• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Orioto art thread - New VG wall every thursday!

orioto

Good Art™
Just wanted to say that I'm almost certainly going to buy 2 over the weekend for my new place!

It's just a matter of deciding which ones and what size now :)

Love your work :D

(Any chance of anything Splatoon-y in the future? :d)

Well you know what ? Ok, let's do that! I've been asked that many times. But it won't be character based yo know.

kyanern

Neo Member
Here we go. I swear if this one doesn't work i'm back to simpler compositions!

CglhJjbWIAIjpy0.jpg:large

50 prints HERE
Walls HERE

DAMN! you did a great job on this one man, I was hyped for a good reason. Ordering one soon!

orioto

Good Art™
Thx guys. I don't think i'll have one next week cause i have a comissioned street fighter 2 art to finish (for a french book) and i'm late.

cj_iwakura

If you don't mind some critique, I think the Tales one looks a little unclear? I can barely tell it's Kratos without knowing it's him. The FF8 one looks very clear in comparison. Both are still gorgeous, of course.

orioto

Good Art™
If you don't mind some critique, I think the Tales one looks a little unclear? I can barely tell it's Kratos without knowing it's him. The FF8 one looks very clear in comparison. Both are still gorgeous, of course.

Yeah it's a mess. I'm sorry about that. I'm a human being, i do that everyweek, i have to be focused, motivated, inspired... Sometimes it's like that, it's what it is. It's always an unknown path.

That splatoon art. Not sure how i will do it for exemple! I'm not good at cityscape.

cj_iwakura

Yeah it's a mess. I'm sorry about that. I'm a human being, i do that everyweek, i have to be focused, motivated, inspired... Sometimes it's like that, it's what it is. It's always an unknown path.

That splatoon art. Not sure how i will do it for exemple! I'm not good at cityscape.
Nothing to apologize for! Your art is still great, just want to help with how you can improve.

It's alright Orioto we all support you, just do your thing.

These are the latest 2 pieces i bought from you. I have space in my wall for one more piece from you, so I'll probably wait a while before i buy another one.

Just do your thing man, we all have ups and downs and you don't own anyone anything. If your not feeling it you don't need to push yourself to get one out every week.

orioto

Good Art™
It's alright Orioto we all support you, just do your thing.

These are the latest 2 pieces i bought from you. I have space in my wall for one more piece from you, so I'll probably wait a while before i buy another one.

Just do your thing man, we all have ups and downs and you don't own anyone anything. If your not feeling it you don't need to push yourself to get one out every week.

Nice thx :)

That said, again, it's not about doing it for the sake of it every week. It's needed for me to make a living :)

There won't be anything this week but i'm actually still working on a new piece, except it's for a commission, so no holidays for me lol. And there will be nothing to wake up my sales this week, to end a really bad month already.

orioto

Good Art™
Thx guys, i'm happy about that one it was a risky composition at least! And it's a shot that is not in the intro, i mean with the sky and the petals.

I may release two old arts tonight. Th Fzero one that was really shortly on my store, and the 30yo Mario art cause it's on HCG but many people told me it was too expensive there with the shipping costs. Adam Smasher won't hate me i hope :p

By the way if some french people from Lille are there, i'll have my very first individual expo in le dernier bar avant la fin du monde, à Lille, all May month!

AfficheDemoP.jpg

Facebook event

orioto

Good Art™
Pretty hard to see where i'm going right ? I hope it should be nice in the end. But different from the game obviously.

SplatoonWIP01.jpg

scottnak

Oooh. Looking forward to the final product!

I also got the 2 metal prints I ordered a few days back. Just waiting til the weekend to get the stuff I need to hang it up. Looks amaaaaazing :D

Will post pictures of the final hanging soon----

orioto

Good Art™
Oooh. Looking forward to the final product!

I also got the 2 metal prints I ordered a few days back. Just waiting til the weekend to get the stuff I need to hang it up. Looks amaaaaazing :D

Will post pictures of the final hanging soon----

I'm curious to see those metal prints actually! Never saw one myself.

wip, will be finished tomorow.

Koren

I'm curious to see those metal prints actually! Never saw one myself.
Assuming Redbubble does a good job, metal prints are nothing short of great for this kind of stuff, especially in matte finish.

I want to buy a metal print of your Pikmin art, I'm just trying to find a week where I'll be able to receive it easily. I'll post a picture if someone is interested, even if I'm not sure a picture is really revealing.

I've been convinced by metal prints for this kind of "paintings" when I saw Aoji display in Japan Expo a couple years ago. I guess it would be hard/expensive for you to have a display in Japan Expo, but I think you could find possible customers there, btw...

Too bad I left Lille at the end of April and won't come back for several weeks, I would have liked to see your expo there.

I'll probably buy half a dozen smaller ones, too. I really like your art, I just have to settle on the size/material... hard choices... :/ Thanks for your work. The last one is great once again.

Edit: I'll say it (although it's not a request, seeing how the series is not well-known in the West and in bad shape now), I'd be curious to see what you would do with Sakura Taisen. Especially with the third game. More than curious, in fact... avid ;)

orioto

Good Art™
Assuming Redbubble does a good job, metal prints are nothing short of great for this kind of stuff, especially in matte finish.

I want to buy a metal print of your Pikmin art, I'm just trying to find a week where I'll be able to receive it easily. I'll post a picture if someone is interested, even if I'm not sure a picture is really revealing.

I've been convinced by metal prints for this kind of "paintings" when I saw Aoji display in Japan Expo a couple years ago. I guess it would be hard/expensive for you to have a display in Japan Expo, but I think you could find possible customers there, btw...

Too bad I left Lille at the end of April and won't come back for several weeks, I would have liked to see your expo there.

I'll probably buy half a dozen smaller ones, too. I really like your art, I just have to settle on the size/material... hard choices... :/ Thanks for your work. The last one is great once again.

Edit: I'll say it (although it's not a request, seeing how the series is not well-known in the West and in bad shape now), I'd be curious to see what you would do with Sakura Taisen. Especially with the third game. More than curious, in fact... avid ;)

Thx for that :)

I would love to have something at japan expo but yeah buying space is super expensive, and it'll be something small and hidden. In al honesty, i've been doing that for years and being featured all over the world. If i had the least network here, i would be able to be a guest at Japan Expo. I mean fucking idealize was a guest last year -__- But i'm treated like shit in France compared to anywhere else.

Sakura Taisen ? Haha, i'm a fan actually. I played the second one. But it seems difficult to do :p

Jockel

So, uh. I really would have liked a poster of Artorias Grave for my friends birthday... but apparently redbubble is sold out? How does that make sense? Can I buy a high res file to print it myself or something?

orioto

Good Art™
So, uh. I really would have liked a poster of Artorias Grave for my friends birthday... but apparently redbubble is sold out? How does that make sense? Can I buy a high res file to print it myself or something?

It's pretty simple. It's just me creating an artificial emergency to buy the poster. Cause people are not in a hurry to buy them if i don't, and i need to sell a certain amount of poster every month to make a living :)

So yeah it's artificial, the Dark Souls art could still be printed, but i need to keep that unfair rule alive, so next time people buy something they like when it's out :p

It's not always easy cause at some point, like now, when the sales are low.. Obviously i have to realize my 10 best sellers of the last month are.. not sold anymore. That doesn't help. You need to have new big sellers every months..

Maybe i could rather have a bargain price for the first week or something. I'm looking for better strategies!

About the sold out ones, i have something on my facebook now. Every 500 followers i'll have them vote for a sold out piece to come back for a new run.

Lumination

'enry 'ollins
Jeez, I JUST ordered a new print, but man that Splatoon one looks good. Going to see if I can get an exchange since I ordered it literally 6hrs ago.

Jockel

It's pretty simple. It's just me creating an artificial emergency to buy the poster. Cause people are not in a hurry to buy them if i don't, and i need to sell a certain amount of poster every month to make a living :)
Does that actually work out? If so, of course more power to you. But in my case, it's literally a lost sale. Saw the thread being bumped, saw the cool Artorias piece, wanted to buy it, sold out. :/

orioto

Good Art™
Does that actually work out? If so, of course more power to you. But in my case, it's literally a lost sale. Saw the thread being bumped, saw the cool Artorias piece, wanted to buy it, sold out. :/

As i was saying, yes and no.

Yes it works cause i wouldn't have sold the 50 in that amount of time if it wasn't limited. People would have waited, maybe even forgotten to buy it.. When people see a poster online they think "it's nice maybe i'll buy it". If they see maybe it won't be available in some weeks, well that force them to make a decision :) I wouldn't have sold more than 1000 poster in 2015 without this, i'm sure of it.

No cause i'm till struggling and realizing i have really popular pieces that could give me regular income (maybe!) and they are not there anymore.

Jockel

As i was saying, yes and no.

Yes it works cause i wouldn't have sold the 50 in that amount of time if it wasn't limited. People would have waited, maybe even forgotten to buy it.. When people see a poster online they think "it's nice maybe i'll buy it". If they see maybe it won't be available in some weeks, well that force them to make a decision :) I wouldn't have sold more than 1000 poster in 2015 without this, i'm sure of it.

No cause i'm till struggling and realizing i have really popular pieces that could give me regular income (maybe!) and they are not there anymore.
Wouldn't it make sense to have regular reprints of your popular posters?
Or can we take it to PM and find a solution?

Enforcer

So yeah it's artificial, the Dark Souls art could still be printed, but i need to keep that unfair rule alive, so next time people buy something they like when it's out :p

It's not always easy cause at some point, like now, when the sales are low.. Obviously i have to realize my 10 best sellers of the last month are.. not sold anymore. That doesn't help. You need to have new big sellers every months..

Maybe i could rather have a bargain price for the first week or something. I'm looking for better strategies!

About the sold out ones, i have something on my facebook now. Every 500 followers i'll have them vote for a sold out piece to come back for a new run.

I totally understand that you've gotta drive sales to support yourself, so I get why you have that limited run rule. Still, I wish there was some other sales driver you could use, because I've missed out on several prints I would have gotten if they were available by the time I'd had the money to buy them. It unfortunately ends up with a lost sale in my case. I like your first week discount idea. Even if I couldn't afford that price at the time, if the prints stayed in production, I could afford it down the road! Can we vote for business strategies? ;)

Limited runs aside, I did manage to get myself one of your Metroid prints (Electric Sky) last year though. I went with the small metal print and it looks stunning. Its easily the nicest piece of art I have, video game related or otherwise. I love it so much and I'm a huge fan of your work. I have been for years, before I even knew NeoGAF existed and that you had an ongoing art thread here! I'm currently saving up for the Pikmin print, which I absolutely love. I also want the F-Zero one... and the Splatoon one... I need a second job, lol! And also more walls to hang them on!

I just have to settle on the size/material... hard choices... :/

I HIGHLY recommend the metal print with the matte finish. I wasn't sure what to get when I ordered it, but decided to take a chance on the metal, partly because I liked the idea of having Samus in her armor displayed on metal and I'm so glad I did. I'm pretty sure any future print I buy from Orioto's shop will also be metal.

orioto

Good Art™
Wouldn't it make sense to have regular reprints of your popular posters?
Or can we take it to PM and find a solution?

Well yeah that's why i'm doing the every 500 followers thing on facebook :p Maybe there is a better way i don't know. Sales strategy are complicated!!

I totally understand that you've gotta drive sales to support yourself, so I get why you have that limited run rule. Still, I wish there was some other sales driver you could use, because I've missed out on several prints I would have gotten if they were available by the time I'd had the money to buy them. It unfortunately ends up with a lost sale in my case. I like your first week discount idea. Even if I couldn't afford that price at the time, if the prints stayed in production, I could afford it down the road! Can we vote for business strategies? ;)

Limited runs aside, I did manage to get myself one of your Metroid prints (Electric Sky) last year though. I went with the small metal print and it looks stunning. Its easily the nicest piece of art I have, video game related or otherwise. I love it so much and I'm a huge fan of your work. I have been for years, before I even knew NeoGAF existed and that you had an ongoing art thread here! I'm currently saving up for the Pikmin print, which I absolutely love. I also want the F-Zero one... and the Splatoon one... I need a second job, lol! And also more walls to hang them on!

I HIGHLY recommend the metal print with the matte finish. I wasn't sure what to get when I ordered it, but decided to take a chance on the metal, partly because I liked the idea of having Samus in her armor displayed on metal and I'm so glad I did. I'm pretty sure any future print I buy from Orioto's shop will also be metal.

