• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NX will launch in March 2017 globally, won't be at E3 (focusing on Zelda instead)

Status
Not open for further replies.

MuchoMalo

Banned
That's sort of a random date to throw out there. I guess you're running on the assumption they're literally changing gears today?

The entire supposition, as stated, is based on them already having refactored at some point in the past. Granted, probably the past year, but I'm fairly certain they're well on their way at this point. I'm not saying I think they're going to go into the office tomorrow and say, "Scrap everything! New plan!"

I suppose, but I still highly doubt it. I mean, why would they be that terrified of VR? It's unlikely that they were planning to go above $350, and I honestly don't think that even a $200 system could be positioned in such a way. You're also saying that this is a factor in an internal delay, and based on what LCGeek said about the CPU they may have still had a system with current-gen power as recently as last month. I think that you're just putting a ridiculously overblown amount of stock into how big first-gen VR will be, especially since the two most important headsets have already been released. There's no way that Nintendo basically redid everything just because of VR. Again, mobile didn't affect their 3DS plans four years after the release of the iPhone, so why would VR be enough to force them to start from scratch based on how big it might be?

JB2448

Because until a game is on shelves/online storefronts, problems can arise. Plans can change, people or companies could die or go belly up, and many other things can happen to render a product delayed or even cancelled.
It's the same problem people faced buying a PlayStation 3 for Final Fantasy Versus XIII and Kingdom Hearts III.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
I don't know if anyone has talked about this, but this is what I feel is wrong with Nintendo revealing the NX late: everyone else. That is to say, during this E3, and until the NX reveal event, companies still won't be able to say "Coming to PS4, Xbox One, and the NX." The big megatons of E3 that are targeting 2017+ for release might not be announced for NX as well because of this caveat (even if they are making the game for it).
I would propose this isn't a concern if you don't actually have much in the way of support.

The PS4 and Xbox One had to make it out in Fall 2013 to keep their partners happy even though the Xbox One wasn't ready with its core operating system and Sony didn't have much in the way of first party software, but I'm not convinced anyone is even remotely perturbed about the NX not showing up.

Smellycat

I don't see how people can interpret this news in any positive way. It is one thing to delay the release of NX till next year, but to not even reveal it on gaming's biggest stage is just worrying. Please don't tell me that Nintendo is worried that other companies will steal their idea. That is pure nonsense. Sony is busy promoting their VR and PS4K, and same thing with Microsoft. The fact that Nintendo even has a bigger booth (or about the same) than previous years is a sign that they had big plans but something changed. I don't believe for a second that their plan all along was just to come to E3 bringing only Zelda Wii U. No freaking way....

I wonder what happened....

Kickz

I am guessing the PS4K has them pumping their brakes before they release another underpowered toy..

Still super disappointing

Astral Dog

How sad. Like depressingly sad.

Wii U released at the end of 2012
Zelda U announced at E3 in 2013
Doesn't come out until next Nintendo console in 2017

Really good way to keep your fanbase! Nintendo is just blowing it right now. I have more faith in MS PR right now than anything that comes from Nintendo.

Nintendo's message to Wii U owners that purchased a Wii U largely because of the Zelda franchise: "Eat a dick and oops sorry."

Dont ever become a Square Enix fan

Yado

I don't see how people can interpret this news in any positive way. It is one thing to delay the release of NX till next year, but to not even reveal it on gaming's biggest stage is just worrying. Please don't tell me that Nintendo is worried that other companies will steal their idea. That is pure nonsense. Sony is busy promoting their VR and PS4K, and same thing with Microsoft. The fact that Nintendo even has a bigger booth (or about the same) than previous years is a sign that they had big plans but something changed. I don't believe for a second that their plan all along was just to come to E3 bringing only Zelda Wii U. No freaking way....

Does it even matter? The Wii U was announced at E3 the year before it launched and look how that turned out.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
I am guessing the PS4K has them pumping their brakes before they release another underpowered toy..

Consoles play video games. They're all toys.

Josh5890

hqdefault.jpg

Where you getting 5 months from? We had no confirmation of if or when it would arrive this year beyond Trevs marketing leak.

