• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gaming Bolt: Unravel dev: Nintendo is very secretive about NX, Unravel port talk.

We have some controlled (presumably) leaks and lots of patents (which could or could not be related to NX), and there seems to be a sort of start of rumour from the West arising (the other rumour from Trev, Tamaki's news about EA)

Also, yes, I suppose "a while back" could be around the end of 2015 as earliest. I'd be very surprised if the talk he's referring to happened even earlier than, say, October/November 2015
Yeah a few patents that may or may not be used, and as for the leaks there's only like zelda Wii U port I think ? That's basically nothing and people spend so much time speculating on almost nothing
kunk-rum.gif

benedictm

Banned
Different, verified sources stated that the console is coming out this year. The only speculation and guessing is from people convinced that it will come out in 2017.

Really? I hadn't seen any verified sources stating this. I stand corrected.

His shtick: annoying and dehumanizing pessimism and annoyance, with lights here and there of rational thinking (which means also criticizing Nintendo of course, but not so purely)

Who knows, maybe I'm Kimishima's gaf account ;p
On a more serious note, I'm not being pessimist but realistic. Even then, with a 800gflops~1tflops estimate, I'm being optimistic. My realistic expectation is 500~600 gflops. Nvidia Shield TV power range and with the added gimmick, you end up in the 250 to 300 dollars range.

bomblord1

Banned
Who knows, maybe I'm Kimishima's gaf account ;p
On a more serious note, I'm not being pessimist but realistic. Even then, with a 800gflops~1tflops estimate, I'm being optimistic. My realistic expectation is 500~600 gflops. Nvidia Shield TV power range and with the added gimmick, you end up in the 250 to 300 dollars range.

I'm personally expecting the console to be an OC'd mobile processor and the mobile processor to be the same processor at a lower clock. With the supplementary devices giving it whatever extra oomph it needs.

I'm also expecting the handheld to launch first.

Are you mad?
Mad about ppl with zero knowledge, just as i have, about the system and the strategies and negotiations is having regarding third parties, yet making their own personal opinions look like fact, sometimes even quote-answering some questions from other users with these opinions as if they are the answer ... yes, i'm a little mad about that.

But we surely can continue to disregard rumors, that come from verified sources. Let's just take this statement as a given for the whole gaming market.

Scrawnton

Im not even shocked that people are getting bent over Nintendo not having open communication with the developers of Unraveled. We just had a thread about Nintendo entering into partnership talks with EA, you know the company this guy makes games for, and now you're taking one persons word and assuming Nintendo is back to ignoring third parties. Neogaf?

orioto

Good Art™
When we think about it all the speculations have been about the os model, and tje relation between console and portable.

But we still have no clue regarding actual gameplay, ds/wii type innovation there. And it seems there would be one. Cause there is really no reason hiding that much a Portable/Console os/compatibility thing. It seems they wold have something they want to reveal at the last minute so competitors don't steal it.

Rodin

Really? I hadn't seen any verified sources stating this. I stand corrected.
John Harker hinted at that (said something like "wanna bet?" to a guy who was saying that the NX would definitely come out in 2017), and Trev's source (which was verified by bishoptl) said 2016 as well.

Im not even shocked that people are getting bent over Nintendo not having open communication with the developers of Unraveled. We just had a thread about Nintendo entering into partnership talks with EA, you know the company this guy makes games for, and now you're taking one persons word and assuming Nintendo is back to ignoring third parties. Neogaf?

One is a rumour, the other is words directly from a developer. And "Entering talks" is a very vague term as far as this industry goes.

You can see why some of us are reacting the way we are.

jroc74

Phone reception is more important to me than human rights
The talk between the dev and Nintendo worker seems more like a talk between friends. Like a "tell me what you're making and we will see about development"

I doubt Nintendo would go to a specific EA studio to talk NX development; they would go to EA as a whole and let them decide what games go to NX and who makes it. Maybe it just so happens Nintendo didn't want a yarn based 2d platformer on their system when they already have that base covered.

But Unravel is coming to PS4 and will share they stage with LBP.

Regardless of how successful, unsuccessful LBP is Sony doesnt seem to have an issue with it.

Sify64

Sounds like Nintendo. Though if it was a big third party dev, that would be a really backwards move. Hopefully, some of the bigger indies did get kits straight away since it will help the launch.

Scrawnton

But Unravel is coming to PS4 and will share they stage with LBP.

Regardless of how successful, unsuccessful LBP is Sony doesnt seem to have an issue with it.

LBP is notorious for not being an actual good platformer. When you have a system with the best 2d platformers, why would you look for a late port of a 2d platformer that didn't set the world on fire?

All I am saying is, it's not a big deal Nintendo isn't talking to the devs for a port of Unravel, who cares? An actual issue is if they weren't talking to EA about BF5 and Titanfall 2.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
We know as much about it as some developers do, apparently. That's the problem.

Maybe what he knows is to keep quiet and not spill the beans.

"So do you know anything about the NX?"
"Ye...no... I mean like I totally was talking with a guy from Nintendo and was like tell me about the NX and Nintendo guy is like 'no way' so like I am totally, cross my heart, in the dark about the NX..."

KingBroly

Banned
If I was unveilling the NX Id start by showing all the games for it. Third then first party. This shows okay what i can play on it but how do i play should in theory sell people on it easier.

ArtHands

Thinks buying more servers can fix a bad patch
Was going to say the same thing. If they're really aiming for a Holiday 2016 launch, why are so many developers still in the dark about the thing? Either it won't launch in 2016 (unlikely) or it does launch in 2016 along with a dearth of meaningful 3rd party support.

Ports take time.

It'll have little to no 3rd party support again. For the launch period at least.

In short, launch drought

When we think about it all the speculations have been about the os model, and tje relation between console and portable.

But we still have no clue regarding actual gameplay, ds/wii type innovation there. And it seems there would be one. Cause there is really no reason hiding that much a Portable/Console os/compatibility thing. It seems they wold have something they want to reveal at the last minute so competitors don't steal it.

To be honest, the gimmick being this important just killed all the os model and console/portable relation with an ecosystem similar to steam or ios to me. Basically, not shared library. We'll have crossbuy for small eshop titles and VC and Nintendo will call it a day, running into the same issues as before.

Xenoblade

Whatever innovation they've come up with can't possibly be more immersive then VR. So basically if NX isn't Nintendo's version of VR, it's already obsolete.

LBP is notorious for not being an actual good platformer. When you have a system with the best 2d platformers, why would you look for a late port of a 2d platformer that didn't set the world on fire?

All I am saying is, it's not a big deal Nintendo isn't talking to the devs for a port of Unravel, who cares? An actual issue is if they weren't talking to EA about BF5 and Titanfall 2.

At this point Nintendo shouldn't have that mentality. They should want every single game that they can possibly get onto the system. The third party support for the Wii U was nothing short of atrocious. It was far and away the worst third party support any major console has ever received.

Scrawnton

Whatever innovation they've come up with can't possibly be more immersive then VR. So basically if NX isn't Nintendo's version of VR, it's already obsolete.
Unless it's something new. Why would NX need to be VR to be captivating and new. I can't wait for VR to be out so people will stop treating it like the second coming.

QFT.

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
I'm assuming they won't have much, you're assuming they will.

Erm no not at all..i know nothing about the NX lineup or the console. You are saying that its essential for the NX to have Unravel at launch without knowing anything about the system/planned launch lineup.

ITT people are acting as if Sony and MS would involve every small time devs in their console plans prior to announcing them...thats not really how it works.And the NX wont end up being a toaster - every one interesting in developing Nintendo hardware likely know what kind of hardware to expect. If Nintendo will bend over for outside devs prior to unveiling the system it will be for the bigger ones.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!

What's with this disease, the Neoxonism, spreading so much on Gaf in Nintendo rumours threads? This is getting awful

To be honest, the gimmick being this important just killed all the os model and console/portable relation with an ecosystem similar to steam or ios to me. Basically, not shared library. We'll have crossbuy for small eshop titles and VC and Nintendo will call it a day, running into the same issues as before.

The gimmck has been hinted (in my interpretation) as 'a unique user interface'. There's nothing to say that couldn't exist on multiple new systems.

Zemm

Maybe they're still of the mindset that it should be the other way around.

You're probably right but what a mistake this would be. Developers/publishers don't need Nintendo as much as Nintendo needs them. When devs have choices such as mobile, PC, Sony and MS the power is not with Nintendo.

But not NewGAF pretending that ports are important. If you want to play a game that came out 6 months ago you are free to buy it now.

NX needs new and unique games, and the secrecy around it is building hype. I love it.

darkinstinct

...lacks reading comprehension.
Nintendo being Nintendo. This will be the third console in a row with minimal third party support. Why don't they just NDA everybody, seems to work for everyone. They should be grateful for every dev wanting to develop for NX instead of being so secretive.

sd28821

Perhaps they just have limited dev kit hardware and are pushing that to bigger studios at the moment? Given than Cordwood just released Unravel, it's unlikely they'd have anything ready by NX's launch window (assuming it's late this year), and hence wouldn't really be a priority for dev kits. Unless, of course, they have a great idea for a game that could be completed in time for launch, which would explain why they'd ask for a pitch.

good point

Scrawnton

At this point Nintendo shouldn't have that mentality. They should want every single game that they can possibly get onto the system. The third party support for the Wii U was nothing short of atrocious. It was far and away the worst third party support any major console has ever received.