But metal print are the most expensive you know :p Most people can't afford them. You know most poster sold are in the 20 euros averagely :p

I'd love better business strategies.. I shouldn't be struggling with everything i did last year..

Kaako

Felium Defensor
Thx i needed that^^ I finally finished it! That blue/orange tone lol

Cd7AfbbWoAE8WzD.jpg:large

50 Prints HERE
Wallpapers HERE

So next week, ALTTP, pyramid. I have to see how i can add to that scene cause there is not a lot to it visually in first place..
Hoooly shit how did I miss this. Orioto, just damn...this is beautiful.

orioto

Good Art™
Thx guys!

Well 2 people bought a splatoon tonight (see i'm still doing pretty small numbers even with the limit!), one of them being Anthony Carbony!

Koren

Hoooly shit how did I miss this. Orioto, just damn...this is beautiful.
I agree, and I don't even recognize the scene. I'm surprised it's not more popular.

But metal print are the most expensive you know :p Most people can't afford them. You know most poster sold are in the 20 euros averagely :p
I'd say that the main issue with the metal prints it that the smallest size is something a bit larger than 430x300. It's not that easy to group a couple on a wall.

A bit smaller and I wouldn't think that much about it. I'm not that fond of the white border of art prints, and you still have to frame them (plus you have to be careful of reflexions)

Out of curiosity, btw, why some of your older ones lack the art print and the metal option? I wish the Bomberman one was available in either, for example.

I agree, it would be my first pick, even at a higher cost, as I said above. I've bought two from Aoji, one being really large (1m wide), and they're just great.

But with metal prints being larger, I would probably have to cycle them, though, and there's the storage issue. It's easier with art paper prints (in fact, you can even "store" 2-3 within the frame itself!).

Limited runs aside, I did manage to get myself one of your Metroid prints (Electric Sky) last year though.
I wish I knew about it at that time :/ I've known Orioto's art for some time now, but I only discovered this thread (and Redbubble) recently. Too late :/ Now, I'm checking the numbers, so I guess the limited trick works at least a bit...

If i had the least network here, i would be able to be a guest at Japan Expo. I mean fucking idealize was a guest last year -__- But i'm treated like shit in France compared to anywhere else.
That's sad to here... If we can do anything about it...

Sakura Taisen ? Haha, i'm a fan actually. I played the second one. But it seems difficult to do :p
I guess so... I wouldn't mind having a couple "paintings" about places like the Paris theater, hanging on a wall (I actually have plently of Sakura Taisen memorabilia, from a Sakura original cell to huge vintage maps of Paris and Tokyo annotated in Japanese with special places, but there's something missing ^_^ I'm even working on a blueprint of Koubu F2 from time to time).

Enforcer

Well yeah that's why i'm doing the every 500 followers thing on facebook :p Maybe there is a better way i don't know. Sales strategy are complicated!!

I'd love better business strategies.. I shouldn't be struggling with everything i did last year..

Hahahaha you're not wrong about those metal prints! They're just so damn nice, though!

It does suck that you've been struggling with this as a business. You're an excellent artist and you deserve to a success. I'll keep an eye on your facebook page for the followers thing!

But with metal prints being larger, I would probably have to cycle them, though, and there's the storage issue. It's easier with art paper prints (in fact, you can even "store" 2-3 within the frame itself!).

True, storage can easily become an issue with the metal prints. I have a lot of art paper prints and eventually I got sick of trying to find frames and mattes for them that didn't greatly increase the amount of actual wall space they take up, so that was a factor for me in getting the metal print. Its just a fire and forget solution, you know? But as you said, if you end up with several of them and can't hang them all, then storage definitely becomes something to consider.

I wish I knew about it at that time :/ I've known Orioto's art for some time now, but I only discovered this thread (and Redbubble) recently. Too late :/ Now, I'm checking the numbers, so I guess the limited trick works at least a bit...

Indeed, the scarcity is definitely an effective sales tactic as it drives people to buy sooner than later. I just wish it didn't also result in me crying myself to sleep at night when I miss a print I want. ;)

orioto

Good Art™
I agree, and I don't even recognize the scene. I'm surprised it's not more popular.