It's really simple imo: If it's not ready to unveil in April/May 2016, then it's not ready to show games at e3 (can't show games if it isn't revealed). No one unveils consoles at e3 anymore (for reasons already discussed and apparently well understood by Sony & MS), so the only option left is to unveil it after e3.

What? Nintendo's own wording refers to this as a delay, specifically because they wanted to allow more time for the software to mature. We're not the ones calling it a delay; Nintendo is!

Pinky

Banned
Man, Nintendo fans have been SALTY these past 2 days...

The fans are just disappointed and I don't blame them one bit. I'm pretty much over it, but I still feel somewhat bummed that we have to wait longer for NX details, the actual launch of the platform and Zelda.

Pancake Mix

Copied someone else's pancake recipe
Nothing is guaranteed, you shouldn't buy any console for one game.
Plus, the game is still coming out for Wii U and that's the system it was primarily developed for.

That doesn't make Nintendo immune from criticism for delaying the game solely for NX, and releasing a console for which they did not make a single new (exclusive) 3D Zelda title.

There's this weird tendency in this thread for people to say "it's your fault" when actually...it's not. Nintendo needs early adopters and people who buy into games with no release dates just like Sony and Microsoft do. Blaming someone for doing what Nintendo wants and then feeling left out afterwards when they don't get a new 3D Zelda between 2011 and 2017 exclusively so it can launch with the NEXT system is absurd. Fans like that are a lot more valuable than the "I'll buy it when it's $99 and comes with three games" crowd.

I don't know how much is on Nintendo's end but a friend of mine works for a processing plant manufacturing the new AMD chips and there was some kind of major disconnect with the slide diagrams for NX and another upcoming console upgrade (not NEO). Which had an immediate impact on their yield for those parts/

You should get vetted by a mod and see if you can make a new thread. Anything that affects yields like that is pretty interesting imo.

Not Neo? So Xbox OnePointFive?

I don't know how much is on Nintendo's end but a friend of mine works for a processing plant manufacturing the new AMD chips and there was some kind of major disconnect with the slide diagrams for NX and another upcoming console upgrade (not NEO). Which had an immediate impact on their yield for those parts/

Nothing is guaranteed, you shouldn't buy any console for one game.
Plus, the game is still coming out for Wii U and that's the system it was primarily developed for.

Sure, but can you realize that Wii U will be the only Nintendo console without an exclusive Zelda game ? Even though TP released on both Wii and GC... GC still had its Zelda, with Wind Waker. You shouldn't buy any console for one game, but let's be honest, before Wii U got released, if I ever told you it wouldn't have its own Zelda, would you believe it ? I don't think so. Which means people have expectations that come with a brand.

That doesn't make Nintendo immune from criticism for delaying the game solely for NX, and releasing a console for which they did not make a single new (exclusive) 3D Zelda title.

"It's your fault" when actually...it's not. Nintendo needs early adopters and people who buy into games with no release dates just like Sony and Microsoft do. Blaming someone for doing what Nintendo wants and then feeling left out afterwards is absurd.

You should get vetted by a mod and see if you can make a new thread. Anything that affects yields like that is pretty interesting imo.

Not Neo? So Xbox OnePointFive?

I literally am parsing this from a group text. My buddy works IT for a chip plant in Upstate NY. He claims (and I have zero reason to not believe him) that there is concurrent production happening for NX and a MS thing, I have no specs or details other than there was mix up between which slides were for which and the ones made for NX were intended for an "xbox one upgrade"

I literally am parsing this from a group text. My buddy works IT for a chip plant in Upstate NY. He claims (and I have zero reason to not believe him) that there is concurrent production happening for NX and a MS thing, I have no specs or details other than there was mix up between which slides were for which and the ones made for NX were intended for an "xbox one upgrade"

Of course, why didn't we see it? NX. The Nintendo X-Box.

I'm kidding. Please don't actually speculate on this.

