• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LTTP Shantae and the Pirate's Curse - Man that 3d effect so good

I downloaded this on the Xbox One. I wish they would have added some filters on it to smooth out the graphics a bit. Too be honest, I find it very hard to play.

Psxphile

Same, I'm kinda confused by the naming of the games though.
In order of release:

Shantae
Shantae: Risky's Revenge
Shantae and the Pirate's Curse
Shantae: 1/2 Genie Hero (not out yet)

I suppose it'd be easier to number them. Alas.

Patison

Are there any plans to release Risky's Revenge and 1/2 Genie Hero on 3DS? It's the only platform I currently own and I don't want to jump in the middle of the series and finish there :(

Tailzo

Are there any plans to release Risky's Revenge and 1/2 Genie Hero on 3DS? It's the only platform I currently own and I don't want to jump in the middle of the series and finish there :(

I was just cheking wikipedia to see if I could play all of them on 3ds. I saw that the sequel is planned for Vita? The prequel was for DSi, but not the directors cut?

In order of release:

Shantae

Thank you :)

MANUELF

Banned
You can play all the currently released games on the 3ds, the original is virtual console, risky revenge is dsiware and pirate curse is eshop

Rafavert

I was just cheking wikipedia to see if I could play all of them on 3ds. I saw that the sequel is planned for Vita? The prequel was for DSi, but not the directors cut?

Thank you :)

I'm on the same boat =p This was my first Shantae (thanks to the Humble Bundle), but I'm totally in for some more. I think I'll play em all on the 3DS.
Btw, if you just search for "Shantae" in the 3DS eshop it will list all 3 games, especially because there this one had a lt of references to already known characters. *needs to know more about Rottytops*

MAtgS

In order of release:

Shantae

They should really do a remake of the original one of these days. Get it out on more platforms than just 3DS VC.

ZeroX03

Banned
Playing Pirate's Curse now. It's an okay game. The level design isn't too strong, save points in odd places, secrets that aren't well placed and the like. There's no sense of joy in exploring and finding new objects is like "oh". Also just controlling her isn't too smooth.

Not bad, but there's rough competition.

MacTag

Banned

Risky's Revenge Director's Cut is also announced for 3DS btw. It just hasn't released yet.

Rafavert

Slightly off topic, but for the people in Europe, if you buy Risky's Revenge you get enough gold coins to buy the 10% off Fire Emblem Fates. No idea if the 10% apply to all versions or just one.

jblank83

2d games with layers are extremely effective on the 3DS.

Another game with great 3d layers is Shovel Knight, for instance. I remember Ghost Recon having surprisingly good 3d as well.

I downloaded this on the Xbox One. I wish they would have added some filters on it to smooth out the graphics a bit. Too be honest, I find it very hard to play.

Yeah. After looking at the screenshots on the store, I knew my TV was way too big to play this game blown up. Seems like playing it on a handheld or small laptop would be fine.

Fandangox

I also got it on the bundle, I have been mostly playing all of them at the same time, rather than playing one till completion. Although this one was a bit short, its the first one I finished.

Never played a Shantae game before, but I thought it was pretty fun, the lite-metroid-like elements of getting power-ups and being able to reach new areas on previous levels is always fun to me. The platforming itself wasn't hard though, except for the very last level. Interested in Half-Genie hero now, but looking at the other games, it seems she had different powerset in all the games from Pirate's Curse, so not sure if the "Get a powerup, new areas become available" thing will still be present in the new game.

Installed the wiiu version because of the higher resolution charater portraits on the tv and I could always play it on the gamepad if I want to play it on the bed or something, but reading here that the 3d effect is great maybe I also install that one.
I already played the dsi one on my 3ds and dsi before, so I wanted also wanted a change of scenery.

Get a powerup, new areas become available" thing will still be present in the new game.

Previously shantae games did have that sort of system, but you unlocked transformations rather than items to get new abilities to access new areas, such as a monkey transform that lets you climb walls.

