• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What is the competitive value of having execution barriers in fighting games?

Alucrid

Banned
why just fighting games? are you saying there's something more worthwhile about mobas, rts games, etc. that have "execution barriers"?

emb

Here's a post that addresses the idea nicely, imo:
https://www.reddit.com/r/smashbros/comments/4cc3g6/5_years_later_and_im_still_super_salty/d1jfny7

It's in the context of Smash Bros. and L-cancelling, but I think it's applicable for many case.

tl;dr: Having a physical component to a game adds an element of risk (missed execution) to various options. Being tested on physical skills is not valueless; humans will never be perfect 100% of the time.

A physical sport may be 60% physical and 40% mental. Games like chess or Go will be 100% mental. Video games fall somewhere in between. Being 100% mental is not better all the time, it's a matter of preference.

Renekton

Here's a post that addresses the idea nicely, imo:
https://www.reddit.com/r/smashbros/comments/4cc3g6/5_years_later_and_im_still_super_salty/d1jfny7

It's in the context of Smash Bros. and L-cancelling, but I think it's applicable for many case.

tl;dr: Having a physical component to a game adds an element of risk (missed execution) to various options. Being tested on physical skills is not valueless; humans will never be perfect 100% of the time.
SFIV tourney top-level shows this is not a factor. Execution is near-perfect and players get by with practiced tech / OS rather than making choices.

Anth0ny

Here's my argument.

Sleep Fighter V.

We've literally been seeing the same dry ass combos for 6 months. If the game had actual hard to do high execution combos and a flexible combo system you'd be seeing fresh stuff all the time. Look at Marvel. That game is 5 years old and you still see new sick combos all the time. Keeps the game entertaining.

I agree... Street fighter v is fucking boring to watch already. It's ridiculous.

Melee, on the other hand.... 15 years later, still amazing to watch. I think a lot of that is thanks to the crazy execution involved. Players continue to push the game to its limit, and it's so impressive.

"SFIV tourney top-level shows this is not a factor. Execution is near-perfect and players get by with practiced tech / OS rather than making choices."

Execution is *near* perfect. Top level players don't miss much because they're top level players who spend countless hours practicing for the goal of being perfect. They still miss. And I'm sorry, but if you watched Evo top 8 last year or Capcom Cup and thought that players were getting by only with tech and OS, that's just being dishonest.

SFIV tourney top-level shows this is not a factor. Execution is near-perfect and players get by with practiced tech / OS rather than making choices.
Dropped combos are definitely a thing that happens in SF4, even in high level.

Even execution monsters like Sako drop shit from time to time.

Top Bottom