• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LTTP: Zach Barth of Zachtronics (SpaceChem, TIS-100) is at Valve. Working on SteamVR.

He's the founder, creative director...hell Zachtronics is mostly him, I think?

This came during the news that Valve is making native SteamVR support for Unity and a rendering plugin.

http://gamasutra.com/view/news/265599/Valve_collaborates_on_new_Unity_SteamVR_support_and_tools.php

Further details on the new SteamVR rendering plug-in are scant at the moment, though newly-minted Valve engineer Zach Barth (TIS-100, Infinifactory) is expected to give a talk at the conference this evening about how Valve uses Unity with SteamVR.

http://visionsummit2016.com/

Using Unity at Valve

Track: Virtual Reality / Level: Intermediate

When we noticed that most VR developers were using Unity, we decided to use it ourselves. This meant that as we encountered and solved problems, we could share those solutions with Unity's VR development community. In this session we will look at some upcoming VR-focused features developed by Valve for use in Unity. This includes built-in SteamVR support in Unity aimed at simplifying multiplatform development and a high-performance rendering plugin to help you hit 90 FPS without sacrificing visual quality.

I wasn't the only one for whom this was news, but interestingly he was already in a session from last Fall's Indie Summit: Zach Barth - Makes a VR game in 17 minutes [Summit 2015]. And the description states he joined Valve. So that's why the LTTP.

Thought people would be interested, then again I'm expecting most responses here to be lamenting he's done with games now....

or that they read it as Zach Braff.

Gattsu25

Banned
This doesn't necessarily mean it's over for Zachtronics btw. He can still do those stuff in his spare time.
Many companies claim ownership of the products developed by their employees, even in their free time.

If Valve doesn't that is pretty cool of them.

darkinstinct

...lacks reading comprehension.
This doesn't necessarily mean it's over for Zachtronics btw. He can still do those stuff in his spare time.

Who likes to do the same stuff you do for eight hours a day at work for another eight hours when you're home? I think it's game over. Sales for Infinifactory were bad.

Who likes to do the same stuff you do for eight hours a day at work for another eight hours when you're home? I think it's game over. Sales for Infinifactory were bad.

As far as I understand Zachtronics was never his full-time job, but a spare time project. The twitter and FB accounts have been active since. And going by SteamSpy his last two projects Infinifactory TIS-100 hasve ~50k and ~90k owners respectively. Doesn't seem bad.

Probably the easiest thing would be to ask him via mail.

Top Bottom