• Register
  • TOS
  • Privacy
  • @NeoGAF

Joseph Merrick
#2 Tingle Fan
(right after Beezy)
(02-24-2010, 04:37 PM)
Joseph Merrick's Avatar
nevermind the drm for a couple of seconds, is this real?



:lol :lol
Chris Remo
(02-24-2010, 04:38 PM)
Chris Remo's Avatar
LOOK HOW AWESOME YOU ARE. THAT TOTALLY BADASS GUY IS YOU. OH MY GOD YOU ARE FUCKING RAD.
MYE
Banned
(02-24-2010, 04:38 PM)
MYE's Avatar
:lol

EU boxart looks alot better
MotorbreathX
Member
(02-24-2010, 04:39 PM)
MotorbreathX's Avatar
They're both ridiculous.
Guardian Bob
Member
(02-24-2010, 04:40 PM)
EU box
Nemo
Will Eat Your Children
(02-24-2010, 04:40 PM)
Nemo's Avatar
I knew what it would be like before clicking the thread

Psychic powers represent!
V_Ben
Member
(02-24-2010, 04:40 PM)
V_Ben's Avatar
what the hell. thats some insane box art discrepancy right there!
Doc Evils
Member
(02-24-2010, 04:41 PM)
Doc Evils's Avatar
US boxart needs more sparks.
yencid
Member
(02-24-2010, 04:41 PM)
yencid's Avatar
US boxart looks better >(
Forkball
Member
(02-24-2010, 04:42 PM)
Forkball's Avatar
Research technological upgrades TO THE XTREME
Caesar III
Member
(02-24-2010, 04:42 PM)
Caesar III's Avatar
just think about someone who buys the US box. He'll install the game and see something like this:



:lol


misleading Boxart FTW

edit: I only googled that shot. It's not mine. I don't have anything to do with it if this is out of the beta.


The game is great, I'll give you that.
Acosta
Member
(02-24-2010, 04:43 PM)
Acosta's Avatar
:lol :lol :lol
funkmastergeneral
Banned
(02-24-2010, 04:44 PM)
funkmastergeneral's Avatar

Originally Posted by Caesar III

just think about someone who buys the US box. He'll install the game and see something like this:



:lol


misleading Boxart FTW
.

That looks gorgeous
Mael
Member
(02-24-2010, 04:44 PM)
the kirby syndrome to the max I'd say :lol :lol
yencid
Member
(02-24-2010, 04:45 PM)
yencid's Avatar

Originally Posted by funkmastergeneral

That looks gorgeous

indeed
Katana_Strikes
Member
(02-24-2010, 04:46 PM)
Katana_Strikes's Avatar
Lulz at the boxarts but that screenshot looks great. Haven't played a Settlers game in a long time.
V_Ben
Member
(02-24-2010, 04:46 PM)
V_Ben's Avatar

Originally Posted by funkmastergeneral

That looks gorgeous

whoa. that shot makes me want to play the game.
daxter01
8/8/2010 Blackace was here
(02-24-2010, 04:49 PM)
daxter01's Avatar
wtf :lol :lol
More Fun To Compute
Member
(02-24-2010, 04:49 PM)
More Fun To Compute's Avatar
So the left hand side of the US box is supposed to represent a peaceful economy? :lol
Doytch
Member
(02-24-2010, 04:51 PM)
Doytch's Avatar

Originally Posted by More Fun To Compute

So the left hand side of the box is supposed to represent a peaceful economy? :lol

Uhh yeah. Don't you see dude carrying rocks? White European people only carry rocks when they be building some righteous shit. Like cathedrals. Or monasteries.
Xater
Member
(02-24-2010, 04:52 PM)
Xater's Avatar

Originally Posted by More Fun To Compute

So the left hand side of the US box is supposed to represent a peaceful economy? :lol

Totally! Don't you see how peaceful he looks?
More Fun To Compute
Member
(02-24-2010, 04:52 PM)
More Fun To Compute's Avatar

Originally Posted by Doytch

Uhh yeah. Don't you see dude carrying rocks? White European people only carry rocks when they be building some righteous shit. Like cathedrals. Or monasteries.

That guy has a really intense carrying rocks face. Those rocks are going to get carried, no two ways about it.
Malio
Member
(02-24-2010, 04:53 PM)
Malio's Avatar
America! F*** YEA!
LQX
Remember, he is Canadian.
(02-24-2010, 04:54 PM)
LQX's Avatar
Well you do have a lot of people on GAF that love their box art to the point of making there own. I bet many would choose the US box regardless of how the game looked and I'm one of them.
Caesar III
Member
(02-24-2010, 04:54 PM)
Caesar III's Avatar
Like I said before, the game is great. But don't expect anything like Settlers 1-4. It's a mix out of Settlers 6 (with better transporting), Settlers of Catan and Carcassonne (board game if anyone is familiar)

Can't talk much more, sorry :(
Last edited by Caesar III; 02-24-2010 at 06:18 PM.
iceatcs
Junior Member
(02-24-2010, 04:54 PM)
iceatcs's Avatar
Wow completely difference.

I can image that an American kid will hang this US cover as poster on their bedroom.
eznark
john deere tramp stamp
(02-24-2010, 04:56 PM)
eznark's Avatar
The US box art makes it look like a generic empire builder.

The EU box art makes it look like a Flash based city builder.

The screen shot makes me want to buy the game.
Peronthious
Member
(02-24-2010, 04:56 PM)
:lol

Ah, marketing.
DMPrince
Member
(02-24-2010, 04:57 PM)
the guy is kinda hot.
Gaz Pwnage
Member
(02-24-2010, 04:58 PM)
Gaz Pwnage's Avatar
loving the EU boxart
Enosh
Member
(02-24-2010, 04:58 PM)
Enosh's Avatar

Originally Posted by iceatcs

Wow completely difference.

I can image that an American kid will hang this US cover as poster on their bedroom.

European kids aren't that difrent from american ones and would also choose the US poster over the EU one
Sloane
Member
(02-24-2010, 04:59 PM)
Sloane's Avatar
:lol

Anyone who's ever played The Settlers probably wouldn't even recognize the game by the US boxart. Awful.

Originally Posted by Enosh

European kids aren't that difrent from american ones and would also choose the US poster over the EU one

Settlers is pretty big over here, so I'd doubt that.
AniHawk
Cranky. Very cranky.
Rather sarcastic to boot.
(02-24-2010, 04:59 PM)
AniHawk's Avatar
I've somehow entered a portal to the early 1990s. I have to warn everyone about the dangers of President Clinton, and how the Simpsons will start sucking in about 7-8 years or so.
Jexhius
In every age, in every place,
the deeds of men remain
the same
(02-24-2010, 06:01 PM)
Jexhius's Avatar
This is the flat out stupid, do they really think that is going to sell more copies of a PC game? Couldn't they have just added an angry scowl to all the peoples faces like in the US versions of Kirby boxart?
DMPrince
Member
(02-24-2010, 06:03 PM)
it's like how american movie posters are... BLUE and ORANGE!
-viper-
Banned
(02-24-2010, 06:13 PM)
They might as well put a space marine on that boxart considering how misleading it is.
tokkun
Member
(02-24-2010, 06:14 PM)
tokkun's Avatar

Originally Posted by Chris Remo

LOOK HOW AWESOME YOU ARE. THAT TOTALLY BADASS GUY IS YOU. OH MY GOD YOU ARE FUCKING RAD.

OR...maybe it is actually representative of the different cultural viewpoints on the impact of colonization during the time of European empire building. The Euro cover represents the whitewashing of history by former imperial powers that are guilty over the long-lasting impacts of their colonies in Africa and Latin America. On the other hand, the US box art shows the brutality and violence that come part & parcel with settling a new land, representing the US Anti-Imperialism movement of the 20th century.
Chris Remo
(02-24-2010, 06:15 PM)
Chris Remo's Avatar

Originally Posted by tokkun

OR...maybe it is actually representative of the different cultural viewpoints on the impact of colonization during the time of European empire building. The Euro cover represents the whitewashing of history by former imperial powers that are guilty over the long-lasting impacts of their colonies in Africa and Latin America. On the other hand, the US box art shows the brutality and violence that come part & parcel with settling a new land, representing the US Anti-Imperialism movement of the 20th century.

Well played.
Hari Seldon
Member
(02-24-2010, 06:16 PM)
Hari Seldon's Avatar
God damn this game looks awesome! When does it come out? I have never played a Settlers game.
Monroeski
Member
(02-24-2010, 06:20 PM)
Monroeski's Avatar

Originally Posted by eznark

The US box art makes it look like a generic empire builder.

The EU box art makes it look like a Flash based city builder.

The screen shot makes me want to buy the game.

Pretty much the exact same for me. Damn is that US box generic. It probably wouldn't get a second look from me on a shelf, just does practically nothing to stand out.

Whether you like the art style or not, the cover for Borderlands is incredibly eye catching IMO. Probably helped out a lot with the great sales it has had. The cheapo 90s knockoff cover of Darksiders probably helped it out a good deal, too, but I think I heard overall sales for that haven't been too great?
speedpop
Has problems recognising girls
(02-24-2010, 06:20 PM)
speedpop's Avatar
ITT: people see a Settlers screenshot for the first time ever and want to play the game.
SnakeswithLasers
If I want to pay a black man $20 to suck him off in a public bathroom, by God and Country, I SHALL.
(02-24-2010, 06:25 PM)
SnakeswithLasers's Avatar

Originally Posted by speedpop

ITT: people see a Settlers screenshot for the first time ever and want to play the game.

Seriously. Shit looks rad.
Flachmatuch
Member
(02-24-2010, 06:26 PM)

Originally Posted by tokkun

OR...maybe it is actually representative of the different cultural viewpoints on the impact of colonization during the time of European empire building. The Euro cover represents the whitewashing of history by former imperial powers that are guilty over the long-lasting impacts of their colonies in Africa and Latin America. On the other hand, the US box art shows the brutality and violence that come part & parcel with settling a new land, representing the US Anti-Imperialism movement of the 20th century.

Wow awesome post :-)
demosthenes
Member
(02-24-2010, 06:28 PM)
demosthenes's Avatar
I came in here hoping to see something related to Settlers of Catan :(
Ushojax
Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much
(02-24-2010, 06:29 PM)
Ushojax's Avatar
Even Nintendo has grown out of this now. Embarrassing. Do they really think that boxart is going to convince an uniformed Gears of War fan to buy Settlers 7?
Amory
Member
(02-24-2010, 06:33 PM)
Amory's Avatar
:lol :lol :lol

Incredible.
Chris Remo
(02-24-2010, 07:38 PM)
Chris Remo's Avatar
Goddamn, nice screens.

I guess this generation, European city builder games decided to get super duper beautiful.
farnham
Banned
(02-24-2010, 07:40 PM)

make it badass and it sells
farnham
Banned
(02-24-2010, 07:42 PM)

Originally Posted by Chris Remo

Goddamn, nice screens.

I guess this generation, European city builder games decided to get super duper beautiful.

is this die siedler..?
CadetMahoney
Banned
(02-24-2010, 07:54 PM)
CadetMahoney's Avatar
rock carrier is uber strong.

book

Thread Tools