• Register
  • TOS
  • Privacy
  • @NeoGAF

SomedayTheFire
Banned
(03-16-2016, 08:13 PM)

Originally Posted by TimeEffect

Sure, but did they really expect the death of single player games to the point that they would flat out refuse games for being single player? That's kind of crazy

I would say they and Sony have refused games for less.

Look at it from a business point of view, these guys from Spain come to you proposing a single player tower defence type game and they want you to fund it. But your current business strategy is multiplayer games as a service. Where does that game fit in? It's not like they maliciously rejected it, it just didn't fit their business strategy. It probably wasn't worth taking it and paying for retooling to MS. Sony must have saw some potential in it and took it.
daman824
(03-16-2016, 08:14 PM)

Originally Posted by d0hv

So canceling an indie game is equivalent to canceling a big 1st party triple A, and completely shutting down the whole studio without giving non of the staff any notice ? One of the few studios you have left at that.

I wouldn't call fable legends a AAA game.
OrbitalBeard

Originally Posted by daman824

I absolutely would. I'm certain Microsoft did as well, considering it was front and center in their "Greatest Lineup in Xbox History" promos during the second half of 2015.
lherre
Accurate
All this info comes from a source very close to the studio.

First of all, I was told that the reveal trailer was all cinematic. It was faked to mimic gameplay, assets, etc. from a real game but 0% of the game was implemented.

So the real challenge for the studio was to put that vision into the final game. And apparently this has been impossible to achieve.

This words are a direct quote from my source about this news and the studio itself (it contains his personal opinion):

"Sony required about one month ago the DEV KITs to be returned and canceled the fundings into Tequila Works, due of the game had no-sense. Basically there wasn't a game.

This is a consecuence of the bad studio direction, basically Raul Rubio thinks that he is the next Tim Schafer. The truth is that Raul was fired from MercurySteam. The people from MercurySteam speak really bad about him (the main critics are: he has no idea about games, technology and he has crazy ideas without sense). If you add that his wife is the chairman of Tequila Works and looking for info about her you can find this:

http://www.notariado.org/liferay/web...N=AC&FLAG=MAIL

You could see that she is public notary in Spain. She hasn't any background making games. The results are, that Rime has no publisher and it is not cancelled due of they got public spanish founds to develop games:

http://www.minetur.gob.es/PortalAyud...lConcesion.pdf

If you take a look into their website and you compare the hellworkers list with the original team from Deadlight , only a couple guys remains from the original team. If all the team has left the studio, you must think that something wrong there is into the top of the company."

I'm a bit sad to be honest since i was there in the first days of the studio (not working).
Last edited by lherre; 03-16-2016 at 08:22 PM.
neurosyphilis
Definitely not an STD, as I'm a pure.
(03-16-2016, 08:15 PM)

Originally Posted by Shin-Ra

I'm really curious what these said pre-edit.

Pretty desperate attempt to paint SCE with the same brush as Microsoft Studios.

"Sony too"
daman824
(03-16-2016, 08:17 PM)

Originally Posted by OrbitalBeard

I absolutely would.

It was f2p, and quality wise, wasn't close to other 1st party games recently released by Microsoft (yes I played it). Added to the fact that it wasn't a mainline fable project.

But can we stop talking about fable legends? I shouldn't have brought it up.
Cow Goes Moo
(03-16-2016, 08:17 PM)
thanks lherre

i don't like saying this, but it sounds like it was literally vaporware... or just a concept
thats a shame
GlamFM
(03-16-2016, 08:18 PM)

Originally Posted by lherre

First of all, I was told that the reveal trailer was all cinematic. It was faked to mimic gameplay, assets, etc. from a real game but 0% of the game was implemented.

So the real challenge for the studio was to put that vision into the final game. And apparently this has been impossible to achieve.