I'd say that the main issue with the metal prints it that the smallest size is something a bit larger than 430x300. It's not that easy to group a couple on a wall.

A bit smaller and I wouldn't think that much about it. I'm not that fond of the white border of art prints, and you still have to frame them (plus you have to be careful of reflexions)

Out of curiosity, btw, why some of your older ones lack the art print and the metal option? I wish the Bomberman one was available in either, for example.

I agree, it would be my first pick, even at a higher cost, as I said above. I've bought two from Aoji, one being really large (1m wide), and they're just great.

That's sad to here... If we can do anything about it...

I guess so... I wouldn't mind having a couple "paintings" about places like the Paris theater, hanging on a wall (I actually have plently of Sakura Taisen memorabilia, from a Sakura original cell to huge vintage maps of Paris and Tokyo annotated in Japanese with special places, but there's something missing ^_^ I'm even working on a blueprint of Koubu F2 from time to time).

Well it depends, are from gamekult or jv.com :p ? or are you Cyprien or le joueur du grenier :p

About the old ones, you're right, i forgot to add the new options to some of them, i'll check that tonight ok! They'll all have metal and art print!

Indeed, the scarcity is definitely an effective sales tactic as it drives people to buy sooner than later. I just wish it didn't also result in me crying myself to sleep at night when I miss a print I want. ;)

Hey don't worry ultimatly they'll be back at some point, at least with this every 500 followers thing (25 left right now). What i would like is that to help me gain more followers!

By the way guys, i'm doing MGS!! ANy idea ?? The first one ?? Which scene ??

Koren

Well it depends, are from gamekult or jv.com :p ? or are you Cyprien or le joueur du grenier :p
Unfortunately not. But if you think of something...

About the old ones, you're right, i forgot to add the new options to some of them, i'll check that tonight ok! They'll all have metal and art print!
Many thanks. You'll get a couple more sales from me down the road... ;)

Neiteio

Questions:

If you get a large framed piece, it's not simply stretched, right? The pixel density, etc, still matches up for maximum clarity?

Also, when you get it framed, is there some sort of glass?

orioto

Good Art™
Questions:

If you get a large framed piece, it's not simply stretched, right? The pixel density, etc, still matches up for maximum clarity?

Also, when you get it framed, is there some sort of glass?

My art is done for 300dpi at medium size, cause i can't do bigger than that with my files. My computer can't handle 10,000 pixel files! But the quality is still perfectly ok at bigger size, there is no loss, it's just slightly less sharp if you look at it from close.

There frames have some replacement for glass, they say it's "Premium Perspex - clearer and lighter than glass"

Neiteio

My art is done for 300dpi at medium size, cause i can't do bigger than that with my files. My computer can't handle 10,000 pixel files! But the quality is still perfectly ok at bigger size, there is no loss, it's just slightly less sharp if you look at it from close.

There frames have some replacement for glass, they say it's "Premium Perspex - clearer and lighter than glass"
So you're saying the frames have some sort of clear layer that shields the art, right? It doesn't have to be literal glass — I just want to make sure that if I spend $160 on something, it will be protected from the elements.

And when I'm looking at the framed options, are the dimensions referring to the art itself, or the art plus the frame?

Also, is a "sold out" item really gone for good? There's no way to make more of them?

Your work is incredible, btw. :)

orioto

Good Art™
So you're saying the frames have some sort of clear layer that shields the art, right? It doesn't have to be literal glass — I just want to make sure that if I spend $160 on something, it will be protected from the elements.

And when I'm looking at the framed options, are the dimensions referring to the art itself, or the art plus the frame?

Also, is a "sold out" item really gone for good? There's no way to make more of them?

Your work is incredible, btw. :)

The dimensions are the picture yeah, they say it's bigger with the frame. You can see infos there.

We were discussing the sold out problem just now. They'll be back from time to time! See my facebook page for more about that!

And thx!

Neiteio

The dimensions are the picture yeah, they say it's bigger with the frame. You can see infos there.

We were discussing the sold out problem just now. They'll be back from time to time! See my facebook page for more about that!

And thx!
One other question: Do you plan to release a book at some point compiling all of your art? Ideally a hardcover I could order on Amazon?

Top Bottom