• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Splatoon |OT4| You're a detriment to your squad

I was 2 points away from reaching A+ playing solo ranked, playing a match we were about to win and then my internet craps out. ;;
This hasn't happened in forever, but of course it had to happen right at that moment. Sigh... I also lost the match after that so I'm just gonna stay stuck at A for a while again am I.

ss-hikaru

Edit: Also, I see a lot of games where the whole team is on one side or corridor or spot of the map, blocking each other and getting flanked. And I am dying elsewhere alone against 2 or 3 enemies. I'm trying to not care, just playing. Succeeding too, somewhat.

What really? In S/S+ rank? :|

What do people think are the main 'issues' with each rank? I felt like in the B ranks my main issue with other players was not being able to rely on them to win their one on ones or even two on ones sometimes (I was guilty of this too...I like to think I've gotten better!). In A rank I find many players are too fast out of the spawn to just get killed by a camper, so not being cautious enough. Going all the way back to C rank there were way too many people ignoring the objective to go charge up their special only to get killed before they could use it LOL.

Moondrop

Banned
What do people think are the main 'issues' with each rank?
C: Don't know how to use their weapons.
B: Can use weapons but don't understand objective.
A: Understand objective but can't work as a team.
S: Can't comment. QQ

I don't actually remember C rank as I got out quickly. Cracked my spine carrying to get out of B rank. I've been in A+/A so long that it feels like home now.

Nico_D

C: Everything. Naturally.
B: Still a lot to learn. Movement is lacking. Not understanding the objective and when to go for it. Map control is an unknown concept.
A: Getting better, but wildly uneven players, some very good, some very bad - A- is actually more like B++. They start to handle their weapon now. Scared of The Tower, maybe concerned about their K/D? Also like to hold the rainmaker in one place not daring to advance, sometimes even backing with it. Moondrop said it well: don't understand the game is played in teams.
S: The biggest problem: soloing - too much self-confidence, they get 25 kills and still lose cause they weren't there where they were needed during that one crucial moment; or they go soloing and end up achieving nothing. Uneven players, some play like A's making the same mistakes. Some problems with map control but for the first time playing Ranked can be fun if you get a real S team - even if you end up losing.

Regiruler

C: Don't know how to use their weapons.
B: Can use weapons but don't understand objective.
A: Understand objective but can't work as a team.
S: Can't comment. QQ

I don't actually remember C rank as I got out quickly. Cracked my spine carrying to get out of B rank. I've been in A+/A so long that it feels like home now.

Also, Bs will die immediately in any firefight.

The majority of A+'s are probably people oscillating between S and A+, like myself.

The majority of A+'s are probably people oscillating between S and A+, like myself.

This is what I'm currently doing when trying to keep my rank as a Charger. I've been gone for 2 weeks, so I guess it makes sense. I want to get to S+ using only a Charger, but I don't like E-Liter too much. Too bad this current rotation (TC Mahi Moray) is very E-Liter friendly. I also have a bad habit for using the scopeless Splat Charger, which isn't as good this rotation IMO.

noshten

pinkurocket I feel your pain dude, I'm sort of stuck in limbo between going up and down the ranks. The thing is don't let it get to you and keep enjoying dem skills.

ss-hikaru

Thanks for the responses guys, it's given me food for thought on my play in A ranks.

I did notice when I dropped from A- back to B+ that I was massacring everyone in my firefights. Sure was an easy trip back to A-.

Hmmm sounds like A+ will be hard to break out of. I'll keep that in mind so I don't get too discouraged when I get to that stage XD

Zeeman

OK, I borrowed the game from the library this week, has to go back today. I got myself up to level 6 in multiplayer and through the first boss in singleplayer. Probably going to have to buy it soon, the game's pretty damn fun.

I feel like I do not get chargers at all. I've mostly been rolling with various splattershots, with a bit of roller. I just like covering as much ground as possible as quickly as possible. Do chargers basically require you to sit in some sniper spot?

jariw

I feel like I do not get chargers at all. I've mostly been rolling with various splattershots, with a bit of roller. I just like covering as much ground as possible as quickly as possible. Do chargers basically require you to sit in some sniper spot?

That depends on the map (and range). Port Mackerel is very well suited for moving around with a charger. Maps like Moray Towers has a few sniper spots.

Nico_D

Do chargers basically require you to sit in some sniper spot?

No. Some chargers do that like they they'd be trying to grow roots. Most of ChargerGAF are moving chargers in the middle of the action - and sometimes a bit farther away. And as Jariw mentioned Moray, I must say Moray is an exception since it pushes you to camp the same couple of spots with a charger. It's a good training ground but not as an actual map - at least if you're playing charger, that is.

There are some excellent sniper spots on some maps though and I take an advantage of those especially in the start.

Of all the weapons in the game, chargers most likely require the most effort. But they are worth it.

Moondrop

Banned
So a couple of weeks ago I polished the official weapon images into desktop background format. Been meaning to share.
a2FWQI4.png

1920x1080
1600x900
800x450
I know white isn't the best color for a background, but personally I use the 800x450 as a 2x2 tile so it makes a mosaic effect.

Of all the weapons in the game, chargers most likely require the most effort.
The H3 would like a word. ;) I'm still tempted to go back to it.

Moondrop

Banned
To be fair, chargers and the H3 are quite similar. Both require great aim and can be brutally punishing if you miss. I've previously described the H3 as the charger of the shooter class.

The difference is really in how the projectiles work. Chargers are essentially instant OHKO laser beams, but with a windup. Whereas the H3 has very little windup, but you have to worry about the speed and angle of the projectiles relative to the movement of your prey. A great charger seems to be able to tag a foe moving in any direction with fast enough reflexes, but an H3 has to have the proper angle to make sure all three globs connect.

Anecdotally for myself I became passable at the H3 but I'm still a charger scrub. I've been practicing with them but I just prefer weapons where my ink comes out more quickly. Sigh, all this talk is going to have me picking up the H3 again... bring on the pain...

Edit: Ugh, I'm out on the H3 again. Too much risk for so little reward. Maybe I should try the slosher deco...

Started putting some time into regularly using the Sloshing Machine, and I'm enjoying it a whole lot. Though, it is easily the thirstiest of the buckets. Need to work on my ink management a bit more.

Moondrop

Banned
Ok, the slosher deco is pretty great. But before discussing the kit, an interlude on slosher mechanics:

Slosher shots can curve! I don't mean the trademark vertical arc; I mean laterally. And more than just a few degrees- I can get approximately 90 by whipping the gamepad around. While that extreme may be impractical, don't be quick to dismiss this in general. In my testing sessions, I can easily line up a clear miss, fire, then rotate my reticle while the paint is in mid-air and strike my target with the middle of my bending stream. This is definitely applicable in a firefight.

This is of course a result of video games generally ignoring conservation of momentum, going back at least Super Mario Bros. You shouldn't be able to jump out over a chasm then pull back in midair and land where you took off. Similarly, once you hurl a glob of ink from a bucket, you shouldn't be able to influence its trajectory. But you can.

Anyway, back to the slosher deco. It didn't give me the instant sense of joy of the tri-slosher, but it feels well-rounded and powerful. This is my first serious go with the splash wall- it obviously excels at controling space, but there's a learning curve as to whether to toss it or just slosh. Kraken fits in well, though I still don't love it except as a panic button. Strangely I sometimes feel lacking in range compared even to the tri-slosher, with which I can at least toss a disruptor into a sniper nest.

As to gear, priority should probably go to ink efficiency and ink saver sub in particular. Though it gets a bad rap sometimes, ink saver sub is doubly useful here because you can't start refilling until the draining animation completes. I've considered swim speed but it doesn't seem to make the kraken that much faster. Perhaps quick super jump for kraken bombing?

Malus

6 Walleye Warehouse matches in a row.

The map rotation is the worst thing about this game.

I wish they'd cap the amount of times you can get a map in a row, but I like having a rotation.

I think I'm 0 for...6 or 7 in splatfests? Bringin the bad karma over to Team Blue/Marie! :D

Apologies in advance.

ChrisD

I honestly didn't think gamefreak would allow this lol. Marie is finally going to get another win!...maybe.

Surely she'll win. Red is Charizard, every kid loves Charizard.
It's not until they grow older and realize they were wrong all along that they finally choose Blastoise.

ChrisD

Venusaur is always an acceptable choice. It's also the middle-ground, for those who want not any bloodshed. If you chose such a path, know that unwittingly you have saved many friendships. After all, nobody fights with the one who chose Bulbasaur. What reason is there?
I chose Bulbasaur as my first starter, but I grew to like Squirtle/Blastoise more by the time Firered/Leafgreen came out

Man, the Splatfest announcement dialogue is 10/10 this time. Whoever wrote it hit multiple references flawlessly.

ss-hikaru

Venusaur is always an acceptable choice. It's also the middle-ground, for those who want not any bloodshed. If you chose such a path, know that unwittingly you have saved many friendships. After all, nobody fights with the one who chose Bulbasaur. What reason is there?
I chose Bulbasaur as my first starter, but I grew to like Squirtle/Blastoise more by the time Firered/Leafgreen came out

Man, the Splatfest announcement dialogue is 10/10 this time. Whoever wrote it hit multiple references flawlessly.

Technically I'm choosing Team Venusaur cos JP region XD I chose based on vulpix+sandshrew
+Marie
though. Gonna try really hard to read the JP text for the splatfest announcement, but I'm thinking i might not get the jokes if there are any :p

Hah, who cares if it's gonna be the losing side? The path of Charizard is one of no regrets!

And the localization team had a lot of fun with the banter on this one.

Both of the shirts look really coooooooool, though.

woopWOOP

Red/Charizard is by far going to be the most popular isn't it

...Does that mean all the good players will hang on the Blue side? :p

Blue was my first, can't pick the other in good conscience

This time you can keep your Splatfest shirt.

http://www.pokemon.co.jp/info/2016/02/160212_p01.html
Is that true? Wonder if there'll be a visible difference between the Japan & NA/EU ones or that their Green shirts will just show up as Blue here.

backlot

Is that true? Wonder if there'll be a visible difference between the Japan & NA/EU ones or that their Green shirts will just show up as Blue here.

I think they're just talking about how they're gonna be selling shirts based on the Splatfest shirts in Japan. You can't actually keep them in game.

Danthrax

Batteries the CRISIS!
As much as it pains me to say it, Marie is definitely getting a win this time. All the randos will choose Red. Sorry, Callie =(

I wish they'd cap the amount of times you can get a map in a row, but I like having a rotation.

I think I'm 0 for...6 or 7 in splatfests? Bringin the bad karma over to Team Blue/Marie! :D

Apologies in advance.

I've played in all splatfest and I've never win. So I guess my bad karma may be higher than yours... and I'm letting everyone know that I'll join Team Pokémon Blue.

In the other hand I expect Pokemon red to be more popular, therefore there will be more bad players on Callie's side. So, this could be my very first victory in a Splatfest.

Top Bottom