Fandangox

Previously shantae games did have that sort of system, but you unlocked transformations rather than items to get new abilities to access new areas, such as a monkey transform that lets you climb walls.

Ah good, then I'll have Half-Genie hero on my radar, whenever that comes out, I think I will miss out the pirate abilities though.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
WVW69jK5erA5VTMugl

It looks good, and thanks to the kindness of digitaldevmike from the humble bundle thread, I got a code for the game! So I will be joining this party soon. I played Risky's Revenge a few years ago and enjoyed it.

Risky's Revenge Director's Cut is also announced for 3DS btw. It just hasn't released yet.

really? I thought I heard that they would have to remake the game for 3DS so they weren't going to do it...

Well, I started playing it today and beat the first Island boss. It is definitely a step up from Risky's Revenge. The only gripe I have is that you have to tap the touch screen to use a health recover. You should be able to pause the screen and use it, because you could possibly die while trying to tap the bottom screen.

Other than that, I like the music and graphics. Plus the game design is good, what I like is that each level is an island so I don't have to continue right away. When I want to play it, I can pick it right back up and start a completely new area.

Stopdoor

Well, I started playing it today and beat the first Island boss. It is definitely a step up from Risky's Revenge. The only gripe I have is that you have to tap the touch screen to use a health recover. You should be able to pause the screen and use it, because you could possibly die while trying to tap the bottom screen.

Other than that, I like the music and graphics. Plus the game design is good, what I like is that each level is an island so I don't have to continue right away. When I want to play it, I can pick it right back up and start a completely new area.

It actually has some New 3DS features, you can use ZL and ZR to change menus, the circle pad to select items, and ZL+ZR to consume items, it's a subtle improvement, but of course without a New 3DS you're out of luck.

It actually has some New 3DS features, you can use ZL and ZR to change menus, the circle pad to select items, and ZL+ZR to consume items, it's a subtle improvement, but of course without a New 3DS you're out of luck.

I noticed that when I was looking through the virtual manual. I don't have a New 3DS yet though. Anyways, this game doesn't seem like it'll be too hard since you have auto-potions and milk to do more damage.

Narroo

I just got this and Risky's Revenge from the humble bundles.

Pirate's Curse is a fairly solid game, although it has a few issues.

After that, Risky's revenge was a disappointment. It the quality increase for 1/2 Genie hero is the same as going from Risky's Revenge to Pirate's Curse, we might have great game on our hands.

The world map layout and pirate items enhanced the game so, so much.

Narroo

This also works on the standard 3DS if you use the circle pad pro.

I played the DSiWare of Risky's Revenge, and I will say, Pirate's Curse is definitely way better... However, there is a new version of Risky's Revenge right? I will imagine that will be an upgrade from the original.

@MUWANdo

Banned
I played the DSiWare of Risky's Revenge, and I will say, Pirate's Curse is definitely way better... However, there is a new version of Risky's Revenge right? I will imagine that will be an upgrade from the original.

The "director's cut" doesn't make the game radically better; they improved the map, made it easier to warp from place to place, etc but they didn't really add any substantial new content or anything.

It was listed online by a couple different sources but it was never formally announced and at this point you'd have to imagine it's not coming.

krae_man

I've been working my way through the game since grabbing it via the humble bundle and I'm thoroughly enjoying it.

I'm on the second last stage or whatever(there's only one island still greyed out) and I've done most of the backtracking. There still are some squids and bat things I haven't found yet(or figured out how to get to). I'm assuming what I have left requires a future ability.

The He-Man thing cracked me up.

Indelible

It took me ten hours to 100% this game on Wii U, what a fun platformer. Makes me really excited for half-genie hero this fall.

krae_man

Is there a glitched cacklebat in scuttletown?

It says I'm missing one but I know I got all 5. I even went back to all 5 locations and used my lamp just in case I missed some magic and nothing.

Edit never mind. Found it.

Simbabbad

3D or no 3D, the game was incredibly mediocre to the point I didn't even finish it. I'm done with any game where WayForward is in charge of the gameplay.

Adam Prime

hates soccer, is Mexican
3D or no 3D, the game was incredibly mediocre to the point I didn't even finish it. I'm done with any game where WayForward is in charge of the gameplay.

Wow, I completely disagree. I'm about halfway thorough the game , I love it, it's Shovel Knight level good!

Noogy

Haven't played Pirate's Curse yet but love the previous Shantae games. And yeah, I think stereoscopic 2D games are fantastic, it's a shame how few of them there are.

El Odio

Banned
Playing Pirate's Curse now. It's an okay game. The level design isn't too strong, save points in odd places, secrets that aren't well placed and the like. There's no sense of joy in exploring and finding new objects is like "oh". Also just controlling her isn't too smooth.

Not bad, but there's rough competition.
This is kind of how I feel. I'm up to the snow island and while it's a very nice fame it isn't doing much to stand out for me. It feels like a very constrained metroidvania in that there's secrets to be found via the pirate items you find but there's not many of them and whatever's hidden isn't exciting.

Terrorblot

It really is a crime I haven't played any of the Shantae games yet. Also this is a bizarre thing to ask but did Shantae have a cameo in Mario Land 3? I have this weird memory of her crossing over but that makes no logical sense at all and I can't find anything online that confirms this.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
It really is a crime I haven't played any of the Shantae games yet. Also this is a bizarre thing to ask but did Shantae have a cameo in Mario Land 3? I have this weird memory of her crossing over but that makes no logical sense at all and I can't find anything online that confirms this.
You may have been thinking of the pirate leader Captain Syrup in Mario Land 3: Wario Land.

She looks a bit Shantae-like and she summons a genie so maybe there's a mental association there.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Shovel Knight just barely beats this game out for best platformer of 2014.

This game is miles ahead of Risky's Revenge and Shantae (GBC).

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
How did the PC version of this turn out? Any issues that suggest I should stick to the Wii u version, or is it solid?

Newest humble made me start Risky's Revenge on Steam and will be playing this on the 3DS/Wii U shortly after thanks humble!

krae_man

Maybe talk to this guy:

If it's the one I'm thinking about, it's filled to the brim with jewels as well as a nice throwback. But you need a certain skill to access it.

Yep that's the one. I wasn't even looking for it. I just stumbled on it leaving the level after I got the last squid I needed in it.

I'm in this camp. I've enjoyed what I've played so far. The only thing is I wish I knew how to make more money quickly...

I had no money shortage. I had enough money for powerups all the time and was maxed out around the third last island. I backtracked every level once I got a new ability for the secrets it unlocked and the extra gems I got killing stuff along the way were more then enough.

rardk64

Pirate's Curse was the first (and as of yet, only) game I've played in the series. I absolutely loved it. It was really fun, with extremely tight controls and great humour in the writing. I loved every bit of it. I hope 1/2 Genie Hero can live up to it, to be honest.

Game itself was fucking amazing. If they can one up this with the reboot we have a great game on our hands.

Uh...I don't think it's a reboot.

I hope it's not.

marmoka

Banned
A friend sent my a download code of the Wii U version 2 weeks ago. I didn't have any curiosity for this game, but after downloading my first Shantae game, and playing it... WOW! I didn't expect this to be so good. I'm really enjoying its Metroidvanian gameplay, the puzzles, and those awful and bad jokes, haha.

Now I'm sad because lots of people are missing a great game. Too bad the franchise is unknown for most gamers. They should give it a try.

krae_man

100%ed the game last night and Bought the original Game Boy color game right away.

Man that game is balls hard. 10 minutes in and I already have to do pixel perfect running jumps.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
Beat it with the meek doge ending last night. Gonna try and collect all if the bats tonight so I can get real doge ending.

Top Bottom