• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Volgarr the Viking is already available on Games with Gold

shandy706

Really enjoying this game. I only got to play for a few minutes and had to get use to that old-school "die-and-try again" way of things.

Good stuff.

Here are a few gifs to help out those that may struggle on the first level.

ksxaoq.gif

shfezw.gif

ihrwvy.gif

czrfwj.gif

Duck attacks work great. In fact, ducking helps in a lot of areas. Using spears for cover can help when not being used as platforms. I don't recommend using your shield often (can be done by just standing/crouching and being still), but it can get you past something if you're stuck.

I finally beat the first boss. Fire sword made light work of that jabroni.

Had a little play of the second level. I spazzed out a bit and ended up chucking a spear which hit a wall and the wall cracked. So I threw another and this time the wall vanished and revealed a hammer behind it. When I jumped for said hammer I drowned. :( up yours game! Can I actually get it or is it just mocking me?

theDeeDubs

Had some issues with suspend/resume not working. Also if I select reset game will it remove the ability to skip levels? As in I'll have to beat it again to get back the level skip options?

Ziophaelin

There is a known issue right now some players are experiencing problems with the level skip (save). We are working very hard to get this working for everyone right now.

Sorry for the inconvenience. We should have it resolved a few days after we manage to push the patch to Microsoft.

theDeeDubs

There is a known issue right now some players are experiencing problems with the level skip (save). We are working very hard to get this working for everyone right now.

Sorry for the inconvenience. We should have it resolved a few days after we manage to push the patch to Microsoft.

Ah I see. Wasn't sure if it was something I hit that removed it or not.

Was wondering about that. Beat the first level on Saturday, turned off my Xbox, but couldn't skip it when I went back to it on Sunday.

At least I'll get very good at the first level until the patch is pushed through.

I'm enjoying the game despite it being difficult. It always feels fair and I don't get that sense of frustration that I get in some of the neo-oldschool titles.

That being said I also want to chime in about suspend/resume. I was playing the game, paused it, went to the dash and watched TV for a while, and when I came back to Volgarr it took me to the pause screen and I could hear the music but the game wouldn't respond to any input. I had to go back to the dash and quit the game that way.

ValeYard

Does anyone know why this game isn't available on Games with Gold in Germany and other countries? This site thinks it's the age rating.

I already have Powerstar Golf and really like the look of this game. It reminds me of Rastan Saga.

ArjanN

Really enjoying this game. I only got to play for a few minutes and had to get use to that old-school "die-and-try again" way of things.

Good stuff.

Here are a few gifs to help out those that may struggle on the first level.

ksxaoq.gif

I guess he didn't know you can just downattack through the grey block.

ArjanN

ugh, that second boss is a pain in the ass but the second level is so much easier than the first.

IMO the second boss is the hardest one, that you start that fight under water in the Valkyrie path level doesn't help either. :p

Basically any mistake is going to knock you into the water, where you're pretty much certain to die, most of the other bosses are more intuitive IMO.

theDeeDubs

Managed to get the achievement for beating the game with less than 10 deaths. Was cutting it close with 8, so you talk about some sweaty palms on the last boss. Just when I start to feel like I'm getting the hang of this game I'll watch a speedrun and that goes away really fast. Was watching what was apparently the world record holder, at least at the time, get the A ending in less than 16 minutes. That's just insane. Love this game so much.

http://youtu.be/7MhJQAVeSJM

A lot of things get described as "2D Dark Souls" but Volgarr is one of the only titles that I feel lives up to that; the sense of achievement when you clear a stage is genuinely euphoric. Fantastic game and entirely rooted in your own skill and persistence.

So this doesn't save progress on the Xbox One then? I beat the first boss yesterday but when I walk left having loaded it this morning nothing happened. I had to go through the first level again.

That sucks.

Damn this game. So frustrating and yet so bloody addictive!

Label

The Amiga Brotherhood
Oh man something horrible happened to me I got to the second world with no deaths. Half way through the first level my girlfriend walks into the room, Xbox recognizes her THEN the game boots back to the start of the game with her signed in.

Did not even ask before resetting the game, meaning I lost all my progress just because she walked into the room :(

Yeah, it's definitely not saving my progress. I've beaten the first boss three times now, and every time I go back to the game after turning off it starts me at the beginning and I can't move left.

Yet when I beat the boss the third time and I went into the little points room or whatever, it had my second playthrough's score showing it as best score yet.

So it can save my scores but not my actual game? Which is the one thing I want saved. I don't care about bloody scores.

xray49er

my 12 yea old self would be so disappointed in me. I had to stop playing I could not get past the very beginning after the first checkpoint. I wasn't angry I just cant spend my time re doing the same thing over and over. I suck at this game.

Krilekk

Banned
my 12 yea old self would be so disappointed in me. I had to stop playing I could not get past the very beginning after the first checkpoint. I wasn't angry I just cant spend my time re doing the same thing over and over. I suck at this game.

