• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tales of Series | Community Thread | Localizing more games than Square Enix

Datschge

Tales of Zestiria OT is up
Just a tiny note, the publisher goes by the name Bandai Namco Entertainment since this financial year, no more Bandai Namco Games. /uselessinfooftheday ;)

Edit: Btw. regarding general Tales staff development, aside some actual additions there were no changes in the EU staff listing for Zestiria. So either they changed the way they credit people (after Tales Studio people not or no longer working at BNStudios were completely removed from the credits in subsequent versions) or the leaking really stopped now.

Cornbread78

Just a tiny note, the publisher goes by the name Bandai Namco Entertainment since this financial year, no more Bandai Namco Games. /uselessinfooftheday ;)

Edit: Btw. regarding general Tales staff development, aside some actual additions there were no changes in the EU staff listing for Zestiria. So either they changed the way they credit people (after Tales Studio people not or no longer working at BNStudios were completely removed from the credits in subsequent versions) or the leaking really stopped now.

Thank you for the info. I'll update the OT tomorrow!

Msennholz

Neo Member
Hey guys, I'm new here (justgot my account validated lol) and I'm looking for some Tales of friends, haha. I'm rather new to the series. Year ago, I played Symphonia on Gamecube and LOVED it! Then I kinda fell out of video games, and didn't know there was a whole series! Since then, I've slowly gotten back into games, and have now played Symphonia Chronicles, Xillia, Graces f, just started Zestiria today, and own but have not yet started Xillia 2. Where I'm from, there's literally, like no one who has even heard of the Tales of series. It's depressing lol. So, say hi! I'd love to make some Tales of friends. Also, if you're in or near the Louisville KY area, I'm even more interested in hearing from you. Looking forward to it :)

Hey guys, I'm new here (justgot my account validated lol) and I'm looking for some Tales of friends, haha. I'm rather new to the series. Year ago, I played Symphonia on Gamecube and LOVED it! Then I kinda fell out of video games, and didn't know there was a whole series! Since then, I've slowly gotten back into games, and have now played Symphonia Chronicles, Xillia, Graces f, just started Zestiria today, and own but have not yet started Xillia 2. Where I'm from, there's literally, like no one who has even heard of the Tales of series. It's depressing lol. So, say hi! I'd love to make some Tales of friends. Also, if you're in or near the Louisville KY area, I'm even more interested in hearing from you. Looking forward to it :)

Welcome! Do you have a favorite Tales character? :)

Krammy

So I just started playing Tales of Graces f and I'm absolutely in looo~ooove! It feels like a return to 'fun' that I thought died with the PlayStation 2 era. The combat is grindy (which is right up my alley), but also keeps the player moving so I'm not getting bored of it, and the graphics, while lacking in detail (self shading?), more than make up for it in style and colour. This is my first time really diving into the Tales games and I'm wondering if the rest of the series sticks to the same formula?

I immediately looked into any PlayStation 4 installments, and came up with Tales of Zestiria. Unfortunately, it seems less colourful, and aims for a bit more realism, which turned me right off. The HUD also looks different, so would I be correct in thinking it doesn't share Grace's gameplay?

What other games in the series are most similar to Graces f? What's the current opinions on the upcoming Tales of Berseria?

So I just started playing Tales of Graces f and I'm absolutely in looo~ooove! It feels like a return to 'fun' that I thought died with the PlayStation 2 era. The combat is grindy (which is right up my alley), but also keeps the player moving so I'm not getting bored of it, and the graphics, while lacking in detail (self shading?), more than make up for it in style and colour. This is my first time really diving into the Tales games and I'm wondering if the rest of the series sticks to the same formula?

I immediately looked into any PlayStation 4 installments, and came up with Tales of Zestiria. Unfortunately, it seems less colourful, and aims for a bit more realism, which turned me right off. The HUD also looks different, so would I be correct in thinking it doesn't share Grace's gameplay?

What other games in the series are most similar to Graces f? What's the current opinions on the upcoming Tales of Berseria?

As far as 3D entries go, Zestiria's actually the most similar to Graces f in terms of combat, though there's quite a few things that it does differently. In my opinion, Zestiria's combat doesn't ever reach Graces f's highs.

aravuus

Nothing reaches Graces f's combat's high points. Probably the best RPG battle system ever imho.

That game's barely mediocre in everything else, though.

aravuus

Never played it, unfortunately, since it hasn't been translated.