This words are a direct quote from my source about this news and the studio itself (it contains his personal opinion):

"Sony required about one month ago the DEV KITs to be returned and canceled the fundings into Tequila Works, due of the game had no-sense. Basically there wasn't a game.

This is a consecuence of the bad studio direction, basically Raul Rubio thinks that he is the next Tim Schafer. The truth is that Raul was fired from MercurySteam. The people from MercurySteam speak really bad about him (the main critics are: he has no idea about games, technology and he has crazy ideas without sense). If you add that his wife is the chairman of Tequila Works and looking for info about her you can find this:

You could see that she is public notary in Spain. She hasn't any background making games. The results are, that Rime has no publisher and it is not cancelled due of they got public spanish founds to develop games:

If you take a look into their website and you compare the hellworkers list with the original team from Deadlight , only a couple guys remains is coming from the original team. If all the team has left the studio, you must think that something wrong there is into the top of the company."

I'm a bit sad to be honest since i was there in the first days of the studio (not working).

Hot mess.
Elandyll
Wants his cup full of frames
(03-16-2016, 08:19 PM)

If you take a look into their website and you compare the hellworkers list with the original team from Deadlight , only a couple guys remains is coming from the original team. If all the team has left the studio, you must think that something wrong there is into the top of the company."

Oof.
If it all checks out (and I know you've been "verified"), it almost sounds like they borderline scammed Sony (and gamers) into funding them.

Wonder how on Earth they found the money to "re-acquire" the IP, unless they had a contract clause that specified Sony would return the IP if they stopped funding the project...
Trevelyon

Um, so what was the E3 trailer then, just more smoke and mirrors.
OrbitalBeard

Damn.
Shredderi
(03-16-2016, 08:20 PM)
Shit. The idea behind it looked so cool. Sad if the those things are true about there practically being no game.
SplitYourInfinities

Ouch. Thanks for posting this.
Turkoop
this is sad.
daman824
(03-16-2016, 08:21 PM)

Originally Posted by d0hv

"Sony too"

Lol ignore my other post then.

Going by rumors, it's pretty easy to see that this game never really got off of its concept phase.

One rumor says that the first part of the game was only recently finished 3 years after it was announced. Sorry, Sony is at some fault for announcing the game in 2013. I bought a ps4 in part because of this game. It's annoying that this is how everything turned out. It's not "Sony too" as much as it is "I wish this game were coming out, if it wasn't even close to being an enjoyable game, let alone a game period, why did Sony announce it?"

Actually, yeah this game should have never been announced. That reveal trailer was cgi?
Last edited by daman824; 03-16-2016 at 08:24 PM.
Bits N Pieces
(03-16-2016, 08:22 PM)

I feel a bit uneasy about someone getting a public haranguing without having all the facts.

Not having a go at you though, lherre.
thomasmahler
(03-16-2016, 08:23 PM)

If that's true, then Sony should've never ever released that trailer. That gives me Killzone 2 vibes right there.

If the artists from Tequila Works read this, we're still looking for supreme talent at Moon Studios for our next titles :D
neurosyphilis
Definitely not an STD, as I'm a pure.
(03-16-2016, 08:24 PM)

Yet it was one.
SomedayTheFire
Banned
(03-16-2016, 08:25 PM)

Lol ignore my other post then.

Going by rumors, it's pretty easy to see that this game never really got off of its concept phase.

One rumor says that the first part of the game was only recently finished 3 years after it was announced. Sorry, Sony is at some fault for announcing the game in 2013. I bought a ps4 in part because of this game. It's annoying that this is how everything turned out. It's not "Sony too" as much as it is "I wish this game were coming out, if it wasn't even close to being an enjoyable game, why did Sony announce it?"

Actually, yeah this game should have never been announced. That reveal trailer was cgi?

If TW had a plan in place to release late 2014/early 2015 so Sony revealed it, how is TW missing deadlines Sony's fault?