Or the game sucks. Whatever the case, it is a ridiculous choice for GwG because the majority will play it for a couple of minutes, die twenty times after the second gap jump and instantly delete the thing. Spelunky shows how to do old school platforming in a modern way. Volgarr is just incredibly annoying for the average player. It's like giving out a free year for a torture chamber. No value in it.

FoxSpirit

Or the game sucks. Whatever the case, it is a ridiculous choice for GwG because the majority will play it for a couple of minutes, die twenty times after the second gap jump and instantly delete the thing. Spelunky shows how to do old school platforming in a modern way. Volgarr is just incredibly annoying for the average player. It's like giving out a free year for a torture chamber. No value in it.
Spelunky is a completely different game. It's also random which can make it pretty frustrating. In Volgarr? You die, your fault, 100%. Encounter a challenge, find the solution, master it's execution, never die again at that place. Except when you mess up.

For me, Volgarr feeks like a nice relaxed action game. It's simply not hectic. Just play some bullet hell for contrast. Or some multiplayer online competitive game. Way more stressful. Take your deaths gracefully and you'll have a blast :)

Spelunky shows how to do old school platforming in a modern way.

Two completely different games, but I don't like Spelunky because it's randomized. I can't learn the level and then progress a little further the next time based on my memorization of platforms, enemy patterns, and so on. I prefer Volgarr because of this. Yes, I realize you are enhancing your skills with Spelunky so that you could theoretically take on any random situation the game throws at you but if you're getting older and your reaction time isn't that great, being able to memorize the levels makes the game so much easier.

ArjanN

Spelunky is a completely different game. It's also random which can make it pretty frustrating. In Volgarr? You die, your fault, 100%. Encounter a challenge, find the solution, master it's execution, never die again at that place. Except when you mess up.

For me, Volgarr feels like a nice relaxed action game. It's simply not hectic. Just play some bullet hell for contrast. Or some multiplayer online competitive game. Way more stressful. Take your deaths gracefully and you'll have a blast :)

Actually it's kind of similar to a bullet hell game, as in those it's also 100% pattern recognition that's the same every time.

FoxSpirit

Actually it's kind of similar to a bullet hell game, as in those it's also 100% pattern recognition that's the same every time.
True. But unlike Bullett Hell the visuals are much clearer and positioning is not incredibly fickle. Even in Touhou half the skill is being in precisely the spot you want, not 5 pixels left or right. If Volgar required constant jumps of the precision bhs want from your precision I'd call it an artificially difficult game.

If randomized level layouts is "the modern way" then the modern way is god damned terrible. Spelunky is alright (I would go as far as to say it is the only decent game of its type, stuff like Rogue Legacy and Binding of Isaac are god awful) but nothing beats levels actually made by humans and a well paced arcade style challenge. Volgarr is a top class video game.

Ziophaelin

Submitted the patch today for Microsoft's approval which should go live in a few days to address this issue ( and some other small ones).

theDeeDubs

I don't like randomly generated things either. I much prefer something like this or Dark Souls. I enjoy getting my run down. I find randomly generated things to rely too much on luck for my tastes. This is by far my favorite free thing we've received from either plus or gold. Although my progress keeps getting reset ;p.

I don't like randomly generated things either. I much prefer something like this or Dark Souls. I enjoy getting my run down. I find randomly generated things to rely too much on luck for my tastes. This is by far my favorite free thing we've received from either plus or gold. Although my progress keeps getting reset ;p.

Just take it as an opportunity to do the alternative route!

EBreda

Submitted the patch today for Microsoft's approval which should go live in a few days to address this issue ( and some other small ones).

Aside from level skipping not working, I also noticed control config doesn't work as it should.
I turned off rumble and checked "do not use down + jump to roll" or something like this to no avail.

Did you look into it as well?
Thanks!

Ziophaelin

Aside from level skipping not working, I also noticed control config doesn't work as it should.
I turned off rumble and checked "do not use down + jump to roll" or something like this to no avail.

Did you look into it as well?
Thanks!

Yup, should all be fixed when MS pushes it live. ;)

Special C

I spent an hour and a half finally beating stage 2 and the level skip didn't save =(

Oh well, should be much easier to beat it the second try but I'm not touching it until it's fixed.

bone_and_sinew

breaking down barriers in gratuitous nudity
Downloaded it on my friend's Xbone, I'll try it during the weekend when I hang out over there. I told him "it's basically Ghost N' Goblins but with Vikings instead" and his eyes lit up.

Jakabok

Wow the first level of this game is so incredibly similar to Rastan (Saga) that I'm surprised the creators haven't sued! The lizard guys are a straight ripoff. From what I've seen the later levels seem to draw from Black Tiger (Dragon) a lot as well.

richi_one

It seems that the game disappeared from my list.
I "bought" it from the website as usual, now it seems that I have to pay to buy it.
I live in Italy, can someone check if I'm not the only one with this problem?
Thanks!

Top Bottom