Would love to, though. I recall hearing some pretty neat things about Rebirth. Doesn't look like the fan translators are progressing with their translation too fast, so it'll probably be years till I finally get to give it a try.

Never played it, unfortunately, since it hasn't been translated.

Would love to, though. I recall hearing some pretty neat things about Rebirth. Doesn't look like the fan translators are progressing with their translation too fast, so it'll probably be years till I finally get to give it a try.

Check out some of the tutorial videos on Youtube , the combat has a lot of depth to it. What I like about Rebirth is that it takes a much more methodical approach to its battles than most Tales. It's a shame that most of the later games don't take enough cues from it.

Destiny 2 was quite good, too. Also unique in that many of the characters had versatile movesets and encouraged alternating between physical artes and spells. Team Destiny was just going crazy with battle programming. Their titles really deserve some remasters.

Palom

After Graces f, I didn't think I would like a TP combat system again, but Xillia 1 was really fun, and Xillia 2 topped that and is now one of my favorites. It took me until my second play-through to really get a good grasp on the battle mechanics, but once I did it was so much fun. It completely broke me from free-running, and I love side-stepping so much because of it now.

Zestiria is weird. The game was really fun at first, and theoretically should have gotten better with more skills and abilities... but the AI just completely ruined that game for me. Partner AI is woefully inadequate (seriously, I had all my characters set to interrupt casting, and instead of going up to casters and using martial artes to cancel spells, they'd use hidden artes which made them cast faster instead), and enemies were so incredibly cheap. Oh, here're 6 casters, and their synchronized spell damage can kill a person in one hit, and you only get enough time to stop 2 from casting. Good luck! That too easy? Here are 8 slimes with no weakness that have AOE attacks that instantly stun you. Enjoy! Want to cure petrification? Too bad! (I had to solo the entire two-gorgon battle because the AI immediately got petrified, and never got attacked again to die from it.) I have never been so frustrated with a Tales game as I was with Zestiria (except maybe the bullshit balloon mini-games in Abyss and Hearts R), and it was 100% due to the awful AI.

I should go back to Graces f to get a refresher on its combat, because I remember it being incredibly fun, but as of now I like Xillia 2 a bit more, if not because I like the characters more. The high-five and Leia's "Boom!" from the Ludgernaut gets me every time.

Shun

Crosspost but whatever

I had a crossover dream where all the heroes of Tales of Series were basically sealed inside eirei no mafu and people in the present summoned them from their cards to take place in a holy war. So basically Tales x Fate/Stay Night. Flynn was Saber and Regal was Berserker Jade was Caster, etc. You would fuck people up with their other Tales of Series heroes to grant you any wish.

Now I kind of want a Tales of Series x Fate/Stay Night type of game... Partner up your character with a Tales of Hero.

alongside a fighting game by Arc System Works or French Bread and real Tales of Series renai game where I can take Cheria out on dates.

After Graces f

Really Tales of Graces was da bes. Really Graces was good and Asbel isn't that bad. There's a reason why he's always top 3 with Leon Magnus and Yuri outside of BL groups.

I hope Berseria is closer to that and most Tales games going forward are Chain Capacity. Not only was Zestiria disappointing, but decent, but Tales of Hearts was not that good compared to the DS. Shing is so terrible.

Reset

I just beat Tales of Xillia for the first time on Jude's side, and I'm kinda surprised how Asbel from Graces F gets more hate than Jude. Jude is easily the worst protagonist, besides being obsessed with Millia he has no personality. I felt as if they could have easily removed him from the game, and the game would have stayed unchanged. But the rest of the cast was fine, Alvin was the best out of the bunch.
The game started off strong, but then I ended up being bored until you get to the Marsh battle and only after that does the game pick up again. Combat system was fun, but it wasn't as good as Graces F (But it was better than Graces F additional content that was added for the PS3). All in all it was an all right game, oh and what's up with Rowen's facial hair haha

Oh and this is how I would rank the Tales games I've played,
1.Abyss
2.Hearts R
3.Graces F (Main Game)
4.Xillia
5.Phantasia
6.Symphonia
7.Graces F (Lineage of the Future)

Bowlie

Banned
I just beat Tales of Xillia for the first time on Jude's side, and I'm kinda surprised how Asbel from Graces F gets more hate than Jude. Jude is easily the worst protagonist, besides being obsessed with Millia he has no personality. I felt as if they could have easily removed him from the game, as the game would have stayed unchanged. But the rest of the cast was fine, Alvin was the best out of the bunch.