You don't know why it was revealed so I don't see why you should blame Sony over blaming the Dev?
SictorVullivan
(03-16-2016, 08:25 PM)

Some of this is definitely on Sony

If you're going to spout bullshit then atleast have a source for it.
DoubleTake
(03-16-2016, 08:26 PM)
Damn so the game didnt even exist?? So they pitched that original concept to Sony and couldnt deliver on it. Plus shady company heads and barely any developers...

So rime was itsfuckingnothing.gif from the beginning. Doubt we'll be seeing much more from Tequila Works.

My hope is in Wild now.
daman824
(03-16-2016, 08:28 PM)

Originally Posted by SomedayTheFire

If TW had a plan in place to release late 2014/early 2015 so Sony revealed it, how is TW missing deadlines Sony's fault?

You don't know why it was revealed so I don't see why you should blame Sony over blaming the Dev?

Sony shouldn't be announcing a game with a cgi trailer that was made to look exactly like gameplay without telling people the trailer wasn't actual gameplay. They also shouldn't have trusted the studio.

They JUST RECENTLY finished the first part of the game going by rumors, three years after it was announced by Sony. This was their IP, of course they hold some of the blame here
Walpurgis

If you take a look into their website and you compare the hellworkers list with the original team from Deadlight , only a couple guys remains from the original team. If all the team has left the studio, you must think that something wrong there is into the top of the company."

This lines up with the rumours that we heard a few months back. Thanks for sharing.

This game is now dead to me.
sflufan

Originally Posted by Commanche Raisin Toast

why is everyone saying SONY dropped them?

they said it themselves, "Tequila Works has chosen..."

this was TW's decision. not Sony's.

Are you honestly going to believe a company's own PR about itself?
Tuck
(03-16-2016, 08:29 PM)

What a shame.
odhiex
(03-16-2016, 08:29 PM)
Wow...sounds like a scam project. Pitty...it looked so good in the trailer tho.
Trevelyon
(03-16-2016, 08:30 PM)
So, would've Sony known the gamescon reveal trailer was complete bunk and only a 'concept' of what the game could potentially be, or were Sony themselves completely misled.
toythatkills
(03-16-2016, 08:30 PM)

This is adorable <3
Bedameister
(03-16-2016, 08:31 PM)
So the game I thought that it could be never existed.
Time to delete it from my memory.
daman824
(03-16-2016, 08:31 PM)

Originally Posted by Trevelyon

So, would've Sony known the gamescon reveal trailer was complete bunk and only a 'concept' of what the game could potentially be, or were Sony themselves completely misled.

No way they didn't know. They were bankrolling the project
Lys Skygge
(03-16-2016, 08:32 PM)
5Twist
(03-16-2016, 08:33 PM)
Well that's majorly disappointing... I really liked what I saw from the trailer, but the fact that it was CGI is a huge slap to the face.
TraBuch
(03-16-2016, 08:34 PM)

I once got fired and told everyone I quit.
SplitYourInfinities
(03-16-2016, 08:35 PM)

Of course they knew.
Guymelef
(03-16-2016, 08:36 PM)

Always surprised me to see Raśl travelling around the world (not Rime business travels) etc... while game was in development...
CheDominik
(03-16-2016, 08:37 PM)

So simply said: Rime was practically a scam?
HammerFace
(03-16-2016, 08:38 PM)

Originally Posted by SomedayTheFire

I would say they and Sony have refused games for less.

Look at it from a business point of view, these guys from Spain come to you proposing a single player tower defence type game and they want you to fund it. But your current business strategy is multiplayer games as a service. Where does that game fit in? It's not like they maliciously rejected it, it just didn't fit their business strategy. It probably wasn't worth taking it and paying for retooling to MS. Sony must have saw some potential in it and took it.

