• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusGAF (2016)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fredescu

I just don't understand why they have done it. Not like they were unpopular or something.

Some marketing dude has figured out the economics behind releasing shitty versions of popular products so people who haven't bought them in a while buy them to try them, thus boosting sales temporarily. It's why all the shitty non standard Tim Tams and Magnums exist. I guess fucking with an existing popular product is an extension of that. It re engages consumers with the br... oh god I'm going to vomit

oipic

What's this about Shapes? Pizza Shapes are my baked-not-fried weakness, and they're nigh-on perfect as they are. Why tinker, Arnott's, why?

Sounds like change that nobody asked for, like when Glad made that stupid packaging change that saw the GladWrap tear-off strip moved to the lid of the box, rather than the lower edge of the box.... which was one of the least thought-through packaging changes I can recall. Common sense eventually prevailed in that case, thankfully, after people power saved the day.

Rizzi

I'm going in!

y7BqE2jl.jpg

Oh wow, more flavour!

Fredescu

Sounds like change that nobody asked for, like when Glad made that stupid packaging change that saw the GladWrap tear-off strip moved to the lid of the box, rather than the lower edge of the box.... which was one of the least thought-through packaging changes I can recall. Common sense eventually prevailed in that case, thankfully, after people power saved the day.

The slidy plastic cutter thing on the Aldi cling wrap is way better than the glad wrap one. Never going back.

jambo

It's like someone poured extra sugar in to the batch by accident and they are trying to pretend it was deliberate.

Yuck.

New shapes? Yeah, they're shit.

I had a packet of the new pizza shapes and directly compared with the old pizza shapes. Everyone agreed the new one's were terrible compared to the old.

- The flavour just isn't as good. Too sweet.
- No "texture" to the flavouring. The little yellow crispy bits don't exist anymore.
- The texture of the biscuit is all wrong. Soft, bad taste, lacking that satisfying crunch
- The "flavour baked in the biscuit" claim seems like bullshit. I licked the flavouring off and was left with a shitty soggy biscuit. There's no flavour inside...

All in all, there is nothing about new shapes that is better than old shapes. Just a total waste.

At least they are keeping the old BBQ shapes on the market with the new one's, but I'm not sure about pizza...

RE BBQ shapes - this is why they always taste like crap now ? noticed that a few years ago tho recently iv picked up a few packets were like have the bag is filled with that red dust and like wise missing half the biscuts lol so some sort of manufacturing problem
A few years back they had a change in manufacturing (removing palm oil, or adding it ... something to do with oil). The result is that while the biscuit was fine, all the flavouring never stuck to the biscuit.

So, they've tried to fix that by making them differently, with a different texture and ensuring the flavouring is stuck inside the biscuit instead.

I almost never eat Shapes any more so I don't even care. But I do find it fascinating how people respond to product changes like this.

r1chard

A few years back they had a change in manufacturing (removing palm oil, or adding it ... something to do with oil). The result is that while the biscuit was fine, all the flavouring never stuck to the biscuit.
I find this line (direct from Arnotts ... are you on their payroll or something!?!) absurd. I've been buying shapes (many of their varieties) for many, many years (at about a rate of one box a week), and enjoying them thoroughly. I didn't notice a couple of years ago when the flavour suddenly stopped adhering to the biscuits. They've been just as delicious the whole time.

I'm pretty sure that either:

1) someone new in Arnotts Had To Make His Mark by changing something arbitrarily, or
2) they had to get some new machinery in to replace older stuff and they couldn't replicate the old baking style so they're trying to pass it off as "yeah, we totally did this on purpose".

Disclaimer: I have not had any of the new batch. I just want to refute this bizarro line that the biscuits were somehow broken and flavourless, because they just simply were not.

oipic

New shapes? Yeah, they're shit.

All in all, there is nothing about new shapes that is better than old shapes. Just a total waste.

Good heavens, they sound dreadful. Thanks for taking one for the team, Poimandres.

Gee, sales figures must have been declining horribly in recent times?

I cannot understate how much I adore 'traditional' Pizza Shapes, and the capacity for this to rock my world in all sorts of unpleasant ways is saddening.

BRB, off to scour local supermarkets for 'real' Shapes.

Rizzi

Lame. Was supposed to pick up my new glasses tomorrow, but they just called me telling me it's going to take an extra week.
They made me pay upfront too, which is extra shitty. Stupid Specsavers..

Lame. Was supposed to pick up my new glasses tomorrow, but they just called me telling me it's going to take an extra week.
They made me pay upfront too, which is extra shitty. Stupid Specsavers..
But what do you think about people changing our favourite food snacks?

BBQ Shapes aren't even the best Shapes.
Chicken crimpy for life.

Yes. Also forget savoury and let us go back to chocolate. Forever. Fun fact my wife is all about savoury and basically never eats sweets. Fuck that total killjoy, just give me sugar :)

also Wonderful_Days or sky blue depending on what cut and dub of the film you are watching is a really good Korean film directed all the way back in 2003 that rivals films from 2013/14 in the animation department just a shame we didn't get more from that director before he passed away

never heard of this before! seemed to me like there was barely a korean animation industry except for a few token kids films. Looks good. Are you sure the director passed though? From quick google he seems to still be with us

The slidy plastic cutter thing on the Aldi cling wrap is way better than the glad wrap one. Never going back.

yeah they are the best!

wait - might have been one of the animators - i recall reading that one of the leads died of aids( he was like 23) and that's why we haven't seen anything big like that film since ........

Dryk

The university's social media guy came to ask to spotlight my Instagram account today. What an age we live in.

They got sued over their fat content marketing so they basically said fuck you and changed the whole range rather than just stop claiming they aren't full of fat.

The thing is... I compared the nutrition information for the old pizza shapes vs the new pizza shapes and the new one's are in no way healthier.

This is a cost cutting measure, through and through. Only way I can see it.

jambo

I actually ended up eating a decent amount of the BBQ Shapes. Still pretty moreish, even if the flavour is weirdly sweet.

What are you talking about this situation is hilarious

I'm talking more about the negative aspects of social media. Like bullies being able to continue bullying you online when you go home from school.

Dryk

I'm talking more about the negative aspects of social media. Like bullies being able to continue bullying you online when you go home from school.
Oh yeah that would suck. Especially since I would have been the kid who got bullied.

I find this line (direct from Arnotts ... are you on their payroll or something!?!) absurd.
If you rescind your statement I'll share some of the profit (a pallet of Shapes Classic).

IMO the old (dunno about the new) biscuits are as bland as you can get and there was never enough flavour on them. Haven't bought them for years now.

Jintor

I like that so far in this thread all we've covered is: pizza toppings, timtams, and shapes

You have to wait for the second episode to drop in May before we're allowed to progress any further. It's AusGAF (2016) after all

you could theoretically preorder the whole lot and get an on-disc version but only in 2017

Gazunta

It's not like any of us have played videogames to talk about.

I still don't even have a Wii U let alone a Xbone or PS4.0, just playing 3DS and the occasional new C64 game.

Reminder for BrisGAF: Free Comic Book Day is May 7, I'll be at Secret Identity giving out comics and sketches and hi-fives!

In honor of Anzac day next week, I'm going to make some Anzac biscuits and lamingtons to share with my British and Euro co-workers next week. It always spins me out that you can make your own arnott's kingston biscuits by using cooking milk chocolate as filling between two anzacs (the only difference in the biscuit is you would put the oats in a blender to make a kingston)

My mum's lamington recipe is controversial. It tastes exactly the same as a freshly made store bought lamington except it has no layer of jam in it. Mum puts the jam in with the chocolate coating. tastes wonderful.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom