• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

A game so amazing it spoils others games

raptorDELTA

Neo Member
Same as most of the others have been saying. The Last of Us, Bloodborne, The Witcher 3. If you had told me a few years ago that my three favorite games of the past decade would all be releasing within two years of each other, I would have said you were full of shit.

balohna

The Last of Us: The Thread

For a period of time I had to take a break from games after beating TLoU because I found everything to be a bit lackluster.

The same happened with Bloodborne.

Yeah, maybe not in every regard but Ellie's AI made Elizabeth from BioShock Infinite look silly... just a few months after it had been hyped as this amazing achievement.

AgentP

Thinks mods influence posters politics. Promoted to QAnon Editor.
Bloodborne and Dragon's Dogma ruined Witcher 3 and Skyrim type games.

JaseMath

This is sort of the opposite of what the OP was saying, but as a new dad needing pick-up-and-play/short burst games, Destiny totally fit the bill for a while. When I tried to move away from it, every other game seemed too involved for me to justify the time. I tried Driveclub in it's place–something simple, lacking in story (ie. Destiny)–but found it to be too sim for me, so I stopped. I need something to fill the gap...

I finally started playing Ys: Seven and it's good (sleep mode is a god send). Hopefully it saves me.

krang

This is sort of the opposite of what the OP was saying, but as a new dad needing pick-up-and-play/short burst games, Destiny totally fit the bill for a while. When I tried to move away from it, every other game seemed too involved for me to justify the time. I tried Driveclub in it's place–something simple, lacking in story (ie. Destiny)–but found it to be too sim for me, so I stopped. I need something to fill the gap...

I finally started playing Ys: Seven and it's good (sleep mode is a god send). Hopefully it saves me.

That's interesting, because having been in the same situation I was advised completely against buying Destiny for its time requirements.

JaseMath

That's interesting, because having been in the same situation I was advised completely against buying Destiny for its time requirements.

Technically yes it takes time, though doing a single mission takes about 30 min, so you can absolutely get to level 40 in short bursts. It's easy to get addicted, but as long as you avoid being sucked down the rabbit hole of progress, you'll be fine. That's how I did it.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
It's all about priorities. I wouldn't call well-thought-out quests and dialogues nice, they are essential. on the other hand, having beautiful locations would be nice but not crucial.
Exactly. And it's not like Fallout 3 had "beautiful locations" either. Game was legit ugly, to be honest, and I didn't find exploration rewarding at all when there's no cool quests to discover.

oti

Banned
After finishing the amazing
fight me
Skyward Sword I couldn't play video games for two weeks because they all seemed so... worthless.

theLusitanian

Neo Member
Armored Core series ruined many a mech game for me. The customization since day 1 has enthralled me for many hours since the very first game. .....Then Armored Core 4 Answer came and ruined Armored Core games for me... and then Armored Core 5 came... fun game... different, improves the series in many ways, but doesn't have the same thrill 4 Answer did.

Souls/Borne ruined a whole slew of exploration RPGs for me. The sublime combat and sense of discovery I feel is second to none. The lack of hand holding might turn off people, but I absolutely love it. BloodBorne itself is proving itself to be the best of this "series" itself, even giving me a sense of survival horror I haven't felt since I played Silent Hill/Resident Evil back in the ps1/2 days.. I love trick weapons and a focus on aggression instead of turtling like in Dark/Demon. Dark Souls 3 is going to be great, but it might end up giving me an Armored Core 5 feeling of "this is fun.. but doesn't give me the rush of BloodBorne."

edit:I just bought Dragon's Dogma on PC, and based on the hype surrounding the game, I feel like it might ruin rpg combat in general for me.

Akuun

Looking for meaning in GAF
I had so much fun with Left 4 Dead 1 and 2 that I haven't gotten the same feeling from any FPS ever since.

This happened to me after Last of Us and Bloodborne, but it also happened to me with Resident Evil 4 on the Wii.

It was the last game I ever bought for my Wii, and I still played it every week for over a year. There was no life after RE4. That was the end of the line.

zkorejo

Witcher 3. It has the perfect story, great characters, an amazing world, perfect music, great graphics, great gameplay mechanics. The best part is obviously the story and mission design, for me a great story in a game is a huge plus.

After Witcher 3 I have played MGS V which is the only game that didnt feel like it sucked because the gameplay was just amazing and the story was passable. But after that, I got Fallout 4 and AC Syndicate and the story just outright sucks in both of these games. The gameplay in AC is stale because its AC and there just isnt anything new apart from ziplines which feels like a crutch.

Fallout 4 had a good gameplay, loot and customization but it was noway near as good as I was expecting it to be. Esp. the mission design since the Witcher devs said Fallout 3 was one of their inspirations. Never played FO3 but judging from FO4, its Bethesda who need to be inspired by CDPR for their next game.

I feel like I would have enjoyed these games more if TW3 never even existed as it has raised the bar really high.