Wait what?! Rime was supposed to be a tower defense type game? I hadn't gotten that vibe from it at all, maybe I should go back and rewatch those announcement trailers.
LiK
(03-16-2016, 08:38 PM)
man, this game looked so good. what's going on with it. i wish the devs would do a vlog explaining the status.
AmaterasuOni
Banned
(03-16-2016, 08:39 PM)
Damn. One of my most anticipated games turned out to be a proper scam project? How the hell they flew through Sony's radar?
Tankard
(03-16-2016, 08:40 PM)

Ouch!
thomasmahler
(03-16-2016, 08:41 PM)

I'm sure they did their due diligence before they signed the project, so obviously they must have known. There's a LOT of work that goes into a signing a project, cause there's a lot of money at risk. As a developer, you have to organize and layout the entire development schedule for the project (meaning you basically break down the projects development on a monthly or bi-monthly basis into 'milestones' and the developer gets paid upon delivering these milestones) and it usually takes at least 4-6 months to get something signed due to the process being fairly intricate.

Having said that, as a publisher, you always bank on talent. You always take a risk and hope that the developer actually comes through and knows what they're doing. In an ideal world, the publisher just gives the studio money and the studio makes a hit, while the publisher puts some effort into marketing and positioning the title. I'd say Sony did a good job getting people excited for Rime, but it does strike me as a little odd that they willingly and knowingly published that video, knowing that it was all smoke and mirrors.

That is, IF those rumors are actually all true and there's always two sides of any story... In any case, it's a nice move by Sony that they at least allowed them to get the IP back.

As a developer, I'd shit my pants if I'd know that all I have is a video with some nice visuals and we haven't yet proven out the gameplay.
Last edited by thomasmahler; 03-16-2016 at 08:47 PM.
TheRealTalker
(03-16-2016, 08:41 PM)
oh man please don't be a total mess the game looked amazing
Kenzodielocke
(03-16-2016, 08:42 PM)
Oh wow, why did it take so long for Sony to drop it? No wonder we haven't heard anything from them or Sony.
sflufan
(03-16-2016, 08:42 PM)

Um, so what was the E3 trailer then, just more smoke and mirrors.

Yep - pretty much the same situation as the Prey 2 trailer.
OrbitalBeard
(03-16-2016, 08:43 PM)

Originally Posted by TheRealTalker

If the game is eventually released, I wouldn't expect it to look all that much like its initial reveal.
Stilton Disco
(03-16-2016, 08:44 PM)
Well this all sounds shit. Bigger it, this was one of my most anticipated games of the generation too.
chadskin
(03-16-2016, 08:45 PM)
FWIW, Tequila Works has confirmed to Polygon that Sony is out as the publisher:

"SCE is no longer proprietary of the IP, nor the publisher of the game," a representative for the company told Polygon. Tequila Works promised more updates on the game, originally planned as a PlayStation 4 exclusive, in the future.

http://www.polygon.com/2016/3/16/112...rks-rights-ps4
Get_craycray
(03-16-2016, 08:45 PM)

Dayum.
ViewtifulJC
#AugsLivesMatter
(03-16-2016, 08:47 PM)

Originally Posted by TheRealTalker

Apparently it was never a game at all
Ninja Scooter
bow down to the
Kings in Raider hats
(03-16-2016, 08:47 PM)

Sony was definitely at fault somewhat. It was their IP. And they announced the game 3 years ago with practically no news since then. And now it's pretty much cancelled. Like Microsoft with fable legends, I'd definitely say Sony isn't completely blameless.

I originally added the /s because I didn't want anyone to think I was an insider. But thinking about it more, I stand by my original post

At fault for what? Blamed how? Obviously we don't and will never know the particulars, but as stated before Sony has probably earned a little more benefit of the doubt in this case because they have proven they are not averse to publishing or backing games that don't have a ton of commercial appeal, or that take too long to develop. There must have been something especially wrong with this project for them to drop it. Doesn't neccesarily mean Sony did anything wrong. They took a chance on a smaller dev and a project they thought looked promising. Sometimes it works out sometimes it doesn't.