People crapped on Nintendo nonstop for getting late ports for the launch of Wii U, and here we are having Nintendo not talking to a company that can only provide a late port and now Nintendo is back to ignoring third parties? It's either you're okay with late ports for launch again or you're okay with Nintendo not talking to this dev. You can't get mad at Nintendo for not telling this dev what NX is and not courting them, and then also laugh them off the stage at E3 when they announce late ports for launch.

I wonder what the cross over of complainers in this thread and complainers of late ports will be.

Apathy

So will we get another wiiu launch lineup consisting of old ports using the gimmicky controller, cause that's what it sounds like

This is actually THE singlest most annoying thing for every dev out there. We also talked to Nintendo and got absolutely nothing - I'll never understand that. And just to be clear, it's not just Nintendo, every hardware manufacturer is treating their devkits and their unreleased consoles like they're the second coming and are insanely secretive about it to a stupid degree in todays time. It's not even that the hardware isn't finished (duh), but you could at least give me the goddamn specs, so we'd know what to build shit for!

What's needed to sell hardware is goddamn good software. With Nintendo not having any devkits out there at this point and probably even wanting to sell it in 2016, I can already guarantee that they'll just not have any software support, since nobody can just jumble games together in less than a year. I mean, you can, but it'll be garbage.

The same is true for Engine Support - Get Unity and Epic to support these consoles WAAAAY ahead of release. By the time the console launches, it should be EASY for developers to develop games for these systems, things shouldn't just only start at this point. I want the goddamn devkits or at least proper hardware specs ideally 2 years before release - Keep all the developers updated, start a forum where devs can chat and figure out all the problems everyone's having, instead of everyone just having to deal with it. None of that's happening anywhere and it's just braindamaged.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
The gimmck has been hinted (in my interpretation) as 'a unique user interface'. There's nothing to say that couldn't exist on multiple new systems.

Nope, it's already being decided that the gimmick (I'm sick of seeing the denigration behind unique features for platforms; unfortunately, that's what's behind the use of the term gimmick most of the times, whatever that feature is, before knowing what it actually is) is going to be something that won't allow for the family of consoles, for the majority of the lineup being shared across devices. Nope, it's over. Game over man, game over.

I hope this does not mean we will see "old" games ports at the launch of the NX. So stupid to try to sell a console with ports of games that has been out for serveral months on other consoles. But Nintendo will probably Nintendo and the 3rd party support will die a fast death anyway.

I agree, taking the word/experience from one developer and using that apply a broad sweeping umbrella to all communication between Nintendo and devs is somewhat of an overreaction.

This is totally me talking out of my butt but it's possible Nintendo isn't focused on smaller indie/downloadable games for launch. It's also possible that Nintendo isn't focused on ports or older titles (in terms of indie games) being available for launch. I feel like Nintendo wants to be viewed as a direct competitor to Microsoft and Sony, if the NX is a home console. If that's the case, I would think they would want the latest games to be launched on the NX and are focusing on that first and foremost. If Nintendo is trying to target the casual gamer, they probably realize the latest Madden and Call of Duty will move a lot more consoles than a game like Unraveled.

Also, if the NX is a home console I would expect it to easily be more powerful than the PS4. This means it would have no problem playing all of the fall release games and I am sure Nintendo is focusing on getting those games to be available at the launch of the NX. Once again, that's assuming the NX is a home console and will launch towards the middle/end of fall.

With Nintendo not having any devkits out there at this point and probably even wanting to sell it in 2016, I can already guarantee that they'll just not have any software support, since nobody can just jumble games together in less than a year. I mean, you can, but it'll be garbage.

Lol, what?

Jackano

As predicted the amount of rumors/sh*t/speculation/etc is dramatically increasing this year. It's almost at an hourly rate now. I can't imagine the huge pile of uncontrolled "info" they will sit on a few days before E3.

If by some absurd turn of event they happen to not show anything at E3, or have a weak game showing (which will happen for 3rd party games anyway), they will face a huge downfall on their market share value. And that's all they deserve -so far-: Same old secret Nintendo, no one knows about NX, no one seemingly works on NX -yet-, no one will care about NX -except us Zelda fans who wants the superior Zelda U version-.

So will we get another wiiu launch lineup consisting of old ports using the gimmicky controller, cause that's what it sounds like

I hope this does not mean we will see "old" games ports at the launch of the NX. So stupid to try to sell a console with ports of games that has been out for serveral months on other consoles. But Nintendo will probably Nintendo and the 3rd party support will die a fast death anyway.

If anything this means there won´t be old ports for launch, since the only thing they could port for launch would be Unravel, an old game.

You´re reading what you want guys.

Top Bottom