months on Commander. If you can get through that fine then you should be okay.

The main differences would be stuff like the jump of 3 to 4 heath on Advent grunts, you can imagine how much more you have to do just from that 1 HP increase. Late game stuff like Sectoids are 8-12HP, 12HP Codex, etc. Legendary is the only one that doesn't give you free accuracy (hidden in engine).

*Also 10HP sectoids on the first mission (X4 statue) lmao

Rhaknar

Nope, if you leave them training they will learn both sides.

Ive been training one and its been unlocking the various skills in the trees, I assumed I had to then put points into those skills like the other classes :eek:

How much difficulty depends on your understanding of XCOM mechanics and enemy units.
If you were using a concealed Ranger + overwatch traps with Killzone, proper ammos with FanFire, Proxy mines on unactivated pods, and flanking consistently...

I'd still try the first 2-3 months on Commander. If you can get through that fine then you should be okay.

The main differences would be stuff like the jump of 3 to 4 heath on Advent grunts, you can imagine how much more you have to do just from that 1 HP increase. Late game stuff like Sectoids are 8-12HP, 12HP Codex, etc. Legendary is the only one that doesn't give you free accuracy (hidden in engine).

*Also 10HP sectoids on the first mission (X4 statue) lmao

Legendary Ironman... You can't stop me now!!! First two mission cleared without losing anyone. There's so many damn guys compared to Veteran.

But so I understand there's an aim penalty right? But it's hidden and not reflected in the chance to hit? That's kind of BS.

The second mission was literally more tense than the entire game on Veteran. This is exhilarating.

Top Bottom