I still don't know why he loves her. I didn't get enough development in their relationship to feel like that could be a thing.

Seda

Not sure if this is the right place to ask this but, can someone remind me what was wrong with the PS3 port of Symphonia?

It had several weird text errors scattered throughout - not just typos. Occasionally you'd get garbled nonsense.

Some longer load times and only 30FPS in battle (as it was based on the PS2 version). The world map especially had some framerate issues.

It had several weird text errors scattered throughout - not just typos. Occasionally you'd get garbled nonsense.

Some longer load times and only 30FPS in battle (as it was based on the PS2 version). The world map especially had some framerate issues.

The only positives is that it had a bit more content, but overall the gc is still the definitive way to play Symphonia... Atleast until durante and others finish patching the steam port :p

What games are worth getting on PS3? Seeing them all 75% off has me interested if any of them are good. Symphonia, Xillia, Xillia 2, and Graces f are all on sale.

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
What games are worth getting on PS3? Seeing them all 75% off has me interested if any of them are good. Symphonia, Xillia, Xillia 2, and Graces f are all on sale.
Idk, but I just bought Chronicals, Xill 1 &2, and Graces f... I have no idea where to start or what they are. lol.

The price was just too good $26 for 5 jrpgs that I've heard good things about... well generally anyway.

Seda

Symphonia is a popular title, but has the most dated gameplay. Its strength is in its dungeons, imo, although if you don't like puzzles you may be put off. I think it has a slightly stronger story relative to other titles but it's pretty cliche in many places.

Xillias are kinda bland overall, both combat and plot, but aren't terrible. I've seen several consider them 'comfort food' - not necessarily good or good for you, but can be enjoyed if you aren't expecting a gourmet meal. Several criticize Xillia's copy-paste field areas, which can make playing them somewhat repetitive.

Graces story and characters are not good /at all/, but many consider it to have the best battle system (and supporting systems) in the series - if not in JRPGs in general. This one you just gotta shut your brain off for the cutscenes and enjoy the combat.

Evolved1

Ahh, thanks for that. Guess Tales on PS2/3 wasn't the high points of the franchise? Aside from the battle system of graces f...

Seda

Ahh, thanks for that. Guess Tales on PS2/3 wasn't the high points of the franchise? Aside from the battle system of graces f...

Well, Vesperia seems to generally be the best received (in my opinion it's the best and most rounded Tales game) but of course we never got the PS3 version. There was a recent thread on Gaming Side calling the Tales series 'the McDonalds' of JRPGs. I didn't follow the thread for too long but I kinda get the picture. I think of part of it is that there have been so many games with such similar structure that the series has gotten a bit stale.

I haven't played Zestiria yet, though.

Hi, Tales GAF! I'm new to this thread but I have a few questions. I got tales of Zestiria as a Christmas gift but I haven't even started it yet. Is the game good? Tales has been going downhill terribly as of late and I am not optimistic for it at all. I put it off while playing things like Xenoblade X, Rise of the Tomb Raider, and Final Fantasy XIV. I want to play it soon but I need some of your opinions. Don't post spoilers though.

Bowlie

Banned
That depends on how you see the series. For me it was good like Graces was. That means the plot, as it has been in the past few games, is thin and weak; sometimes I felt the characters were doing something without motivation or buildup moments for the player to understand their actions.

At that point I stopped treating it as something serious and just enjoyed it, and it became very fun. It has a beautiful world, with the best cast since Abyss (this is a matter of preference, of course, but everyone will tell you that it's great), and a vibrant soundtrack that especially shines during certain dungeons.

Just know that the way equipment, stats and leveling changed a lot. Make sure to spend some time understanding the concepts and if you need help let us know.

edit: and hi! c:

Pancake Mix

Copied someone else's pancake recipe
Tales of Berseria just got some info on two characters, one a new female and the other the long-haired man Velvet initially clashed swords with in the second teaser before appearing as part of the party later in the same trailer. I can't find a link that doesn't show a scan of the JP magazine we have the info from unfortunately. The man's name is Rokuro and her name is Eleanor.

Evolved1

I'm going to jump into these games tomorrow. Hopefully I like them. Lately I'm not too enamored with the protags in my rpg's being (or looking like) little kids... it's a turn off tbh, but I'm going to set that aside in hopes of otherwise fun games.