ThisGuy

So I'm out of the loop in terms of what this console will be. Will it be a fully fleshed out handheld as well as a console? If that's the case will the 3ds be taking a backseat once it's released as well? I'm really interested in Nintendos new console, but dont 'get' it.

So I'm out of the loop in terms of what this console will be. Will it be a fully fleshed out handheld as well as a console? If that's the case will the 3ds be taking a backseat once it's released as well? I'm really interested in Nintendos new console, but dont 'get' it.
Nobody has any clue what the NX is. Lol

gamerMan

Nintendo did say they are going to be showing the NX this year just not at E3. Maybe they felt it would be better to showcase the product at their own event much like Apple. It makes a lot of sense since they won't be competing with other gaming platforms. So when are they going to show it? Is it just going to be in a Nintendo Direct or are they going to create a public event of their own?

Nintendo did say they are going to be showing the NX this year just not at E3. Maybe they felt it would be better to showcase the product at their own event much like Apple. I think this is unprescedented. It makes a lot of sense since they won't be competing with other gaming platforms. So when are they going to show it? Is it just going to be in a Nintendo Direct or are they going to create a public event of their own?
Probably something like that Fall Event for the Wii U in New York where Trinen demoed Metroid Blast and they showed Bayonetta briefly.

AniHawk

How sad. Like depressingly sad.

Wii U released at the end of 2012
Zelda U announced at E3 in 2013
Doesn't come out until next Nintendo console in 2017

Really good way to keep your fanbase! Nintendo is just blowing it right now. I have more faith in MS PR right now than anything that comes from Nintendo.

Nintendo's message to Wii U owners that purchased a Wii U largely because of the Zelda franchise: "Eat a dick and oops sorry."

zelda wii u was first shown at e3 2014. it was first discussed in january 2013 though.

also, zelda wii u is still coming out for wii u. if you bought a system based on one game you saw in 2014 or heard about in 2013 (when 2015 was the original release date and thus 18-36 months away), then that's your own fault.

Will the Nintendo Space World make its triumphant return and show the NX? Unless the plan on announcing it at the TGS or Gamescom, the Nintendo Space World would be the best venue to do it in, while reviving an old Nintendo tradition.

Who knows what Nintendo are cooking up?

No one really.

I'm really hoping they pull an Apple.

Reveal huge and then, having had time to manufacture, release shortly after the reveal announcement - when the announce hype is hot.

There were rumors flying around (a while back on GAF about manufacture) that this thing is expected to sell millions, so an Apple-esque reveal and launch it shortly after - might be ideal.

Maybe being unique, they'll do some huge CES blowout?

Could be anything.

Nintendo did say they are going to be showing the NX this year just not at E3. Maybe they felt it would be better to showcase the product at their own event much like Apple. It makes a lot of sense since they won't be competing with other gaming platforms. So when are they going to show it? Is it just going to be in a Nintendo Direct or are they going to create a public event of their own?

Whether they do or not doesn't mean anything. The fact is, they're passing on another avenue to showcase, and crunching any hype build-up time into a shorter time frame.

Skipping E3 for NX is just one less event for them to build momentum for the platform. That's never good. Especially not good when that one less event is the biggest event in the gaming industry.

Somnid

Whether they do or not doesn't mean anything. The fact is, they're passing on another avenue to showcase, and crunching any hype build-up time into a shorter time frame.

Skipping E3 for NX is just one less event for them to build momentum for the platform. That's never good. Especially not good when that one less event is the biggest event in the gaming industry.

Shorter isn't really a bad thing though. Having it out there for too long is usually not good, Wii U in particular was shown way too early. 6-9 months is a pretty good frame for a console as such E3 is better timing for a fall launch than a March launch. For other types of hardware 3 months is like the maximum.

zelda wii u was first shown at e3 2014. it was first discussed in january 2013 though.

also, zelda wii u is still coming out for wii u. if you bought a system based on one game you saw in 2014 or heard about in 2013 (when 2015 was the original release date and thus 18-36 months away), then that's your own fault.
Nintendo's 3rd party support is terrible, which means they have to rely on their 1st party games to sell consoles. You're telling me that after it was announced and shown to the public, it was wrong of me to assume there wouldn't be at least one core Zelda game, one of nintendo's largest selling franchises outside of Mario, exclusive to the Wii U? If my memory serves me correctly, this will be the first time that's ever happened in the history of nintendo consoles. And yes I'll be upset when a game is slated for 2015 and doesn't get released until 2017. That's a pretty normal reaction lol.