Se_7_eN

The Division - I know it isn't out yet but my coworkers and I are really excited for it.

I am currently playing The Witness and Firewatch to take a break from shooter in preparation.

Dr.brain64

Although I have not spoiled myself with both games - dragon age inq and witcher 3 - I plan on playing da:i first since I think the witcher 3 is in another category of awesomeness!

Most recently Bloodborne and then The Last of Us before that.

But every time I play Resident Evil 4 I'm dissapointed with whatever comes after it.

MadYarpen

I cannot imagine loading screens when entering buildings. Thanks to the witcher 3.
I hope it will not ruin future open world games for me.

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
I've literally never felt this way, even with my favorite games of all time

same. everyone keeps saying The Witcher 3 but after I finished that I went back to GTA V and started Fallout 4 but really didn't feel like the games were ruined because of it. Of course, I could see where things were done better/worse but it didn't ruin my experience. I just take each game as it is.

Greddleok

MGSV ruined open world games and 3rd person stealth games for me in one swift movement.

The world isn't packed with useless junk and icons. The ability to actually take on missions in a wide variety of different ways. The fact that when stealth goes wrong, you don't have to reset, you just go with the flow and go HAM.

_Ryo_

Persona 3 kinda ruined other JRPGs for me.
Same happened with Grim Fandango and Point n Clicks.

I still really love both genre though.

Monster Hunter 4, Bloodborne and The Witcher 3 did this for me last year.

As an example, every other hunting action game I play now feels dead compared to MH3U/MH4U. None of the click, both in terms of content and mechanics. Combat especially tends not to pack the same punch that Monster Hunter does.

NotMyPsn

Banned
Metal Gear Solid: TPP it plays like a god damn fiddle, and put in shame every other third person shooter out there.

MGSV it's so amazing it spoils itself.
After having my resources stolen, playing after new years weekend I came to my base in the red, and no resources. Never played again.

SomTervo

The gameplay in AC is stale because its AC and there just isnt anything new apart from ziplines which feels like a crutch.

???

I think the gameplay in every AC game is flawed and stale except in Syndicate. Syndicate is the only AC game where the gameplay actually works and has a great sandbox.

It's awesome to play. And the zipline is easy to use, well designed, and saves you lots of time. I don't see how it's a crutch.

Just ???

If anything it's the AC game which has ruined every other AC game for me

Persona 3 kinda ruined other JRPGs for me.
Same happened with Grim Fandango and Point n Clicks.

I still really love both genre though.

I think this may have happened to me with both of the same games.

Rathorial

The Witcher 3 hurt other open-world games with its better side-quests and story.

Mark of the Ninja and Invisible Inc. hurt my enjoyment of other stealth games, by being more unique and fair than other big series like Hitman, Metal Gear Solid or Splinter Cell were providing me.

XCOM: Enemy Unknown & 2 kinda killed my desire to play Japanese tile-based SRPGs, because of how much more dynamic their approach was. Instead of flat levels with only tile count away, status effects, and minor bonuses on elevation they just don't do much with your environment. In XCOM you have half/full cover points, destructible terrain that opens up greater hit chance, planning out overwatch counters, more interesting abilities than just elemental effects, and 2 added in the concealment aspect. Stuff like FF: Tactics and Tactics Ogre just don't interest me anymore.

Bloodborne and Dragon's Dogma: Dark Arisen hurt other action/RPGs with melee combat, because they just did a better job. Both were fast in the way I liked, both have a good deal of weapon variety, and managed to make gear and numbers not hurt the experience.

Dishonored's level design and ways your abilities could be applied has spoiled me for most other 3d action games. The levels had so much thematic variation, continually refreshing multiple paths unlike Human Revolution's air vent fatigue, cool lore and side-events you just happen across for exploration, and supported a variety of ways to play with ease. Each ability in Dishonored felt worth 10 in other games for how many ways you could apply or combine it with others in a given level.

Middle-Earth: Shadow of Mordor spoiled me on bosses for other games. Instead of giant hulking monsters or mysterious figures I barely knew anything about or had much connection with, the game instead had them build up over time as nemesis. Sometimes they'd come out of nowhere, and make my day so bad I had to retreat, or I couldn't get them before they bolted. It gave me a personal connection to bosses, except for that final one...that was a dumb QTE.

Gears of War 3 has hurt every other third-person cover based shooter I've ever played since. I can still enjoy them enough, but in the back of my mind they're being compared to Gears 3, and always found wanting. I've pinpointed 5 main attributes as to Gears 3 is better: the controls and feedback on weapons just feel perfect, there is actual weapon variety there beyond standard-ass guns, the enemy variety is just better/more interesting than most other games period, the sound design makes those enemies actually memorable enough to bother learning their names, and that weapon/enemy variety on higher difficulty pushes you to constantly be moving through cover vs. turtling.

Top Bottom