I'm really in the mood for a good jrpg.

RDreamer

Hey Tales thread. Got into Tales of Xillia the other day when I was trying to figure out something to buy and it was sitting on my PS3. Bought it on sale a while back and hadn't touched it. I'm really liking it so far. About 10 hours in and it's nice to be playing a JRPG again. I kind of ignored the Tales series for a while, and everyone knows the PS360 era didn't have a ton of JRPGs anyway, so I really should have checked them out more. This is good.

I have previously only played Symphonia. I liked it well enough I suppose, but I never ended up finishing it.

Celcius

°Temp. member
If Tales of Vesperia ever gets ported to Steam, what do you think the fan backlash would be like if it's based on the xbox 360 version with none of the additional ps3 content?
I'd still buy it (because I currently only have the ps3 version so it'd be nice to be able to play through it again while understanding the dialog), but I can only imagine the outcry lol.

RDreamer

Update: About 22 hours in or so and still liking Xillia. I can see what some people are kind of down on (repeated seaport environment and kind of uninspired outdoor stuff), but overall it's still a pretty good game.

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
If Tales of Vesperia ever gets ported to Steam, what do you think the fan backlash would be like if it's based on the xbox 360 version with none of the additional ps3 content?
I'd still buy it (because I currently only have the ps3 version so it'd be nice to be able to play through it again while understanding the dialog), but I can only imagine the outcry lol.

That would kinda suck. I don't know if I'd like the pirate but having Flynn's interaction with the party expanded and making him permanently playable would've easily made it a day 1 purchase for me. We probably wouldn't even get dual audio if it's a straight 360 port too.

It would really depend on the price I guess... but I doubt I'd get it right away.

Anyone playing Tales of Link?
Yeah. It's interesting so far. Haven't delved too far into the events and microtransactions yet, cause the notices menu was a huge geocities style wall of flashing text and translations that are just slightly off.
Does everybody start with Yuri?

kayos90

Tragic victim of fan death
Yeah. It's interesting so far. Haven't delved too far into the events and microtransactions yet, cause the notices menu was a huge geocities style wall of flashing text and translations that are just slightly off.
Does everybody start with Yuri?

not sure. I rolled the 10 roll that gave an automatic 5*. I got 3 5* lolollol.

Celcius

°Temp. member
I skipped on Zesteria and Berseria's been delayed until 2017. Now would be the perfect time for a another Tales on Steam announcement :(

Labadal

I'm playing Tales of Hearts R and it's solid so far. It's got a more old school feel to it and I like that. I'm very early on in the game and just got my second controllable character. I have no idea how to upgrade soma, so I just make sure to upgrade everything evenly.

Sorry for the slight bump but, my friend bought himself Tales of Rebirth on PS2 and I was wondering if theres was a english translation patch for that game?

Jucksalbe

Banned
Sorry for the slight bump but, my friend bought himself Tales of Rebirth on PS2 and I was wondering if theres was a english translation patch for that game?

Not yet. There are some people working on it, but they have been doing that for years now, so don't expect anything soon.

Isaccard

2 things

Zestiria was well recieved right? Its on sale on steam and I'll be picking it up regardless, but I've heard negative opinions about the battle system so far.

Is the Alicia Story DLC worth it?

Labadal

2 things

Zestiria was well recieved right? Its on sale on steam and I'll be picking it up regardless, but I've heard negative opinions about the battle system so far.

I've heard/read very mixed opinions.

From what I understand, you can live without it.

Palom

2 things

Like any other Tales games, Zestiria seems to be a mixed bag. Personally, I enjoyed the hell out of it at the start, and despised it by the end. The characters are great and I loved the music, but the mechanics and absolute shit-tier partner AI ruined it for me. The Alisha DLC makes the game worse, in my opinion. It takes place directly after the end of the game, but the difficulty spike is massive, in that it is balanced for players that finished the game and all its post-game content first. (It uses the same enemies as the EX dungeon.) The story is garbage. Characters are introduced and nothing is done with them, and it ends on a cliffhanger that will never be revisited. I hated it.

Bought Zestiria today, was holding out on getting the Collectors edition, but since it was 20$ on steam, ill buy collectors later and play now. So, is there a tutorial/guide on how to download and install that PC fix? I think it makes it 60FPS?

Top Bottom