Pokemaniac

If true, this could definitely be a contributing factor. I could definitely see production issues now causing a domino effect that would cause a delayed reveal and launch.

Pokemaniac

This also seems potentially thread-worthy even just with those details. You should consider reaching out to a mod for verification.

Vena

14nm here we go.

AniHawk

Nintendo's 3rd party support is terrible, which means they have to rely on their 1st party games to sell consoles. You're telling me that after it was announced and shown to the public, it was wrong of me to assume there wouldn't be at least one core Zelda game, one of nintendo's largest selling franchises outside of Mario, exclusive to the Wii U? If my memory serves me correctly, this will be the first time that's ever happened in the history of nintendo consoles. And yes I'll be upset when a game is slated for 2015 and doesn't get released until 2017. That's a pretty normal reaction lol.

i think it's unreasonable to buy a console solely for unreleased stuff and then get angry when it eventually does get released because it's not exclusive.

i recommend buying things for stuff that's already out. make an informed decision. that way when one or two things becomes an inconvenience, it's not a big deal. i tend to only buy platforms when there's 3-5 games i have a really good feeling i'd like. i didn't get a wii u or vita at launch, but when i got them, i felt i got my money's worth right away. if i bought a ps4 in 2013 because of mirror's edge, final fantasy versus xiii, and kingdom hearts 3, i'd have no one but myself to blame for being disappointed in the system in 2016.

ramparter

Banned
Because until a game is on shelves/online storefronts, problems can arise. Plans can change, people or companies could die or go belly up, and many other things can happen to render a product delayed or even cancelled.
It's the same problem people faced buying a PlayStation 3 for Final Fantasy Versus XIII and Kingdom Hearts III.
Last Guardian

I hope so. A big reveal with a lot of games.
Though I don't expect anything these days and consider the most unlikely might happen with NX.

Damn, what the hell?

Gleethor

I doubt the ps4k factors into even one iota of Nintendo's plans and I'm a little confused as to why so many people have suggested this as a possibility.

Nictel

They hired the same guy.

Lemrik

Neo Member

wait a second...what does this actually mean?

Vena

Also if that info is true, Nintendo is going to be super pissed. SUPER PISSED. And there would be major repurcusions to the production group or AMD.

wait a second...what does this actually mean?

My naive guess would be that the NX and XBone2 are on a similar production line but someone fucked up really badly and the wrong item was produced for Nintendo.

If it is 14nm... That's a double fuck up because yields were already low.

Lemrik

Neo Member
Also if that info is true, Nintendo is going to be super pissed. SUPER PISSED. And there would be major repurcusions to the production group or AMD.

My naive guess would be that the NX and XBone2 are on a similar production line but someone fucked up really badly and the wrong item was produced for Nintendo.

If it is 14nm... That's a double fuck up because yields were already low.

Ohh boy...if that´s true Kimishima is in Rambo-Mode xD

Vena

Ohh boy...if that´s true Kimishima is in Rambo-Mode xD

It's potentially a major fuck up that has impacted major fiscal, retail, and development plans as well as cost Nintendo a holiday season.

This isn't Rambo mode. This would be litigous rage.

And I doubt anyone is laughing. If true, I wonder what sort of wringing and deals Nintendo could potentially gain from this.

Pokemaniac

It's potentially a major fuck up that has impacted major fiscal, retail, and development plans as well as cost Nintendo a holiday season.

This isn't Rambo mode. This would be litigous rage.

And I doubt anyone is laughing. If true, I wonder what sort of wringing and deals Nintendo could potentially gain from this.

Yeah, if this is really what happened, then they fscked up, badly. Also might help explain why devkits are seemingly still so scarce.

Zalman

So it's all Microsoft's fault!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom